Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1049435 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5715 on: January 27, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
Visitor: Is renunciation necessary for Self-realisation?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Renunciation and realisation are the same. They are different aspects of the same state. Giving up the non-self is renunciation. Inhering in the Self is Jnana (Knowledge) or Self-realisation. One is the negative and the other the positive aspect of the same, single truth. Bhakti (Devotion), Jnana (Knowledge), Yoga --are different names for Self-realisation or Mukti (Liberation) which is our real nature. These appear as the means first. They eventually are the Goal. So long as there is conscious effort required on our part to keep up bhakti (devotion), yoga, dhyana (meditation), etc., they are the means. When they go on without any effort on our part, we have attained the Goal. There is no realisation to be achieved. The Real is ever as It Is. What we have done is, we have realised the unreal, i.e., taken for real the unreal. We have to give up that. That is all that is wanted.

Visitor: How has the unreal come? Can the unreal spring from the Real?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: See if it has sprung. There is no such thing as the unreal, from another standpoint. The Self alone exists. When you try to trace the ego, based on which alone the world and all exist, you find the ego does not exist at all and so also all this creation.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: January 27, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Self-enquiry is really possible only through intense introversion of the mind. What is finally realised as a result of such enquiry into the Source of aham-vritti ('I'-ness or 'I Am'-ness), is verily the Heart as the Undifferentiated Light of Pure Consciousness, into which the reflected light of the mind is completely absorbed.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »
Sri Bhagavan says:
Silence [mauna] is the form [literally, state] of Grace, the one [single, non-dual, unequalled and incomparable] language which is [always] surging within.

If it be asked, "[What is] the [true] divine language, which is the source of all languages, which is real and which possesses the greatest clarity?" That language is only Silence [mauna], which the Lord [Sri Dakshinamurti] who is the embodiment of knowledge [Jnana-swarupa] seated at the foot of the banyan tree, taught.
G.V.K.

Since that great Brahman, which cannot be revealed even by countless commentaries, is revealed only by the Silence of the Guru, who is rare to attain, know that the commentary of that Silence alone is the best commentary.
G.V.K.

Devotee: What is Mauna (Silence)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: That state which transcends speech and thought is Mauna (Silence); it is meditation without mental activity. Subjugation of the mind is meditation; deep meditation is eternal speech. Silence is ever-speaking; it is the perennial flow of 'language'. It is interrupted by speaking; for words obstruct this mute 'language'.

Lectures may entertain individuals for hours without improving them. Silence, on the other hand, is permanent and benefits the whole of humanity. . . .. . By silence, eloquence is meant. Oral lectures are not so eloquent as silence. Silence is unceasing eloquence. . . . It is the best language. There is a state when words cease and silence prevails.

Devotee: How then can we communicate our thoughts to one another?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: That becomes necessary if the sense of duality exists....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:49:27 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: January 28, 2019, 08:37:56 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Now you say you were unconscious in sleep and self-conscious in the wakeful state. Which is the Reality? The Reality must be continuous and eternal. Neither the unconsciousness nor the self-consciousness of the present is the Reality. But you admit your existence all through. The pure Being is the reality. The others are mere associations. The pure Being cannot be otherwise than consciousness. Otherwise you cannot say that you exist. Therefore consciousness is the reality. When that consciousness is associated with upadhis (adjuncts) you speak of self-consciousness, unconsciousness, sub-consciousness, super-consciousness, human -consciousness, dog-consciousness, tree-consciousness and so on. The unaltering common factor in all of them is consciousness. Therefore the stone is as much unconscious as you are in sleep. Is that totally devoid of consciousness?

Devotee: But a dog-consciousness is different from my consciousness. I cannot read the Bible to the dog. The tree again does not move whereas I move and act.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Call the tree a standing man; and call the man a moving tree.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: January 28, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
A young sadhu (a renunciate) from North India: I want to know who I am. The Arya Samajists say that I am the jivatma (individual soul) and that if I purify the mind and buddhi (intellect) I can see God. I don't know what to do. If Bhagavan thinks fit, will Bhagavan please tell me what to do?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: You have used a number of terms. What do you mean by jivatma (individual soul), mind, buddhi (intellect) and God? And where is God and where are you that you should want to go and see God?

Sadhu: I don?t know what all these terms mean.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: Then never mind what the Arya Samajists tell you. You don't know about God and other things, but you do know that you exist. You can have no doubt about that. So find out who you are.

Sadhu: That is what I want to know. How can I find out?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: Keep all other thoughts away and try to find out in what place in your body the 'I' arises.

Sadhu: But I am unable to think about this.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: Why? If you can think about other things you can think about 'I' and where in your body it arises. If you mean that other thoughts distract you, the only way is to draw your mind back each time it strays and fix it on the 'I'. As each thought arises, ask yourself: 'To whom is this thought?' The answer will be, 'to me'; then hold on to that 'me'.

To continue in the next post
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:12:49 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: January 28, 2019, 12:20:39 PM »
A Sadhu from North India: Am I to keep on repeating 'Who am I?' so as to make a mantra of it?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: No. 'Who am I?' is not a mantra. It means that you must find out where in you arises the I-thought which is the source of all other thoughts. But if you find this vichara marga (Path of Enquiry) too hard for you, you can go on repeating 'I, I' and that will lead you to the same goal. There is no harm in using 'I' as a mantra. It is the first name of God. God is everywhere, but it is difficult to conceive Him in that aspect, so the books have said, ?God is everywhere. He is also within you. You are Brahman.? So remind yourself: 'I am Brahman'. The repetition of 'I' will eventually lead you to realise 'I am Brahman'.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:22:27 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #5721 on: January 29, 2019, 07:43:41 AM »
is this a book or a movie ?
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: January 29, 2019, 08:57:10 AM »
Quote: "is this a book or a movie?"

"Who is the thinker who thinks thus?" Enquire 'for whom this agitation?', and Be. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: January 29, 2019, 08:58:36 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Again people often ask how the mind is controlled. I say to them, "Show me the mind and then you will know what to do." The fact is that the mind is only a bundle of thoughts. How can you extinguish it by the thought of doing so or by a desire? Your thoughts and desires are part and parcel of the mind. The mind is simply fattened by new thoughts rising up. Therefore it is foolish to attempt to kill the mind by means of the mind. The only way of doing it is to find its source and hold on to it. The mind will then fade away of its own accord. Yoga teaches chitta vritti nirodha (control of the activities of the mind). But I say Atma vichara (Self-investigation). This is the practical way. Chitta vritti nirodha (control of the activities of the mind) is brought about in sleep, swoon or by starvation. As soon as the cause is withdrawn there is recrudescence of thoughts. Of what use is it then? In the state of stupor there is peace and no misery. But misery recurs when the stupor is removed. So nirodha (control) is useless and cannot be of lasting benefit.

How then can the benefit be made lasting? It is by finding the cause of misery. Misery is due to objects. If they are not there, there will be no contingent thoughts and so misery is wiped off. "How will objects cease to be?" is the next question. The shrutis (ancient religious texts) and the Sages say that the objects are only mental creations. They have no substantive being. Investigate the matter and ascertain the truth of the statement. The result will be the conclusion that the objective world is in the subjective consciousness. The Self is thus the only Reality which permeates and also envelops the world. Since there is no duality, no thoughts will arise to disturb your peace. This is Realisation of the Self. The Self is eternal and so also its Realisation.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: January 29, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om: Just as the snake is nothing other than a rope, the ego is nothing other than our real nature. Therefore to see our real nature we just have to look at the ego very carefully. So long as we mistake ourself to be the ego, we need to investigate it, but our aim is not to know the ego but only to know what we actually are. If we clearly understand the oneness of the ego and our real nature, we will understand that looking at the ego is nothing other than looking at our real nature.

However, if someone is unable to doubt the reality of their jiva-bhava or sense of individuality, the false awareness 'I am this body', they will not be able to understand even at an intellectual level that what seems to be the ego is nothing other than their real nature. For such people it is necessary to say that the 'I' that should be investigated is only the ego, because they believe the real 'I' is something other than that , whereas for those who can understand that ego is just a false appearance , like an illusory snake, it will be clear that there is actually no difference between investigating the ego and investigating one's real nature. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: January 30, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi:

"Moreover, what is life? Life is Existence which is your Self. That is Life Eternal. Otherwise can you imagine a time when you are not? That Life is now conditioned by the body and you wrongly identify your being with that of the body. You are Life Unconditioned. These bodies attach themselves to you as mental projections and you are now afflicted by 'I-am-the-body' idea. If this idea ceases you are your Self."

"How does the desire arise? Because the present state is unbearable. Why? Because it is not your true nature. Had it been your real nature no desire would disturb you. How does the present state differ from your real nature? You are Spirit in truth. However that Spirit is wrongly identifying itself with the gross body. The body has been projected by the mind; the mind itself has originated from the Spirit. If the wrong identification ceases, there will be Peace and permanent untellable Bliss."

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: January 30, 2019, 11:51:08 AM »
Devotee: Sri Bhagavan says that the state of Realisation is freedom from the tyranny of thoughts. Have not the thoughts got a place in the scheme of things - maybe on a lower plane?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: The thoughts arise from the 'I-thought' which in its turn arises from the Self. Therefore the Self manifests as 'I' and other thoughts. What does it matter if there are thoughts or no thoughts?

Devotee: Are good thoughts helpful for Realisation? Are they not authentic via media, a lower rung of the ladder, to Realisation?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes - this way. They keep off bad thoughts. They must themselves disappear before the state of Realisation.

Devotee: But are not creative thoughts an aspect of Realisation and therefore helpful?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Helpful only in the way said before. They must all disappear in the Self. Thoughts, good or bad, take you farther and not nearer, because the Self is more intimate than thoughts. You are Self, whereas the thoughts are alien to the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: January 30, 2019, 12:07:18 PM »
Devotee: How to know the 'I'?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: The 'I-I' is always there. There is no knowing it. It is not a new knowledge acquired. What is new and not here and now will be evanescent only. The 'I' is always there. There is obstruction to its knowledge and it is called ignorance. Remove the ignorance and knowledge shines forth. In fact this ignorance or even knowledge is not for Atman. They are only overgrowths to be cleared off. That is why Atman is said to be beyond knowledge and ignorance. It remains as it naturally is - that is all.

Devotee: There is no perceptible progress in spite of our attempts.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Progress can be spoken of in things to be obtained afresh. Whereas here it is the removal of ignorance and not acquisition of knowledge. What kind of progress can be expected in the quest for the Self?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:08:57 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: February 01, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »
Devotee: How is all-immanent God said to reside in the Heart?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Do we not reside in one place? Do you not say that you are in your body? Similarly, God is said to reside in the Heart-lotus. The Heart-lotus is not a place. Some name is mentioned as the place of God because we think we are in the body. This kind of instruction is meant for those who can appreciate only relative knowledge.

Being immanent everywhere there is no particular place for God. Because we think we are in the body we also believe that we are born. However we do not think of the body, of God, or of method of realisation in our deep slumber. Yet in our waking state we hold on to the body and think we are in it. The Supreme Being is that from which the body is born, in which it lives and into which it resolves. We however think that we reside within the body. Hence such instruction is given. The instruction means: 'Look within'.
.................................................................................

Sri Bhagwan: The whole cosmos is contained in one pinhole in the Heart. These passions are part of the cosmos. They are avidya (ignorance).

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: February 02, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The 'I-thought' (ego) is like a spirit which, although not palpable, rises up simultaneously with the body, flourishes and disappears with it. The body-consciousness is the wrong ?I?. Give up this body-consciousness. It is done by seeking the source 'I'. The body does not say 'I am'. It is you who say, 'I am the body!' Find out who this 'I' is. Seeking its source it will vanish.

Devotee: Then, will there be bliss?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Bliss is coeval with Being-Consciousness. All the arguments relating to the eternal Being of that Bliss apply to Bliss also. Your nature is Bliss. Ignorance is now hiding that Bliss. Remove the ignorance for Bliss to be freed.

Devotee: Should we not find out the ultimate reality of the world, individual and God?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: These are all conceptions of the 'I'. They arise only after the advent of the 'I-thought' (ego). Did you think of them in your deep sleep? You existed in deep sleep and the same you are now speaking. If they be real should they not be in your sleep also? They are only dependent upon the 'I-thought' (ego). Again does the world tell you 'I am the world'? Does the body say 'I am body'? You say, 'This is the world', 'this is body' and so on. So these are only your conceptions. Find out who you are and there will be an end of all your doubts.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:59:28 AM by eranilkumarsinha »