Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758893 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5160 on: October 29, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
Dear devotees, what follows is an excerpt from the book 'Guru Ramana' authored by Sri S.S. Cohen

THE SCEPTIC
A very busy Polish journalist came for a few hours this afternoon, within which time he expected to be shown the Truth in the clearest possible manner.

Pole: I have read in your books that one should enquire into the nature of one's 'I' in order to know the Truth, which you call the Self. From biological science I have my own answer to the question of my own identity. What I wish to know is, who are you, you who speak of, and seem to have experienced, the Self? If another man confirms your statement, and so will a million, then there is the probability of the Self.

Sri Bhagwan: Have you no self yourself? Are you then in the region of probabilities, even with regard to your own self?

P: Yes, one cannot be sure of anything; even God cannot be proved with absolute certainty.

Sri Bhagwan: Leave God alone for the present. What of yourself?

P: I want confirmation of the Self.

Sri Bhagwan: You seek confirmation of yourself from others? How do you know that others exist?

P: By my senses.

Sri Bhagwan: 'My' implies the 'I', which owns the senses. You take your existence for granted, at the same time ask others to prove it to you. Similarly you admit the certainty of your senses, which see others, whilst denying all certainty. You see how you contradict yourself. The fact is that there are no others: there is no such a person as 'you'. Each man, although addressed as 'you', styles himself as 'I'. Even the confirmation you demand from others comes only from the 'I'. 'You' and 'they' occur only to the 'I', without which they are meaningless.

P: If you are right, what becomes of progress and science?

Sri Bhagwan. Progress and science are meant only for the perceiving mind. For whom is the progress if the mind is absent, say, in deep sleep, or in a swoon? The goal of all progress and science, you admit, is Truth, which is the Pure Intelligence, the substratum Consciousness, from which the thinking mind sprouts, and into which it is ultimately dissolved, when what you call 'Perfection', to which science aspires to lead, is attained. This is what we call realisation of the Self, that is, realisation of the source of the mind.

Source: Guru Ramana
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:40:25 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: October 29, 2017, 01:45:49 PM »

Sri Bhagwan: Have you no self yourself? Are you then in the region of probabilities, even with regard to your own self?

A wonderful clue from Maharshi. The Self is just yourself.
The caveat being that attachments are obscuring the unimpeded view.

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: October 29, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
Dear Anil ji,
             :) Your selection of Kabir Dohe are really very good.

Love!
Silence

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:44 AM »
Dear Sri Udai, I have always been very selective about the Verses and Poems that I post under this thread. I like to post only such poetry here, which some time or other has inspired me. I have grown up reading and hearing Sri Kabir's Dohe, and most of them are included in textbooks of Hindi language and literature in schools and colleges in this part of our great nation. So, most of them are still fresh in my memory.

Besides, it was through reading and hearing Sri Kabir's Dohe, even during adolescent years, that I understood that there is more to love than the carnality and mere physical attraction.

Now-a-days, sometimes, I read and enjoy translation of Sri Thaumanavar's, Sri Tiruvalluvar's, and Sri Tirumular's immortal compositions, and therefore, I shall certainly post some of them in this thread which touch me and strike deep chord within. 
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:42:24 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: October 30, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
Akath kahani prem ki, kuch kahi na jaye
Goonge keri sarkara, baithe muskaye

अकथ कहानी प्रेम की, कुछ कही न जाए |
गूंगे केरी सरकारा, बैठे मुस्काए ||

Sri Kabir

The inexpressible joy of love
Can never be expressed in words.
Just as a mute that tastes sugar,
Can only smile to convey the joy of sweetness.

Dear devotees, God or self is the love. As knowing God or the Self is being God or Self Himself, so also knowing Love is to be the Love in which lover and the object of love merge together, and what remains is the pure Love, Great Ones speak of. If such is the State of Pure Love, who will express it to whom, and why?

Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: October 30, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »

Dear Sri Nishta,

Yes, that's a great clue. You are but the Self, only and only the Self, and nothing whatsoever else. Yes, the Self is just yourself. Beautifully said! Thank you.

But what about the greatest clue Sri Bhagwan has given in the following holy Utterances?

Sri Bhagwan: 'My' implies the 'I', which owns the senses. You take your existence for granted, at the same time ask others to prove it to you.

'I' is Sat, or Existence or Being. Therefore, the moment one utters 'I', one takes one's existence for granted. Does he not? Well, Sri Bhagwan asks us to pay attention only to That, for That alone Is.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:16:39 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: October 30, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Quote:
"What is it to "hold the Self"?
I suspect it can be translated, "be as you are, ignore passing thoughts"."

Dear Sri Nishta,

I just saw the above quote in 'Rough Notebook' thread. This post of yours gladdened my heart. After a long time someone has posted in this forum something which struck really deep chord within me.

Yes, holding the Self is to be as one really is, ignoring the passing thoughts. Do not doubt it. You have grasped it rather wonderfully. Sri Udai's beautiful observation, in my view, is also quite apt--holding onto self is really to not hold onto non-self. Holding onto non-Self (attachments) is alone obscuring our unimpeded view of the Atma-swarupa!

If during meditation, thoughts are few and far between, hovering only on the periphery of consciousness, weakened enough such that they are not able to externalize the mind, that is, mental movement and thought-wave have been arrested to a great extent, one is able to cling to one's Self, and thoughts can no longer disturb one's quietude obtained from the mediation anymore. That, indeed, is Anthra Vichara or the Inner Quest, Sri Bhagwan speaks of. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:46:36 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: October 30, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »
Q:What is Life?
Sri Bhagwan: Materially speaking Life is the body; spiritually speaking it is the Ultimate Consciousness. It depends on how you look at it.
Q: What is Death?
Sri Bhagwan. It is oblivion of one's real nature.

At this stage a visitor interrupted by asking whether suicide was a wrong act.

Sri Bhagwan: Killing the innocent body is certainly wrong. Suicide must be committed on the mind, where the suffering is deposited, and not on the body, which is insentient and feels nothing. The mind is the real culprit, being the creator of the anguish which tempts to suicide, but by an error of judgement, the innocent, insentient body is punished for it.

Dear devotees, how sad! The innocent, insentient body is punished in suicide, while the main culprit, the mischievous mind escapes the terrible ordeal, only to occupy another body, and play the hoary game all over, once again!!
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:46:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: October 31, 2017, 09:15:13 AM »
गुरु गोविंद दोनों खड़े, काके लागूं पाँय ।
बलिहारी गुरु आपनो, गोविंद दियो मिलाय ॥
Sri Kabir

Sri Kabir asks, "If God and Guru both come to me together, who shall I prostrate first?" He then says that Guru is the Affectionate Bestower of Grace (बलिहारी), and it is because of His Grace only that he is able to know God. (trans. by me-Anil)

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that God, Guru and the Self are One and the same. But God is unknown. However, the Guru, appearing outside, points out that He is the Inner Self abiding in the hearts of all, and indicates the Way to Him following which His devotees realize Him, verily as the Self. Therefore, Sri Kabir has no doubt as to whom he will prostrate first if God and Guru appear at the same time before him.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:45:42 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: October 31, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »
Dear Anil ji,
        :) Yet another beautiful verse from kabir ke dohe !

The beauty of the whole thing lies in : ishvaro gurur atmeti murti bedha vibhagine , vyomavat vyapta dehaya sri dakshinamurthaye namah...

the difference between ishvara, guru and atma is only in the forms, like vyoma or space , in all these forms there is only sri lord Dakshinamurthi!

so whether a devotee discovers this common "background" in ishvara, guru or atma its just the same. once that common thread is discovered, one sees that its the same in ishvara, guru or atma. often its difficult to recognize it in atma because when we look within we are caught up in our mind and mental activities. hence if we seek out a guru , he will be able to guide us see this and then the difference is only in forms ... as Sri Ramana says :
isha -jiva-yor veshadhi bidhah sva svabhavatah vastu kevalam ... between ishvara and jiva the "vesham" [vesh] or the "form" alone is different in essence there is only One!

Love!
Silence

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
जहा  काम  तहा  नाम  नहीं , जहा  नाम  नहीं  वहा  काम  |
दोनों  कभू  नहीं  मिले , रवि  रजनी  इक  धाम  ||
Sri Kabir

He who does not think of God, takes delight in transient, sensual pleasures (काम). He who remembers God knows no sensual infatuation. God and sensual infatuation won't unite as there can be no union of the Sun and the darkness. (trans. by me-anil)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:49 AM »
Quote:
"The beauty of the whole thing lies in : ishvaro gurur atmeti murti bedha vibhagine , vyomavat vyapta dehaya sri dakshinamurthaye namah...

the difference between ishvara, guru and atma is only in the forms, like vyoma or space , in all these forms there is only sri lord Dakshinamurthi!

so whether a devotee discovers this common "background" in ishvara, guru or atma its just the same. once that common thread is discovered, one sees that its the same in ishvara, guru or atma. often its difficult to recognize it in atma because when we look within we are caught up in our mind and mental activities. hence if we seek out a guru , he will be able to guide us see this and then the difference is only in forms ... as Sri Ramana says :
isha -jiva-yor veshadhi bidhah sva svabhavatah vastu kevalam ... between ishvara and jiva the "vesham" [vesh] or the "form" alone is different in essence there is only One!"

Dear Sri Udai,

Yes, I am totally one with what you have said as in above quote. You are always brilliant at arriving at Truth insightfully, whatever the premise. Here the premise was 'Guru Govind Dono Khade', and you arrived wonderfully at the oneness of Guru, God and Atma. Thanks very much, dear friend.

Dear Sri Udai, have you listened to the musical renderings of Sri Kabir's Dohe? Entire North India sways to the rhythm of the wonderful musical renderings of Sri Kabir's Dohe. I also often hum these days soulfully:   

गुरु गोविंद दोनों खड़े, काके लागूं पाँय ।
बलिहारी गुरु आपनो, गोविंद दियो मिलाय ॥

Thanks very much, dear friend.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:50:54 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: November 02, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
Dear Sri Udai, my only submission is this that understanding with such wonderful clarity should not remain only intellectual, and render it in vain. But whoever have understood 'Atma-vidya' with such clarity, should take one final plunge into the depth of one's own Atma-swarupa, remain in solitude, do only profound enquiry (stand still), and thus endeavour to realize the Sat-Chit, which alone is the Goal of all.
Pranam
 Anil   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:09:18 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »
The attainment of Realization [samadhi], which results at the end of the practice of enquiry into the beloved true knowledge [mey-jnana vichara], is solely due to the Grace of God, who shines as Self, as one's own reality, the Soul of the soul.
V. 724, GVK

Unless the Lord [the God and Guru] who resides within [as Self], by the power of His Grace pulls the mind within, who can, by the mere power of the stealthy and mischievous mind, prevent its out-going nature and reach the Heart and rest in peace?
V. 725, GVK

The Grace of God, whose form is eightfold, cannot be obtained without the Grace of Guru. Neither by vidyas [arts and learning] nor by any other means will Grace be obtained, but only by bhakti [towards Guru].
V. 726, GVK

Let one not doubt whether God's Grace, the great support, has been bestowed on one or not, for the fact that one's mind is much interested in enquiry, having a great liking for release from bondage, is itself sufficient proof [that God's Grace has been bestowed].
V. 727, GVK

To tell the truth, the Grace of God and the enquiry 'Who am I?', which is the means for abiding within, each being a great help to the other, together lead one to the state of oneness with the supreme Self.
V. 728, GVK

Unless the supreme Reality [God or Self] Itself reveals Itself in the Heart, the delusion [maya] of this world-dream will not end. The enquiry 'Who am I who sees this dream?' is the worship [upasana] which brings forth [the Grace of the Supreme for] this revelation.
V. 729, GVK

Attending to one's own Self is said to be the supreme devotion to God, who is unattainable by the mind and so on, because these two [the Self attended to by the enquirer and the God worshipped by the devotees] are in nature [swarupam] one and the same.
V. 730, GVK

Know that the path of Jnana and the path of bhakti are inter-related. Follow these inseparable two paths without dividing one from the other.
V. 731, GVK

Dear devotees, Sri Michael James, while commenting on the above cited Verses, has written thus:
"Since Self is the real life or soul of the pseudo soul, the jiva, It is the real God. Therefore enquiry, which is Self-attention done with great love towards Self, alone is the true worship of God. Thus only through the Grace of God, the Self, does the enquirer become firmly established in samadhi."

"Since God Himself incarnates as Guru, God's Grace is proclaimed to be nought without the Guru's Grace. Since Guru-bhakti is itself God-bhakti, it alone, and nothing else, will enable one to obtain God's Grace."

Therefore, dear devotees, in order to gain the Grace of God and awaken from this unending world-dream, Self-enquiry is certainly  one of the most efficacious spiritual practices ever revealed and enjoined by a great Master and Jnana Guru.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:04:30 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

srkudai

• View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: November 02, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
Dear Anil ji,
         :) yes I have had the privilege to listen to Kabir Das Dohe. They are simply fantastic.
As regards Atma Nishta, thats my attempt too :) ...
if this is not lived, is not my life wasted ?

Love!
Silence