Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756839 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5190 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:42 AM »
आतम अनुभव जब भयो, तब नहि हर्श विशाद
चितरा दीप सम ह्बै रहै, तजि करि बाद-विवाद।

Sri Kabir
Aatam anubhav jab bhayo,tab nhi harsh Vishad
Chitra deep sam habai rahai,taji kari bad-Vivad.
जब हृदय में परमात्मा की अनुभुति होती है तो सारे सुख दुख का भेद मिट जाता है।
वह किसी चित्र के दीपक की लौ की तरह स्थिर हो जाता है, और उसके सारे मतांतर समाप्त हो जाते है।

When Self (Atma) is realized in the Heart, all pain and pleasure disappear. Such a one lives like the constant flame of a lamp in a picture (or like a constant, unwavering flame of a lamp in a windless place). He shuns all arguments and polemics. (trans. by me-anil)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: November 06, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
Sri Paul Brunton:
"Once we push the gate of the mind slightly ajar and let the light stream in, the meaning of life becomes silently revealed to us. The gate may be open for one minute or for one hour, but in that period we discover the secret and neither weary time nor bitter woe can tear that priceless knowledge away from us. Words fall dead when I try to express that meaning, but whoever has felt his whole inner being melt away and dissolve into the mysterious Infinite during such meditation, as a result of constant aspiration or by the Grace of some Adept, will understand this thought I feebly trying to convey. In the still presence of that mighty power the soul walks on tip-toe."

"It is the most wonderful moment in a man's or woman's life, this illumination of the heart and mind."

"Find yourself--your Overself, and you will begin to find the meaning of life and begin to unveil the mystery of the universe. Back of each one of us there is this Overself--calm as an unruffled sky.............."

Dear Devotees,

'Pushing the gate of the mind slightly ajar', in my view, only means going within, opening the Inner Eye, and perceiving the Existence that is the Self or the Swarupa. Even a brief glimpse of the Eternity helps in the extinction of the ego totally, for, even during that brief experience of the Atma-swarupa; the universe of names and forms, including the ego-mind-body complex, is revealed to be false, floating as tiny straws on the periphery of Infinite Ocean of Consciousness. Who can express that Experience through words when even God-Guru Incarnate Sri Dakshinamurti conveyed it to Lord Brahma's Sons in Silence? However, undoubtedly, it brings about a great qualitative change in one who glimpses It, even if it be for a split of a moment. Life is no longer about only eating, sleeping, acting, desiring and achieving, in short, conducting worldly business anymore. Old ideas, concepts, achievements, et al, which were once so important, begin to appear redundant. The world which appeared so interesting loses sheen. Yes, one begins to find new, fulfilling meaning and purpose of life, and ceases to drift aimlessly and meaninglessly in an otherwise mundane life. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil         
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:41:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: November 06, 2017, 02:17:38 PM »
To be read in continuation with my previous post:
Dear devotees, yet, Sri Paul Brunton has written, and I concur, that we do not wake up to the Truth of our own Real Self, though in the Heart within, of our own accord. The aspirational call must come to us. Let us go through what he has said in this regard in his own words:

Sri Paul Brunton:
"Hard to grasp this truth, that the aspirational call must come to us; we do not stir it into sound of our own accord. We must   cast ourselves prostrate at the feet of the Real Self and pray for its grace. When the fire of divine aspiration awakens in our hearts, we may know that some modicum of Grace has been granted to us."
"We who are servitors of that high king must wait upon his mood. Grace is a gift, a favour to be received at the hands of the god within. It cannot descend at any arbitrary moment, however. It usually comes when the necessary bodily, environmental and experiential conditions are ripe. The spirit takes its own time, not ours. For--"

'We cannot kindle when we will
The fire which in the heart resides;
The Spirit bloweth and is still
In mystery the soul abides.'

Sri Matthew Arnold

"The ripening of the soul for this profound experience of union with the Overself takes place gradually, as does the ripening of fruit. But once the growth is complete, then union overwhelms the soul with sudden downpouring and man is really born new."

Dear devotees, the great Sage Sri Kabir has also sung that everything, gradually, gradually is accomplished in time (dheere   dheere   re   mana,  dheere  sab  kuchh  hoye). However, it must be understood that there is no grade in Reality. Only there are grades of experiences for the individual but not at all for the Reality Itself, for, experiences may vary depending upon the extent to which ignorance covering the Swarupa has been removed; however, the Reality remains one and the same. 
Therefore, it follows that we cannot hasten things of our own accord. We must pray for His Grace, continue to do our part, and await His Pleasure, irrespective of His appearnces and disappearances.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:26:31 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: November 06, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »
As Much as You Strive, So Much is His Grace Bestowed

Even as you strive to reach Wisdom's bounds,
Even so on you, Hara, the Being First, His Grace bestows,
In Sabha unique He dances for Uma to behold.
Like a Flaming Ruby in the Flaming Sky.

Tirumantiram

And Thus Spake Bhagwan Sri Ramana:
"Divine Grace is essential for Realisation. It leads one to God-realisation. But such Grace is vouchsafed only to him who is a true devotee or a yogin, who has striven hard and ceaselessly on the path towards freedom."

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: November 06, 2017, 04:05:30 PM »

we do not wake up to the Truth of our own Real Self, of our own accord

Ego confidently asserts that through its own efforts Truth is dis-covered. For many years I puffed my chest and alleged the same. But in fact it is the Higher Power's (Self) doing.

RM.: The ego submits only when it recognises the Higher Power.

RM.: The intellect (ego) itself realises after continuous practice that it is enabled by some Higher Power to function. It cannot itself reach that Power. So it ceases to function after a certain stage. When it thus ceases to function the Supreme Power is still left there all alone. That is Realisation; that is the finality; that is the goal. It is thus plain that the purpose of the intellect is to realise its own dependence upon the Higher Power and its inability to reach the same.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:07:51 PM by Nishta »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: November 07, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
ज्ञानी भुलै ज्ञान कथि निकट रहा निज रुप
बाहिर खोजय बापुरै, भीतर वस्तु अनूप।

Sri Kabir

Gyani bhulai gyan kathi nikat nij roop
Bahir khojay bapurai,bhitar vastu anoop.

तथाकथित ज्ञानी अपना ज्ञान बघारता है जबकी प्रभु उसके अपने स्वरुप में उसके अत्यंत निकट हीं रहते है।
वह प्रभु को बाहर खोजता है जबकी वह अनुपम आकर्षक प्रभु हृदय में हीं विराजमान है।

A self-proclaimed (or a so called) jnani is lost in describing his jnana (knowledge), while God is so intimate, always abiding within, as his own Swarupa. But he is searching Him outside when inside him is the Substance (वस्तु, Vastu)  Most Excellent. (trans. by me-anil)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »
"we do not wake up to the Truth of our own Real Self, of our own accord."

"Ego confidently asserts that through its own efforts Truth is dis-covered. For many years I puffed my chest and alleged the same. But in fact it is the Higher Power's (Self) doing."

"RM.: The ego submits only when it recognises the Higher Power."

Dear Sri Nishta,

Yes, Sri Bhagwan has enjoined rather explicitly that all the actions that the body is to perform are already decided at the time it comes into existence. The only freedom we have is whether or not to identify ourselves with the ego-body-mind complex, as it were. The world is a stage and all men and women are mere actors. The whole part is written out beforehand and one acts faithfully and efficiently according to the script whether one is Caesar who is stabbed or Brutus who stabs, he (actor) himself remaining unaffected by it because he knows that he is not the character being played on the stage.

Dear Sri Nishta, this is why ajnanis are always apprehensive as to what is going to become of them or going to happen the next moment or the next day, while he who realizes his identity with the deathless, immortal Self acts his part on the world and human stage without fear or anxiety, hope or regret, remaining untouched by the role being played out.   

Dear friend, if such is the state of affairs, if everything is predetermined even before we are born, the most spontaneous and sensible question in that case would be to ask what reality then we have when all our actions whatsoever are predetermined. It is sure to lead only to the ultimate and cataclysmic question: Who, then, am I? If the ego that thinks it makes decisions is not real and yet I know that I exist, what is the reality of me?

Dear friend, the above discussion itself may turn out for some to be a preparatory, mental version of the Great Quest Sri Bhagwan speaks of. However, this may though be an excellent preparation for the Great Quest, for the Real Experience, Grace is needed, and for That, Love and our Effort must be added.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:50:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: November 07, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
My desires are many and my cry is pitiful, but ever didst thou save me by hard refusals; and this strong mercy has been wrought into my life through and through.

Day by day thou art making me worthy of the simple, great gifts that thou gavest to me unasked---this sky and the light, this body and the life and the mind---saving me from perils of overmuch desire.

There are times when I languidly linger and times when I awaken and hurry in search of my goal; but cruelly thou hidest thyself from before me.

Day by day thou art making me worthy of thy full acceptance by refusing me ever and anon, saving me from perils of weak, uncertain desire.

Gitanjali, Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Dear devotees, it follows that however much pitiful may be our cry for fulfilment of myriad desires, not granting their satiation is an act of Divine Grace.
I read this immortal poem when I had been a student. And whenever in my life I craved for satisfaction of  a certain desire and its satiation was not granted, I invariably became despondent, but then, I almost always remembered the cited poem and consoled myself that this was, after all, an Act of Divine Grace.

Pranam,
 Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: November 07, 2017, 10:35:15 AM »
Quote:
"RM.: The ego submits only when it recognises the Higher Power."

"RM.: The intellect (ego) itself realises after continuous practice that it is enabled by some Higher Power to function. It cannot itself reach that Power. So it ceases to function after a certain stage. When it thus ceases to function the Supreme Power is still left there all alone. That is Realisation; that is the finality; that is the goal. It is thus plain that the purpose of the intellect is to realise its own dependence upon the Higher Power and its inability to reach the same."

Dear Sri Nishta, what is the purpose of the development of intellect in human kind? Sri Bhagwan has taught that though it must annihilate itself before the goal is reached, the intellect has a purpose to fulfil. From where you have quoted Sri Bhagwan's Teaching that the ego submits only when it recognizes the Higher Power, at the same place He has also taught that the inward seeking is the path to be gained by man's intellect. Therefore, the purpose of development of intellect in human kind is obvious. And that grand purpose is this that it should show the way to realize the Self. It must be put to that legitimate use, and not misuse it for indulging in the world for name, fame, wealth, pleasures, etc. 

Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:37:00 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: November 07, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »

not to identify ourselves with the ego-body-mind complex,
... remaining untouched by the role being played out.   

It is a wonderful contemplation for the dreamer; that the jnani does not identify with mind, body or world, and as such is completely free of these. These three are left alone to continue their destiny; the jnani remains untouched.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: November 07, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
Thus Spake Bhagwan Sri Ramana:

Unless and until a man embarks on this quest of the true Self, doubt and uncertainty will follow his footsteps through life. The greatest kings and statesmen try to rule others when in their heart of hearts they know that they cannot rule themselves. Yet the greatest power is at the command of the man who has penetrated to his inmost depth. . . . What is the use of knowing about everything else when you do not yet know who you are? Men avoid this enquiry into the true Self, but what else is there so worthy to be undertaken?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: November 08, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
ते  दिन  गए  अकार्थी , सांगत  भाई  न  संत  |
प्रेम  बिना  पशु  जीवन , भक्ति  बिना  भगवंत  ||

Sri Kabir

Sri Kabir says that those days were as good as wasted (or lost) when neither Satsanga was dear nor the Saint. As the life of a person who doesn't have love in the heart is like that of a beast, likewise there is no divinity without bhakti (love). (trans. by me-anil)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: November 08, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
Quote from Sri Nishta:
"These three are left alone to continue their destiny; the jnani remains untouched."

Dear Sri Nishta,

Yes, this is, in my view, an impeccable understanding. However, I wish to draw your attention also to the Teaching that this is valid not only for the Self-realized Jnanis but for sadhaks or practisers of Vichara as well. For, when a seeker observed before Sri Bhagwan that if, as was said, everything happened according to destiny, even the obstacles that retarded and prevented one from successfully carrying out the meditation might have to be considered insuperable, as being set up by the irrevocable destiny, then one could never hope to surmount them. And to this, Sri Bhagwan replied, "That which is called 'destiny', preventing meditation, exists only to the externalized and not to the introverted mind. Therefore, he who seeks inwardly in quest of the Self, remaining as he is, does not get frightened by any impediment that may seem to stand in the way of carrying on his practice of meditation. The very thought of such obstacles is the greatest impediment."

Therefore, it follows that the best course for those who are drawn to Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching, like iron-fillings to a powerful Magnet, should not  excessively concern themselves with the contentious issue of free-will and destiny, and instead, must silently dive within in Atma-swarupa's Spelndour and Majesty, and be done, for once and all, with the vexed questions regarding free-will and destiny.         

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:06:58 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: November 08, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
Framed all the Universe divine,
And slowly cell by cell
Built up thy body for a shrine,
Wherein Himself might dwell?

Then cares and fears be phantoms vain--
Ills of illusion bred:
O hungry soul, insatiate brain,
Ope inward and be fed!

O heart, with age-long error rife,
Thou art no soil for sin,
Wherethrough the eternal source of life
Wells ever from within!

Drink, and thy need shall be sufficed,
The drought of death will fly:
Who thereof drinketh, said the Christ,
Shall never thirst or die.

Out of The Silence, Sri James Rhoades

Dear devotees, 'Out of The Silence', composed by Sri James Rhoades, is simply wonderful, to say the least! Anil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:14:46 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: November 08, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
Q: Some see a serpent in the rope, some a stick, some a garland, and some a flow of water, but the one who sees the rope as the rope has the true knowledge. The knowledge of the other seers is not true.
Sri Bhagwan: It is not necessary to think of the view of other seers. Those others are only in your imagination. Know the one seer, and all will be well.
Q: How?
Sri Bhagwan: In a dream, many are seen, but they are all in the imagination of the one seer. When you wake up from the dream, the dream and those seen in the dream will take care of their own prarabdha.
Q: Then there will be no others?
Sri Bhagwan: It is the same with the world. In Aparokshanubhuti, (an Advaitic work attributed to Sankara), the author says: "In the state where there is no existence of seer, seeing and seen, the sight should be fixed there (in that state) and not on the tip of the nose."

Dear Devotees,

There are not many seers but one Seer who really sees. Sri Bhagwan says that knowing that one Seer all will be well. 'See the Seer' or 'See that who sees'. However, when one goes to see that one Seer, he verily becomes the Seer Himself, and that is Vichara. Therefore, none else but the Self Itself is the only Seer.   

Part of Sri Adi Sankara's Ekasloki is quoted as following:

M: By what light do you see?
D: The sun by day, the lamp by night.
M: By what light do you see these lights?
D: The eye.
M: By what light do you see the eye?
D: The mind.
M: By what light do you know the mind?
D: My Self.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:09:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »