Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756476 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5205 on: November 09, 2017, 04:31:42 AM »

Bhagavan was a very beautiful person; he shone with
a visible light or aura. He had the most delicate hands I
have ever seen with which alone he could express himself,
one might almost say talk. His features were regular and
the wonder of his eyes was famous. His forehead was high
and the dome of his head the highest I have ever seen. As
this in India is known as the dome of Wisdom it was only
natural that it should be so. His body was well formed
and of only medium height, but this was not apparent as
his personality was so dominant that one looked upon
him as tall. He had a great sense of humour and when
talking a smile was never far from his face. He had many
jokes in his repertoire and was a magnificent actor, he
would always dramatise the protagonists of any story he
related.

A Sadhu's Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi
SADHU ARUNACHALA
(Major A. W. Chadwick)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: November 09, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
गुरू बिन ज्ञान न उपजई, गुरू बिन मलई न मोश |
गुरू बिन लाखाई ना सत्य को, गुरू बिन मिटे ना दोष ||
Sri Kabir

Neither Jnana (Knowledge) can be attained without the Guru nor the Salvation. Without the Guru, neither flaws (predispositions) can be got rid of nor Knowledge of Truth can dawn. (trans. by me-anil)   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:56 AM »
Quote:
"Bhagavan was a very beautiful person; he shone with
a visible light or aura. He had the most delicate hands I
have ever seen with which alone he could express himself,
one might almost say talk. His features were regular and
the wonder of his eyes was famous. His forehead was high
and the dome of his head the highest I have ever seen. As
this in India is known as the dome of Wisdom it was only
natural that it should be so. His body was well formed
and of only medium height, but this was not apparent as
his personality was so dominant that one looked upon
him as tall. He had a great sense of humour and when
talking a smile was never far from his face. He had many
jokes in his repertoire and was a magnificent actor, he
would always dramatise the protagonists of any story he
related."

Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes, thanks very much, for your beautiful post. However, I wish to say that I never discerned Sri Bhagwan's physical features so minutely though I am aware from such descriptions as above that even His mortal coil was so beautiful and captivating, to say the least . He is always in my consciousness though it is always His Divine Gaze only, which initiated me.  His all-erasing, divine Gaze is always there, standing before me, driving unceasingly home the truth that neither He is the body nor I, that He is the Consciousness, and so is every thing else, of course, including me.

Dear Sri Jewell, an excerpt from the famous book 'Path of Self-knowledge', written by Sri Arthur Osborne, is quoted, as following:

"He was not yet seventy but looked much more aged. Not careworn, for there was absolutely no sign of care -- He had known none. Just aged and very frail. Why was it that one who had been vigorous and robust, who had known little sickness in life and no grief or care, should have aged so much beyond his years? He that taketh upon himself the sins of the world -- He who alleviates the karma of the devotees -- it was only by himself drinking the poison churned up that Siva could save the world from destruction. Sri Shankara wrote: "Oh Sambhu, Lord of life! Thou bearest also the burden of Thy devotees' temporal life." There were many signs, always inconspicuous, how, even physically, Sri Bhagavan bore the burden. A devotee, Krishnamurthi by name, has related in a Tamil journal issued by Janaki Ammal, a lady devotee, how he went and sat in the hall one day when he had a severe pain in the index finger. He told no one, but to his surprise, he saw Sri Bhagavan hold and rub the same finger on His own hand, and the pain disappeared. Many others have known similar relief."

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:12:25 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: November 09, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:
"The arm was heavy and inflamed and the tumour growing. Occasionally He would admit 'there is pain' but He would never say 'I have pain.' In August a third operation was carried out and the wound treated with radium in the hope of destroying the affected tissues and preventing the return of the tumour. The same afternoon, a few hours after the operation, Sri Bhagavan was so gracious as to sit on the veranda of the dispensary where it had been performed, so that the devotees could file past and have darshan. One could see that He was exhausted but there was no sign of suffering in His face. I had come for the day from Madras, and as I stood before Him the radiance of His smile was such that even exhaustion ceased to be visible. At noon next day He returned to the hall so as not to inconvenience other patients by occupying the dispensary."

"He had immense compassion for those who grieved over the suffering and He sought to appease their grief, not the easy way by removing the suffering and postponing death for a few more years, but the fundamental way by making them realize that the body was not Bhagavan. "They take this body for Bhagavan and attribute suffering to Him. What a pity! They are despondent that Bhagavan is going to leave them and go away -- where can He go, and how?""

Sri Bhagwan: Bhagwan is the perpetual consciousness.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:14:34 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: November 09, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »

Dear devotees, while excerpting from Sri Arthur Osborne's writings, the following beautiful poem of Sri Percy B. Shelly from 'Adonais' came to my mind:

That light whose smile kindles the Universe,
That Beauty in which all things work and move,
That Benediction which the eclipsing curse
Of birth can quench not, that sustaining Love
Which through the web of being blindly wove
By man and beast and earth and air and sea,
Burns bright or dim, as each are mirrors of
The fire for which all thirst; now beams on me
Consuming the last clouds of cold mortality.

Dear devotees, Indeed! for His countless devotees all over the world, the Light of His Smile kindles the universe!!

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: November 09, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
Dear Anil ji,

:)

गुरू बिन ज्ञान न उपजई, गुरू बिन मलई न मोश |
Neither Jnana (Knowledge) can be attained without the Guru nor the Salvation. Without the Guru, neither flaws (predispositions) can be got rid of nor Knowledge of Truth can dawn. (trans. by me-anil)   

what does लाखाई mean here ? :)

Love!
Silence

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: November 09, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
Dear Anil ji,
     :) Did you read Japji sahib of Sikh religion ? That is a fantastic text of Advaita Bhakti !

Love!
Silence

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: November 09, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »
"गुरू बिन ज्ञान न उपजई, गुरू बिन मलई न मोश |
Neither Jnana (Knowledge) can be attained without the Guru nor the Salvation. Without the Guru, neither flaws (predispositions) can be got rid of nor Knowledge of Truth can dawn."

"what does लाखाई mean here ?"

Dear Sri Udai, 'लाखाई' is a colloquial word, which was and is still in vogue in some regions of Hindi-speaking North India. You won't find this word in Hindi Literature. The word 'लाखाई', in the cited Doha above, means 'to know'. So, the line 'गुरू बिन लाखाई ना सत्य को, गुरू बिन मिटे ना दोष' can be translated as:
'Neither Truth can be known nor flaws or predispositions ( दोष) can be got rid of without the Grace of the Guru."

Well, I cite below another Kabir's Doha, which is so dear to me. I suppose you would certainly understand its import.

जब मैं था तब हरी नहीं, अब हरी है मैं नाही |
सब अँधियारा मिट गया, दीपक देखा माही ||
Sri Kabir

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:23:46 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: November 09, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
 Quote:
"Did you read Japji sahib of Sikh religion ? That is a fantastic text of Advaita Bhakti !"

Dear Sri Udai, thanks very much for your recommendation. Now-a-days I do not read much. My reading is confined these days to Sri Bhagwan's own Works and other books on Him and His Teaching, Gospel (Sri Ramamkrishna's) and a few great Tamil Works.
No, I have not read Sri Japji Sahib. I have not even heard his name. However, because you have spoken so highly of him, and even recommended his Text of Advaita Bhakti, which I understand as 'Ananya Bhakti', that is, Bhakti or Love in which there is no other, I would like to go through the same when I feel like it, and when I happen to get it.

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:50:11 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: November 09, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
If we cannot see the Self, what is to be done?

And thus Spake Bhagwan Sri Ramana:

"Strenuous endeavour to know the Self. Develop the antarmukham or introspective attitude. Constantly put before your mind the query 'What am I?' and in time you will be able to see your Self. How can you see your Self? You can see that which you have not seen before. But as to what you are always experiencing, there is no drishti (vision), strictly speaking. By drishti, the removal of the hindrance, viz., the idea that you are not seeing the Self, is meant."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:01:55 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: November 09, 2017, 04:17:52 PM »
Dear Anil ji,
    :) Japji sahib is a song, a chant in sikh religion.
you can listen to this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbftHnxqUfk&t=13s

And the text can be found here :

https://www.allaboutsikhs.com/jupji-sahib/learn-jupji-sahib-onlinemool-mantra-a-pauri-1-2

Its about pure grace of God. with interspersed statements that we cannot grasp him with our intellect and mind.

The reason i pointed out this to you is because you seem to be enjoying sant kabir's sayings [as even i do a lot.]. Guru granth sahib has lot of his sayings ... this is what wiki has to say :
Bhagat Kabir (Gurmukhi: ਭਗਤ ਕਬੀਰ) was a Devotee and Spiritual Poet lived in Uttar Pardesh, India. He was a strict monotheist and follower, probably founder, of Gurmat. In Guru Granth Sahib, There are 227 Padas in 17 ragas and 237 slokas of Kabir.

sample: :) -- to make you more curious

sochai soch n hovee jae sochee lakh vaar ||
By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.

chupai chup n hovee jae laae rehaa liv thaar ||
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.

naanak hukamai jae bujhai th houmai kehai n koe ||2||
O Nanak, one who understands His Command, does not speak in ego. ||2||

[i would replace hukamai with not command but "by his grace" ]

Love!
Silence     
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:22:27 PM by srkudai »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: November 09, 2017, 05:00:39 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes, thanks very much, for your beautiful post. However, I wish to say that I never discerned Sri Bhagwan's physical features so minutely though I am aware from such descriptions as above that even His mortal coil was so beautiful and captivating, to say the least . He is always in my consciousness though it is always His Divine Gaze only, which initiated me.  His all-erasing, divine Gaze is always there, standing before me, driving unceasingly home the truth that neither He is the body nor I, that He is the Consciousness, and so is every thing else, of course, including me.

I do not know why,but this description of Bhagavan i find very,very beautiful. In fact,everything i have read about Bhagavan in that book is so beautiful,so sweet. I just love it.

And sure,ultimately Bhagavan is what else but Consciousness,which is again nothing else but Bhagavan. He indeed bearest the burden of His devotees,to show us that everything here is transient and not lasting,that this world itself is the play of the opposites,that we are not the body,but the Soul  Eternal and Infinite,for He was Love embodied. And this indeed is such act of Love. That body died,but it is so sweet,for on it,this very Consciousness  was manifested so vividly and so strongly. His look of Grace will remain forever,for it is look of Love,look which pulls us to Reality itself,as You beautifully said.

All stones in that place Arunachala are lingams. It is indeed the abode of Lord Siva.
All trees are the wish-granting trees of Indra's heaven. Its rippling waters are the Ganges,
flowing through our Lord's matted locks. The food eaten there is the ambrosia of the Gods.
To go round it in pradakshina is to perform pradakshina of the world.
Words spoken there are holy scripture, and to fall asleep there is to be absorbed in samadhi,
beyond the mind's delusion. Could there be any other place which is its equal?

Arunachala Puranam

Thank You dear friend,

With love,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: November 10, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
जब मैं था तब हरी नहीं, अब हरी है मैं नाही |
सब अँधियारा मिट गया, दीपक देखा माही ||

Sri Kabir

When the mundane 'I' was there, there Hari (God) was not. Now Hari alone Is, and mundane 'I' has disappeared. When I saw the Light (Deepak) within, all darkness vanished and was not seen anymore. (Trans. by me-anil)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:00:19 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: November 10, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
Quote:
"The reason i pointed out this to you is because you seem to be enjoying sant kabir's sayings [as even i do a lot.]. Guru granth sahib has lot of his sayings ... this is what wiki has to say :
Bhagat Kabir (Gurmukhi: ਭਗਤ ਕਬੀਰ) was a Devotee and Spiritual Poet lived in Uttar Pardesh, India. He was a strict monotheist and follower, probably founder, of Gurmat. In Guru Granth Sahib, There are 227 Padas in 17 ragas and 237 slokas of Kabir."

Dear Sri Udai,

Though the great Warrior and the last Sikh Guru Sri Guru Gobind Singh was born in Patna Sahib, and His Birth Place and Takht Harmindar Sahib are located at a distance of just about 10 K.M. from my residence in Patna, I have never read anything of substance on great Sikh Religion. What would you say? Bodhi Tree under which Lord Sri Gautam Budha was enlightened is situated at about just 100 K.M. from my place, but I never visited it, though I planned several times to go to Bodh Gaya. And I do not know much about Bodhism either. However, yes, I am aware that Guru Granth Sahib contains a large number of Sri Kabir's Dohe. Yet, I am not certain whether Sri Kabir Das was the founder of Gurumat or not.

Yes, Sri Kabir's Dohe are very popular in this part of the country, and everyone here keeps reciting them, given an opportunity to do so. These Dohe have been composed using mostly colloquial words in colloquial language and are so cryptic that I hardly understood them before coming to Sri Bhagwan. It is certainly Sri Bhagwan's Grace that I am now not only able to understand and grasp Sri Kabir's immortal Dohe and nectarine Verses of the Gita, but contemplate deeply on them.

Dear friend, Sri Udai, I have downloaded and read Japji by using the link given by you. However, I shall request you to kindly elaborate the following a little more:       

"chupai chup n hovee jae laae rehaa liv thaar ||
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within."

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:59:26 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:51 AM »
Quote:
"And sure, ultimately Bhagavan is what else but Consciousness, which is again nothing else but Bhagavan. He indeed bearest the burden of His devotees, to show us that everything here is transient and not lasting, that this world itself is the play of the opposites, that we are not the body, but the Soul  Eternal and Infinite, for He was Love embodied."

Dear Sri Jewell,

Your understanding and insights have always echoed Sri Bhagwan's and Sri Maharaj's Teachings, and therefore, going through such posts of yours always fill my heart with joy.

Quote:
"All stones in that place Arunachala are lingams. It is indeed the abode of Lord Siva.
All trees are the wish-granting trees of Indra's heaven. Its rippling waters are the Ganges,
flowing through our Lord's matted locks. The food eaten there is the ambrosia of the Gods.
To go round it in pradakshina is to perform pradakshina of the world.
Words spoken there are holy scripture, and to fall asleep there is to be absorbed in samadhi,
beyond the mind's delusion. Could there be any other place which is its equal?"

Dear Sri Jewell, Yes, this is beautiful. I suppose that you have never been to Sri Arunachala. You who loved and worshipped Sri Arunachala so much from afar must visit at least once to the Abode where every Stone is the Lingam.

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:51:40 AM by eranilkumarsinha »