Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1110127 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5760 on: February 14, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

A Siva shrine is located at each of the eight cardinal directions on the circumambulation route around Arunachala. Determined to perform his penance to the best of his capacity, he (Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni) went southwest to the Nirudhilingam shrine. It was surrounded by forests at that time. He took shelter in the hollow of a large, dead tree and resumed his severe penance of being silent and going without food. After the fifth or sixth day, the divine Mother spoke to him: "Until you have a guru, you cannot achieve your goal. Your guru is up there on the hill. Surrender at his holy feet and you will get his grace. Go now!"

Kavyakantha leapt out of the hollow. It was one o'clock in the afternoon, and the sun was beating down hard. The Karthikai festival was on and hundreds of people thronged around the hill. Undeterred, he ran up the hill to Virupaksha cave and found Bhagavan sitting alone outside. Bhagavan directed his glance of grace at Kavyakantha. Like many devotees before him, he was transfixed and could not take his eyes off Bhagavan. Kavyakantha, an erudite scholar and an inspired poet, had never prostrated himself before any human being. Suddenly, he found himself flat on the ground in front of the young ascetic. He held Bhagavan's feet tightly and cried, "I have read all that has to be read. I have fully read Vedanta, I have performed japa to my heart's content, yet I have not understood what tapas is! Therefore, I have sought refuge at your feet. Pray, enlighten me as to the nature of tapas." The word 'tapas' in Sanskrit literally means 'striving for the realization of truth through flaming penance and austerity'. However, Bhagavan imparted its deeper meaning to Kavyakantha. Helping him rise to his feet, Bhagavan looked into his eyes and after some time slowly replied, "If one watches from where the notion 'I' arises, the mind is absorbed into That. That is tapas." And since Kavyakantha had himself revealed that he practiced mantra japa - repeating mantras thousands of times every day, the master added, "When repeating a mantra, if one watches the source from which the sound is produced, the mind is absorbed in that. That is tapas."
These revelations thrilled Kavyakantha. He finally understood how to be in touch with the truth through a practical method. Wave after wave of ecstasy flooded through him for hours in the presence of the ascetic.

"If one watches from where the notion 'I' arises, the mind is absorbed into That. That is tapas."

Indeed! This alone is the direct and most practical way to practice the Presence of God and to be in touch with the Truth! This is what is known to His devotees as the 'Ramana Way'.

Anil

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:19:54 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: February 14, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »
Question: How does a person of steady Knowledge [jnani] know that he is one such? Is it because of the awareness of fullness of his Knowledge? Or is it because of cessation of objective awareness?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  In the firm natural state, through the silence of the mind free of all tendencies, the Knower knows himself as such, without any doubt.

Question: For seekers of Truth is the critical study of the scriptures alone enough for Knowledge?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There is no doubt that mere critical study of scriptures cannot liberate the one seeking Truth. Without upasana, spiritual practice, there cannot be attainment. This is certain. Experience of the natural state during spiritual practice is called upasana. When that itself is unwaveringly attained it is called true Knowledge.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: February 15, 2019, 09:10:10 AM »
Question: What is Reality?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Reality must be always real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the Reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc.

The reality which is the mere consciousness that remains when ignorance is destroyed along with knowledge of objects, alone is the Self (Atma). In that Brahma-swarupa (real form of Brahman), which is abundant Self-awareness, there is not the least ignorance.

The reality which shines fully, without misery and without a body, not only when the world is known but also when the world is not known, is your real form (nija-swarupa).

The radiance of Consciousness-Bliss, in the form of one Awareness shining equally within and without, is the supreme and blissful primal Reality. Its form is Silence and it is declared by Jnanis (Self-realised) to be the final and unobstructable State of true Knowledge (Jnana).
Know that Jnana (Knowledge of the real Self) alone is non-attachment; Jnana alone is Purity; Jnana is the attainment of God; Jnana which is devoid of forgetfulness of Self alone is immortality; Jnana alone is everything.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: February 15, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »
The Booklet 'Nan Yar?' (Who am I?) elaborates on the Self-enquiry thus:

1. "Of all the thoughts that rise in the mind, the thought 'I' is the first thought."

2. "What is called mind is a wondrous power existing in Self. It projects all thoughts. If we set aside all thoughts and see, there will be no such thing as mind remaining separate; therefore, thought itself is the form of the mind. Other than thoughts, there is no such thing as the mind."

3. "That which rises in this body as 'I' is the mind. If one enquires 'In which place in the body does the thought 'I' rise first?', it will be known to be in the Heart [spiritual Heart is 'two digits to the right from the centre of the chest']. Even if one incessantly thinks 'I', 'I', it will lead to that place (Self)'."

4. "The mind will subside only by means of the enquiry 'Who am I?'. The thought 'Who am I?', destroying all other thoughts, will itself finally be destroyed like the stick used for stirring the funeral pyre."

5. "If other thoughts rise, one should, without attempting to complete them, enquire, 'To whom did they arise?', it will be known 'To me'. If one then enquires 'Who am I?', the mind (power of attention) will turn back to its source. By repeatedly practising thus, the power of the mind to abide in its source increases."

6. "Knowledge itself is 'I'. The nature of (this) knowledge is Existence-Consciousness-Bliss."

7. "The place where even the slightest trace of the 'I'-thought does not exist, alone is Self."

8. "The Self itself is God."

Anil

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:20:36 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #5764 on: February 16, 2019, 07:44:09 AM »
funny how everything is something , huh ? .... lol
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: February 16, 2019, 08:48:10 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:

1. The world is so unhappy because it is ignorant of the true Self. Man's real nature is happiness. Happiness is inborn in the true Self. Man's search for happiness is an unconscious search for his true Self. The true Self is imperishable; therefore, when a man finds it, he finds a happiness which does not come to an end.

2. Know Thyself. All else will be known to thee of its own accord. Discriminate between the undying, unchanging, all-pervading, infinite Atma and the ever-changing, phenomenal and perishable universe and body. Enquire, "Who am I?" Make the mind calm. Free yourself from all thoughts other than the simple thought of the Self or Atma. Dive deep into the chambers of your heart. Find out the real, infinite "I". Rest there peacefully for ever and become identical with the Supreme Self.

3. he Self is only one. Do you feel hurt if you blame yourself or scorn yourself for your errors? If you hold the Self there is no second person to scorn you. When you see the world you have lost hold of the Self. On the contrary, hold the Self and the world will not appear.

4. Relative knowledge pertains to the mind and not to the Self. It is therefore illusory and not permanent. Take a scientist, for instance. He formulates a theory that the Earth is round and goes on to prove it on an incontrovertible basis. When he falls asleep the whole idea vanishes; his mind is left a blank. What does it matter whether the world remains round or flat when he is asleep? So you see the futility of all such relative knowledge. One should go beyond relative knowledge and abide in the Self. Real knowledge is such experience, and not apprehension by the mind.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: February 16, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »
Quote: "funny how everything is something , huh ? .... lol"

Dear Sri Beloved Absrtact, funny how is the ABSTRACT your Beloved!  , huh ? .... lol!! Duality? Nay!  Everything is not something, EVERYTHING  IS  BRAHMAN!! Therefore, stop telling your own story, and be. 
Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: February 16, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

Once, an University Professor of Philosophy, very much enamoured after listening to the explanation that Sri Bhagavan gave to a verse in 'Forty Verses on Reality--ULLDAU NARPADU , in all emotion, said : "Bhagavan ! You are the Greatest Teacher ! Your teaching is the Greatest Teaching !" Sri Bhagavan gave a compassionate look at him and said : "Teacher and Teaching, for whom ?"

Yes, Sir ! The Greatest Teacher is there and the Greatest Teaching is also there--it is undeniable ! But, yet there is a 'missing link' in this Golden Spiritual Chain ! The missing link is 'YOU' ! "Teacher--Teaching--YOU"-- this is the `Golden Spiritual Chain' !

Sri Bhagavan is helping the 'YOU' in every one of us to wake up and complete the precious 'Eternal Chain' ! And, thus make full use of it, in our daily life. There is no alternative left for us except applying ourselves studiously to sadhana. Sri Bhagavan royally commands us to wake up to Spiritual Perfection !
Let us all abide by the Master's 'Words of Wisdom' !

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:10:46 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: February 16, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »
Question: How can action which is subdued in Samadhi (the state of Self-absorption) emerge and continue to function?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The all-pervading Infinite Self brings about the actions. They are performed through the senses and limbs. The man's ego is doing nothing. It is also incapable of doing anything. When an author is writing he is so absorbed in his ideas, that he forgets he is writing with a pen with his own hand. He is unaware of his body. Once the consciousness dawns that he is the person that is writing it, that it is his hand and his pen that writes it, the flow of his ideas is arrested. He comes down from the Self-absorption and becomes aware of his pen, and hand, and so is not able to write. The pen, the hand, etc., are inanimate objects and the power of the Self alone is capable of giving life to them and making them work.

The results of one's actions do not affect the Self. The lightning and the thunder produced on account of the clash of clouds in the sky do not affect the sky. If we realise that we are part and parcel of the force of the Self, there would be no reason why we should falter or get confused.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: February 17, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »
Question: For one who has realised his Self, it is said that he will not have the three states of wakefulness, dream and deep sleep. Is that a fact?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: What makes you say that they do not have the three states? In saying, 'I had a dream; I was in deep sleep; I am awake', you must admit that you were there in all three states. That makes it clear that you were there all the time. If you remain as you are now, you are in the wakeful state; this becomes hidden in the dream state; and the dream state disappears when you are in deep sleep. You were there then, you are there now, and you are there at all times. The three states come and go, but you are always there.

It is like a cinema. The screen is always there but several types of pictures appear on the screen and then disappear. Nothing sticks to the screen, it remains a screen. Similarly, you remain your own Self in all the three states. If you know that, the three states will not trouble you, just as the pictures which appear on the screen do not stick to it. On the screen, you sometimes see a huge ocean with endless waves; that disappears. Another time, you see fire spreading all around; that too disappears. The screen is there on both occasions. Did the screen get wet with the water or was it burnt by fire? Nothing affected the screen. In the same way, the things that happen during the wakeful, dream and sleep states do not affect you at all; you remain your own Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: February 17, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

Kunju Swami asked Bhagavan Sri Ramana, "Why was it that I lost the state of bliss and became unhappy again when I went back to my village? What should I do to get over my confusion and thereby gain clarity?"

Sri Bhagavan listened to his questions with a smile and replied, "You have studied Kaivalya Navaneetam; one of the verses says that if one enquires into and comes to see the individual self and thus transcends it to its substratum, the eternal Self, he becomes the substratum, the Self itself. Remaining always as the Self, there will be no more births and deaths."

"How can I know my Self?", Kunju Swami asked.

"First recognize who you are", the Guru answered.

Kunju Swami inquired, "How can I recognize who I am?"

"See from where thoughts arise", Sri Bhagavan said.

"But how is this to be done?", Sri Kunju Swami pressed.

Sri Bhagavan replied, "Turn your mind inward and be the Heart."

Then with His gracious look fixed on Kunju Swami, He reverted to his natural state of silence. At that very moment, Kunju Swami's agitation and confusion ceased. He experienced a peace and bliss he had never experienced before.

Kunju Swami asked again, "But how and why did I lose the experience of bliss when I went back to my village?"

Sri Bhagavan quoted again from the Kaivalya Navaneetam, "The experience of the Self as a glimpse can occur in the presence of the Guru but it may not last. Doubts will rise again and again. In order to clear them the disciple should continue to study, contemplate and practice. Studying or listening is sravana, contemplation is manana, and then practicing it is nididhyaasana. Sravana (hearing), manana (contemplation) and nididhyaasana (Self-abidance or abidance in Silence) should be done until the distinction between the known, the knower and the knowing no longer rises. There should be no difference, no other at all."
After Sri Bhagavan had explained this to him, Kunju Swami decided to stay in His presence and to carry out the practices He prescribed. He found that if any doubt arose in his mind, it was cleared by merely listening to Bhagavan's answers to others? questions. He rarely had to ask a question himself.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:19:43 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: February 17, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »
Visitor: I am a Christian. I am having faith in God and Jesus' teachings. I am striving to see God. Kindly help me.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: How can you see God and where?

Visitor: No. No. Jesus says--Be still and know that you are God. How can it be--I have full faith in Christ. I am doing regular prayers and follow all instructions. I do not understand this narration which causes confusion.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: (After two minutes) You say you have faith in Christ, why do you doubt His words?

Visitor: I am a common man. How can I raise myself to the status of God?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Did you follow His words and practice................Be still.............. Be............without the disturbance of your mind--mind only disturbs your natural stillness. Stillness is your nature.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:26:15 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: February 17, 2019, 04:15:26 PM »
Death experience of Sri Ramana Bhagavan

Now death has come; what does it mean? What is it that is dying? This body dies. And I at once dramatized the occurrence of death. I lay with my limbs stretched out stiff as though rigor mortis had set in and imitated a corpse so as to give greater reality to the enquiry. I held my breath and kept my lips tightly closed so that no sound could escape, so that neither the word I or any other word could be uttered, Well then,  I said to myself, this body is dead. It will be carried stiff to the burning ground and there burnt and reduced to ashes. But with the death of this body am I dead Is the body I It is silent and inert but I feel the full force of my personality and even the voice of the I within me, apart from it. So I am Spirit transcending the body. The body dies but the Spirit that transcends it cannot be touched by death. This means I am the deathless Spirit. All this was not dull thought; it flashed through me vividly as living truth which I perceived directly, almost without thought-process. I was something very real, the only real thing about my present state, and all the conscious activity connected with my body was centred on that I. From that moment onwards the I or Self focused attention on itself by a powerful fascination. Fear of death had vanished once and for all. Absorption in the Self continued unbroken from that time on. Other thoughts might come and go like the various notes of music, but the I continued like the fundamental sruti note  that underlies and blends with all the other notes. Whether the body was engaged in talking, reading, or anything else, I was still centred on I. Previous to that crisis I had no clear perception of my Self and was not consciously attracted to it. I felt no perceptible or direct interest in it, much less any inclination to dwell permanently in it.

from  Sri ramanamaharishi org official web site
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:17:02 PM by Balaji »
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: February 18, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
Question: How long will it take for one to get the Grace of the Guru?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Why do you desire to know?

Question: To give me hope.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Even such a desire is an obstacle. The Self is ever there, there is nothing without it. Be the Self and the desires and doubts will disappear . Grace is the beginning, middle and end. Grace is the Self. Because of the false identification of the Self with the body the Guru is considered to be a body. But from the Guru's outlook the Guru is only the Self. The Self is one only and the Guru tells you that the Self alone is. Is not then the Self your Guru? Where else will Grace come from? It is from the Self alone. Manifestation of the Self is a manifestation of Grace and vice versa. All these doubts arise because of the wrong outlook and consequent expectation of things external to oneself. Nothing is external to the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: February 18, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

Once, I (V. Ganesan) asked him (T. K. Sundaresa Iyer), "How did you compose the mantra Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya?"
TKS was kind enough to share the following: "From my early childhood, I was deeply devoted to Lord Krishna. Generations after generations of our family were initiated into the mantra, 'Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya'. Vasudeva is another name for Sri Krishna. Hence, I read with great interest and delight the Bhagavad Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam. I longed to have the vision of Sri Krishna. One day, a line from the Bhagavad Gita where Lord Krishna declares, 'Jnani tu atmaiva mey matam......' meaning, 'The jnani is my own Self', went deep into my heart. I thought, while I have at hand Bhagavan Ramana, who is himself Vasudeva, why should I worship and long to have the vision of Sri Krishna separately? Thus, I contemplated: 'I want one single mantra, a single God and a single scripture, so that there is no conflict of loyalties.' Suddenly, it dawned within my heart, 'Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya'. My Heart continued resounding with it without a gap. I ran to Bhagavan and told him of the advent of the sacred mantra. He bestowed the mantra with his full approval. Later, I counted the syllables in the new mantra. It was twelve. The Vasudeva mantra too, contained twelve syllables. I was delighted. Coming to know of Bhagavan's full approval of the mantra, the ashram management accepted it so fully that they even altered the original ashram crest so that beneath the symbol of 'Om' the words 'Sri Ramanasramam' was replaced with 'Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya'."

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:01:24 PM by eranilkumarsinha »