Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1048272 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5835 on: March 12, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana explained thus: Meditating on Him or on the seer, the Self, there is a mental vibration 'I' to which all are reduced. Tracing the source of 'I', the primal 'I-I' alone remains over, and it is inexpressible. The seat of Realisation is within and the seeker cannot find it as an object outside him. That seat is bliss and is the core of all beings. Hence it is called the Heart. The only useful purpose of the present birth is to turn within and realise it. There is nothing else to do.

Devotee: How is annihilation of predispositions to be accomplished?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You are in that condition in realisation.

Devotee: Does it mean that, holding on to the Self, the tendencies should be scorched as they begin to emerge?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: They will themselves be scorched if only you remain as you truly are.
T--219

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: March 13, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: How was he in deep sleep? How is he when awake? What is the difference? Ego rises up and that is waking. Simultaneously thoughts arise. Let him find out to whom are the thoughts. Wherefrom do they arise? They must spring up from the conscious Self. Apprehending it even vaguely helps the extinction of the ego. Thereafter the realisation of the one Infinite Existence becomes possible. In that state there are no individuals other than the Eternal Existence. Hence there is no thought of death or wailing.

If a man considers he is born he cannot avoid the fear of death. Let him find out if he has been born or if the Self has any birth. He will discover that the Self always exists, that the body which is born resolves itself into thought and that the emergence of thought is the
root of all mischief. Find wherefrom thoughts emerge. Then you will abide in the ever-present inmost Self and be free from the idea of birth or the fear of death.
T--80

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: March 13, 2019, 11:21:00 AM »
Sri Eleanor Pauline Noye of California visited the Ashram twice in 1940 and stayed for about ten months.

Sri Eleanor Pauline Noye:

My heart throbbed with expectation as I was taken to the hall. As I entered, I felt the atmosphere filled with Sri Bhagavan's Purity and Blessedness. One feels a breath of the Divine in the Sage's presence. When He smiled it was as though the gates of Heaven were thrown open. I have never seen eyes more alight with Divine Illumination--they shine like stars. His look of Love and Compassion was a benediction that went straight to my heart. I was immediately drawn to Him. One feels such an uplifting influence in His saintly presence and cannot help but sense His extraordinary spirituality.

It is not necessary for Him to talk, His silent influence of love and light is more potent than words could ever be. I do not think there is another like Him on earth today. To see Him is to love Him. As I looked upon Sri Bhagavan?s serene face and into His eyes which beamed with mercy, my soul was stirred. He knew how much I needed Him, while He looked straight into my heart. Everyone who comes to Him is blessed; the inner peace which is His is radiated to all.

I had not slept well for years, although I had been taking medicine. I said nothing to Sri Bhagavan about this. The amazing thing was that I slept soundly the first night and thereafter without taking any medicine. I received 'the Medicine of all medicines', the unfailing grace of the Lord. I arose next morning, feeling refreshed, as though I were born anew. Soon after, as I was standing by the gate one afternoon, Sri Bhagavan stopped while on His way to the hill and asked me, 'If I had more peace.' His loving solicitude made me feel quite at home; and when He smiled my joy knew no bounds.

Source: Face to Face With Sri Ramana Maharshi

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:23:01 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: March 13, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
Devotee: If I dive in, I shall find........

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: But even without diving in, you are That. The ideas of exterior and interior exist only so long as you do not accept your real identity.

Devotee: But I took the idea from you that you want me to dive in.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes, quite right. It was said because you are identifying yourself with the froth and not the water. Because of this confusion the answer was meant to draw your attention to this confusion and bring it home to you. All that is meant is that the Self is infinite inclusive of all that you see. There is nothing beyond It nor apart from It. Knowing this, you will not desire anything; not desiring, you will be content. The Self is always realised. There is no seeking to realise what is already - always - realised. For you cannot deny your own existence. That existence is consciousness - the Self. Unless you exist you cannot ask questions. So you must admit your own existence. That existence is the Self. It is already realised. Therefore the effort to realise results only in your realising your present mistake - that you have not realised your Self. There is no fresh realisation. The Self becomes revealed.

Devotee: That will take some years.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Why years? The idea of time is only in your mind. It is not in the Self. There is no time for the Self. Time arises as an idea after the ego arises. But you are the Self beyond time and space; you exist even in the absence of time and space.
T?625

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: March 14, 2019, 09:00:32 AM »
Question: What is the state of attainment of knowledge?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: It is firm and effortless abidance in the Self in which the mind which has become one with the Self does not subsequently emerge again at any time. That is, just as everyone usually and naturally has the idea, 'I am not a goat nor a cow nor any other animal but a human', when he thinks of his body, so also when he has the idea 'I am not the principles (tattwas) beginning with the body and ending with sound (nada), but the Self which is existence, consciousness and bliss, the innate self-consciousness (atma prajna)', he is said to have attained firm knowledge.
Spiritual Instruction

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: March 14, 2019, 12:00:04 PM »
Sri Viswanathan Swami  was not sure how far he had progressed and so he asked Bhagavan, "Bhagavan, how can I rise above my present animal instincts? My own efforts have proven futile. I am convinced that only a superior power can transform me."

Bhagavan replied with great compassion, "Yes, you are right. It is by awakening a power higher and mightier than the senses and the mind that these can be subdued. If you awaken and nurture the growth of that higher power within you, everything else will unfold mystically. One should sustain the current of meditation uninterruptedly. Moderation in food, and similar restraints taken up studiously and judiciously, will be helpful in maintaining inner poise."

Bhagavan added, "Viswanatha, do not mingle with people who come here. Do not waste time socializing, talking with people and also getting attached. Keep your talking to the minimum."

Viswanatha Swami devoutly adhered to Bhagavan's words, so much so that whenever he spoke, his voice was almost inaudible. He restricted his movements to going to the town to beg for food. Some old devotees told me that Viswanatha Swami was known for his soft spoken demeanour and restrained movement.

Source: Sri Ramana Periya Puranam

Photograph: Sri Bhagwan with Sri Vishwanatha Swami

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: March 14, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Ignorance gives rise to error, error to conceit, etc. What is ignorance? Can it be of Pure Brahman which is only the Self or Pure Knowledge? Only let the questioner know his own Self, i.e., be the Knowledge; this question will not arise. Because of ignorance he raises the question. Such ignorance is of the questioner and not of the Self. The sun seen, no darkness persists. There is hoarded wealth in an iron safe. The man says it is his own; the safe does not say so. It is the ownership-conceit that is responsible for the claim.

Nothing is independent of the Self, not even ignorance; for ignorance is only the power of the Self, remaining there without affecting It. However it affects the 'I'-conceit, i.e., the jiva.

Therefore ignorance is of the jiva. How? The man says, 'I do not know myself'. Are there then two selves - one the subject and the other the object? He cannot admit it. Is then ignorance at an end for him? No. The rise of the ego is itself the ignorance and nothing more.
T--575

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:15:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
Visitor: When one attains Self-realisation, what is the guarantee that one has really attained it and is not under an illusion like the lunatic who thinks he is Napoleon or some such thing?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi : In a sense, speaking of Self-realisation is a delusion. It is only because people have been under the delusion that the non-Self is the Self and the unreal the Real that they have to be weaned out of it by the other delusion called Self-realisation; because actually the Self always is the Self and there is no such thing as realising it. Who is to realise what, and how, when all that exists is the Self and nothing but the Self?
3-7-46, Day By Day With Bhagavan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: March 15, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »
Sri V. Ganesan:
The ananda aspect of existence is always there in every being, although it is apparently hidden. The sat and chit aspects need the clarity of the waking state. The ananda aspect though, is instantly experienced in deep sleep as it surges from within like water gushing forth from a spring. Bhagavan gave great importance to focusing attention on experiencing the Ananda aspect of deep sleep.

Bhagavan has stated, "One is ever in deep sleep only". Experiencing this state, where the world is not seen, prepares us for plunging into a deeper state and realize the Truth. In more than ninety places in Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, Bhagavan cites the example of deep sleep. He thus drives home the importance of experiencing our own true state of silence, ananda, stillness, peace, fullness and non--duality. These are available to everyone in deep sleep, daily. The moment our attention is fully directed to the ananda aspect of deep sleep, we have won half the battle. And this happens purely due to the guru's Grace.
Drops From The Ocean

sat-chit-ananda-->existence (being)-consciousness-bliss
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:52:54 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: March 15, 2019, 12:05:58 PM »
Question: Why is the Self described both as the fourth state (turiya) and beyond the fourth state (turiyatita)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Turiya means that which is the fourth. The experiencers (jivas) of the three states of waking, dreaming and deep sleep, known as visva, taijasa and prajna, who wander successively in these three states, are not the Self. It is with the object of making this clear, namely that the Self is that which is different from them and which is the witness of these states, that it is called the fourth (turiya). When this is known, the three experiencers disappear and the idea that the Self is a witness, that it is the fourth, also disappears. That is why the Self is described as beyond the fourth (turiyatita).
Spiritual Instruction

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: March 16, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »
Mr. Evans-Wentz continued another day: "May one have more than one spiritual master?"

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Who is a Master? He is the Self after all. According to the stages of the development of the mind the Self manifests as the Master externally. The famous ancient saint Avadhuta said that he had more than 24 Masters. The Master is one from whom one learns anything. The Guru may be sometimes inanimate also, as in the case of Avadhuta. God, Guru and the Self are identical.

A spiritual-minded man thinks that God is all-pervading and takes God for his Guru. Later, God brings him in contact with a personal Guru and the man recognises him as all in all. Lastly the same man is made by the grace of the Master to feel that his Self is the Reality
and nothing else. Thus he finds that the Self is the Master.
T--23

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: March 16, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »
Sri S.P. Tayal: From about 5 o'clock every morning I concentrate on the thought that the Self alone is real and all else unreal. Although I have been doing this for about 20 years I cannot concentrate for more than two or three minutes without my thoughts wandering.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: There is no other way to succeed than to draw the mind back every time it turns outwards and fix it in the Self. There is no need for meditation or mantra or japa or dhyana anything of the sort, because these are our real nature. All that is needed is to give up thinking of objects other than the Self. Meditation is not so much thinking of the Self as giving up thinking of the not-Self. When you give up thinking of outward objects and prevent your mind from going outwards and turn it inward and fix it in the Self, the Self alone will remain.

Sri S.P. Tayal: What should I do to overcome the pull of these thoughts and desires? How should I regulate my life so as to attain control over my thoughts?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: The more you get fixed in the Self, the more other thoughts will drop off by themselves. The mind is nothing but a bundle of thoughts, and the I-thought is the root of all of them. When you see who this 'I' is and whence it proceeds all thoughts get merged in the Self.
Regulation of life, such as getting up at a fixed hour, bathing, doing mantra, japa, etc., observing ritual, all this is for people who do not feel drawn to Self-enquiry or are not capable of it. But for those who can practise this method all rules and discipline are unnecessary.

18-7-46, Day By Day With Bhagavan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: March 16, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Reality is simply the loss of the ego. Destroy the ego by seeking its identity. Because the ego is no entity it will automatically vanish and Reality will shine forth by itself. This is the direct method. Whereas all other methods are done, only retaining the ego. In those paths there arise so many doubts and the eternal question remains to be tackled finally. But in this method the final question is the only one and it is raised from the very beginning. No sadhanas (spiritual practices) are necessary for engaging in this quest.

There is no greater mystery than this - viz., ourselves being the Reality we seek to gain Reality. We think that there is something hiding our Reality and that it must be destroyed before the Reality is gained. It is ridiculous. A day will dawn when you will yourself
laugh at your past efforts. That which will be on the day you laugh is also here and now.

Devotee: So it is a great game of pretending?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes.
In Yoga Vasishtha it is said, "What is Real is hidden from us, but what is false, is revealed as true." We are actually experiencing the Reality only; still, we do not know it. Is it not a wonder of wonders?
The quest "Who am I?" is the axe with which to cut off the ego.
T--146

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:33 AM »
Devotee: Show me that Grace which puts an end to all this trouble. I have not come here to argue. I want only to learn.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Learn first what you are. This requires no sastras, no scholarship. This is simple experience. The state of being is now and here all along. You have lost hold of yourself and are asking others for guidance. The purpose of philosophy is to turn you inward. "If you know your Self, no evil can come to you. Since you asked me I have taught you."
The ego comes up only holding you (the Self). Hold yourself and the ego will vanish. Until then the sage will be saying, "There is." - The ignorant will be asking "Where?"

Devotee: The crux of the problem lies in ?Know Thyself.?

BHagwan Sri Ramana: Yes. Quite so.
T--132

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:32:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: March 17, 2019, 08:39:40 AM »
Devotee: What is moksha (liberation)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana? Moksha is to know that you were not born. "Be still and know that I am God."
To be still is not to think. Know, and not think, is the word.

Devotee: There are said to be six organs of different colours in the chest, of which the heart is said to be two finger-breadths to the right of the middle line. But the Heart is also formless. Should we then imagine it to have a shape and meditate on it?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: No. Only the quest 'Who am I?' is necessary. What remains all through deep sleep and waking is the same. But in waking there is unhappiness and the effort to remove it. Asked who wakes up from sleep you say 'I'. Now you are told to hold fast to this ?I?. If it is done the eternal Being will reveal Itself. Investigation of 'I' is the point and not meditation on the heart-centre. There is nothing like within or without. Both mean either the same thing or nothing.
T--131