Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1110797 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5730 on: February 02, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »
Question: When we fall from the path what should we do?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: All will be well in the end. There is a steady determination that gets you on your feet again after a fall or break. Gradually the obstacles get weaker and your current gets stronger. Everything comes right in the end. Steady determination is what is required. Peace will be deeper and more prolonged with continued practice. It will also lead to the goal.

The control of desire and meditation are interdependent. They must go hand in hand. Practice and dispassion bring about the result. Dispassion is to restrain the mind from projecting outwards and practice is to keep it turned inward. There is a constant struggle within between control and meditation. Meditation will eventually be successful. If you seek God with your whole heart, then you may be assured that the Grace of God is also seeking you.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: February 02, 2019, 12:07:04 PM »
Question: Why do I not realize the Self?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The fact is that all the while you are knowing the 'Self'. How can the Self not know the Self? Only, you, the Self have got into the habit of thinking that you are a third thing. What is to be done is to get rid of the wrong notion of the Self. In the case of the ever-present, inescapable 'I', how can you be ignorant? You have constantly to fight out and get rid of your false notion of I, one after another. Do that. That then leads to Self-realization. Who is ignorant of which? Ask the question and pursue the enquiry as to who it is that is said to be ignorant. Once you put the question trying to probe into the I, the I disappears. Then what remains is the true Self-knowledge.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:09:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: February 03, 2019, 09:00:47 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: 'I-am-the-body' thought is ignorance; that the body is not apart from the Self is knowledge. That is the difference between knowledge and ignorance. The body is a mental projection, the mind is the ego; and the ego rises from the Self. So the body-thought is distracting and strays away from the Self. For whom is the body or the birth? It is not for the Self, the Spirit. It is for the non-self which imagines itself separate. So long as there is the sense of separation there will be afflicting thoughts. If the original source is regained and the sense of separation is put an end to, there is peace. Consider what happens when a stone is thrown up. It leaves its source and is projected up, tries to come down and is always in motion until it regains its source, where it is at rest. So also the
waters of the ocean evaporate, form clouds which are moved by winds, condense into water, fall as rain and the waters roll down the hill in streams and rivers, until they reach their original source, the ocean, reaching which they are at peace. Thus, you see, wherever there is a sense of separateness from the source there is agitation and movement until the sense of separateness is lost. So it is with yourself. Now that you identify yourself with the body you think that you are separate from the Spirit - the true Self. You must regain your source before the false identity ceases and you are happy.

Gold is not an ornament, but the ornament is nothing but gold. Whatever shape the ornament may assume and however different the ornaments are, there is only one reality, namely gold. So also with the bodies and the Self. The single reality is the Self. To identify
oneself with the body and yet to seek happiness is like attempting to cross a river on the back of an alligator. The body identity is due to extroversion and the wandering of the mind. To continue in that state will only keep one in an endless tangle and there will be no peace.
Seek your source, merge in the Self and remain all alone.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:02:25 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: February 03, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »
Question: What about practicing meditation in a group or alone?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The latter is advisable for beginners, but we must learn to advance to the point where we create our own mental solitude, then it will not matter where we are. We must learn to find mental solitude in the midst of society; we should not give up our meditation because we are among people, but carry it on even then. Just do not be ostentatious about it--do it secretly. Do not make an exhibition of the fact that you are meditating.

Question: Should I meditate with the eyes open or closed?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You can meditate with the eyes open or shut, whichever suits you best. It differs with different people. Seeing is when the mind looks through the eyes, but if it is not looking because it is focused within, it does not see even if the eyes are open. It is the same with sounds. If you pay attention to them, you will hear them, but if you persistently focus only on the Self within, you won't hear them.
The point is that the mind must be introverted and kept active in its pursuit. Sometimes when the eyes are closed, latent thoughts rush forth with great vigor. It may also be difficult to introvert the mind with the eyes open, as that requires strength of mind. When the mind takes in objects it is contaminated. The main factor is to resist all other thoughts and keep the mind on its own pursuit, without taking in external impressions or thinking of other matters.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: February 03, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »
Devotee: Sri Bhagavan says that the state of Realization is freedom from the tyranny of thoughts. Have not the thoughts got a place in the scheme of things - maybe on a lower plane?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The thoughts arise from the 'I-thought' which in its turn arises from the Self. Therefore the Self manifests as 'I' and other thoughts. What does it matter if there are thoughts or no thoughts?

Devotee: Are good thoughts helpful for Realization? Are they not authentic via media, a lower rung of the ladder, to Realization?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes - this way. They keep off bad thoughts. They must themselves disappear before the state of Realization.

Devotee: But are not creative thoughts an aspect of Realization and therefore helpful?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Helpful only in the way said before. They must all disappear in the Self. Thoughts, good or bad, take you farther and not nearer, because the Self is more intimate than thoughts. You are Self, whereas the thoughts are alien to the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: February 04, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »
Devotee: Is the thought "I am God" or "I am the Supreme Being? helpful"

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: I am that I am". "I am" is God - not thinking, "I am God". Realise "I am" and do not think I am. "Know I am God" - it is said, and not ?Think I am God.?
Later Sri Bhagavan continued: It is said "I AM that I AM". That means a person must abide as the 'I'. He is always the 'I' alone. He is nothing else. Yet he asks "Who am I?" A victim of illusion would ask "Who am I?" and not a man fully aware of himself. The wrong identity of the Self with the non-self makes you ask, "Who am I?"

Later still: There are different routes to Tiruvannamalai, but Tiruvannamalai is the same by whichever route it is gained. Similarly the approach to the subject varies according to the personality. Yet the Self is the same. But still, being in Tiruvannamalai, if one asks for the route it is ridiculous. So also, being the Self, if one asks how to realise the Self it looks absurd. You are the Self. Remain as the Self. That is all. The questions arise because of the present wrong identification of the Self with the body. That is ignorance. This must go. On its removal the Self alone is.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:59:41 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: February 04, 2019, 09:11:19 AM »
A Swiss lady complains to Sri Bhagavan that she gets a headache if meditation be prolonged for some time.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana said:  If the meditator and meditation be understood to be the same there will be no headache or similar complaints.

Devotee: But they are different. How shall we consider them to be the same?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: That is due to your outlook. There is only one and there are no differences. On meditation the relative consciousness will vanish. That is not annihilation; for Absolute Consciousness arises. The Bible itself says, "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you" . . . If you consider yourself to be the body there is some difficulty in understanding the statement. On the other hand if you know who you really are, the Kingdom of Heaven and all are included in your true Self. They are concepts arising after the ego has arisen. Drishtim jnanamayeem krtva pasyet Brahmamayam jagat (Direct your look within and make it absolute). With that absolute awareness realised, look without and you will realise the universe to be not apart from the realised Absolute. Because your outlook is externally directed you speak of a without. In that state you are advised to look within. This within is relative to the without you are seeking. In fact, the Self is neither without nor within. Speaking of Heaven one thinks of it as above or below, within or without, since one is accustomed to relative knowledge. One seeks only objective knowledge and hence these ideas. Really speaking there is neither up nor down, neither in nor out. If they were real they must be present in dreamless sleep also. For what is real must be continuous and permanent. Did you feel 'in' or 'out' in sleep? Of course not.

Devotee: I do not remember.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: If there was anything there that could be remembered. But you admit your existence then. The same Self is now speaking. The Self who was undifferentiated in sleep is differentiated in the present state, and sees the diversity. The Real Existence is the only One devoid of objective knowledge. That is absolute consciousness. That is the state of happiness, as admitted by all of us. That state must be brought about even in this waking state. It is called Jagrat Sushupti (Waking Sleep). That is Mukti(Liberation).

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:13:06 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: February 04, 2019, 12:12:57 PM »
Devotee: Association with the wise may strengthen the mind. There must also be practice. What practice should be made?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Yes. Practice is necessary too. Practice means removal of predispositions. Practice is not for any fresh gain; it is to kill the predispositions.

Devotee: Abhyasa (practice) should give me that power.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Practice is power. If thoughts are reduced to a single thought the mind is said to have grown strong. When practice remains unshaken it becomes sahaja (natural).

Devotee: What is such practice?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Enquiring into the Self. That is all. Fix the mind on the SELF.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: February 05, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »
Question: It is stated in the scriptures that the Self will reveal itself only to one whom it chooses. Then what is the use of our efforts?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The Self will draw to itself an aspirant only when he becomes introverted. So long as he is extroverted Self-realisation is impossible. Many people try to define the Self instead of attempting to know the Self.

Question: What is Self-realisation?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: People expect something to happen, something to drop from heaven in a flash. It is nothing of the sort. Only the notion that you are the body, that you are this or that will go. You will remain as you are.

Question: I feel I have the experience of the Self, but my mind does not agree with that.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: What are these two selves, one objecting to the other? Experience for all is that the Self is only one.

Question: What is the nature of the Self?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Abide in the Self, free from thoughts, instead of enquiring about the nature of the Self.

Question: I feel that Self-realisation is no easy thing to reach.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Why stultify yourself by anticipating failure in your course? Push on. There you are.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: February 05, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »
One Sri Ramchandar, a gentleman from Ambala asked where the Heart is and what Realization is.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The Heart is not physical; it is spiritual. 'Hridayam'--'hrit' + 'ayam'---'THIS IS THE CENTRE'. It's that from which thoughts arise, on which they subsist and where they are resolved. The thoughts are the content of the mind and, they shape the universe. The Heart is the Centre of all. That from which these beings come into existence is said to be 'Brahman' in the Upanishads. That is the Heart. 'Brahman' is the Heart.

Devotee: How to realize it?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There is no one who even for a trice fails to experience the Self. For no one admits he ever stands apart from the Self. He is the Self. The Self is the Heart.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:18:27 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: February 06, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »
Question: Why is it that sometimes I find concentration on the Self so easy, and at other times hopelessly difficult?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Because of latent tendencies of the mind. But really, it is easy, since we are the Self. All we have to do is to remember that. We keep on forgetting it, and thus think we are this body, or this ego. If the will and desire to remember the Self are strong enough, they will eventually overcome tendencies. There must be a great battle going on inwardly all the time until the Self is realised. This battle is symbolically spoken of in scriptural writings as the fight between God and Satan. In our texts, it is the Mahabharata, in which the demons represent our bad thoughts and the gods our elevated ones.

We all have to return to our Source. Every human being is seeking their Source and must one day come to it. We came from the Within; we have gone outward and now we must turn inward. What is meditation? It is our natural Self. We have covered ourselves over with thoughts and passions. To throw them off we must concentrate on one thought: the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: February 06, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »
Question: For twenty five years I have been doing spiritual disciplines, mostly repeating the name of Krishna. Until now I was managing fifty thousand repetitions a day. Now my mind refuses to engage itself in thought of God. What has happened to me and what should I do?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: How did you come here from Madras?

Question: By train.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: And then what happened when you got to the station at Tiruvannamalai?

Question: Well, I got off the train, handed my tickets and engaged a bullock cart to take me to the ashram.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: And when you reached the ashram and paid off the driver of the cart what happened to the cart?

Question: It went away, presumably back to the town.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The train brought you to your destination. You got off and didn't need it any more. It had brought you to the place you wanted to reach. Likewise the bullock cart. You got off when it had brought you to Sri Ramanasramam. You don't need the train or the cart anymore. They were the means for bringing you here. Now you are here, they are of no use to you.

This is what happened to your spiritual practice--your japa, your reading and your meditation have brought you to your spiritual destination. You don't need them anymore. You yourself did not give up your practices; they left you of their own accord because they have served their purpose. You have arrived.

Dear devotees, likewise, by coming to the Lotus Feet of Bhagwan Sri Ramana, like small iron pieces getting involuntarily drawn to a powerful magnet, and practicing His Teaching of the Atma-vichara (Self-Inquiry), steadfastly with love and perseverance, we can also be said to have reached our spiritual destination. There should be no doubt whatever about that. Only thing we must remember is that if we abide as pure 'I Am' with effort, it is still sadhana, and when effortless it is Realization Sri Bhagwan speaks of. 

Anil   

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:26:21 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: February 07, 2019, 09:02:26 AM »
Question: Is the appearance of the differentiated universe true or untrue?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: It depends on how we regard the terms true and untrue. If we look at Brahman (Self), there is no universe.

Question: Then why does the universe appear?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Appear to whom? The universe does not say  'I Am'. Is there any evidence to say that the universe appears? To whom does the universe appear?

Question: To me.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Who are you? Find out who you are. Then afterwards tell me if there is a universe.

Question: Why cannot the Self be perceived directly?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Only the Self is said to be directly perceived (pratyaksha). Nothing else is said to be pratyaksha (directly perceived). Although we are having this pratyaksha (directly perceived), the thought "I am this body" is veiling it. If we give up this thought, the Self, which is always within the direct experience of everyone, will shine forth.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: February 07, 2019, 09:29:08 AM »
Question: Sri Bhagavan has stated this so simply. But the thought "I am the body" does not leave us.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: It is not leaving you because it is very strong.

Question: Why and how did that thought come into being?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: It came into being only through a lack of enquiry on your part. A verse in Kaivalya Navanitam gives the same explanation: "Because its nature is not determinable, the illusion [Maya] is said to be inexpressible. They are in its grip who think: "This is mine", "I am the body", "The world is real." O son, no one can ascertain how this mysterious illusion came into being. As to why it arose, it is because of the person's lack of discerning enquiry."

If we see the Self, the objects which are seen will not appear as separate from us. Having seen all the letters on a paper, we fail to see that paper which is the base. Likewise, suffering only arises because we see what is superimposed on the base without seeing the base itself. What is superimposed should not be seen without also seeing the substratum.

How were we in sleep? When we were asleep the various thoughts such as "this body", "this world" were not there. It should be difficult to identify with these waking and dreaming states that appear and disappear, but everyone does it.

Everyone has the experience, "I always am." In order to say "I slept well", "I awoke", "I dreamt", "When unconscious I knew nothing", it is necessary that one exists, and knows that one exists, in all these three states. If one seeks the Self, saying, "I don't see myself", where can one find it? To know that everything we see is the Self, it is enough that the" I am the body" thought ceases to exist.

Dear devotees, it is indeed a wonder that we identify with fleeting states that appear and disappear and not with the Fourth State (Turiya), which is our natural state. Alas! We are accustomed to see only the superimposed and not the Substratum, to see only the reflected light (abhasa) and not the real Sun of the Self. Indeed! All this confusion seems to prevail only on account of lack of discerning Inquiry!
Anil

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:16:34 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: February 07, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »
Devotee: How is realisation made possible?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There is the absolute Self from which a spark proceeds as from fire. The spark is called the ego. In the case of an ignorant man it identifies itself with an object simultaneously with its rise. It cannot remain independent of such association with objects. This association is ajnana or ignorance, whose destruction is the objective of our efforts. If its objectifying tendency is killed it remains pure, and also merges into the source. The wrong identification with the body is dehatmabuddhi ('I-am-the-body' idea). This must go before good results follow.