Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1017104 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5745 on: February 08, 2019, 08:47:23 AM »
Question: How to get rid of egoism?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Just see it for what it really is, that will be enough. It is the ego itself which makes an effort to get rid of itself, so how can it die? If the ego is to go, then something else must kill it. Will it ever consent to commit suicide? So first realise what the true nature of the ego is and it will go of its own accord. Examine the nature of the ego: that is the process of realisation. If one sees what one's real nature is, that itself will get rid of the ego. Until then is it just like chasing one's own shadow; the more one advances the more distant is the shadow. If we leave our own Self, then the ego will manifest itself. If we seek our true nature, then ego dies. If we are in our own Reality, then we need not trouble about the ego.

Seek your Source. Find out where the thought "I" springs from. What object can we be surer of and know more certainly than our Self? This is direct experience and cannot be described further. If the present "I" goes, the mind is known for what it is--a myth. What remains is the pure Self. In deep sleep the Self exists without the perception of the body or the world, and happiness reigns.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: February 08, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »
Question: What is the way to see God?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Where to see God? First, can you see yourself? If you can see yourself you can see God. Can anyone see his own eyes? Because they cannot be seen, can one say, "I have no eyes?" Just like this, though seeing is always there, we cannot see God. To give up the thought that we are alien to God is to see God. The first and foremost wonder in this world is the thought, "I am different from God." There is no greater wonder than this.

Question: I have read much of the Vedas and the scriptures, but no Self-knowledge has come to me. Why is this?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Self-knowledge will come to you only if it is there in the scriptures. If you see the scriptures, knowledge of the scriptures will come. If you see the Self, Self-knowledge will shine.

Question: How to see the Self?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Everyone says "I am." How do we know that this is true? Do we know this by looking in the mirror or do we know it only after looking in the scriptures? Tell me.

If the Self is something to be seen, there should be two selves, the self which looks and the Self which is seen. Would you agree that you have two "I"s?

Question: No.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The Reality that exists is only One. Then how can there be another self which is to be seen? All are seeing the Self everywhere but they don't understand. What a pity! What to do? If the thought "I am this body" is given up, what is seen is only the Self.

Dear devotees, and 'I am the body' idea will go away only if the 'ego-body-mind' complexities are revealed to be illusory by profound Inquiry. Bhagwan Sri Ramana has unequivocally taught that one infallible means to give up these adjuncts or superimposition (non-Self) on the Swarupa (the Self) is to ask profoundly 'Who Am I?', seek the Source and just be, and that's alone the Direct and Straight Path Sri Bhagwan speaks of. 

Anil

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:43:50 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: February 08, 2019, 12:44:29 PM »
Devotee: Why does not Sri Bhagavan go about and preach the Truth to the people at large?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: How do you know that I am not doing it? Does preaching consist in mounting a platform and haranguing to the people around? Preaching is simple communication of knowledge. It may be done in Silence too.

What do you think of a man listening to a harangue for an hour and going away without being impressed by it so as to change his life? Compare him with another who sits in a holy presence and leaves after some time with his outlook on life totally changed. Which is better: To preach loudly without effect or to sit silently sending forth intuitive forces to play on others?

Again how does speech arise? There is Abstract Knowledge (Unmanifest). From it there rises the ego which gives rise to thoughts and words successively. So then:

Abstract Knowledge-->Ego-->Thoughts--->Words

Words are therefore the great grandson of the original source. If words can produce an effect, how much more powerful should the preaching through silence be? Judge for yourself.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: February 09, 2019, 08:55:52 AM »
Question: In what sense is happiness or bliss our real nature?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Perfect Bliss is Reality. Perfect Peace is of the Self. That alone exists and is Consciousness. That which is called Happiness is only the nature of Self; Self is not other than Perfect Happiness. That which is called Happiness alone exists. Knowing that fact and abiding in the state of Self, enjoy Bliss eternally.

If a man thinks that his happiness is due to external causes and his possessions, it is reasonable to conclude that his happiness must increase with the increase of possessions and diminish in proportion to their diminution. Therefore if he is devoid of possessions, his happiness should be nil. What is the real experience of man? Does it conform to this view?

In deep sleep man is devoid of possessions, including his own body. Instead of being unhappy he is quite happy. Everyone desires to sleep soundly. The conclusion is that happiness is inherent in man and is not due to external causes. One must realize the Self in order to open the store of Unalloyed Happiness.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:58:52 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: February 10, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »
Question: Having heard the Truth, why does not one remain content?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Because innate mental tendencies [samskaras] have not been destroyed. Unless the samskaras cease to exist, there will always be doubt and confusion. All efforts are directed to destroying doubt and confusion. To do so their roots must be cut. Their roots are the samskaras. These are rendered ineffective by practice as prescribed by the Guru. The Guru leaves it to the seeker to do this much so that he might himself find out that there is no ignorance. Hearing the Truth is the first stage. If the understanding is not firm, one has to practice reflection [manana] and uninterrupted contemplation [nididhyasana] on it. These two processes scorch the seeds of samskaras so that they are rendered ineffective.

Some extraordinary people get unshakable Jnana [Knowledge of the Self] after hearing the Truth only once. These are the advanced seekers. Beginners take longer to gain it.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: February 10, 2019, 02:10:35 PM »
Question: You say that the trinity of knower, known and knowledge is an appearance and that there is a unity behind it, supporting it. What is this unity, is it a powerful one?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: It is an all-powerful existence.

Question: You have often said, and the books also say, that Reality [Brahman] is immobile. Now you say it is all powerful. Does it not then move?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Power implies movement. Though Reality [Ishwara] moves by His power, which is movement, He transcends the movement; He is unmoving, beyond movement.

Question: Is there no difference between the power [shakti] and the powerful [shakta]?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: No. That depends upon your attitude. There is only one Truth. Looking at the movement, one calls it "power". Another, settling himself in the support of the movement, calls it "unmoving". If the former is activity, the latter is the ground, support or substance. Force and substance are inseparable, are indeed two aspects of one and the same Truth. Only, without the movement of the power the real substance is not apprehended.

Question: What is the true character of power?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: It is coeval with the Eternal Reality; it has no existence apart from Him. It is the Eternal activity of Reality, creating the myriad of worlds.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: February 11, 2019, 08:42:24 AM »
Question: What is the Truth that I have to attain? Please explain it and show it to me.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: What we have to attain and what is desired by everyone is endless happiness. Although we seek to attain it in various ways, it is not something to be sought or attained as a new experience. Our real nature is the "I" feeling which is always experienced by everyone. It is within us and nowhere else. Although we are always experiencing it, our minds are wandering, always seeking it, thinking in ignorance that it is something apart from us. This is like a person saying with his own tongue that he has no tongue.

Question: I am now sitting peacefully without the thought "I am this body." Is this the state of Reality?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: This state must remain as it is without any change. If it changes after a while you will know that other thoughts have not gone.

Question: What is the way to get rid of other thoughts?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: They can only be removed through the powerful effect of the enquiry, "To whom have these thoughts come?"

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »
When the Student is ready, the Teacher appears.
When the Student is truly ready, the Teacher disappears.
Sri Lau Tzu
..................................................................................

.........and then the Student also disappears.
After the Teacher and Student both disappear, what remains is the Supreme Self!
Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: February 12, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
Question: I pray for your Grace as human effort is futile without it.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Both are necessary. The sun is shining, but you must turn and look at it in order to catch a glimpse. Similarly, individual effort is necessary as well as Grace.

Grace is within you; if it were external it would be useless. Grace is the Self; you are never out of its reach. If you remember the Guru, it is because you have been prompted by the Self. Isn't Grace already there? Is there a moment when Grace is not operating in you? Your remembrance of the Guru is the forerunner of Grace. Grace is both the response and the stimulus. That is the Self and that is Grace. There is no cause for anxiety.

Dear devotees, by our own finite effort alone, Infinite cannot be attained. But when Divine or Guru?s Grace combines with our effort which is always limited, and both act and react upon each other, there is nothing that cannot be attained! But then, Sri Bhagwan has assured that the Grace is always there and there is no moment when it is not operating in us. Otherwise, how can stimulus, remembrance and Response happen at all?   

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: February 12, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
Question: When a man realizes the Self, what will he see?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There is no seeing. Seeing is only being. The state of Self-realisation, as we call it, is not attaining something new or reaching some goal which is far away, but simply being that which you always are and which you always have been. All that is needed is that you give up your realization of the not-true as true. All of us are regarding as real that which is not real. We have only to give up this practice on our part. Then we shall realize the Self as the Self; in other words, "Be the Self". At one stage you will laugh at yourself for trying to discover the Self which is so self-evident. So, what can we say to this question?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: February 12, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The incentive to realise can arise only in the waking state and efforts can also be made only when one is awake. We learn that the thoughts in the waking state form the obstacle to gaining the stillness of sleep. ?Be still and know that I AM God?. So stillness is the aim of the seeker. Even a single effort to still at least a single thought even for a trice goes a long way to reach the state of quiescence. Effort is required and it is possible in the waking state only. There is the effort here: there is awareness also; the thoughts are stilled; so there is the peace of sleep gained. That is the state of the Jnani. It is neither sleep nor waking but intermediate between the two. There is the awareness of the waking state and the stillness of sleep. It is called jagrat-sushupti (Waking Sleep). Call it wakeful sleep or sleeping wakefulness or sleepless waking or wakeless sleep. It is not the same as sleep or waking separately. It is atijagrat (beyond wakefulness) or atisushupti (beyond sleep). It is the state of perfect awareness and of perfect stillness combined. It lies between sleep and waking; it is also the interval between two successive thoughts. It is the source from which thoughts spring; we see that when we wake up from sleep. In other words thoughts have their origin in the stillness of sleep. The thoughts make all the difference between the stillness of sleep and the turmoil of waking.

Go to the root of the thoughts and you reach the stillness of sleep. But you reach it in the full vigour of search, that is, with perfect awareness. That is again jagrat-sushupti spoken of before. It is not dullness; but it is Bliss. It is not transitory but it is eternal. From that the thoughts proceed. What are all our experiences but thoughts? Pleasure and pain are mere thoughts. They are within ourselves. If you are free from thoughts and yet aware, you are That Perfect Being.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: February 13, 2019, 09:01:42 AM »
Question: Of what nature is the realisation of westerners who relate that they have had flashes of cosmic consciousness?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi:  It came as a flash and disappeared as such. That which has a beginning must also end. Only when the ever-present consciousness is realised will it be permanent. Consciousness is indeed always with us. Everyone knows "I am." No one can deny his own being. The man in deep sleep is not aware; while awake he seems to be aware. But it is the same person. There is no change in the one who slept and the one who is now awake. In deep sleep he was not aware of his body and so there was no body-consciousness. In the wakeful state he is aware of his body and so there is body-consciousness. Therefore the difference lies in the emergence of body-consciousness and not in any change in the real consciousness.

There is no one who does not say "I am". The wrong knowledge of "I am the body" is the cause of all the mischief. This wrong knowledge must go. That is realisation. Realisation is not acquisition of anything new nor is it a new faculty. It is only removal of all camouflage.

The ultimate Truth is so simple. It is nothing more than being in the pristine state. This is all that need be said.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
Question: How does the Guru's Grace lead to Self-realisation?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: An aspirant begins with dissatisfaction. Not content with the world, he seeks satisfaction of desires, prays to God, and his mind is purified. His longing to know God is greater than his wish to satisfy his carnal desires. It is then that God's Grace begins to manifest. He takes the form of a Guru and appears to the devotee, teaches the truth and purifies the mind by his teachings and contact. The mind gains strength and is able to turn inward. With meditation, it is purified further and remains still without the slightest ripple. That expanse is the Self. The Guru is both external and internal. From the outside he pushes the mind inwards, and from the inside he pulls the mind towards the Self and helps it keep quiet. That is the Grace. There is no difference between God, Guru and Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: February 13, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Look for the ego and it vanishes. If you enquire, ignorance will be found to be non-existent. It is the mind which feels misery and darkness. SEE THE  SELF.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: February 14, 2019, 08:46:37 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: "That State which transcends speech and thought is Mouna (Silence). That which is, is Mouna (Silence). How can Mouna (Silence) be explained in words? Sages say that the State in which the thought-'I' (the ego) does not rise even in the least, alone is Self (Swarupa) which is Silence (Mouna). That Silent Self alone is God; Self alone is the jiva (individual soul). Self alone is this ancient world. All other kinds of knowledge are only petty and trivial knowledge; the experience of Silence alone is the real and Perfect Knowledge. Know that the many objective differences are not real but are mere superimpositions on Self, which is the form of True Knowledge."