Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 979824 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5190 on: November 07, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
My desires are many and my cry is pitiful, but ever didst thou save me by hard refusals; and this strong mercy has been wrought into my life through and through.

Day by day thou art making me worthy of the simple, great gifts that thou gavest to me unasked---this sky and the light, this body and the life and the mind---saving me from perils of overmuch desire.

There are times when I languidly linger and times when I awaken and hurry in search of my goal; but cruelly thou hidest thyself from before me.

Day by day thou art making me worthy of thy full acceptance by refusing me ever and anon, saving me from perils of weak, uncertain desire.

Gitanjali, Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Dear devotees, it follows that however much pitiful may be our cry for fulfilment of myriad desires, not granting their satiation is an act of Divine Grace.
I read this immortal poem when I had been a student. And whenever in my life I craved for satisfaction of  a certain desire and its satiation was not granted, I invariably became despondent, but then, I almost always remembered the cited poem and consoled myself that this was, after all, an Act of Divine Grace.

Pranam,
 Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: November 07, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
Quote:
"RM.: The ego submits only when it recognises the Higher Power."

"RM.: The intellect (ego) itself realises after continuous practice that it is enabled by some Higher Power to function. It cannot itself reach that Power. So it ceases to function after a certain stage. When it thus ceases to function the Supreme Power is still left there all alone. That is Realisation; that is the finality; that is the goal. It is thus plain that the purpose of the intellect is to realise its own dependence upon the Higher Power and its inability to reach the same."

Dear Sri Nishta, what is the purpose of the development of intellect in human kind? Sri Bhagwan has taught that though it must annihilate itself before the goal is reached, the intellect has a purpose to fulfil. From where you have quoted Sri Bhagwan's Teaching that the ego submits only when it recognizes the Higher Power, at the same place He has also taught that the inward seeking is the path to be gained by man's intellect. Therefore, the purpose of development of intellect in human kind is obvious. And that grand purpose is this that it should show the way to realize the Self. It must be put to that legitimate use, and not misuse it for indulging in the world for name, fame, wealth, pleasures, etc. 

Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:37:00 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: November 07, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
Thus Spake Bhagwan Sri Ramana:

Unless and until a man embarks on this quest of the true Self, doubt and uncertainty will follow his footsteps through life. The greatest kings and statesmen try to rule others when in their heart of hearts they know that they cannot rule themselves. Yet the greatest power is at the command of the man who has penetrated to his inmost depth. . . . What is the use of knowing about everything else when you do not yet know who you are? Men avoid this enquiry into the true Self, but what else is there so worthy to be undertaken?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: November 08, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
ते  दिन  गए  अकार्थी , सांगत  भाई  न  संत  |
प्रेम  बिना  पशु  जीवन , भक्ति  बिना  भगवंत  ||

Sri Kabir

Sri Kabir says that those days were as good as wasted (or lost) when neither Satsanga was dear nor the Saint. As the life of a person who doesn't have love in the heart is like that of a beast, likewise there is no divinity without bhakti (love). (trans. by me-anil)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: November 08, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
Quote from Sri Nishta:
"These three are left alone to continue their destiny; the jnani remains untouched."

Dear Sri Nishta,

Yes, this is, in my view, an impeccable understanding. However, I wish to draw your attention also to the Teaching that this is valid not only for the Self-realized Jnanis but for sadhaks or practisers of Vichara as well. For, when a seeker observed before Sri Bhagwan that if, as was said, everything happened according to destiny, even the obstacles that retarded and prevented one from successfully carrying out the meditation might have to be considered insuperable, as being set up by the irrevocable destiny, then one could never hope to surmount them. And to this, Sri Bhagwan replied, "That which is called 'destiny', preventing meditation, exists only to the externalized and not to the introverted mind. Therefore, he who seeks inwardly in quest of the Self, remaining as he is, does not get frightened by any impediment that may seem to stand in the way of carrying on his practice of meditation. The very thought of such obstacles is the greatest impediment."

Therefore, it follows that the best course for those who are drawn to Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching, like iron-fillings to a powerful Magnet, should not  excessively concern themselves with the contentious issue of free-will and destiny, and instead, must silently dive within in Atma-swarupa's Spelndour and Majesty, and be done, for once and all, with the vexed questions regarding free-will and destiny.         

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:06:58 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: November 08, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
Framed all the Universe divine,
And slowly cell by cell
Built up thy body for a shrine,
Wherein Himself might dwell?

Then cares and fears be phantoms vain--
Ills of illusion bred:
O hungry soul, insatiate brain,
Ope inward and be fed!

O heart, with age-long error rife,
Thou art no soil for sin,
Wherethrough the eternal source of life
Wells ever from within!

Drink, and thy need shall be sufficed,
The drought of death will fly:
Who thereof drinketh, said the Christ,
Shall never thirst or die.

Out of The Silence, Sri James Rhoades

Dear devotees, 'Out of The Silence', composed by Sri James Rhoades, is simply wonderful, to say the least! Anil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:14:46 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: November 08, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
Q: Some see a serpent in the rope, some a stick, some a garland, and some a flow of water, but the one who sees the rope as the rope has the true knowledge. The knowledge of the other seers is not true.
Sri Bhagwan: It is not necessary to think of the view of other seers. Those others are only in your imagination. Know the one seer, and all will be well.
Q: How?
Sri Bhagwan: In a dream, many are seen, but they are all in the imagination of the one seer. When you wake up from the dream, the dream and those seen in the dream will take care of their own prarabdha.
Q: Then there will be no others?
Sri Bhagwan: It is the same with the world. In Aparokshanubhuti, (an Advaitic work attributed to Sankara), the author says: "In the state where there is no existence of seer, seeing and seen, the sight should be fixed there (in that state) and not on the tip of the nose."

Dear Devotees,

There are not many seers but one Seer who really sees. Sri Bhagwan says that knowing that one Seer all will be well. 'See the Seer' or 'See that who sees'. However, when one goes to see that one Seer, he verily becomes the Seer Himself, and that is Vichara. Therefore, none else but the Self Itself is the only Seer.   

Part of Sri Adi Sankara's Ekasloki is quoted as following:

M: By what light do you see?
D: The sun by day, the lamp by night.
M: By what light do you see these lights?
D: The eye.
M: By what light do you see the eye?
D: The mind.
M: By what light do you know the mind?
D: My Self.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:09:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: November 09, 2017, 04:31:42 AM »

Bhagavan was a very beautiful person; he shone with
a visible light or aura. He had the most delicate hands I
have ever seen with which alone he could express himself,
one might almost say talk. His features were regular and
the wonder of his eyes was famous. His forehead was high
and the dome of his head the highest I have ever seen. As
this in India is known as the dome of Wisdom it was only
natural that it should be so. His body was well formed
and of only medium height, but this was not apparent as
his personality was so dominant that one looked upon
him as tall. He had a great sense of humour and when
talking a smile was never far from his face. He had many
jokes in his repertoire and was a magnificent actor, he
would always dramatise the protagonists of any story he
related.

A Sadhu's Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi
SADHU ARUNACHALA
(Major A. W. Chadwick)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: November 09, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
गुरू बिन ज्ञान न उपजई, गुरू बिन मलई न मोश |
गुरू बिन लाखाई ना सत्य को, गुरू बिन मिटे ना दोष ||
Sri Kabir

Neither Jnana (Knowledge) can be attained without the Guru nor the Salvation. Without the Guru, neither flaws (predispositions) can be got rid of nor Knowledge of Truth can dawn. (trans. by me-anil)   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:56 AM »
Quote:
"Bhagavan was a very beautiful person; he shone with
a visible light or aura. He had the most delicate hands I
have ever seen with which alone he could express himself,
one might almost say talk. His features were regular and
the wonder of his eyes was famous. His forehead was high
and the dome of his head the highest I have ever seen. As
this in India is known as the dome of Wisdom it was only
natural that it should be so. His body was well formed
and of only medium height, but this was not apparent as
his personality was so dominant that one looked upon
him as tall. He had a great sense of humour and when
talking a smile was never far from his face. He had many
jokes in his repertoire and was a magnificent actor, he
would always dramatise the protagonists of any story he
related."

Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes, thanks very much, for your beautiful post. However, I wish to say that I never discerned Sri Bhagwan's physical features so minutely though I am aware from such descriptions as above that even His mortal coil was so beautiful and captivating, to say the least . He is always in my consciousness though it is always His Divine Gaze only, which initiated me.  His all-erasing, divine Gaze is always there, standing before me, driving unceasingly home the truth that neither He is the body nor I, that He is the Consciousness, and so is every thing else, of course, including me.

Dear Sri Jewell, an excerpt from the famous book 'Path of Self-knowledge', written by Sri Arthur Osborne, is quoted, as following:

"He was not yet seventy but looked much more aged. Not careworn, for there was absolutely no sign of care -- He had known none. Just aged and very frail. Why was it that one who had been vigorous and robust, who had known little sickness in life and no grief or care, should have aged so much beyond his years? He that taketh upon himself the sins of the world -- He who alleviates the karma of the devotees -- it was only by himself drinking the poison churned up that Siva could save the world from destruction. Sri Shankara wrote: "Oh Sambhu, Lord of life! Thou bearest also the burden of Thy devotees' temporal life." There were many signs, always inconspicuous, how, even physically, Sri Bhagavan bore the burden. A devotee, Krishnamurthi by name, has related in a Tamil journal issued by Janaki Ammal, a lady devotee, how he went and sat in the hall one day when he had a severe pain in the index finger. He told no one, but to his surprise, he saw Sri Bhagavan hold and rub the same finger on His own hand, and the pain disappeared. Many others have known similar relief."

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:12:25 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: November 09, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:
"The arm was heavy and inflamed and the tumour growing. Occasionally He would admit 'there is pain' but He would never say 'I have pain.' In August a third operation was carried out and the wound treated with radium in the hope of destroying the affected tissues and preventing the return of the tumour. The same afternoon, a few hours after the operation, Sri Bhagavan was so gracious as to sit on the veranda of the dispensary where it had been performed, so that the devotees could file past and have darshan. One could see that He was exhausted but there was no sign of suffering in His face. I had come for the day from Madras, and as I stood before Him the radiance of His smile was such that even exhaustion ceased to be visible. At noon next day He returned to the hall so as not to inconvenience other patients by occupying the dispensary."

"He had immense compassion for those who grieved over the suffering and He sought to appease their grief, not the easy way by removing the suffering and postponing death for a few more years, but the fundamental way by making them realize that the body was not Bhagavan. "They take this body for Bhagavan and attribute suffering to Him. What a pity! They are despondent that Bhagavan is going to leave them and go away -- where can He go, and how?""

Sri Bhagwan: Bhagwan is the perpetual consciousness.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:14:34 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: November 09, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »

Dear devotees, while excerpting from Sri Arthur Osborne's writings, the following beautiful poem of Sri Percy B. Shelly from 'Adonais' came to my mind:

That light whose smile kindles the Universe,
That Beauty in which all things work and move,
That Benediction which the eclipsing curse
Of birth can quench not, that sustaining Love
Which through the web of being blindly wove
By man and beast and earth and air and sea,
Burns bright or dim, as each are mirrors of
The fire for which all thirst; now beams on me
Consuming the last clouds of cold mortality.

Dear devotees, Indeed! for His countless devotees all over the world, the Light of His Smile kindles the universe!!

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: November 09, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
Dear Anil ji,

:)

गुरू बिन ज्ञान न उपजई, गुरू बिन मलई न मोश |
Neither Jnana (Knowledge) can be attained without the Guru nor the Salvation. Without the Guru, neither flaws (predispositions) can be got rid of nor Knowledge of Truth can dawn. (trans. by me-anil)   

what does लाखाई mean here ? :)

Love!
Silence

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: November 09, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
Dear Anil ji,
     :) Did you read Japji sahib of Sikh religion ? That is a fantastic text of Advaita Bhakti !

Love!
Silence

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: November 09, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »
"गुरू बिन ज्ञान न उपजई, गुरू बिन मलई न मोश |
Neither Jnana (Knowledge) can be attained without the Guru nor the Salvation. Without the Guru, neither flaws (predispositions) can be got rid of nor Knowledge of Truth can dawn."

"what does लाखाई mean here ?"

Dear Sri Udai, 'लाखाई' is a colloquial word, which was and is still in vogue in some regions of Hindi-speaking North India. You won't find this word in Hindi Literature. The word 'लाखाई', in the cited Doha above, means 'to know'. So, the line 'गुरू बिन लाखाई ना सत्य को, गुरू बिन मिटे ना दोष' can be translated as:
'Neither Truth can be known nor flaws or predispositions ( दोष) can be got rid of without the Grace of the Guru."

Well, I cite below another Kabir's Doha, which is so dear to me. I suppose you would certainly understand its import.

जब मैं था तब हरी नहीं, अब हरी है मैं नाही |
सब अँधियारा मिट गया, दीपक देखा माही ||
Sri Kabir

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:23:46 PM by eranilkumarsinha »