Author Topic: Important Couplets From Patanjali Yoga Sutras  (Read 3567 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Important Couplets From Patanjali Yoga Sutras
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »
Translation by BonGiovanni

1.2. Union is restraining the thought-streams natural to the mind.

1.3. Then the seer dwells in his own nature.

1.12. These thought-streams are controlled by practice and non-attachment.

1.15. Desirelessness towards the seen and the unseen gives the consciousness of mastery.

1.27. God's voice is Om.

1.28. The repetition of Om should be made with an understanding of its meaning.

1.30. Disease, inertia, doubt, lack of enthusiasm, laziness, sensuality, mind-wandering, missing the point, instability- these distractions of the mind are the obstacles.

Part Two on Spiritual Disciplines

2.7 Attachment is that magnetic pattern which clusters in pleasure and pulls one towards such experience.

2.20 The indweller is pure consciousness only, which though pure, sees through the mind and is identified by ego as being only the mind.

2.26 The continuous practice of discrimination is the means of attaining liberation.

2.30 Self-restraint in actions includes abstention from violence, from falsehoods, from stealing, from sexual engagements, and from acceptance of gifts.

2.32 The fixed observances are cleanliness, contentment, austerity, study and persevering devotion to God.

2.34 Improper thoughts and emotions such as those of violence- whether done, caused to be done, or even approved of- indeed, any thought originating in desire, anger or delusion, whether mild medium or intense- do all result in endless pain and misery. Overcome such distractions by pondering on the opposites.

2.37 All jewels approach him who is confirmed in honesty.

2.38 When one is confirmed in celibacy, spiritual vigor is gained.

2.39 When one is confirmed in non-possessiveness, the knowledge of the why and how of existence is attained.

2.40 From purity follows a withdrawal from enchantment over one's own body as well as a cessation of desire for physical contact with others.

2.41 As a result of contentment there is purity of mind, one-pointedness, control of the senses, and fitness for the vision of the self.

2.42 Supreme happiness is gained via contentment.

2.54 When the mind maintains awareness, yet does not mingle with the senses, nor the senses with sense impressions, then self-awareness blossoms.

2.55 In this way comes mastery over the senses.

Part Three on Divine Powers

3.1 One-pointedness is steadfastness of the mind.

3.2 Unbroken continuation of that mental ability is meditation.

3.3 That same meditation when there is only consciousness of the object of meditation and not of the mind is realization.

Part Four on Realizations

4.4 Created minds arise from egoism alone.

4.27 Distractions arise from habitual thought patterns when practice is intermittent.

4.34 When the attributes cease mutative association with awarenessness, they resolve into dormancy in Nature, and the indweller shines forth as pure consciousness. This is absolute freedom.

Source: http://www.celextel.org/othervedantabooks/patanjaliyogasutras.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Important Couplets From Patanjali Yoga Sutras
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »

Dear prasanth,

The axiom in I.2 reads:

Yogam chittam vritthi nirodham.

Yoga is the control of thought waves in the mind.

I am of the view, that this one axiom sums up the entire
teachings of Bhagavan Ramana.  Killing the thoughts.  Good
thoughts should replace the bad thoughts and the good thoughts
should also be finally killed. 

The mind/ ego appears to be intelligent and conscious.  Patanjali says that it is not.  It has only a borrowed intelligence. The Atma
is Intelligence Itself.  It is Pure Consciousness.  The mind/ego
merely reflects that consciousness and so appears to be conscious.  All knowledge or perception is a thought-wave, vritti in mind.
All knowledge is therefore objective.  Only when the Seer, the
Atma is the real Seer. 

Bhagavan Ramana says in Verse 15 of Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai:

Who can ever find Thee?  The Eye of the eye art Thou, and without eyes Thou seest, Oh Arunachala!  [Tr. A.Osborne].

Again I. 3:

Then the man abides in his real nature.

When the ocean of mind becomes clear and still, man knows
himself, as he really is, always was, and always will be.  He
knows that he is the Atman.  His 'personality', his mistaken
belief in himself as a separate, unique individual disappears.  Such a man is a free, illumined Brahma Jnani.

Sri M.P. Pandit calls Bhagavan as Mighty Impersonality.

Bhagavan Ramana says in Sri Arunachala Ashtakam, Verse 2:

'Who is the seer?'  When I sought within, I watched the disappearance of the seer and what survived him.  No thought of 'I saw' arose; how then could be thought 'I did not see' arise?
Who has the power to convey this in word, when even Thou as Sri Daksihamurty, couldst do so in ancient days by Silence only?  Only to convey by silence, Thy transcendent state,  Thou standest as a Hill, shining from heaven to earth.  [Tr. A. Osborne].

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Important Couplets From Patanjali Yoga Sutras
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »

Again, the axioms in II of Patanjali Yoga Sutra can be seen to be
the central core teachings of Bhagavan Ramana.

II.20  The Atman - the experiencer - is pure consciousness.  It appears to take on the changing colours of the mind.  In reality,
it is unchangeable.

II.21 The object of experience exists only to serve the purpose of
the Atman.

II. 22  Though the  object of experience becomes unreal to him,
who has reached the state of liberation, it remains real to all other beings.

II. 23  The Atman - the experiencer - is identified with Prakriti
- the object of experience - in order that the true nature of both
Prakriti and Atman may be known. 

II.24   This identification is caused by ignorance.

II.25  When ignorance has been destroyed, this identification ceases.  Then bondage is at an end, and the experiencer is independent and free.

II.26   The ignorance is destroyed by awakening to knowledge of the Atman, until no trace of illusion remains.

Bhagavan Ramana has said:  The I thought is the first thought.
From this all other thoughts spring up.  These thoughts make
a man to identify himself with Prakriti.  And this is ignorance.
When this ignorance, the primal ignorance viz., I thought
[Aham Vritti] is destroyed by awakening to knowledge of the
Atman, until no trace of illusion remains, that is when the I
turns inwards, and then becomes quiescent in the Self, the realization dawns.  This is Aham Sphurti.  When the abidance in
the Self becomes permanent, it is Aham Sphurana.

Arunachala Siva.