Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 846199 times)

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5370 on: December 20, 2017, 04:37:50 PM »
all together now .... all you need is love , all you need is love , love , love is all you need
 :-*
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: December 21, 2017, 11:38:27 AM »
Dear Sri Beloved Abstract, see without the story and you will find that there is love only. Everything is dear because of love for the Self only, said Sri Bhagwan.  All this therefore is for the Self, which is Love in which there is no lover and no beloved. Love alone drives us. Love for the Self and the path of being ensure that one is never swerved away from that Love which is manifested in the feeling of Oneness or Unity or Togetherness. 

Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: December 21, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »
"Since the Scriptures proclaim, 'Thou art That which is called the Supreme', and since That itself always shines as Self, for one to meditate 'I am That and not this (the body and so on)', instead of knowing oneself through the enquiry 'What am I?' and abiding as Self, is indeed due to lack of strength (of mind) !"

V. 32, Ulladhu Narpadu

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, the Scriptures point to the Reality, and establish the identity of the creatures as That.  This is the great significance of the proclamation of the Sastras. Sri Bhagwan has unequivocally taught that the Reality has not been mentioned by the Scriptures to meditate Sivoham or Aham Brahmasmi, but to trace the significance and understand the import of the Sacred Texts.  It is therefore certainly not enough to repeat the bare words or think of them. However, I feel that if one is not able to do 'Who am I?' Enquiry one may take up this practice as an aid as enjoined by Sri Annamalai Swami.

Dear devotees, the things most of us understand without much ado become difficult to be grasped by someone who remains always engaged merely in intellectual gymnastics and at best in enquiry into myriad school of thoughts. How can such a one understand that the the Sruti vakya, 'Aham Brahmasmi', relates to the State of Beatitude and not at all to the mode of mind. Sri Bhagwan says that one cannot become Brahman by continuing to repeat the mantra. It means that Brahman is not elsewhere. It is our own Self.  So, if the Self is found, Brahman is found. It teaches not to attempt to reach Brahman as if it were in some far off place.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:48:03 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: December 21, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
Dear Sri Kishorelr

Quote:
"Can thinking be silent, such as a flower, completely open, letting the beneficial rays of the Sun envelop her and still, when some form of communication is needed, to respond in a natural way with a wholeness of being?"

Yes, contrary to general perception and belief, thinking is not our nature. Now it is difficult to stop thinking and in the state of Realization it is difficult to think a thought.
Since you are aware of the 'wholeness of being', I feel that you must also be aware of the ignorance in the form of egoism which prevents one from responding in a natural way with a wholeness of being as you said. Due to ego alone one is not able to remain in the Beatitude of the 'Fullness of Being', or in the Beatitude of Aham-Brahman. The old tendencies of the mind sprout up thick and strong and form an obstruction to that state of Beatitude. Ego is their root which flourishes in the externalized and differentiating consciousness caused by the forces of vikshepa  and avarana (due to rajas and tamas respectively). Therefore, to ask 'Who Am I?', recognize the ever-present state of being and install the mind firmly in the Heart until these forces are utterly destroyed  is the Way. 

Quote:
"In fact, this is what life asks of us ceaselessly - to respond only when such a response is needed. The rest of the time, the being should be silent and watch in all serenity."

Yes, being is Silence, Aham or 'I' is Silence. However, this understanding should be nurtured carefully and patiently and steadied with further practice till one remains as mere being to be able to respond when needed with the 'Wholeness of Being'.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:35:46 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: December 22, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Why should one be meditating 'I am Brahman?' Only the annihilation of 'I' is Liberation. But it can be gained only by keeping the 'I-I' always in view. So the need for the investigation of the 'I' thought.
Sri Bhagwan: Not to think 'I am Brahman' or 'All is Brahman' is itself jivanmukti.

Dear devotees, if the 'I' is not let go, the 'I'-thought which appears only from time to time still disappears being unreal and illusory, and the intuitive 'I' (I-I), which always remains Self-shining even before It  is manifest becomes manifest.  Then only one understands that there are not two selves but one Supreme Self which pervades and permeates all.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:15:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: December 22, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: The mind is simply fattened by new thoughts rising up. Therefore it is foolish to attempt to kill the mind by means of the mind. The only way of doing it is to find its source and hold on to it. The mind will then fade away of its own accord. Yoga teaches chitta vritti nirodha (control of the activities of the mind). But I say Atma vichara (Self-investigation). This is the practical way.

Dear Devotees,

I wish to remind the 'votaries of dropping off' that the ego or the mind (ego-mind) is  not an entity or non-entity independent of the Self in order that it must be created or destroyed by itself.  It always comes holding only 'us' (the Self), and functions as an instrument of the Self and periodically ceases to function. That is to say, it appears and disappears.  So, who will drop what? Can one get rid of one's shadow? Can ego get rid of itself?  One's shadow can be apprehended by apprehending oneself. This is why Sri Bhagwan compassionately has taught with so much emphasis that the only and only way of doing it to find the Source and hold on to it till the very end.

Therefore, Sri Bhagwan's Teaching of the Atma-vichara is absolutely unambiguous. The ego comes holding only us (the Self), and if we hold ourselves the ego will sure vanish and the Reality will shine forth as (I-I) of Its own accord. Besides, one must understand that ego will submit (drop off or surrender) only when it recognizes the Higher Power within. Then only all the illusory differences, which are like the blueness seen in the sky will disappear.  Hence Sri Bhagwan's Message to the mankind is crystal-clear: Attend to the Centre of yourself with a keen mind to know 'Who Am I?', that is, seek always to stay at the Core Centre of the Enquiry 'Who Am I?', therein lies our salvation.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:25:09 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: December 22, 2017, 02:11:01 PM »
The Self is known to everyone but not clearly. You always exist. The Be-ing is the Self. 'I am' is the name of God. Of all the definitions of God, none is indeed so well put as the Biblical statement 'I AM THAT I AM' in EXODUS (Chap. 3). There are other statements, such as Brahmaivaham, Aham Brahmasmi and Soham. But none is so direct as the name JEHOVAH = I AM. The Absolute Being is what is - It is the Self. It is God. Knowing the Self, God is known. In fact God is none other than the Self. (T-106)

Dear devotees, 'I Am'ness is the clue and 'I Am' is the Realization.  So, 'I Am' is the Self. Sri Bhagwan has taught that pursuing the clue till Realization is Vichara. Vichara is therefore the process  as well as the Goal. 'I AM' is the goal and the final Reality. To hold to it with effort is vichara. When spontaneous and natural it is Realisation. These are Sri Bhagwan's Words of Grace and therefore there can be no doubt about their veracity. However, here comes someone who THINKS that if he pursues the clue ('I Am'ness) his individuality will remain intact and such a one will not be able to get rid of the ego if he practices thus, and yet he claims that he practices Sri Bhagwan's Vichara! What can be said of that? It is simply ridiculous. Is it not?

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 02:16:07 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: March 08, 2018, 03:25:58 AM »

D: The final state of Realization according to Advaita, is said to be the absolute Union with the Divine and according to Visishtadvaita, a qualified union, while Dvaita maintains that there is no union at all. Which of these should be considered the correct view?

M: Why speculate as to what will happen some time in the future? All are agreed that the 'I' exists. To whichever school of thought he may belong, let the
earnest seeker first find out what the 'I' is. Then it will be time enough to know what the final State will be, whether the 'I' will get merged in the Supreme
Being or stand apart from Him. Let us not forestall the conclusion, but keep an open mind.

D: But will not some understanding of the final state be a helpful guide even to the aspirant?

M: No purpose is served in trying to decide now what the final state of Realization will be. It has no intrinsic value.

D: Why so?

M: Because you proceed on a wrong principle. Your ascertainment has to depend on the intellect which shines only by the light it derives from the Self. Is it not presumptuous on the part of the intellect to sit in judgement over that of which it is but a limited manifestation, and from which it derives its little light?
How can the intellect which can never reach the Self be competent to ascertain, and much less decide the nature of the final state of Realization? It is like trying to measure the sunlight at its source by the standard of the light given by a candle. The wax will melt down before the candle comes anywhere near
the sun. Instead of indulging in mere speculation, devote yourself here and now to the search for the Truth that is ever within you.

Maharshi's Gospel

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: March 23, 2018, 03:06:17 PM »
Why are you not posting, Sir?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: March 27, 2018, 03:14:32 PM »
Dear Sri Nishta,

I am not posting because I have no doubt right now as to the understanding of the Great, Radical Teaching of the Vichara, Its practice and Experience obtained or lived. However, I shall certainly respond to any genuine question, which is not merely questioning for the sake of questioning, i.e., I do not enjoy arguments and counter arguments.  Therefore, I wish to respond only if someone genuinely wants to share his/her understanding, and experience, obtained while treading the path.

Dear Sri Nishta, with His Grace always showering on all of us, and on me also, I am visiting Sri Ramanasramam sometime at the end of April or the beginning of June this year. And now, someone should not teach me that Bhawan is everywhere, and therefore, what need is there for me to visit Sri Ramanasramam (in lighter veins)!! Well, may be I shall be able to say something then, after I return from the Ashram. Meanwhile, I wish to remain silent, i.e., I do not intend to indulge in mental and physical activities excessively, or as far as possible and practicable.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Nishta. I hope you will continue to keep posting from the Teaching as you have done so far.
Pranam,
 Anil   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: March 28, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
I am visiting Sri Ramanasramam sometime at the end of April or the beginning of June this year. And now, someone should not teach me that Bhawan is everywhere, and therefore, what need is there for me to visit Sri Ramanasramam (in lighter veins)!! Well, may be I shall be able to say something then, after I return from the Ashram. Meanwhile, I wish to remain silent, i.e., I do not intend to indulge in mental and physical activities excessively, or as far as possible and practicable.

Welcome back Anil . I do appreciate your feelings . You need not justify your visits to SriRamana Ashram ( or in fact any holy places ) to anybody .  In fact our Ancient masters have said that one must not talk too much about our spiritual sadhana , pilgrimage etc to other people just like that .  It is not for some secrecy but just to avoid un-necessary arguments as some people deliberately disturb the minds of those who are planning these sort of pilgrimages . Sharing some genuine concern regarding  weather conditions , food availability , accommodation facilities etc is  fine but questioning one's visit is not right .
Have a spiritually refreshing stay at Sri Ramana Ashram and feel free to share whatever you want .
Om Namo Bhagavete Sri Ramanaya .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: April 02, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
Dear Sri Nishta,

I am not posting because I have no doubt right now as to the understanding of the Great, Radical Teaching of the Vichara, Its practice and Experience obtained or lived.....

Good to hear from you Sir. I enjoy reading your posts, you bring life to the forum. 

I understand what you mean when you say, "I have no doubt right now....", this is a result of mind at Peace, no doubt. And I must agree, there is something profoundly delightful about Vichara.

Your visit to Ramanasramam sounds wonderful! We both know that Self is everywhere, yet still some are drawn to such places. As Atmavichara writes, you need not explain yourself to anyone.

I look forward to reading your posts, should you again feel compelled.

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: April 02, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
Welcome back Anil . I do appreciate your feelings . You need not justify your visits to SriRamana Ashram ( or in fact any holy places ) to anybody .  In fact our Ancient masters have said that one must not talk too much about our spiritual sadhana , pilgrimage etc....

Lovely post. And wise words.