Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1097567 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5670 on: January 10, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
Devotee: What is meant by saying that one should enquire into one's true nature and understand it?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Experiences such as, "I went; I came; I was; I did" come naturally to everyone. From these experiences, does it not appear that the consciousness 'I' is the subject of those various acts? Enquiry into the true nature of that consciousness, and remaining as oneself is the way to understand, through enquiry, one's true nature.

Devotee: How is one to enquire "Who am I?"

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Actions such as 'going' and 'coming' belong only to the body. And so, when one says, 'I went, I came', it amounts to saying that the body is 'I'. But, can the body be said to be the consciousness 'I', since the body was not before it was born, is made up of the five elements, is nonexistent in the state of deep sleep, and becomes a corpse when dead? Can this body which is inert like a log of wood be said to shine as 'I-I'? Therefore, the 'I-consciousness' which at first arises in respect of the body is referred to variously as self-conceit (tarbodham), egoity (ahankara), nescience (avidya), maya, impurity (mala), and individual soul (jiva). Can we remain without enquiring into this? Is it not for our redemption through enquiry that all the scriptures declare that the destruction of 'self-conceit' is release (mukti)? Therefore, making the corpse-body remain as a corpse, and not even uttering the word 'I', one should enquire keenly thus: "Now, what is it that rises as 'I'?" Then, there would shine in the Heart a kind of wordless illumination of the form 'I-I'. That is, there would shine of its own accord the pure consciousness which is unlimited and one, the limited and the many thoughts having disappeared. If one remains quiescent without abandoning that (experience), the egoity, the individual sense, of the form 'I am the body' will be totally destroyed, and at the end the final thought, viz., the 'I-form' also will be quenched like the fire that burns camphor. The great sages and scriptures declare that this alone is release.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:08:02 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: January 10, 2019, 09:31:45 AM »
Question: What is the best way of killing the ego?
Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi: To each person that way is the best which appears easiest or appeals most. All the ways are equally good, as they lead to the same goal, which is the merging of the ego in the Self. What the bhakta (devotee of God) calls surrender, the man who does vichara  (Enquiry) calls jnana (Knowledge). Both are trying only to take the ego back to the source from which it sprang and make it merge there.

What follow are a few beautiful verses from Sri Muruganar's Padamalai:

Unless you annihilate it completely, in such a way that it ceases to exist, you will not be able, in however small a measure, to experience the bliss of peace.
V. 68, Padamalai

While it is alive, the ego is death; the death of the ego is life. This riddle is indeed difficult to understand.
V. 69, Padamali

The ego that has subsided and died in the Heart will attain the greatness of the Self and surge like a great ocean.
V. 70, Padamalai

When the ego is destroyed, the truth of the Self will shine undivided, extending to the farthest extremities of the four quarters [of the universe].
V. 71, Padamalai

Why abuse God instead of killing the misery-inducing ego, which is ignorant pride?
V. 72, Padamalai

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: January 10, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Self is not to be attained because you are the Self.

Devotee: Yes. There is an unchanging Self and a changing one in me. There are two selves.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The changefulness is mere thought. All thoughts arise after the arising of the 'I-thought'. See to whom the thoughts arise. Then you transcend them and they subside. This is to say, tracing the source of the 'I-thought', you realise the perfect 'I-I'. 'I' is the name of the Self.

Until you subjugate, root out and destroy that enemy, all manner of blame and sin will accrue to you. [V. 54, Padamalai]

As long as that ego exists, innumerable obstacles will arise in succession, like winged white ants streaming out of an ant hill. [V.55, Padamalai]

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:35:44 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:43 AM »
Devotee: Can everybody see God?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Yes.

Devotee: Can I see God?

Bhagwasn Sri Ramana: Yes.

Devotee: Who is my guide to see God? Do I not need a guide?

Sri Bhagwan Ramana: Who was your guide to Ramanasramam? With whose guidance do you see the world daily? God is your own Self beyond body, mind and intellect. Just as you are able to see the world yourself so also you will be able to see your Self if you earnestly strive to do so, your Self alone being your guide in that quest also.

Devotee: Whenever I worship God with name and form, I feel tempted to ask whether I am not wrong in doing so, as that would be limiting the Limitless, giving form to the Formless. At the same time I feel I am not constant in my adherence to worship of God without form.

Sri Bhagwan Ramana: As long as you respond to a name what objection could there be to your worshipping a God with name or form? Worship God with or without form till you know who you are.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: January 11, 2019, 09:45:47 AM »
Devotee: I request you to bless me with your Grace. The Maharshi remains silent for a while, showing that His very silent Presence, in perpetual (i.e., Sahaja) Samadhi, is an ever present help, which it is for the thirsty questioner  to quaff and quench his spiritual thirst with. Then He (Sri Bhagwan) said:

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Go on with your enquiry.

Devotee: How? I don't know how to proceed.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Who doesn't know? You say I and yet you say you don't know I. Can anyone be ignorant of himself? Isn't that ludicrously impossible? If there were something else to be attained or known, then you might feel difficulty in attaining or knowing it. But in the case of the ever present, inescapable I, how can you be ignorant? You have constantly to fight out and get rid of your false notion of I. Do that.

Devotee: In doing so isn't a Guru's help necessary and useful?

Sri Bhagwan Ramana: Yes, to start you on the inquiry. But you must yourself pursue your enquiry.

Devotee: To what extent can I rely on the Guru's Grace, in this? Up to what point is the enquiry itself to be carried on?

Sri Bhagwan Ramana: You must carry on this demolition of wrong idea by enquiry, till your last wrong notion is demolished ? till the Self is realized.

Devotee: How can I help others?

Sri Bhagwan Ramana: Who is there for you to help? Who is the I that is to help others? First clear up that point and then everything will settle itself.

Dear devotees, the import of the Sri Bhagwan's Teaching regarding help to others, in my view, is this that devotees and seekers after truth should  have compassion in their hearts, and willingly help to those who come to them for help and who are really in need of their help. However, travesty of this help is this that 'I' that is to help others seems to know myriad things as objects, that is outside itself, but does not know itself , the subject who wants to help. Therefore, indeed, devotees and seekers after truth must endeavour to clear this point first as exhorted by Sri Bhagwan (above).

Anil
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:47:34 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: January 11, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
Question: Why should I try to realize? I will emerge from this state, as I wake up from a dream. We do not make an attempt to get out of a dream during sleep.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: In a dream, you have no inkling that it is a dream and so you don't have the duty of trying to get out of it by your effort. But in this life you have some intuition, by your sleep experience, by reading and hearing, that this life is something like a dream, and hence the duty is cast on you to make an effort and get out of it. However, who wants you to realize the Self, if you don't want it? If you prefer to be in the dream, stay as you are.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: January 12, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »
A Muslim visitor put some questions to Bhagwan Sri Ramana and obtained answers, which are as following:

Question: This body dies. But there is another imperishable body. What is it?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: 'Imperishable body' is a contradiction in terms. The term sariram (body) means that which will perish. Of course, there is something imperishable, something which exists even after the body dies.

Question: It is said the Lord's light resides in the eye.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The eye does not see. That which gives light to it is the reality, whether we call it Lord?s light or anything else.

Question: The Lord has created all this, has He not? What was created first? It is said light or sound was created first.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: All these things, which you say have been created have to be seen by you before you say they exist. There must be a seer. If you find out who that seer is, then you will know about creation and which was created first. Of course various theories as to what came into existence first from God are given out. Most, including scientists, agree that all has come from light and sound.

Question: Can we call anything created, like this piece of wood, for example, God? It is said it is very wrong to do so.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Even this piece of wood, does it exist apart from God? Can we confine God to any time or place, since He is everywhere and in everything? We should not see anything as apart from God. That is all.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: January 12, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
Sri G.V. Subbaramayya, one of the old devotees of Bhagwan Sri Ramana who moved closely with Him and on whom Sri Bhagwan showered His Grace munificently, reminisced thus:

"One morning, M.V.Ramaswami Iyer, who was sitting beside me in the Hall, happened to go through my notebook which contained my free verse compositions in English. He was so pleased that he at once showed them to Bhagavan, who read aloud the piece 'I and Thou', and as He reached the last words: 'I without 'me' am Thou. Thou without Thee art I. Indeed I and Thou are one.' He burst into laughter. I casually quoted Tagore's song: 'I run like the musk-deer, mad with my own perfume. I seek what I cannot get, I get what I do not seek.' Bhagavan liked it so much that He explained its meaning to His devotees in Tamil."

I enquired whether Poetry and other Fine Arts could be used as a sadhana (means) for Self-realisation. Bhagavan said, "Anything that makes for concentration of mind is a help. But in the cultivation of every Art, there comes a stage when you feel that you have had enough of it, and you would then transcend it."

When I pointed out that some learned persons consider Rasa (Aesthetic Pleasure) as Brahmananda sahodaram (akin to the Bliss of the Absolute), Bhagavan said, "Why sahodaram  (akin)? It is Brahmananda (Bliss of the Absolute) itself. For have not the Scriptures proclaimed 'raso wai sah' (He is Rasa)? Indeed Brahmananda (Bliss of the Absolute) is the real Rasa. All other rasas are only its shadows."

Anil

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:25:19 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: January 12, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
Devotee: How can I attain Self-realization?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Realization is nothing to be gained afresh, it is already there. All that is necessary is to get rid of the thought 'I have not realised'. Stillness or peace is Realization. There is no moment when the Self is not. So long as there is doubt or the feeling of non-realization, the attempt should be made to rid oneself of these thoughts. They are due to the identification of the Self with the not-Self. When the not-Self disappears, the Self alone remains. To make room, it is enough that the cramping be removed; room is not brought in from elsewhere.

Devotee: Since Realization is not possible without vasanakshaya (destruction of predispositions), how am I to realize that State in which the vasanas (predispositions or latent tendencies) are effectively destroyed?

Sri Bhagwan: You are in that State now!

Devotee: Does it mean that by holding on to the Self, the vasanas (predispositions) should be destroyed as and when they emerge?

Sri Bhagwan: They will themselves be destroyed if you remain as you are.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: January 13, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »
Devotee: We want some practical guidance for Self-Realization.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: (quoting the Bible said) Be still and know that I am God (and added a rider), the Lord said 'know' and not think that 'I am God'.

Devotee: Isn't Self-Realization easy?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes, yes. It seems so at first, but there is difficulty too. You have to overcome your present false values and wrong identification. Therefor the quest requires concentrated effort and steadfast abidance in the Source when this is reached.
But don't let that deter you. The rise of the urge to seek for the 'I' is itself an act of Divine Grace. Once this urge gets hold of you, you are in its clutches. The grip of Divine Grace never relaxes and finally devours you, just as a prey in a tiger's jaws is never allowed to escape.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: January 13, 2019, 09:44:25 AM »
Bhagavan Sri Ramana: That bliss of the Self is always with you, and you will find it for yourself, if you would seek it earnestly. The cause of your misery is not in the life without; it is in you as the ego. You impose limitations on yourself and then make a vain struggle to transcend them. All unhappiness is due to the ego; with it comes all your trouble. What does it avail you to attribute to the happenings in life the cause of misery which is really within you? What happiness can you get from things extraneous to yourself? When you get it, how long will it last?

If you would deny the ego and scorch it by ignoring it, you would be free. If you accept it, it will impose limitations on you and throw you into a vain struggle to transcend them. That was how the thief sought to 'ruin' King Janaka.

To be the Self that you really are is the only means to realize the bliss that is ever yours.

"For the extroverted intellect -- which suffers greatly, knowing through the senses only the objects of form and quality before it -- the means to abide in Self is to begin enquiring inwardly, 'Who am I?'"
Guru Vachaka Kovai

"O miserable and extroverted people, failing to see the seer, you see only the seen! To dissolve duality by turning inwards instead of outwards is alone Blissful."
Guru Vachaka Kovai

Dear devotee, Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that the terms such as 'inward' and 'outward' are valid and can be used only in reference to the body, but since the body is itself a mere imagination, such terms should not be taken literally. The reason for the use of these words is that the aspirant, in his ignorance, feels his body to be ?I?, so on being told to ?turn inwards? he should understand that he should 'turn Selfwards', that is, he should turn his attention towards what he feels as 'I', the feeling of 'I'. For,in truth, Self is neither inside nor outside the body as It alone exists beyond all limitations such as time and space within which 'body', 'inside' or the 'outside', et al, appear and disappear. 

Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:48:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:52 AM »
Devotee: Can I say that God is the Flame and we are the sparks?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi. Although the sparks rise from the flame, they fall away from it into space, whereas we are never outside God.

Devotee: But is there a God apart from ourselves? Naturally there must be a creator to this universe.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana. If by 'ourselves' you mean your body, then there is a creator, but if you mean the pure Self, then there is nothing but It. If you objectify and see a universe, then you are bound to see many things beside yourself and postulate a God, the creator. Body, God and world rise and set together from, and into, the Self. If God is apart from the Self, then He would be Self-less, that is, outside Existence, that is, non-existent.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: January 14, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
Mr. Bose, his mother, Lady C. V. Raman and Swami Sambuddhananda of the Ramakrishna Mission, Bombay, arrived here. Swami Sri Sambuddhananda asked Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi, "I think our Bhagavan has attained Self-realisation. Such beings are walking Upanishads. So I want to hear, from his own lips, his experience of Self-realisation."

Bhagavan Sri Ramana said, "You say you think I have attained Self-realisation. I must know what you mean by Self-realisation. What idea do you have in your mind about it?"

The Swami was not pleased with this counter-question, but added, after some time, "I mean the atman (soul) merging in the paramatman (Universal Soul)."

Bhagavan Sri Ramana then said, "We do not know about the paramatman or the Universal Soul, etc. We know we exist. Nobody doubts he exists, though he may doubt the existence of God. So, if one finds out about the truth or source of oneself, that is all that is required."

The Swami thereupon said, "Bhagavan therefore says 'Know Thyself'."

Bhagavan Sri Ramana said, "Even that is not correct. For, if we talk of knowing the Self, there must be two Selves, one a knowing Self, another the Self which is known, and the process of knowing. The state we call realisation is simply being oneself, not knowing anything or becoming anything. If one has realised, he is that which alone is and which alone has always been. He cannot describe that state. He can only be that. Of course, we loosely talk of Self-realisation, for want of a better term. How to 'real-ise' or make real that which alone is real? What we are all doing is, we 'realised' or regard as real that which is unreal. This habit of ours has to be given up. All sadhana (spiritual practices) under all systems of thought is meant only for this end. When we give up regarding the unreal as real, then the reality alone will remain and we will be That."

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:33:04 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: January 15, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
Devotee: I suppose one has to sublimate the ego-self into the true Self.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi. The ego-self does not exist at all.

Devotee: Then why does it give so much trouble? Look at the havoc it has created among nations and people. It is dreadful even to oneself.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana. To whom is the trouble? The trouble also is imagined. Pain and pleasure are to the ego, which is itself imagined. When the ego disappears through constant enquiry into its nature, the illusion of pleasure and pain also disappears, and the Self, their Source, alone remains. There is neither ego nor ignorance in Reality.

Devotee: But how did the ego arise?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana. Ego is non-existent, otherwise you would be two instead of one - you the ego and you the Self. You are a Single, Indivisible Whole. Enquire into yourself, and the apparent ego and ignorance will disappear.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: January 15, 2019, 08:50:07 AM »
Sri Robert Adams:

In April 1950, I was in Bangalore to see Papa Ram Dass. When informed that Ramana has left his body, I went to Tiruvannamalai. The crowds had already started to come, thousands and thousands of people. So l climbed the hill and went into one of the caves, and stayed there for five days. When I came down the crowd had dispersed. He had already been interred. I enquired of his devotee who saw him last, "What were the last words he spoke?" He said, "While he was leaving the body, a peacock flew on top of a wall and started screeching. Ramana asked his attendant, 'Has anyone fed the peacock yet?' Those were his last words."

I have been to many teachers, many saints and many sages. I was with Nisargadatta, Anand Mayi Ma, Papa Ram Dass, Neem Karoli Baba and many others, but never did I meet anyone who exuded such compassion, such love, such bliss as Ramana Maharshi.

A sample from Sri Robert Adam's poems:

Who am I?

Feel your reality,
in the stillness,
in the quietness,
where there is no mind,
no thought, no words,
who are You then?
You just are.
I AM I AM.
I am not this
I am not that.