Author Topic: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna  (Read 56933 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »
Beautiful! Thank you, Sri Ravi!
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2012, 06:40:19 AM »
Ramana,
Yes,friend.M has captured the scenes and talks of the Master so wonderfully.Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »
Near the east door of his room Narendra and the other devotees were gossiping.

NARENDRA: "How do you find the young men nowadays?"

M: "They are not bad; but they don't receive any religious instructions".

NARENDRA: "But from my experience I feel they are going to the dogs. They smoke
cigarettes, indulge in frivolous talk, enjoy foppishness, play truant, and do everything of
that sort. I have even seen them visiting questionable places."

M: "I didn't notice such things during our student days."

NARENDRA: "Perhaps you didn't mix with the students intimately. I have even seen them
talking with people of immoral character. Perhaps they are on terms of intimacy with
them."

M: "It is strange indeed."

NARENDRA: "I know that many of them form bad habits. It would be proper if the
guardians of the boys, and the authorities, kept their eyes on these matters."

They Were talking thus when Sri Ramakrishna came to them and asked with a smile,
"Well, what are you talking about?"

NARENDRA: "I have been asking M. about the boys in the schools. The conduct of
students nowadays isn't all that it should be."

The Master became grave and said to M. rather seriously: "This kind of conversation is not
good. It isn't desirable to indulge in any talk but talk of God. You are their senior, and you
are intelligent. You should not have encouraged them to talk about such matters."

Narendra was then about nineteen years old, and M. about twenty-eight. Thus admonished,
M. felt embarrassed, and the others also fell silent.

While the devotees were enjoying their meal, Sri Ramakrishna stood by and watched them
with intense delight. That night the Master's joy was very great.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »
After supper the devotees rested on the mat spread on the floor of the Master's room. They
began to talk with him. It was indeed a mart of joy. The Master asked Narendra to sing the
song beginning with the line: "In Wisdom's firmament the moon of Love is rising full."

Narendra sang, and other devotees played the drums and cymbals:

In Wisdom's firmament the moon of Love is rising full,
And Love's flood-tide, in surging waves, is flowing everywhere.
O Lord, how full of bliss Thou art! Victory unto Thee!
On every side shine devotees, like stars around the moon;
Their Friend, the Lord All-merciful, joyously plays with them.
Behold! the gates of paradise today are open wide.
The soft spring wind of the New Day raises fresh waves of joy;
Gently it carries to the earth the fragrance of God's Love,
Till all the yogis, drunk with bliss, are lost in ecstasy.
Upon the sea of the world unfolds the lotus of the New Day,
And there the Mother sits enshrined in blissful majesty.
See how the bees are mad with joy, sipping the nectar there!
Behold the Mother's radiant face, which so enchants the heart
And captivates the universe! About Her Lotus Feet
Bands of ecstatic holy men are dancing in delight.
What matchless loveliness is Hers! What infinite content
Pervades the heart when She appears! O brothers, says Premdas,
I humbly beg you, one and all, to sing the Mother's praise!

Sri Ramakrishna sang and danced, and the devotees danced around him.

A devotee's dream

When the song was over, the Master walked up and down the northeast verandah, where
Hazra was seated with M. The Master sat down there. He asked a devotee, "Do you ever
have dreams?"

DEVOTEE: "Yes, sir. The other day I dreamt a strange dream. I saw the whole world
enveloped in water. There was water on all sides. A few boats were visible, but suddenly
huge waves appeared and sank them. I was about to board a ship with a few others, when
we saw a brahmin walking over that expanse of water. I asked him, 'How can you walk
over the deep?' The brahmin said with a smile: 'Oh, there is no difficulty about that. There
is a bridge under the water.' I said to him, 'Where are you going?' 'To Bhawanipur, the city
of the Divine Mother', he replied. 'Wait a little', I cried. 'I shall accompany you.' "

MASTER: "Oh. I am thrilled to hear the story!"

DEVOTEE: "The brahmin said: 'I am in a hurry. It will take you some time to get out of the
boat. Good-bye. Remember this path and come after me.

MASTER: "Oh, my hair is standing on end! Please be initiated by a guru as soon as
possible."

Shortly before midnight Narendra and the other devotees lay down on a bed made on the
floor of the Master's room.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
At dawn some of the devotees were up. They saw the Master, naked as a child, pacing up
and down the room, repeating the names of the various gods and goddesses. His voice was
sweet as nectar. Now he would look at the Ganges, now stop in front of the pictures
hanging on the wall and bow down before them, chanting all the while the holy names in
his sweet voice. He chanted: "Veda, Purana, Tantra; Gita, Gayatri; Bhagavata, Bhakta,
Bhagavan." Referring to the Gita, he repeated many times, "Tagi, tagi, tagi." Now and then
he would say: "O Mother, Thou art verily Brahman, and Thou art verily Sakti. Thou art
Purusha and Thou art Prakriti. Thou art Virat. Thou art the Absolute, and Thou dost
manifest Thyself as the Relative. Thou art verily the twenty-four cosmic principles."

In the mean time the morning service had begun in the temples of Kali and Radhakanta.
Sounds of conch-shells and cymbals were carried on the air. The devotees came outside the
room and saw the priests and servants gathering flowers in the garden for the divine service
in the temples. From the nahabat floated the sweet melody of musical instruments, befitting
the morning hours.

Narendra and the other devotees finished their morning duties and came to the Master.
With a sweet smile on his lips Sri Ramakrishna was standing on the northeast verandah,
close to his own room.

NARENDRA: "We noticed several sannyasis belonging to the sect of Nanak in the
Panchavati."

MASTER: "Yes, they arrived here yesterday. (To Narendra) I'd like to see you all sitting
together on the mat."

As they sat there the Master looked at them with evident delight. He then began to talk with
them. Narendra asked about spiritual discipline.

MASTER: "Bhakti, love of God, is the essence of all spiritual discipline. Through love one
acquires renunciation and discrimination naturally."

Disciplines of Tantra

NARENDRA: "Isn't it true that the Tantra prescribes spiritual discipline in the company of
woman?"

MASTER: "That is not desirable. It is a very difficult path and often causes the aspirant's
downfall. There are three such kinds of discipline. One may regard woman as one's
mistress or look on oneself as her handmaid or as her child. I look on woman as my mother.
To look on oneself as her handmaid is also good; but it is extremely difficult to practise
spiritual discipline looking on woman as one's mistress. To regard oneself as her child is a
very pure attitude."

The sannyasis belonging to the sect of Nanak entered the room and greeted the Master,
saying, "Namo Narayanaya." Sri Ramakrishna asked them to sit down.

All is possible with God

MASTFR: "Nothing is impossible for God. Nobody can describe His nature in words.
Everything is possible for Him. There lived at a certain place two yogis who were
practising spiritual discipline. The sage Narada was passing that way one day. Realizing
who he was, one of the yogis said: 'You have just come from God Himself. What is He
doing now?' Narada replied, 'Why, I saw Him making camels and elephants pass and repass
through the eye of a needle.' At this the yogi said: 'Is that anything to wonder at?
Everything is possible for God.' But the other yogi said: 'What? Making elephants pass
through the eye of a needle - is that ever possible? You have never been to the Lord's
dwelling-place.' "

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2012, 08:58:33 PM »
Yes, Sri Ravi. There is two kind of Tantra. One is called "black", the other "white". Black Tantra 'understands' all prescriptions literally. White Tantra interprets them metaphisically. In my opinion black Tantra can be practiced by very advanced souls.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2012, 09:11:28 AM »
Hari,
Sri Ramakrishna practised Tantric discipline under the Guidance of Bhairavi Brahmani.I have posted this in the 'Rough-Notebook'thread under the 'General Discussion' category.I do not agree with your opinion that 'advanced souls' only can practise what you call as 'Black Tantra'.Why do I say so?A simple reading of my previous post is enough proof!Here Sri Ramakrishna tells Narendra:"That is not desirable. It is a very difficult path and often causes the aspirant's
downfall."
.Narendra is none other than Swami Vivekananda ,who Sri Ramakrishna revered very highly as 'one' who was born to teach the world.
Sri Ramakrishna permitted the Tantric approach for Householders who lived a Dharmic life.With the cooperation and support of a spiritually inclined spouse,it is definitely possible to practise the Tantra way and sublimate the passion and channelise it inwards ,rather than dissipate it outwards.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »
At nine o'clock in the morning, while the Master was still sitting in his room, Manomohan
arrived from Konnagar with some members of his family. In answer to Sri Ramakrishna's
kind inquiries, Manomohan explained that he was taking them to Calcutta. The Master said:
"Today is the first day of the Bengali month, an inauspicious day for undertaking a journey.
I hope everything will be well with you." With a smile he began to talk of other matters.
When Narendra and his friends had finished bathing in the Ganges, the Master said to them
earnestly: "Go to the Panchavati and meditate there under the banyan-tree. Shall I give you
something to sit on?"

Discrimination and dispassion

About half past ten Narendra and his Brahmo friends were meditating in the Panchavati.
After a while Sri Ramakrishna came to them. M., too, was present.

The Master said to the Brahmo devotees: "In meditation one must be absorbed in God. By
merely floating on the surface of the water, can you reach the gems lying at the bottom of
the sea?"

Then he sang:
Taking the name of Kali, dive deep down,
O mind, Into the heart's fathomless depths,
Where many a precious gem lies hid.
But never believe the bed of the ocean bare of gems
If in the first few dives you fail;
With firm resolve and self-control
Dive deep and make your way to Mother Kali's realm.
Down in the ocean depths of heavenly Wisdom lie
The wondrous pearls of Peace, O mind;
And you yourself can gather them,
If you but have pure love and follow the scriptures' rule.
Within those ocean depths, as well,
Six alligators, lurk - lust, anger, and the rest -
Swimming about in search of prey.
Smear yourself with the turmeric of discrimination;
The very smell of it will shield you from their jaws.
Upon the ocean bed lie strewn
Unnumbered pearls and precious gems;
Plunge in, says Ramprasad, and gather up handfuls there!

Narendra and his friends came down from their seats on the raised platform of the
Panchavati and stood near the Master. He returned to his room with them. The Master
continued: "When you plunge in the water of the ocean, you may be attacked by alligators.
But they won't touch you if your body is smeared with turmeric. There are no doubt six
alligators - lust, anger, avarice, and so on - within you, in the 'heart's fathomless depths'.
But protect yourself with the turmeric of discrimination and renunciation, and they won't
touch you.
"

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
Hari,
Sri Ramakrishna practised Tantric discipline under the Guidance of Bhairavi Brahmani.I have posted this in the 'Rough-Notebook'thread under the 'General Discussion' category.I do not agree with your opinion that 'advanced souls' only can practise what you call as 'Black Tantra'.Why do I say so?A simple reading of my previous post is enough proof!Here Sri Ramakrishna tells Narendra:"That is not desirable. It is a very difficult path and often causes the aspirant's
downfall.".Narendra is none other than Swami Vivekananda ,who Sri Ramakrishna revered very highly as 'one' who was born to teach the world.
Sri Ramakrishna permitted the Tantric approach for Householders who lived a Dharmic life.With the cooperation and support of a spiritually inclined spouse,it is definitely possible to practise the Tantra way and sublimate the passion and channelise it inwards ,rather than dissipate it outwards.
Namaskar.

That's my feeling. To not be influenced negatively by 'black Tantra' you must have advanced Viveka, strong desire for liberation and consciously seeking it by these rituals (eating meat, fish, having sex and so on), not attaching to them and so on. If you are not advanced soul you eventaully will fall as Sri Ramakrishna has pointed out.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »
Hari,
"To not be influenced negatively by 'black Tantra' you must have advanced Viveka, strong desire for liberation and consciously seeking it by these rituals (eating meat, fish, having sex and so on), not attaching to them and so on"

If one has such a Viveka and Vairagya,one will not have anything to overcome!It is only prescribed for people in the early stages who cannot get over them.
It is as simple as this:A Nonsmoker need not free himself from smoking.Only the 'smoker' has to Practise to give up smoking and he can do this by abstaining(the Right handed path) or by 'consciously smoking a limted number and reducing it gradually until it falls off'(vAmachara,the left handed path).

It is only the 'Advanced soul' that can fall!The man in the pits cannot fall.Hence the warning from the Master to steer clear of needless curiosity.

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »
If your Viveka is weak, desire for liberation - small and so on doing 'black Tantra' you just delude yourself that you are doing any sadhana. It is just satisfying your desires and this makes you even falling down from you starting point than advancing. If advanced soul fall then may be it is not advanced enough.

I agree that 'black Tantra' is for those who has such desires but let's not forget that even advanced souls have not lost their desire for sex and food. 'Black Tantra' is meant for overcoming the ritual while doing them. But this cannot happen without Viveka, Mumukshutva and so on. The goal is achieving Vairagya which is pre-requisite for liberation. It is just my opinion. I don't claim I am right.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
Hari,
I am a householder and have fundamental experience in this matter.I am not saying from a theoretical perspective or just as a matter of opinion.
Even with a little progress ,the Body consciousness loses its hold and it is impossible to continue to practise the 'Black Tantra' as you call it.How do you lift a Weight when the Weight is no longer felt!
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
I think you are talking more about the physical, not mental. I can have sex without identifying with the process. The body is excited, horny and so on and do sex but does it mean tha "I am doing it" is there? My opinion is also based on something. I don't speak just theoretically and I rearly do it. Having sex or not have little in common with spirituality. Sri Ramakrishna is not great just because He has not done sex. There are many jnanis and bhaktas who are householders and have sex. Having or not having sex has more in common with destiny than spirituality. Bhagavan Ramana did not prescribe physical brahmacharya to His followers. The key He said is to mentally abstain from what you are doing. You cannot escape from what your body is destined to experience He has said. Your body can lose interest to sex but does your wife has lost it? Must she be spiritual to marry her?
How do you lift a Weight when the Weight is no longer felt!

Just as the people who has lost smell and taste continue to eat because their body is designed to do it to survive. It is true that the greater bliss remove lesser one. But lets not forget that in family sex is not something which only concerns you. It concerns your soulmate also. It is the same as everything. It is not right for me to have a family and suddenly to decide to stay at home and to meditate just because you want it and is 'very spiritual'. You have responsibility to your wife and children. 'Spiritual' is very distorted term these days. People think that meditating all day and abstaining from sex and eating particular quantity of food make them very spiritual and advanced. I don't think so. Especially for bhaktas and housholder bhaktas.

So my point is that there is not wrong to eat meat, fish and have sex but this is not for immature souls. For example Bhagavan has said that it is immaterial for jnanis and advanced souls what they eat, but it is important for beginners. Yes, advanced souls can fall down but their fall will be lesser than that of the immature ones because their discrimination, dispassion and so on is more advanced.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
Hari,
I have nothing more to say.If you have anything further to add,I request you to post it in the Rough-Note book Thread under the General Discussion Category.
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
All right. Thank you!