Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1113141 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5820 on: March 07, 2019, 11:37:23 AM »
A visitor put questions: I do not understand how to make the enquiry 'Who am I?'

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Find out whence the 'I' arises. Self-enquiry does not mean argument or reasoning such as goes on when you say, 'I am not this body, I am not the senses,' etc.: all that may also help but it is not the enquiry. Watch and find out where in the body the 'I' arises and fix your mind on that.
Day By Day With Bhagavan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: March 08, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
A certain man from Madurai asked: How to know the Power of God?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: You say 'I AM'. That is it. What else can say I AM?
One's own being is His Power. The trouble arises only when one says, "I am this or that, such and such". Do not do it - Be yourself. That is all.

Devotee: How to experience Bliss?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: To be free from thinking 'I am now out of Bliss'.

Devotee: That is to say free from modes of mind.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: To be with only one mode of mind to the exclusion of others.

Devotee: But Bliss must be experienced.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Bliss consists in not forgetting your being. How can you be otherwise than what you really are? It is also to be the Seat of Love. Love is Bliss. Here the Seat is not different from Love.

Devotee: How shall I be all-pervading?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Give up the thought, "I am not all-pervading now."

Devotee: How to permeate the separate objects?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Do they exist independently of 'I'? Do they say to you 'We are'? You see them. You are, and then the objects are also seen. ?Without me, these do not exist? - this knowledge is permeation. Owing to the idea "I am the body; there is something in me" the separate objects are seen as if lying outside. Know that they are all within yourself. Is a piece of cloth independent of yarn? Can the objects remain without  Me?
T--478

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:45:58 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: March 08, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: 'There is no happiness' is only a thought. The Self is bliss, pure and simple. You are the Self. So you cannot but be bliss; being so, you cannot say here is no happiness. That which says so cannot be the Self; it is the non-Self and must be got rid of in order to realise the bliss of the Self.

Devotee: How is that to be done?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: See wherefrom the thought arises. It is the mind. See for whom the mind or intellect functions. For the ego. Merge the intellect in the ego and seek the source of the ego. The ego disappears. 'I know' and 'I do not know' imply a subject and an object. They are due to duality. The Self is pure and absolute, One and alone. There are no two selves so that one may know the other. What is duality then? It cannot be the Self which is One and alone. It must be non-Self. Duality is the characteristic of the ego. When thoughts arise duality is present; know it to be the ego, and seek its source.

The degree of the absence of thoughts is the measure of your progress towards Self-Realisation. But Self-Realisation itself does not admit of progress; it is ever the same. The Self remains always in realisation. The obstacles are thoughts. Progress is measured by the degree of removal of the obstacles to understanding that the Self is always realised. So thoughts must be checked by seeking to whom they arise. So you go to their Source, where they do not arise.
T--618
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:24:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: March 08, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Question: But why should these three states (Sleep, dream and waking) come and go on the real state or the screen of the Self?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Who puts this question? Does the Self say these states come and go? It is the seer who says these come and go. The seer and the seen together constitute the mind. See if there is such a thing as the mind. Then, the mind merges in the Self, and there is neither the seer nor the seen. So the real answer to your question is, `They neither come nor go.' The Self alone remains as it ever is. The three states owe their existence to non-enquiry and enquiry puts an end to them. However much one may explain, the fact will not become clear till one attains Self-realization and wonders how one was blind to the self-evident and only existence so long.
Be AS You Are

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: March 09, 2019, 08:29:07 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: It is only that which is eternal but not now known due to obstructions; it is that we seek. All that we need do is to remove the obstruction. That which is eternal is not known to be so because of ignorance. Ignorance is the obstruction. Get over this ignorance and all will be well.

The ignorance is identical with the 'I-thought'. Find its source and it will vanish. The 'I-thought' is like a spirit which, although not palpable, rises up simultaneously with the body, flourishes and disappears with it. The body-consciousness is the wrong 'I'. Give up this body-consciousness. It is done by seeking the source 'I'. The body does not say 'I am'. It is you who say, 'I am the body!' Find out who this 'I' is. Seeking its source it will vanish.

Devotee: Then, will there be bliss?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Bliss is coeval with Being-Consciousness. All the arguments relating to the eternal Being of that Bliss apply to Bliss also. Your nature is Bliss. Ignorance is now hiding that Bliss. Remove the ignorance for Bliss to be freed.
T--197

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:32:17 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: March 09, 2019, 11:08:08 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:

Five verses on the Self: Ekatma Panchakam.

1. When, forgetting the Self, one thinks
That the body is oneself and goes
Through innumerable births
And in the end remembers and becomes
The Self, know this is only like
Awaking from a dream wherein
One has wandered over all the world.

2. One ever is the Self. To ask oneself
'Who and whereabouts am I?'
Is like the drunken man's enquiring
'Who am I?' and 'Where am I?'

3. The body is within the Self. And yet
One thinks one is inside the inert body,
Like some spectator who supposes
That the screen on which the picture is thrown
Is within the picture.

4. Does an ornament of gold exist
Apart from the gold? Can the body exist
Apart from the Self?
The ignorant one thinks 'I am the body';
The enlightened knows 'I am the Self'.

5. The Self alone, the Sole Reality,
Exists for ever.
If of yore the First of Teachers
Revealed it through unbroken silence
Say who can reveal it in spoken words?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:09:57 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: March 09, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »
Dr. Syed asked Bhagavan, "Does not total or complete surrender require that one should not have left in him the desire even for liberation or God?"

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Complete surrender does require that you have no desire of your own, that God's desire alone is your desire and that you have no desire of your own.

Dr. Syed: Now that I am satisfied on that point, I want to know what are the steps by which I could achieve surrender.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There are two ways; one is looking into the source of 'I' and merging into that source. The other is feeling "I am helpless by myself, God alone is all-powerful and except throwing myself completely on him, there is no other means of safety for me," and thus gradually developing the conviction that God alone exists and the ego does not count. Both methods lead to the same goal. Complete surrender is another name for Jnana or liberation.
1-3-46 Morning, Day By Day With Bhagavan
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:51:50 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: March 10, 2019, 08:29:45 AM »
Visitor:  "What is meant by Self-realisation? Materialists say there is no such thing as God or Self."

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi said, "Never mind what the materialists or others say; and don't bother about Self or God. Do you exist or not? What is your idea of yourself? What do you mean by 'I'?"

The visitor said he did not understand by 'I' his body, but something within his body. Thereupon, Bhagavan continued,

"You concede 'I' is not the body but something within it. See then from whence the 'I' arises within the body. See whether it arises and disappears, or is always present. You will admit there is an 'I' which emerges as soon as you wake up, sees the body, the world and all else, and ceases to exist when you sleep; and that there is another 'I' which exists apart from the body, independently of it, and which alone is with you when the body and the world do not exist for you, as for instance in sleep. Then ask yourself if you are not the same 'I' during sleep and during the other states. Are there two 'I's? You are the same one person always. Now, which can be real, the 'I' which comes and goes, or the 'I' which always abides? Then you will know that you are the Self. This is called Self-realisation. Self-realisation is not however a state which is foreign to you, which is far from you, and which has to be reached by you. You are always in that state. You forget it, and identify yourself with the mind and its creation. To cease to identify yourself with the mind is all that is required. We have so long identified ourselves with the not-Self that we find it difficult to regard ourselves as the Self. Giving up this identification with the not-Self is all that is meant by Self-realisation. How to realise, i.e., make real, the Self? We have realised, i.e., regarded as real, what is unreal, the not-Self. To give up such false realisation is Self-realisation."
17-8-46, Day By Day With Bhagavan
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:32:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: March 10, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana explained in the course of conversation:

Whoever desires liberation? Everyone wants only happiness -happiness too as found in the enjoyment of the senses. This question was asked of a Guru, and the latter answered: "Quite so. That happiness which is the result of enjoyment by the senses is the same
as that of liberation. That desire of such liberation is one of the four qualifications for attainment. This is common to all. So all are eligible for this knowledge - Self-knowledge."

In fact there may not be found any individual in the world who possesses all the qualities in perfection necessary for an aspirant as mentioned in Yoga Sutras, etc. Still pursuit of Self-knowledge should not be abandoned.

Everyone is the Self by his own experience. Still he is not aware, he identifies the Self with the body and feels miserable. This is the greatest of all mysteries. One is the Self. Why not abide as the Self and be done with miseries?

In the beginning one has to be told that he is not the body, because he thinks that he is the body only. Whereas he is the body and all else. The body is only a part. Let him know it finally. He must first discern consciousness from insentience and be the consciousness only. Later let him realise that insentience is not apart from consciousness.

This is discrimination (viveka). The initial discrimination must persist to the end. Its fruit is liberation.
T--192

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:22:39 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: March 10, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: A dreamer dreams a dream. He sees the dream world with pleasures, pains. etc. But he wakes up and then loses all interest in the dream world. So it is with the waking world also. Just as the dream-world, being only a part of yourself and not different from you, ceases to interest you, so also the present world would cease to interest you if you awake from this waking dream (samsara) and realise that it is a part of your Self, and not an objective reality. Because you think that you are apart from the objects around you, you desire a thing. But if you understand that the thing was only a thought-form you would no longer desire it. All things are like bubbles on water. You are the water and the objects are the bubbles. They cannot exist apart from the water, but they are not quite the same as the water.

Devotee: I feel I am like froth.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Cease that identification with the unreal and know your real identity. Then you will be firm and no doubts can arise.

Devotee: But I am the froth.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Because you think that way there is worry. It is a wrong imagination. Accept your true identity with the Real. Be the water and not the froth. That is done by diving in.
T--625

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:53 AM »
Question: Yes, I still understand only theoretically. Yet the answers are simple, beautiful and convincing.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Even the thought `I do not realize' is a hindrance. In fact, the Self alone is.

Our real nature is mukti. But we are imagining we are bound and are making various, strenuous attempts to become free, while we are all the while free. This will be understood only when we reach that stage. We will be surprised that we were frantically trying to
attain something which we have always been and are. An illustration will make this clear. A man goes to sleep in this hall. He dreams he has gone on a world tour, is roaming over hill and dale, forest and country, desert and sea, across various continents and after many years of weary and strenuous travel, returns to this country, reaches Tiruvannamalai, enters the ashram and walks into the hall. Just at that moment he wakes up and finds he has not moved an inch but was sleeping where he lay down. He has not returned after great effort to this hall, but is and always has been in the hall. It is exactly like that; If it is asked, `Why being free do we imagine that we are bound?' I answer, `Why being in the hall did you imagine you were on a world adventure, crossing hill and dale, desert and sea? It is all mind or maya [illusion].
Be As You Are

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:22 AM »
Disciple: When one enquires into the root of 'self conceit' which is of the form 'I', all sorts of different thoughts without number seem to rise; and not any separate 'I' thought.

BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA: Whether the nominative case, which is the first case, appears or not, the sentences in which the other cases appear have as their basis the first case; similarly, all the thoughts that appear in the heart have as their basis the egoity which is the first mental mode 'I', the cognition of the form 'I am the body'; thus, it is the rise of egoity that is the cause and source of the rise of all other thoughts; therefore, if the self-conceit of the form of egoity which is the root of the illusory tree of samsara (bondage consisting of transmigration) is destroyed, all other thoughts will perish completely like an uprooted tree. Whatever thoughts arise as obstacles to one's sadhana (spiritual discipline) - the mind should not be allowed to go in their direction, but should be made to rest in one's self which is the Atman; one should remain as witness to whatever happens, adopting the attitude 'Let whatever strange things happen, happen; let us see!' This should be one's practice. In other words, one should not identify oneself with appearances; one should never relinquish one's self.

This is the proper means for destruction of the mind (manonasa) which is of the nature of seeing the body as self, and which is the cause of all the aforesaid obstacles. This method which easily destroys egoity deserves to be called devotion (bhakti), meditation (dhyana), concentration (yoga), and knowledge (jnana). Because God remains of the nature of the Self, shining as 'I' in the heart, because the scriptures declare that thought itself is bondage, the best discipline is to stay quiescent without ever forgetting Him (God, the Self), after resolving in Him the mind which is of the form of the 'I'-thought, no matter by what means. This is the conclusive teaching of the Scriptures.
SOURCE: SELF-ENQUIRY

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: March 11, 2019, 11:14:50 AM »
Disciple: Master! What is the means to gain the state of eternal bliss, ever devoid of misery?

BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA: Apart from the statement in the Veda that wherever there is body there is misery, this is also the direct experience of all people; therefore, one should enquire into one's true nature which is ever bodiless, and one should remain as such. This is the means to gaining that state.

Disciple: What is meant by saying that one should enquire into one's true nature and understand it?

BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA: Experiences such as "I went; I came; I was; I did" come naturally to everyone. From these experiences, does it not appear that the consciousness "I" is the subject of those various acts? Enquiry into the true nature of that consciousness, and remaining as oneself is the way to understand, through enquiry, one's true nature.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: March 12, 2019, 08:37:01 AM »
Sri L. Kamesvara Sarma's query to Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: "You endorse the maya teaching (illusion or appearance of the phenomenal world). But I can't reconcile my feeling of this chair's reality with your assertion of its unreality."

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: "The root of your difficulty lies in the confused comingling of two separate ideas into one: the 'I' and the 'body'. When you are aware of the chair, it is the thought subsequent to the primal one, 'I am the body'. The latter is the substratum of all your thoughts of the world experience. It arises first; then only can they come. Hence when it fails to arise--as in deep sleep--the world experience also fails to enter your consciousness. Now of these two ideas, the I-thought is the enduring one whereas the body-thought is a transient one. This is shown by dreams, where you still have the sense of 'I' but not awareness of physical body. Thus all your bodily experiences, and the world experiences which are linked up with them, are nothing else than what enters your mind. This is what I mean when I say that the mind is nothing but thoughts. The 'I' is the only real being because it is the only durable one. Fund it after stopping the thoughts."   
Source: Conscious Immortality     

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:40:43 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: March 12, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »
A high officer asked: If juniors are promoted over oneself the mind is perturbed. Will the enquiry, 'Who am I?' help the man to soothe the mind under such circumstances?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes. Quite so. The enquiry 'Who am I?' turns the mind inward and makes it calm.

Devotee: I have faith in murti dhyana (worship of form). Will it not help me to gain jnana?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Surely it will. Upasana helps concentration of mind. Then the mind is free from other thoughts and is full of the meditated form. The mind becomes it - and thus quite pure. Then think who is the worshipper. The answer is 'I', i.e., the Self. So the Self is gained ultimately.
The present difficulty is that the man thinks that he is the doer. But it is a mistake. It is the Higher Power which does everything and the man is only a tool. If he accepts that position he is free from troubles; otherwise he courts them. Take for instance, the figure in a gopuram (temple tower), where it is made to appear to bear the burden of the tower on its shoulders. Its posture and look are a picture of great strain while bearing the very heavy burden of the tower. But think. The tower is built on the earth and it rests on its foundations. The figure (like Atlas bearing the earth) is a part of the tower, but is made to look as if it bore the tower. Is it not funny? So is the man who takes on himself the sense of doing.
T--63