Author Topic: Leading a Happy and Satisfied Life  (Read 2382 times)

srkudai

Leading a Happy and Satisfied Life
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
Friends,
:) Leading a happy, satisfied life with no inner conflicts is a possibility I am here to talk about. External circumstances can never be made perfectly conflictless. If possible we might avoid conflict. But externally there is no possibility of conflictless living. But internally its possible to lead a conflictless life. A life of inner harmony if we may like to term it that way.

Everyone, irrespective of their upbringing, irrespective of their faith and beliefs, wants to lead a happy life. A life where there is no sense of emptiness within. Externally it may never be possible. If my boss says something wrong and i am left with no option but to contradict him, it can create conflict. Externally we can try but its not possible to lead a totally conflictless life.

But inner harmony or calmness is possible. I would intentionally avoid all religious terms here. Pure English, no Sankrit, no Vedanta nor any other scripture.

How to lead such a life ? In our Mathematical foundations class we discussed a very interesting topic: What do we seek in life!
So we made a list
a) Money
b) Pleasures
c) Fame
d) Luxury

and finally we added one extra element (0) Satisfaction / Happiness / Peace.
And then we wanted people to chose one and only one of all these. Only one is gauranteed to be there. Rest may or may not be there.

Suppose this choice is presented to each one of us by none other than God [presuming there is one... if someone does not believe in God, this term may be replaced with anything else.]. what would be our choice?

Everyone in the class selected satisfaction. What use is money without happiness or peace?
We seek to make ourselves happy, satisfied and peaceful ... and that we do not just want for a few moments, but the whole life. How do we achieve this?
Let us explore this ... this is the reason I presented this thread.

Long before we understand how we can lead a conflictless life , we need understand how we create inner conflicts in life. We need to know how to handle our minds / thoughts. If I may be allowed to use an example, if I am given a machine ... say , a car, I do not know how to drive the car and therefore I end up in an accident. The intention of the person who gave me the gift is not to murder me. A car is a useful tool, a machine that is given to me. I can learn to drive and drive comfortably to my destination or I can misuse it and end up accidents and troubles.

The same thing with mind. Mind is a wonderful blessing if we know how to use it. If we know how to handle our thoughts, the thoughts are a blessing. if we do not know how to handle our thoughts, the thoughts are a curse. This is what we see in the society. A poor village farmer knows very few things, he is happy with himself. But his son who knows about the luxuries of the city life cannot remain happy with what he has.

thats why ignorance is bliss. Coz there are not many thoughts to handle. So if you find someone who is happy due to ignorance... feed a few thoughts in his brain and he is gone.

Let us not therefore condemn the thoughts. Its only because of these thoughts that we have a chance for development. Without thoughts no scientific development is possible. One should know how to handle one's thoughts ... just as the person in the example, above, needed to learn to drive his car.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Leading a Happy and Satisfied Life
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
Udai garu,

Very nice description andi.

Yes i agree with you once again that it is not needed to eliminate thoughts as sometimes suggested by J.K garu.

I will follow Sri Sundara Chaitanya Swami gari teachings with regards to thoughts and necessisty of removing thoughts.

amiatall

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »
Trying to remove thoughts is like trying to remove all the raindrops. I would wish a good luck in doing so, but since it is impossible, I wish people just focused more on finding the source of those raindrops. Being the cloud, raindrops never makes you wet.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »
Dear Udai ji,

Before giving command to our thoughts, we should observe our thoughts at first. Vichara marga helps to observe. A sincere observer can handle his thoughts nicely.  Another way is like Krishna says, we can do all the karmas following our thoughts and escape without expecting the result. That is total surrender on God or Guru. So if a man who follows Ramana can follow the thought or he can do any karmas by surrendering to God. These are the both ways which help us for
leading a happy and satisfied life.

Ramanaduli

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
Dear srkudai,

Good write up. escaping from some thoughts often complicate matters and there remains an unwanted residue in the mind. However Japa is not often used to escape from thoughts. It has multiple functions. During good health it acts like vitamins. During illness it acts like medicine.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »

Dear srkudai,

Nice posts.  Good thoughts are to be cultivated and the along with
it, bad thoughts should be removed.  It is like growing paddy along
with removing the weeds.  There will be then a stage, when a
deep silence, mounam will give us the contentment. 

Arunachala Siva.