Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 931084 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5385 on: July 07, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »
Dear Devotees,

We say, as a matter of fact, that this world is transitory, ephemeral. But how do we know that the world is transitory? Sri Bhagwan has taught that unless something permanent is held, the transitory nature of the world cannot be understood, cannot be ascertained.  But alas! In the transitory world, that is, in the system of myriad names and forms, there is nothing whatever which is permanent. Isn't it? But we need not worry, for Sri Bhagwan has driven home the truth that we are the Self, and the Self alone is the Eternal Reality, Eternal Existence or Eternal Being. Has He not? And He has also revealed that we cannot deny our own existence, for every one of us knows, for certain, that we exist. Do we not? Therefore, out of great compassion for us, Sri Bhagwan repeatedly draws our attention to It, and instructs tirelessly to rivet our attention on the Eternal Reality, i.e., the Self.

Hence, when we meditate on or think of 'I am', sense our presence and become aware of the accompanying 'stillness', warding off the intruding thoughts, we hold that which is permanent. This is the practice, or sadhana, but even during the practice, the unreal nature of the ego and transitory nature of the world begin to be gradually revealed, and one has the foretaste of ensuing bliss of the Atma-swarupa, beckoning one on and on to the mysterious depth into the Heart till the practice culminates in final Swarupa-Jnana.

Thanks very much,
Pranam,
 Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: July 10, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
Devotee: Should I then consider Sri Bhagwan as talking to me in a waking-dreaming-sleeping state?
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Because your conscious experience is now limited to the duration of the extroversion of the mind, you call the present moment the waking state, whereas all the while your mind has been asleep to the Self, and therefore you are now really fast asleep. 
D: To me sleep is a mere blankness.
Sri Bhagwan: That is so, because your waking state is mere effervescence of the restless mind.
D: What I mean by blankness is that I am hardly aware of anything in my sleep; it is for me the same as non-existence.
Sri Bhagwan: But you did exist during sleep.
D: If I did, I was not aware of it.
Sri Bhagwan: You do mean to say in all seriousness you ceased to exist during your sleep! (Laughing). If you went to sleep as Mr. X, did you get up from it as Mr. Y?
D: I know my identity, perhaps, by an act of memory.
Sri Bhagwan: Granting that, how is it possible unless there is continuity of awareness.
D: But I was unaware of that awareness.
Sri Bhagwan:  No. Who says you are unaware in sleep? It is your mind. But there was no mind in your sleep? Of what value is the testimony of the mind about your existence or experience during sleep? Seeking the testimony of the mind to disprove your existence or awareness during sleep is just like calling your son?s evidence to disprove your birth!

Source: Maharshi's Gospel

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: July 11, 2018, 08:07:04 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Do you remember, I told you once previously that existence and awareness are not two different things but one and the same? Well, if for any reason you feel constrained to admit the fact that you existed in sleep be sure you were also aware of that existence.
What you were really unaware of in sleep is your bodily existence. You are confounding this bodily awareness with the true Awareness of the Self which
is eternal. Prajnana, which is the source of ?I-am?-ness, ever subsists unaffected by the three transitory states of the mind, thus enabling you to retain your identity unimpaired.
Prajnana is also beyond the three states, because it can subsist without them and in spite of them.
It is that Reality that you should seek during your so called waking state by tracing the aham-vritti to its Source. Intense practice in this enquiry will reveal that the mind and its three states are unreal and that you are the eternal, infinite consciousness of Pure
Being, the Self or the Heart.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: July 14, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
Know that reality is so subtle, it cannot be known and realized through the exertions of the jiva's intellect, but only through the grace of God, which manifests when you offer yourself up with love at His Feet.
V. 648, GVK

Do not wander and search, having failed to find the abiding state in spite of receiving tuition in all the arts and sciences, and thoroughly mastering them. The supreme state is to abide wholly as the reality that remains enshrined as the form of love.
V. 649, GVK

Dear devotees, the supreme state cannot be attained by mere exertion of the intellect, but only by being still, without words, in the state of mauna or the silence. Jnana, Bhakti and Yoga must culminate into being still in the State of Silence of the Self. It alone is offering oneself up with love at His Feet. Love for the Self or the Atma-swarupa is the essential cause so that the Grace is added, for Grace is the primary cause which make the realization of the Atma-swarupa happen.
Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: July 15, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »
Quote from Sri Nishtha:
"The quest for Self-Realisation is no doubt a noble cause. But for many aspirants it will, perhaps cruelly, become just another veiling. Unless the quest directly investigates and challenges the 'I', the 'me', that seeks Self-Realisation, then ones efforts paradoxically reinforce the imaginary ego.

Maharshi's vichara does exactly that; investigates and challenges the 'I' that seeks Self-Realisation. Maharshi's Teachings are not for building a better you, nor for manufacturing a new "spiritual" identity. His is an investigation of the very person that thinks they have to undertake sadhana and achieve Self-Realisation.

That said, Maharshi's Teachings are not nihilistic. When identification with the I-thought ends, Self, the non-conceptual pure 'I', remains"

"Q.: Will not my present visit to you bring it (Self-Realisation) about?
M.: What is to be brought about? To whom? Consider; investigate.

M.: If we turn inwards enquiring "Where is this I?" all thoughts (including the I-thought) will come to an end and Self-knowledge will then spontaneously shine forth.

Q.: Grant me that my mind troubles me no more.
M.: Find out whether there is such a thing as mind. If so, what is its form? Does it have a moustache and a beard?

Q.: What should we do to make the mind still?
M.: First let the mind be caught hold of and brought here, then we shall consider ways and means of stilling it."

Dear Sri Nishtha, yes, I wholly agree to what you have insightfully observed. This is a very beautiful post. Thank you. Anil
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:47:03 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: July 15, 2018, 11:48:36 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:
"If the mind, which is the cause of all knowledge and action subsides, the perception of the world will cease. Just as knowledge of the rope, which is the base, will not be obtained unless the knowledge of the snake, the superimposition, goes, so the realization of the Self, which is the base, will not be obtained unless the perception of the world, which is a superimposition, ceases."
'Who Am I?' Essay Version

Dear Devotees,

What is the perception of the world? It is chiefly the feeling of differences, which is alien to the Self or the Atma-swarupa. Is it not? For, realization and the Experience of the Self  is that in which everything whatsoever shines as the Self or the Swarupa. This is the Experience without the experiencer, that is, the Self alone experiences the Self.  Therefore, only merging in the blazing Light of the Self and remaining as One is alone our Natural Life. The Life, in truth, is synonym with the Self, for the Self is the Absolute Awareness and Absolute Existence, which alone is the True Life, and which is the only Life, for every other thing is insentient and is therefore non-Life. The sight of the world and the feeling of differences, being alien to the Swarupa, veils It in the same way as the perception of a snake veils the rope. Therefore, the perception of the world and the feeling of differences are mere appearances imagined within the Self or the Swarupa.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:12:14 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: July 16, 2018, 12:50:27 PM »
Dear Devotees and Seekers,

What is 'Aham', and what is 'aham-vritti? Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that the word 'Aham' Itself is suggestive, for It comprises of the alphabet 'A' and 'HA', which are the first and the last alphabets of the Sanskrit Alphabet, conveying that 'Aham' comprises all there is. That is, 'Aham' signifies Existence Itself.

As for the 'aham-vritti', Sri Bhagwan has revealed that 'I'-ness or the 'I Am'-ness, by usage,  is known as 'aham-vritti'. Though it is known as the 'aham-vritti', He has given a great clue that the 'aham-vritti' is not quite a vritti like the other vrittis of the mind, because unlike the other vrittis which have no essential interrelation, the 'aham-vritti' is essentially related to each and every vritti of the mind. Moreover, without the 'aham-vritti' there can be no other vritti whatever, but the 'aham-vritti' can subsist by itself without depending on any other vritti of the mind. Therefore, we must know that the 'aham-vritti' is fundamentally different from the other vrittis of the mind.

Dear devotees and seekers, where from arises the 'I'-ness or the 'I am'-ness in us? Where else but from the Heart (Heart Am I), Which is the undifferentiated Consciousness of the Pure Being. Therefore, the primary datum of all our experiences, that is, 'I'-ness or the 'I am'-ness arises from the Heart. So long as the 'aham-vritti' has not connected with the other vrittis of the mind after arising from the Heart, that is, by itself, in itself, that is, per se, it is Sudha-Sattva in character.

Sri Bhagwan has revealed that it is in this Sudha-Sattva swarupa, uncontaminated by rajas and tamas, that the 'I' (pure ego) appears to subsist in the Jnani, which is like a burnt rope which retains its form but cannot be used to tie something with it. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil       
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:55:18 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: July 17, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:  Just as water in the pot reflects the enormous sun within the narrow limits of the pot, even so the vasanas or latent tendencies of the mind of the individual, acting as the reflecting medium, catch the all-pervading, infinite light of Consciousness arising from the heart and present in the form of a reflection the phenomenon called the mind. Seeing only this reflection, the ajnani is deluded into the belief that he is a finite being, the jiva. If the mind becomes introverted through enquiry into the source of aham-vritti, the vasanas become extinct, and in the absence of the reflecting medium the phenomenon of reflection, namely, the mind, also disappears being absorbed into the light of the one Reality, the Heart.

This is the sum and substance of all that an aspirant needs to know. What is imperatively required of him is an earnest and one-pointed enquiry into the source of aham-vritti.

Dear Devotees,

His is a firm Assurance, which means a lot to His devotees, that the process of Self-enquiry will itself reveal that the alteration of the three states of the mind, as well as the three states themselves, belong to the world of phenomena which cannot affect, inward enquiry, for the Self-enquiry, He has taught, is possible only through intense introversion of the mind.  What is finally realised as a result of such enquiry into the source of ahamvritti or the 'I'-ness or the 'I Am'-ness, is verily the Heart as the undifferentiated light of Pure Consciousness, into which the reflected light of the mind is completely absorbed, revealing its non-existence or non-being. And when the mind disappears, that is, when the reflected light of the mind is completely absorbed, the world, body, time, space, et al, also disappear, for has anyone seen anyone of these without the mind?

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:55:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: July 18, 2018, 08:35:10 AM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

I would like to share an incident of great significance that took place when I was there. After the speeches, I sat at Robert's feet (Sri Robert Adams). Another person was also there, a John Wilkins, I think, who had been Robert's friend for more than twenty years. Out of the blue, John suddenly asked, "Robert, I want you to tell me: what is the truth and what is untruth? What is reality and unreality? I do not want you to quote from the scriptures or use any philosophical jargon. You must make me experience these right now at your feet."

I was thrilled because I wanted to know how Robert was going to answer these difficult questions. Robert looked happy for some time and then became very serious. He looked at John and asked, "Who are you?" John thought that Robert had forgotten him because of the disease he had. He replied, "I am John Wilkins." Robert gave him the most gracious smile that I have ever seen and said, "I AM is the truth and John Wilkins is the untruth. I AM is the reality and John Wilkins is the unreality." Everyone went into a state of inner stillness. This was not a mere answer; it was a statement that transported everyone into a state of deep silence of the mind.

Source: Ramana Periya Puranam

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:41:21 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: July 18, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
"I AM is the truth and John Wilkins is the untruth. I AM is the reality and John Wilkins is the unreality."

That's it and that is the essence of all the scriptural readings .It is a very simple one but the unconscious patterns of the mind that makes it go outward in order to  find security and peace in outward things or  in case of spiritual practices finding comfort in various mental states makes us move away from the ultimate reality . Thanks for sharing this wonderful incident Anilji .
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:50:34 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: July 18, 2018, 11:25:41 AM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

That, which arises in the physical body as 'I', is the mind. The 'I' feeling arises from the Heart or core of being. By enquiring 'Who am I?' the attention goes within and hence is diverted from thoughts. Perseverance in this practice gives strength to the mind to go to the source and be absorbed in the Self. Following sattvic (pure) principles such as eating simple, nutritious food in moderate quantity, and observing simple rules of good conduct, is most conducive to the development of pure qualities of the mind. This in turn helps one to pursue Self Enquiry without hindrance and without giving room to any form rising in the Self. All vasanas (tendencies) will be dissolved. One should firmly and unceasingly focus on the one Self. One should unswervingly put the teachings of the master into constant practice. Self is bliss. Whenever the mind experiences happiness as in deep sleep, samadhi, or when a desired object is obtained, it is due to the mind relinquishing its desire and being the bliss of the Self. Like a wise man who never leaves the shade, thus avoiding the scorching sun, one should always be absorbed in the Self and not allow the mind to be externalized into activity. The Self, like the sun, is unaffected by any activity of the forms of life it sustains. To keep the mind constantly turned inward and to be thus as the Self, alone is atma vichara, or Self Enquiry. If the mind subsides, all else will subside. To be and to remain in the Self, or one's true nature, alone is liberation or mukti.

Dear devotees, Sri V. Ganesan's understanding and insights are wonderful and profound. Is it not? For, in my view, the above observation is the essence of the Teaching of Sri Bhagwan Ramana's Atma-vichara or the Self-enquiry.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:32:56 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: July 18, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »
Dear Sri Atmavichar, thanks for your beautiful response. However, I wish to say a few words of mine, sometime tomorrow, regarding externalization of the mind which you have elaborated beautifully in your posts. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: July 19, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
Quote fro Sri Atmavichar:
"That's it and that is the essence of all the scriptural readings .It is a very simple one but the unconscious patterns of the mind that makes it go outward in order to find security and peace in outward things or  in case of spiritual practices finding comfort in various mental states makes us move away from the ultimate reality."

Dear Sri Atmavichar,

The unconscious patterns of the mind, you have spoken of, are nothing but the inherited tendencies or predispositions or the vasanas.  So, what distract us from the Ultimate Reality are the habits of the mind , which are but the inherited tendencies or the vasanas. Sri Bhagwan has enjoined that these habits of the mind (vasanas) alone hinder the Realization of the Self.

However, Sri Bhagwan has assured that vasanas or the inherited tendencies can be cast off. How? His Atmavichara is itself capable of obliterating not only the vasanas but removing all the obstacles on the way, and make the Realization of the Self possible. "It is done by concentration on that which is free from vasanas and yet is our core."---and it is the supremely beneficial Enquiry  He kept exhorting, to take it up, with love for Him in the hearts, to all those who could.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Atmavichar.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:11:26 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: July 20, 2018, 08:29:20 AM »
Dear Devotees,

"Everyone is an Avatar of God. 'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you.' Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, Krishna, all are in you. One who knows the Truth sees everyone else as a manifestation of God."
Bhagwan Sri Ramana.

Dear devotees, since the Kingdom of Heaven including all Avataras are within, until we know our own avatara, the knowledge of the other Avataras, such as Sri Krishna, Sri Rama, etc.  is well-nigh impossible. Therefore, let us first know our own avatara, the knowledge of the other avataras will follow.
Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: July 21, 2018, 08:45:07 AM »
'Plunge within', 'go within', 'dive inwards'. These powerful commandments of Bhagavan, have to be necessarily put into practice. To begin this inward journey, we have to first withdraw our attention from that which is seen. Such withdrawal, in toto, is difficult, indeed. Therefore, first train yourself to consciously withdraw your attention from man made things. Initially, this can be easily achieved by paying such withdrawn attention to God made things.

Withdraw yourself from seeing, listening to and indulging in man made things. Instead, let your attention be on God made things like nature - birds, animals, waves, the winds...... This is purely to gain efficiency and fluency in your power to consciously withdraw your attention inwards. Through this practice, withdrawing your attention totally inwards away from both God made and man made things, becomes as natural and effortless as one's own breathing.

This most essential process of withdrawing within is symbolically represented in traditional texts as a tortoise withdrawing its head and limbs when encountering any form of danger. Likewise, as aspiring seekers, we too should withdraw our attention from the real life danger of the world with all its
attractions and distractions.

Source: Drops From the Ocean, Sri V. Ganesan

Dear Devotees,

Yes, Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught unequivocally in 'Who  Am I?' Enquiry that just as the knowledge of the rope which is the substrate will not arise unless the false knowledge of the illusory serpent, superimposed on the substrate of the rope, goes, so also the Realization of the Self which is the Substrate will not be gained unless the belief that the world is realis removed. Therefore, withdrawing attention from the worldly objects and phenomena is essential for realizing the Atma-swarupa. If this withdrawal from what is seen as external to oneself is facilitated by first withdrawing attention from the man made things, and instead let our attention be on the objects and phenomena of the Nature, there is no harm in practicing this and see the gain for oneself.

What is, however, most important, is the Self-attention, that is, attending to the 'I'-consciousness. Self-attention or attending to the 'I'-consciousness is diving within. And attending the 'I'-consciousness with greater and greater intensity and thereby gaining greater and greater clarity is indeed diving deep within.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:48:28 AM by eranilkumarsinha »