Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1013831 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5760 on: February 14, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

A Siva shrine is located at each of the eight cardinal directions on the circumambulation route around Arunachala. Determined to perform his penance to the best of his capacity, he (Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni) went southwest to the Nirudhilingam shrine. It was surrounded by forests at that time. He took shelter in the hollow of a large, dead tree and resumed his severe penance of being silent and going without food. After the fifth or sixth day, the divine Mother spoke to him: "Until you have a guru, you cannot achieve your goal. Your guru is up there on the hill. Surrender at his holy feet and you will get his grace. Go now!"

Kavyakantha leapt out of the hollow. It was one o'clock in the afternoon, and the sun was beating down hard. The Karthikai festival was on and hundreds of people thronged around the hill. Undeterred, he ran up the hill to Virupaksha cave and found Bhagavan sitting alone outside. Bhagavan directed his glance of grace at Kavyakantha. Like many devotees before him, he was transfixed and could not take his eyes off Bhagavan. Kavyakantha, an erudite scholar and an inspired poet, had never prostrated himself before any human being. Suddenly, he found himself flat on the ground in front of the young ascetic. He held Bhagavan's feet tightly and cried, "I have read all that has to be read. I have fully read Vedanta, I have performed japa to my heart's content, yet I have not understood what tapas is! Therefore, I have sought refuge at your feet. Pray, enlighten me as to the nature of tapas." The word 'tapas' in Sanskrit literally means 'striving for the realization of truth through flaming penance and austerity'. However, Bhagavan imparted its deeper meaning to Kavyakantha. Helping him rise to his feet, Bhagavan looked into his eyes and after some time slowly replied, "If one watches from where the notion 'I' arises, the mind is absorbed into That. That is tapas." And since Kavyakantha had himself revealed that he practiced mantra japa - repeating mantras thousands of times every day, the master added, "When repeating a mantra, if one watches the source from which the sound is produced, the mind is absorbed in that. That is tapas."
These revelations thrilled Kavyakantha. He finally understood how to be in touch with the truth through a practical method. Wave after wave of ecstasy flooded through him for hours in the presence of the ascetic.

"If one watches from where the notion 'I' arises, the mind is absorbed into That. That is tapas."

Indeed! This alone is the direct and most practical way to practice the Presence of God and to be in touch with the Truth! This is what is known to His devotees as the 'Ramana Way'.

Anil

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:19:54 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: February 14, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »
Question: How does a person of steady Knowledge [jnani] know that he is one such? Is it because of the awareness of fullness of his Knowledge? Or is it because of cessation of objective awareness?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  In the firm natural state, through the silence of the mind free of all tendencies, the Knower knows himself as such, without any doubt.

Question: For seekers of Truth is the critical study of the scriptures alone enough for Knowledge?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There is no doubt that mere critical study of scriptures cannot liberate the one seeking Truth. Without upasana, spiritual practice, there cannot be attainment. This is certain. Experience of the natural state during spiritual practice is called upasana. When that itself is unwaveringly attained it is called true Knowledge.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: February 15, 2019, 09:10:10 AM »
Question: What is Reality?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Reality must be always real. It is not with forms and names. That which underlies these is the Reality. It underlies limitations, being itself limitless. It is not bound. It underlies unrealities, itself being real. Reality is that which is. It is as it is. It transcends speech. It is beyond the expressions 'existence, non-existence', etc.

The reality which is the mere consciousness that remains when ignorance is destroyed along with knowledge of objects, alone is the Self (Atma). In that Brahma-swarupa (real form of Brahman), which is abundant Self-awareness, there is not the least ignorance.

The reality which shines fully, without misery and without a body, not only when the world is known but also when the world is not known, is your real form (nija-swarupa).

The radiance of Consciousness-Bliss, in the form of one Awareness shining equally within and without, is the supreme and blissful primal Reality. Its form is Silence and it is declared by Jnanis (Self-realised) to be the final and unobstructable State of true Knowledge (Jnana).
Know that Jnana (Knowledge of the real Self) alone is non-attachment; Jnana alone is Purity; Jnana is the attainment of God; Jnana which is devoid of forgetfulness of Self alone is immortality; Jnana alone is everything.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: February 15, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »
The Booklet 'Nan Yar?' (Who am I?) elaborates on the Self-enquiry thus:

1. "Of all the thoughts that rise in the mind, the thought 'I' is the first thought."

2. "What is called mind is a wondrous power existing in Self. It projects all thoughts. If we set aside all thoughts and see, there will be no such thing as mind remaining separate; therefore, thought itself is the form of the mind. Other than thoughts, there is no such thing as the mind."

3. "That which rises in this body as 'I' is the mind. If one enquires 'In which place in the body does the thought 'I' rise first?', it will be known to be in the Heart [spiritual Heart is 'two digits to the right from the centre of the chest']. Even if one incessantly thinks 'I', 'I', it will lead to that place (Self)'."

4. "The mind will subside only by means of the enquiry 'Who am I?'. The thought 'Who am I?', destroying all other thoughts, will itself finally be destroyed like the stick used for stirring the funeral pyre."

5. "If other thoughts rise, one should, without attempting to complete them, enquire, 'To whom did they arise?', it will be known 'To me'. If one then enquires 'Who am I?', the mind (power of attention) will turn back to its source. By repeatedly practising thus, the power of the mind to abide in its source increases."

6. "Knowledge itself is 'I'. The nature of (this) knowledge is Existence-Consciousness-Bliss."

7. "The place where even the slightest trace of the 'I'-thought does not exist, alone is Self."

8. "The Self itself is God."

Anil

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:20:36 PM by eranilkumarsinha »