Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1112875 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5550 on: November 23, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »
Quote from Sri Beloved Abstract:
"if self inquiry is enough , why do you go on and on with your dialogue here ?"

Dear Sri Beloved Abstract, yes, this is a beautiful question. Well, I do also ask, "Why do you go on and on yourself?"

Well, I go because I love talking about, dwelling on, and abiding in Sri Bhagwan Ramana who is the Inner Self, and His Teaching , which showed me the direct and straight way to Him. That is, only for the love of it all, no desire, no intention to gain anything from this, but only and only to realize His Grace and flower in His Presence.

Thank you.
Pranam,
 Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: November 24, 2018, 09:08:27 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The Holy Hill Sri Arunachala is identified with the spiritual Heart of creation of God, and is regarded as the Original Maha Lingam  and Mool Jyotirlingam. The Holy Hill is also regarded as the Ardhnarishwar  because the Goddess Mother Parvati is said to have united with Him here in Sri Arunachala.  The Hill appeared to the Gods, Brahma and Vishnu as a great, blazing column of Fire. They wondered what it could be and started in competition with each other to find out its Source. Brahma flew up as a swan and Vishnu started to burrow down in the form of a boar. But the search was endless. Vishnu came up again admitting his defeat. On his way Brahma caught a flower that was falling and taking it down to Vishnu pretended that he had reached the top and had there picked this flower. Suddenly Lord Siva, who had taken the form of the column of fire, appeared to them. He condemned Brahma for his deceit and said that as a punishment he should have no temple dedicated to his honour. As a reward for his honesty Vishnu was told that he should receive universal worship.

Dear devotees, striving to reach the end of the column of Fire signifies the search in the Heart for the realization of the Self and all the difficulties that entailed.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana said in explanation that the 'I'-sense was Vishnu and the intellect Brahma, they both turned outward and that is where they erred.

The Significance of the Beacon

Sri Bhagavan  Ramana  has sung extolling the greatness of Sri Arunachala and the Beacon of Light of Sri Arunachala thus:

To make the intellect rid of the sense
'I am the body', and to introspect
By fixing it securely in the Heart,
And so perceive the true light of the SELF,
The one 'I-I', which is the ABSOLUTE,
This the significance of witnessing
The Beacon Light of Arunachala,
The centre of the earth.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana has declared Sri Arunachala as the spiritual Centre and the Self of all existence whatsoever. 

Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 09:11:54 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: November 25, 2018, 09:23:20 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:
"It is possible to perform all the activities of life with detachment and regard only the Self as real. It is wrong to suppose that if one is fixed in the Self one?s duties in life will not be properly performed. It is like an actor. He dresses and acts and even feels the part he is playing, but he knows really that he is not that character but someone else in real life. In the same way, why should the body-consciousness or the feeling 'I-am-the-body' disturb you
once you know for certain that you are not the body but the Self? Nothing that the body does should shake you from abidance in the Self. Such abidance will never interfere with the proper and effective discharge of whatever duties the body has, any more than the actor's
being aware of his real status in life interferes with his acting a part on the stage."

Dear devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has explained on numerous occasions that it is not the work done that is an impediment to the spiritual practice (Sadhana) but only the attitude of mind in which the work is done. It is quite possible to continue one's normal chores and vocation without attachment. He has taught that the feeling 'I work' alone is the obstacle.

Bhawan Sri Ramana:
 "The feeling 'I work' is the obstacle, ask yourself who works. Remember who you are. Then the work will not bind you. It will go on automatically."

Dear devotees, Sri Arthur Osborne who moved with Sri Bhagwan closely and intimately has observed thus:

"Many were puzzled at first by the injunction to work with detachment and wondered whether their work really could be carried on efficiently in such a way. And yet they had before them the example of Sri Bhagavan himself, for whatever he did was meticulously accurate, whether correcting proofs or binding a book, whether preparing food or cutting and polishing a coconut-shell spoon. And in fact, even before the I-am-the-doer illusion has been dissipated, an aloof attitude to work does not impair but enhance efficiency, so long as it is combined with conscientiousness, for it does not imply indifference to the quality of the work done but only non-intrusion of ego into it; and it is the intrusion of ego that causes both friction and inefficiency. If all people were to perform their work simply because it is their work, without vanity or self-interest, exploitation would cease, effort would be rightly directed, co-ordination would replace rivalry, and most of the world?s problems would be solved. That the efficiency of the work done would not suffer is apparent if one remembers that the ages of faith in every religion have produced the most exquisite art, whether in Gothic, cathedral or in mosque, whether Hindu sculpture or Taoist painting, by artists who regarded themselves as instruments and preferred to remain anonymous. Examples can be drawn from other professions also. A doctor works more efficiently when he is unemotional and indeed, for this reason, often prefers not to treat his own family. A financier works more coolly and efficiently where his own interests are not at stake. Even in games, fortune favours one who is unconcerned."

Anil
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:26:37 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: November 25, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
The Guru may tell his disciples a thousand times, "You are the Self, you are not what you imagine yourself to be", but none of them ever believes him. They all keep asking the Guru for methods and routes to reach the place where they already are.
Sri Annamalai Swami

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 01:14:37 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: November 26, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
This afternoon, a visitor asked Bhagavan, "No doubt the method taught by Bhagavan is direct. But it is so difficult. We do not know how to begin it. If we go on asking, 'Who am I?' 'Who am I?' like a japa, with 'Who am I?' for mantra, it becomes dull. In other methods, there is something preliminary and positive with which one can begin and then go step by step. But in Bhagavan's method, there is no such thing, and to seek the Self at once, though direct, is difficult."

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: You yourself concede, it is the direct method. It is the direct and easy method. When going after other things, alien to us, is so easy, how can it be difficult for one to go to one's own Self? You talk of 'Where to begin'. There is no beginning and no end. You are yourself the beginning and the end. If you are here and the Self somewhere else, and you have to reach that Self, you may be told how to start, how to travel and then how to reach. Suppose you who are now in Ramana Asramam ask, 'I want to go to Ramana Asramam. How shall I start and how to reach it?', what is one to say? A man's search for the Self is like that. He is always the Self and nothing else. You say 'Who am I?' becomes a japa. It is not meant that you should go on asking ?Who am I?? In that case, thought will not so easily die. All japas are intended, by the use of one thought, the mantra, to exclude all other thoughts. This, japa eventually does for a man. All other thoughts, except the thought of the mantra, gradually die and then even that one thought dies. Our Self is of the nature of japa. Japa is always going on there. If we give up all thoughts, we shall find japa is always there without any effort on our part. In the direct method, as you call it, by saying ask yourself 'Who am I?' you are told to concentrate within yourself where the I-thought (the root of all other thoughts) arises. As the Self is not outside but inside you, you are asked to dive within, instead of going without, and what can be more easy than going to yourself? But the fact remains that to some this method will seem difficult and will not appeal. That is why so many different methods have been taught. Each of them will appeal to some as the best and easiest. That is according to their pakva or fitness. But to some, nothing except the vichara marga will appeal. They will ask, 'You want me to know or to see this or that. But who is the knower, the seer?' Whatever other method may be chosen, there will be always a doer. That cannot be escaped. Who is that doer must be found out. Till that, the sadhana cannot be ended. So eventually, all must come to find out 'Who am I?'. You complain that there is nothing preliminary or positive to start with. You have the 'I' to start with. You know you exist always, whereas the body does not exist always, e.g., in sleep. Sleep reveals that you exist even without a body. We identify the 'I' with a body, we regard the Self as having a body, and as having limits, and hence all our trouble. All that we have to do is to give up identifying our Self with the body, with forms and limits, and then we shall know ourselves as the Self that we always are.
Source: Day by Day With Bhagavan

Dear Devotees,

Whatever the spiritual practice, it must culminate in the disappearance of the 'I'-thought or the knower or the seer or the doer. Only then the sadhana or the practice can be ended. And this disappearance of that which does not exist results in the shining forth of the effulgent Self of Its own accord because identification with the illusory name and form alone is the obstacle to the Self-Realization. Therefore, indeed, eventually finding the answer to the existential question 'Who am I?' alone is the attainment of the Goal irrespective of the methods chosen.
Whether one accepts it or not, 'Who Am I?' enquiry is the only spiritual practice in which a devotee or a seeker has not only something preliminary but he has his own permanent and self-evident experience 'I exist' to start with , for can anything be more positive and more self-evident (pratyaksha) than 'I am'?

Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:33:10 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: November 26, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
The Guru may tell his disciples a thousand times, "You are the Self, you are not what you imagine yourself to be", but none of them ever believes him. They all keep asking the Guru for methods and routes to reach the place where they already are.
Sri Annamalai Swami

That's because mostly people are identified with their body and mind and ask solutions that involves keeping the body and mind identity intact .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: November 27, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

YOU ARE THE LIGHT
If we close our eyes and turn our attention outwards, there is darkness. Any effort to turn outwards is the mind's doing. But if our attention is turned inwards, there is light. This inward look with closed eyes is a spiritual exercise that is not dictated by the mind. As such, the mind can neither register it nor know it. That is the reason why many do not notice this natural, yet immense spiritual phenomenon, which is available to all of us at all times.
The Vedas, the Hindu sacred scriptures, adore the Self within each one of us, as more brilliant than millions of suns.Sages confirm and affirm this truth. Man's mind refuses to believe it, for it is not graspable by its tongs-the intellect, and the sensations received through the five senses. Sat sangh helps us to ignore our mind and its dictates. It helps us to turn eagerly to the scriptures and their living symbols, the sages and saints, for light on wisdom.
Bhagavan Sri Ramana, the greatest sage who lived in our midst till very recently, conforming to the scriptures, says, "Pure light is consciousness. The subject, the cognizer, functions both as light and objects seen. If the light, i.e., the subject or consciousness is beheld, then, no objects will be seen. Pure light alone will remain."
This light is not a mystery. It is always there within all of us. Bhagavan constantly advised us to turn our attention on this light within, by saying, "Dive within, plunge within". Jesus Christ said, "Be a light unto yourself". You are that light only, the agni of Arunachala, the jnana of Bhagavan. When we close our eyes and look within, there is a glow that comes neither from outside nor from inside. It is the brilliance of the light of the Self.
Since we are not accustomed to it, initially, it will look dim and dull. On prolonged attention to it, the light will glow, and most naturally. This is not a miracle! Practice though, is essential to focus our attention inwards and BE the light. Do not imagine a light. Also, do not ignore seeing the light, assuming it to be one's imagination. We have to be very attentive and inwardly very alert to imbibe this happening. This is a spiritual experience beyond the limits and borders of the intellect and the mind. Though this happening takes place through the mind and intellect, it definitely does not happen because of or by any one of them. This light, unlike a flame, has no form. Just be aware of the luminosity pervading your being. You are the Light.

Dear devotees, we are the Awareness, Pure Consciousness, and that is the only Light or the Life. Indeed, we are the pictures made of the Light. Are we not? But, due to error of perception, we imagine this insentient body to be ourselves. Hence, out of great compassion and solicitude for His devotees, then and now, whoever turned to Him, Bhagwan Sri Ramana constantly exhorted them to dive within and guided them to turn their attention on this Light that they really always are, and realize their true nature as Awareness.

Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:45:17 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: November 27, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »
Quote:
"That's because mostly people are identified with their body and mind and ask solutions that involves keeping the body and mind identity intact."

Dear Sri Atmavichar, yes, you have said it so beautifully! To eat the cake, and have it too! Ego-mind wants to show even the Self-realization as a trophy, as its prized and much sought-after attainment. And this is perhaps one reason why many devotees get stuck in their sadhana and are not able to go deeper and see the Light, as it were. Ego must surrender or disappear for the Self to shine forth.
Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: November 27, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
Every time you say to yourself: "Who am I?" you are moving a step ahead on the spiritual path.
That is all you have to do.
Sri Robert Adams

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: November 28, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
Devotee: Isn't mental invocation better than oral?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Oral incantation consists of sounds. The sounds arise from thoughts, for one must think before one expresses one?s thoughts in words. The thoughts form the mind. Therefore mental invocation is better than oral.

Devotee: Shouldn't we contemplate the invocation and repeat it orally also?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana.: When the invocation becomes mental, where is the need for sound? On becoming mental, it becomes contemplation. Meditation, contemplation and mental invocation are the same. When thoughts cease to be promiscuous and one thought persists to the exclusion of all others, it is said to be contemplation. The object of invocation or meditation is to exclude varied thoughts and confine oneself to one thought. Then that thought too vanishes into its source, which is pure Consciousness or the Self. The mind first engages in invocation and then sinks into its own source. This is certain: worship, incantations and meditation are performed respectively with the body, the voice and the mind and in this they are of ascending order of value. One can regard this eight-fold universe as a manifestation of God; and whatever worship is performed in it is excellent as worship of God. The repetition aloud of His name is better than praise. Better still is its faint murmur. But the best is repetition with the mind --and that is meditation, above referred to. Better than such broken thoughts (meditation) is its steady and continuous flow like the flow of oil or of a perennial stream.

Dear devotees, when one practices 'Who Am I' enquiry, the question should be deeply rooted in him , damp with love, like a new seed buried deep in soft earth and damp with water, to bear fruit soon. Likewise, when incantation becomes gradually deeply rooted in one, oral incantation soon becomes meditation, and when meditation rises higher, the mind merges into the Source, and Japa (Incantation) becomes Ajapa (Unspoken Chant), which Sri Bhagwan has revealed is always going on.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:25:32 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: November 28, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »
Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj: Establish yourself firmly in the awareness of 'I am'. This is the beginning and also the end of all endeavour.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: November 29, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
A young man from Colombo, Ceylon, said to Bhagavan: J. Krishnamurthi teaches the method of effortless and choiceless awareness as distinct from that of deliberate concentration. Would Sri Bhagavan be pleased to explain how best to practise meditation and what form the object of meditation should take?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana.: Effortless and choiceless awareness is our real nature. If we can attain that state and abide in it, that is all right. But one cannot reach it without effort, the effort of deliberate meditation. All the age-old vasanas (inherent tendencies) turn the mind outwards to external objects. All such thoughts have to be given up and the mind turned inwards and that, for most people, requires effort. Of course, every teacher and every book tells the aspirant to keep quiet, but it is not easy to do so. That is why all this effort is necessary. Even if we find somebody who has achieved this supreme state of stillness, you may take it that the necessary effort had already been made in a previous life. So effortless and choiceless awareness is attained only after deliberate meditation. That meditation can take whatever form most appeals to you. See what helps you to keep out all other thoughts and adopt that for your meditation.

Dear devotees, regarding the above Teaching, Sri Bhagavan even quoted some verses from the great Tamil poet and saint, Sri Thayumanavar, the gist of which is as follows:

"Bliss will ensue if you keep still, but however much you tell your mind this truth, it will not keep still."

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has thus taught that it is the mind that tells the mind to be still in order for it to attain bliss, but it will not do it. Though all the scriptures have said it and though we hear it daily from the great ones and even all  Gurus say, 'Be Still', yet we are never quiet but stray into the world of Maya (illusion) and sense objects. That is why conscious, deliberate effort is needed to attain that effortless state of stillness. Moreover, dear devotees,  until the supreme state is attained, it is impossible for a man not to make effort.
 Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:21:13 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: November 29, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
The knowledge of this brings you eternally infinite happiness instantly. When you begin to understand who you are, your Divine nature, that you are not the body, you're not the mind, once you understand your Infinite nature, who you really are and there's nothing else, you immediately become instantly happy. For happiness is your very nature. Happiness, the Self, are synonymous. Consciousness, Absolute Reality, Pure Awareness, are all synonymous. There is only One. It has many names, but the One pervades all of space and time. And it is the only existence and you are That. There is no other existence. Awaken to this truth. You are the only One that does exist. And you are Consciousness.
The reason why somebody really is not happy, is because they don't really know yet who they are. That's the only reason. If you really were aware of who you really are, your real nature, happiness would exude from every pore of your body. It's just wonderful. Happiness is. There is really no reason for anyone to be unhappy.
Sri Robert Adams

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: November 30, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
Dear devotees, what follows is a profound but a very interesting conversation with Sri Bhagwan in which noted devotees such as Sri Annamalai Swami, Sri Anantachari and a few other devotees also participated:

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: What is there to attain? A thing remains to be attained if it is not already attained. But here one?s very being is That.
Someone: Why do we not then know it?
Sri Annamalai Swami: I should always try to think I am That.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Why should one think 'I am That'? He is That only. Does a man go on thinking that he is a man?
Sri  Anantachari: The belief 'I am a man' is so deep that we cannot help thinking so.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana : Why should you think 'I am a man'? If you are challenged you may say 'I am a man'. Therefore, the thought - 'I am a man' - is called up when another thought, say 'I am an animal', protrudes itself.
Similarly, the thought I am That is necessary only so long as the other thought I am a man persists.
Devotee: The thought 'I am a man' is so firm that it cannot he got rid of.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Be your true Self. Why should you think 'I am a man'?
Devotee: The thought 'I am a man' is so natural.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Not so. On the other hand, 'I am' is natural. Why do you qualify it with 'a man'?
Devotee: 'I am a man' is so obvious whereas 'I am That' is not understood by us.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You are neither That nor This. The truth is 'I am'. 'I AM that I AM' according to the Bible also. Mere Being is alone natural. To limit it to 'being a man' is uncalled for.
Devotee: (Humorously) If votes be taken the majority will be on my side. (Laughter)
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: I cast my vote also on your side (Laughter). I say also 'I am a man': but I am not limited to the body. It is IN ME. That is the difference.
Someone: The limitation (upadhi) of being a man cannot be got rid of.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: How were you in deep sleep? There was no thought of being a man.
Another Devotee: So, the state of sleep must be brought about even when one is awake.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes. It is jagrat-sushupti.
Bhagavan Sri Ramana continued: Some people even say that while they sleep they are enclosed somewhere in the body. They forget that such an idea did not persist in sleep but rises up only on waking. They bring their waking-state to bear upon their sleep.
The lights went down and all retired.
Source: The Power of the Presence

Dear devotees, remaining as mere 'I AM' alone is freedom. MERE  BEING  ALONE  IS  NATURAL. Any adjunct (upadhi) added to the Pure 'I AM', such as 'I am so and so' or 'I am a man', etc., limits That which is infinite, all pervading and immutable, and is therefore, uncalled for, for it alone causes bondage.  Because all one has to attain is to do away the false and illusory adjuncts (Upadhi) to the pure state of 'I AM',  'Who Am I?' enquiry is the principal means, for these three words with a note of interrogation: "Who....Am.....I...? " are indeed a fire which will burn not only all the adjuncts or upadhis but everything: time, memory, et al. And when there is no time, either past, or future, or present, and when there is no memory, there is no mind either, for Sri Bhagwan has taught that the mind is then transformed into That: 'I  AM  THAT  I AM'.

Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:05:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: November 30, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »
Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj: Surely, the memory of an event cannot pass for the event itself. Nor can the anticipation. There is something exceptional, unique, about the present event, which the previous, or the coming do not have. There is a livingness about it, an actuality; it stands out as if illuminated. There is the 'stamp of reality' on the actual, which the past and the future do not have.
In spite of our knowing that the successive strokes are identical, the present stroke is quite different from the previous one and the next -- as remembered, or expected. A thing focused in the now is with me, for I am ever present; it is my own reality that I impart to the present event.

Dear devotees, therefore, we must come into the present moment, just be, and enjoy the bliss of mere being. Anil