Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1112079 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5865 on: March 23, 2019, 08:18:52 AM »
We bow our heads to holy Ramana, the ocean of grace, the infinite, incommensurable, unborn primal divinity, Guru of all Gurus, shining in the Hearts of all creatures as 'I'.
Benedictory Verse,

Becoming keenly aware that worldly life is full of misery, because it is infested with desire and fear, one should approach a Guru, a sage who is free from those bad forces, and after doing reverence to his holy feet should question him about how to become free.
V.3

The sage will give out in reply the supreme secret, confirmed by the [uniform] experience of all sages: "If you know yourself, there is no suffering for you. If you suffer [it only means that] you do not know yourself."
V.4

"Since you have no suffering in deep sleep, this suffering is only falsely ascribed to your Self. Realise the truth of yourself by the resolve to know it, and thereafter remain in your own true nature, which is bliss."
V.5

The sage who has attained the supreme state is free, even though his body survives, [because] he does not look upon it as himself nor as belonging to himself. Therefore, that sage is really bodiless.
V.20

The aspirant to deliverance must resort to a sage as his Guru, that is, one who has awakened from the sleep of ignorance of the Self and is therefore free from delusion. How can one who has not awakened from that sleep awaken others who are in the same state?
V.24

Only that devotion to the Guru is good which is rendered to a sage-Guru, and which regards him as identical with God. Only by such devotion does one attain freedom from delusion. Truly the sage is not other than God.
V.25

Sri Ramana Paravidyopanishad, (The Supreme Science of the Self as Taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:49:42 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: March 23, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
He (K. K. Nambiar) dreamt that Bhagavan was seated in the Old Hall where there was a yogi called Sridhar doing pranayama. He was so focused on doing pranayama that sparks were emanating from his body and even from his head. The yogi was suffering terribly. As Bhagavan looked at Sridhar, he pleaded to Bhagavan, "Bhagavan, I am suffering. Please help me." Bhagavan immediately replied, "Stop all these gymnastics. Pursue Self Enquiry. That is the safest, simplest, most direct and powerful way of getting to the truth." Nambiar woke up and went to Ramanasramam. He ran into the hall and prostrated before Bhagavan. The yogi, Sridhar, was also in the hall. Nambiar signalled to Sridhar to come out. He narrated his dream and Sridhar very gratefully said, "Thank you. I was suffering so much. I wanted to ask Bhagavan, but I could not gather the courage to do so and I was also not in a condition to ask him. Thank you once again." Nambiar understood from the dreams that one should not be drawn towards miracles, but towards the direct path of Self Enquiry.

Sri Ramana Periya Puranam

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:20:00 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: March 23, 2019, 11:30:42 AM »
Mr. Ekanath Rao, an Engineer, asked Sri Bhagavan if solitude is necessary for vichara (Enquiry).

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There is solitude everywhere. The individual is solitary always. His business is to find it out within, and not seek it without.

Devotee: The work-a-day world is distracting.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Do not allow yourself to be distracted. Enquire for whom there is distraction. It will not afflict you after a little practice.

Devotee: Even the attempt is impossible.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Make it and it will be found not so difficult.

Devotee: But the answer does not come for the search inward.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The enquirer is the answer and no other answer can come. What comes afresh cannot be true. What always is, is true.
Talk 44.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: March 24, 2019, 08:27:17 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The Truth is that Self is constant and unintermittent Awareness. The object of enquiry is to find the true nature of the Self as Awareness. Let one practise enquiry so long as separateness is perceived. If once realisation arises there is no further need for enquiry. The question will also not arise. Can awareness ever think of questioning who is aware? Awareness remains pure and simple. The enquirer is aware of his own individuality. Enquiry does not stand in the way of his individual awareness; nor does external work interfere with such awareness. If work, seemingly external, does not obstruct the individual awareness, will the work, realised to be not separate from the Self, obstruct the uninterrupted Awareness of the Self, which is One without a second and which is not an individual separate from work?
T--454

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:38:14 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: March 24, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »
Sri K. Lakshmana Sarma (WHO):

The Sage describes the method of the Quest in the following: "Just as one dives into a lake, seeking a thing that has fallen in, so should the seeker dive into the Heart, resolved to find wherefrom rises the ego-sense, restraining speech and the vital breath." This brings out the devotional aspect of the Quest; as the diver devotes himself to his purpose--the  recovery of the lost article--by restraining the breath and diving with all his weight, so too the seeker must be devoted to the finding of the real Self-- the source of the 'I am' in the ego--by the ingathering of all the vital and mental energies and directing them Heart-wards. The resolve to find the Self is the dynamic element in the Quest, without which there can be no diving into the Heart; the question 'Who am I?', or 'Whence am I?', implies this resolve. To him that so dives, says the Sage, success is assured; for then, says he, some mysterious force arises from within and takes possession of his mind and takes it straight to the Heart; if the seeker be pure of mind and free from love of individuality he would yield himself unreservedly to this force and get the highest of all rewards; for whatever a man is devoted to, that he gets, and there is nothing higher than the real Self. He that has not this perfect devotion will need to practise the Quest repeatedly till the mind becomes pure and strong, or to practise some kind of meditation or devotion to God.

Mahayoga
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:32:19 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: March 24, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana's First Upadesa  to Sri Annamalai Swami:

One day, Sri Annamalai Swami asked, "Bhagavan, give me some upadesa."

Sri Bhagavan answered, "Go, go inwards and always hold onto the Self. Identifying with the body and the mind causes misery. Dive deep into the Heart, the source of being and peace. Be established thus - always in your being."

Every time Sri Bhagavan came to Sri Swami, He exhorted him thus, "Annamalai Swami, you are not the body, you are not the mind, you are pure consciousness - the all pervasive Self. Be aware of this all the time, even while you are working."

Source: Sri Ramana Periya Puranam

Photograph: Sri Bhagwan with young Sri Annamalai Swami

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:56:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: March 25, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »
Mrs. Chenoy (from Bombay) asked Bhagavan this evening (after reading Who am I?) whether it was the proper thing to do if she asked herself 'Who am I?' and told herself she was not this body but a spirit, a spark from the divine flame.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana first said, "Yes, you might do that or whatever appeals to you. It will come right in the end."

But, after a little while, He told her: "There is a stage in the beginning, when you identify yourself with the body, when you are still having the body-consciousness. At that stage, you have the feeling you are different from the reality or God, and then it is, you think of yourself as a devotee of God or as a servant or lover of God. This is the first stage. The second stage is when you think of yourself as a spark of the divine fire or a ray from the divine Sun. Even then there is still that sense of difference and the body-consciousness. The third stage will come when all such difference ceases to exist, and you realise that the Self alone exists. There is an 'I' which comes and goes, and another 'I' which always exists and abides. So long as the first 'I' exists, the body-consciousness and the sense of diversity or bheda buddhi will persist. Only when that 'I' dies, the reality will reveal itself. For instance, in sleep, the first 'I' does not exist. You are not then conscious of a body or the world. Only when that 'I' again comes up, as soon as you get out of sleep, do you become conscious of the body and this world. But in sleep you alone existed. For, when you wake up, you are able to say 'I slept soundly.' You, that wake up and say so, are the same that existed during sleep. You don't say that the 'I' which persisted during sleep was a different 'I' from the 'I' present in the waking state. That 'I' which persists always and does not come and go is the reality. The other 'I' which disappears in sleep is not real. One should try and realise in the waking state that state which unconsciously everyone attains in sleep, the state where the small 'I' disappears and the real 'I' alone is."

At this stage, Mrs. C. Asked, "But how is it to be done?"

Sri Bhagavan replied, "By enquiring from whence and how does this small 'I' arise. The root of all bheda buddhi is this 'I'. It is at the root of all thoughts. If you enquire wherefrom it arises, it disappears."

Mrs. C. then asked, "Am I not then to say (in answer to my own question 'Who am I?') 'I am not this body but a spirit etc.'"

Sri Bhagavan then said, "No. The enquiry 'Who am I?' means really the enquiry within oneself as to wherefrom within the body the 'I'-thought arises. If you concentrate your attention on such an enquiry, the 'I'-thought being the root of all other thoughts, all thoughts will be destroyed and then the Self or the Big 'I' alone will remain as ever. You do not get anything new, or reach somewhere where you were not before. When all other thoughts which were hiding the Self are removed, the Self shines by itself."
Source: 24-11-46, Day By Day With Bhagavan

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:36:42 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: March 25, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »
"Oh Emperor Supreme, Ramana, who rules the world under the canopy of universal sovereignty, seated on the throne of the Heart! That day you graciously said: 'Oh child, you being our beloved son, we bestow kingship on you. Assuming this sovereignty, be you happy!'"
"I am seated in the audience hall. There have gathered the Prime Minister, mind, the assistant ministers, viz., the five sense organs, and the heads of executive authority, viz., five organs of action. Before me, they are making noise as they please. They daringly defy my authority. Often and suddenly, they darken the audience hall. If I say, 'Enough. Leave me alone, all of you, and get away', they are indulging in obstructive tactics and say that they will not go. I am having endless trouble. Enough for me, this kingship devoid of power. I have surrendered this kingship unto the Lotus Feet of Ramana who is my father and Master."

"Bhagavan should release me and give his gracious protection or else teach me the secret of sovereignty, granting the necessary power." "Oh King, Refuge, Refuge, Refuge I crave."

"You gave me refuge, saying, 'Child, when the bell of extroversion rings, the assembly will gather. In the audience hall, be ever raising the incense of vichara or enquiry. Mind, the minister, is a drunkard. Confusing himself with the intoxication of thought, he will keep confusing the assembly as well. This incense of vichara will clear the intoxication of thought. The assembly will function in order. As this incense of vichara increases more and more, those assembled will take leave. When the bell of 'abidance' rings, mind will finally disappear. All that incense of vichara transformed into light, you will abide as yourself, alone and blessed."

"Therefore, you should not give up even for a moment this 'Self-Enquiry' of 'Who am I?' With the progressive increase of vichara, jagrat and swapna will merge in sahaja nirvikalpa samadhi. All sleep will become kevala nirvikalpa samadhi. The vichara will merge in swarupa."

Prayer
"Ramana, my mother and father, you gave me the sword of jnana (Knowledge), termed vichara (Enquiry). Grant to this humble self, that has sought refuge at your feet, the necessary desirelessness to lay low and destroy the demon of 'thought' as and when it arises, with determination, and without any pity or compassion. Lord, I surrender myself."

Source: An English translation of a letter received by Sri Bhagwan, written by a devotee named Sri Krishnamurti alias Sri Kannan, Day By Day With Bhagavan
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:39:46 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: March 25, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »
Dear devotees, What follows is an excerpt from the famous book ?Ramana Maharshi and The Path of Self-Knowledge? written by Sri Arthur Osborne:

A Muslim came once to argue, but there must have been sincerity behind his challenge because Sri Bhagavan answered it patiently.

"Has God a form?" he asked.
"Who says God has a form?" Sri Bhagavan retorted.
The questioner persisted, "If God is formless is it not wrong to ascribe to Him the form of an idol and worship Him in it?"
He had understood the retort to mean, "Nobody says God has a form." But it meant exactly what it said and was now amplified, "Let God alone; tell me first whether you have a form."
"Of course I have a form, as you can see, but I am not God."

"Are you then the physical body made of flesh and bones and blood and nicely dressed?"

"Yes, that must be so; I am aware of my existence in this bodily form."

"You call yourself that body because now you are aware of your body, but are you that body? Can it be yourself in deep sleep when you are quite unaware of its existence?"

"Yes, I must have remained in the same bodily form even in deep sleep because I am aware of it until I fall asleep, and as soon as I wake I see that I am just as I was when I went to sleep."

"And when death occurs?"

The questioner stopped and thought a minute, "Well, then I am considered dead and the body is buried."

"But you said your body is yourself. When it is being taken away to be buried why doesn't it protest and say: 'No! no! don't take me away! This property I have acquired, these clothes I am wearing, these children I have begotten, they are all mine, I must remain with them'!"

The visitor then confessed that he had wrongly identified himself with the body and said, "I am the life in the body, not the body in itself."

Then Sri Bhagavan explained to him: "Till now you seriously considered yourself to be the body and to have a form. That is the primal ignorance which is the root cause of all trouble. Until that ignorance is got rid of, until you know your formless nature, it is mere pedantry to argue about God and whether He has a form or is formless or whether it is right to worship God in the form of an idol when He is really formless. Until one sees the formless Self one cannot truly worship the formless God."

Anil

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:14:31 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: March 26, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The mind is merely a reflection of the Self. It takes to its heel when searched for. It is non-existent in sleep. It is neither visible nor tangible. Why nurture it?

Devotee: We are unable to experience the bliss of Self.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Unless the ego is traced to its source one cannot be Self-aware. The idea that one is the body must be uprooted. A flower has to blossom before bees can enter it. If the petals are closed how can they enter? Once the flower blossoms the bees do not have to be invited. They will come automatically. Similarly if the ego veils the Self how can we have Self-knowledge? Earnest seekers practicing the way grasp the truth at once. For the rest the truth must be explained gradually, step by step, after checking if they have understood what had been told to them earlier.

Devotee: We do not recognise anything during sleep.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Can you say that you did not exist in sleep?

Source: More Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi

Photograph: Jalabhishek on Sri Ramana Maha Lingam, Sri Ramanasramam

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: March 26, 2019, 11:00:32 AM »
What follow are some of the wonderful SPIRITUAL SHARINGS FROM SRI V. GANESAN [ At the "Ashram Archives Auditorium" ]

Guru RAMANA was totally devoted to GURU ARUNACHALA! Brunton was totally devoted to Guru RAMANA! Brunton not only got the 'message' but lived the TRUTH, all his life ! What a wonderful relationship between the 'GURU' and the adhering 'disciple'!

What about us -- the common folks? SRI BHAGAVAN was soaked in ARUNACHALA from childhood. Hence,'Guru' ARUNACHALA took complete care of obedient 'disciple' RAMANA! Are we ready to completely surrender to 'Guru' RAMANA [ as He did to 'Guru' ARUNACHALA ]? Isn't it a pity that we are still stooped in the mundane World and its inescapable dealings, every day; and, yet cry out that we are suffering in ignorance?

Let us make the very bold move of totally obeying our Guru RAMANA. Soak ourselves in His 'Direct Teaching' of Self-Enquiry. And, live the 'Teaching' every moment of our life! Let us allow SRI BHAGAVAN to solve it for us. In 'Forty Verses on Reality', He clearly states : "Ever-present 'NOW' alone is the TRUTH". Let us also repeat His statement: "'I AM', 'SELF', 'AWARENESS', 'TRUTH', 'NOW' are all synonymous and the same, single TRUTH"! The 'NOW' is the "I AM AWARENESS" = the essence of "INNER SILENCE"! Simply, one is guided to turn one's attention from focusing it outwardly on the 'Mind Consciousness' to the 'INNER SILENCE' = to the "I AM AWARENESS"! That's all!

Photograph: Sri V. Ganesan
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:05:58 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: March 26, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
Devotee: For men like me, who have neither the direct experience of the heart nor the consequent recollection, the matter seems to be somewhat difficult to grasp. About the position of the heart itself, perhaps, we must depend on some sort of guesswork.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: If the determination of the position of the heart is to depend on guesswork even in the case of the layman, the question is surely not worth much consideration. No, it is not on guesswork that you have to depend, it is on an unerring intuition.

Devotee: For whom is the intuition?

Sri Bhagwan: For one and all.

Devotee: Does Sri Bhagavan credit me with an intuitive knowledge of the heart?

Sri Bhagwan: : No, not of the heart, but of the position of the heart in relation to your identity.

Devotee: Sri Bhagavan says that I intuitively know the position of the heart in the physical body?

Sri Bhagwan: Why not ?

Devotee: (Pointing to himself ) It is to me personally--that Sri Bhagavan is referring?

Sri Bhagwan: Yes. That is the intuition! How did you refer to yourself by gesture just now? Did you not put your finger on the right side of the chest? That is exactly the place of the heart-centre.

Devotee: So then, in the absence of direct knowledge of the heart-centre, I have to depend on this intuition?

Sri Bhagwan: What is wrong with it? When a schoolboy says "It is I that did the sum correctly", or when he asks you, "Shall I run and get the book for you", would he point out to the head that did the sum correctly, or to the legs that will carry him swiftly to get you the book? No, in both cases, his finger is pointed quite naturally towards the right side of the chest, thus giving innocent expression to the profound truth that the source of 'I'-ness in him is there. It is an unerring intuition that makes him refer to himself, to the heart which is the Self, in that way. The act is quite involuntary and universal, that is to say, it is the same in the case of every individual.
What stronger proof than this do you require about the position of the heart-centre in the physical body?
Maharshi's Gospel
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:22:04 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: March 27, 2019, 08:32:31 AM »
Devotee: Sri Bhagavan speaks of the Heart as the seat of Consciousness and as identical with the Self. What does the Heart exactly signify?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The question about the Heart arises because you are interested in seeking the source of consciousness. To all deep thinking minds, the enquiry about the 'I' and its nature has an irresistible fascination.

Call it by any name, God, Self, the Heart or the seat of Consciousness, it is all the same. The point to be grasped is this, that Heart means the very core of one's being, the Centre, without which there is nothing whatever.
Source: Maharshi's Gospel

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: I used to feel the vibrations of the Heart, which resemble those of a dynamo, even in school. When I developed rigor mortis (reference to Sri Bhagwan's famous Death Experience) many years ago in Tiruvannamalai, every object and sensation disappeared, except these vibrations. It was as if a dark screen was drawn before my eyes and shut the world completely from me, but of course I was all along conscious of the Self, with a vague feeling that someone was crying near me. This state continued till just before I regained physical consciousness, when I felt something rush from the Heart to the left chest and re-established life in the body.
A sudden fear, sudden joy, or a shock makes the Heart vibrate very forcefully, so that it can be felt by anyone who pays attention to it. Otherwise it is felt only in Samadhi.
Source: Guru Ramana

Note: Samadhi-->the state of Self-absorption, in which "there is only the feeling 'I am' and no thoughts". anil
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:34:56 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: March 27, 2019, 11:11:29 AM »
REJECTION OF THOUGHTS

Devotee:  But you have often said that one must reject other thoughts when he begins the quest, but the thoughts  are endless ; if one thought is rejected, another comes and there seems to be no end at all.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: . I do not say that you must go on rejecting  thoughts. If you cling to yourself, say the I-thought, and when your interest keeps you to that single idea, other thoughts get rejected, and automatically they vanish.

Devotee: And so rejection of thoughts is not necessary ?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  No. It may be necessary for a time or for some.  You fancy that there is no end if one goes on rejecting  every thought when it rises. No, There is an end. If  you are vigilant, and make a stern effort to reject every  thought when it rises, you will soon find that you are going deeper and deeper into your own inner self, where  there is no need for your effort to reject the thoughts.

Devotee:  Then it is possible to be without effort, without strain !

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  Not only that, it is impossible for you to make an effort beyond a certain extent.

Devotee. I want to be further enlightened. Should I try to make no effort at all ?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  Here it is impossible for you to be without effort. When you go deeper, it is impossible for you to make any effort.
Sat Darshanam Bhashya and Talks with Maharshi

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: March 27, 2019, 11:20:44 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Self-enquiry by following the clue of Aham-vritti is just like the dog tracing its master by his scent. The master may be at some distant, unknown place, but that does not at all stand in the way of the dog tracing him. The master's scent is an infallible clue for the animal, and nothing else, such as the dress he wears, or his build and stature etc., counts. To that scent the dog holds on undistractedly while searching for him, and finally it succeeds in tracing him. Likewise in your quest for the Self, the one infallible clue is the Aham-vritti, the ?I-am?-ness which is the primary datum of your experience. No other clue can lead you direct to Self-realization.
The Maharishi's Gospel