Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 772369 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5100 on: October 12, 2017, 04:11:51 PM »
The Guru verily is Consciousness,
There is no doubt He is Absolute;
Thus a wise man who seeks the Truth,
Will find It in his Sadguru.

Sri Guru Gita

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: October 12, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
Dear devotees, what follows is an excerpt from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrihsna:

Sri Hazra: The devotee really prays to his own Self.

"The Master (Sri Ramakrishna): What you say is a very lofty thought. The aim of spiritual discipline, of chanting God's name and glories, is to realize just that. A man attains everything when he discovers his true Self in himself. The object of sadhana is to realize that. That also is the purpose of assuming a human body. One needs the clay mould as long as the gold image has not been cast; but when the image is made, the mould is thrown away. The body may be given up after the realization of God."

"God is not only inside us; He is both inside and outside. The Divine Mother showed me in the Kali temple that everything is Chinmaya, the Embodiment of Spirit; that is She who has become all this--the image, myself, the utensils of worship, the door-sil, the marble floor. Everything is indeed Chinmaya."

"The aim of prayer, of spiritual discipline, of chanting the name and glories of God, is to realize just that. For that alone a devotee loves God."

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:16:10 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: October 14, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »
Chalti Chakki Dekh Kar, Diya Kabira Roye
Do Paatan Ke Beech Mein,Sabit Bacha Na Koye

Translation
Watching the grinding stones, Kabir cries
Inside the two stones, no one survives.

Dear devotees, Sri Kabir sees the grinding stones pertaining  to the duality (dwanda) that we live in. Heaven and earth, good and bad, male and female, high and low - all around is apparently duality only. This play of opposites, this Chalti Chakki (moving mill) gets everyone, no one is spared, no one is safe from it's powerful grip.

Whoever remains in this duality is crushed. No one can survive. Sri Kabir cries because rarely, if ever, does one see the Oneness, the Divinity, behind this rampant duality.

Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: October 14, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:  Who has the power to convey this in word when even Thou (appearing as Dakshinamurti) couldst do so in ancient days by silence only? Only to convey by silence Thy (transcendent) state Thou standest as a hill, shining from heaven to earth.

Dear Devotees,

Thus sang Sri Bhagwan in V. 2 of Eight Stanzas to Sri Arunachala. So, Sri Arunachala stands motionlessly to convey His State without speaking, that is, through Silence. And what does He convey through that Silence? It cannot be anything other than to just be, that is, to stand still without rising as a mere 'I'-thought or the wretched ego, and thus consciously stopping all mental activities.
In the V.35 of Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai, Sri Bhagwan parys to Sri Arunachala, 'Tell me what is the means of salvation there is for me?' Sri Arunachala then did not teach Sri Bhagwan through WORDS or speech, but communicated through Divine Silence not to speak but instead to just stand still ( V. 36, Aksharamanamalai). Other than this Mauna or Divine Silence there is no other means to truly know the Infinite Atma-swarupa. This is why Sri Dakshinamurti elucidated it without speaking. This is why Sri Arunachala, standing motionlessly as a Hill, is elucidating the 'Path of being', unspokenly spoken, through Mauna or Divine Silence.

Dear devotees, why is the Mauna or the Divine Silence is imperative to covey the truth of the Atma-swarupa? Because Sri Bhagwan has taught that 'I Am' is the Goal, if one holds it with effort, this sadhana, and when effortless, it is Realization.  Therefore, Silence is absolutely essential because the nature of Goal, which is Absolute Silence of the Self untainted by rising of the ego, is not different from this 'Path of being'. So, it can be grasped rather easily:
Since the Goal is Absolute Silence of the Self, untainted by rising of the spurious ego, It cannot be known other than by Mauna or Silence.

Sri Muruganar: This is the reason why Arunachala, who is the very form of Dakshinamurti, Himself remained still, and spoke without speaking, 'Do not speak. Just be still.' The aim of the Guru in remaining still is to instruct His disciples to--cause them to--remain like Himself in their natural state. This illustrates the meaning of Mauna.

Dear devotees, such is the greatness of Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan that once one is drawn to Sri Bhagwan and His Atma-vichara, there is no escape from the Jaw of His Grace, until one is led from asking 'Who am I' or Whence Am I?' to the 'Path of being (to just be or stand still)', which culminates in the Realization of the Swarupa or the Self.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:45:01 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: October 14, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »
The Master (Sri Ramakrishna) sang:
Dive deep, O mind, dive deep in the ocean of God's beauty;
If you descend to the uttermost depts.,
There you find the gem of love.

After the Master sang the above song, He said to Sri Bankim thus:
"There are some who do not want to dive. They say, 'Won't we become deranged if we go to excess about God?' Referring to those who are intoxicated with divine love, they say, 'These people have lost their heads.' But they don't understand this simple thing: God is the Ocean of Amrita, Immortality."

Source: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Dear devotees, what a pity that those who are totally oblivious of God's Presence or the Glory of the Atma-swarupa  consider those who are intoxicated with divine love as deranged or mad men! And they do not dive deep because they are afraid that they would meet the same fate!! If only they could have a little faith in great ones' Utterances; and stand, stare and contemplate a little, they would reach the understanding that God alone Is, and He is the Ocean of Amrita, Immortality.

Therefore, once a devotee understands through the holy Words of a Master that in the innermost recess of hearts of all abides the Parmatamam (Self or God) who is the Ocean of Amrita or Immortality, his mind is gradually prepared to dive deep and descend to the uttermost depths. The great master says elsewhere that a man cannot get pearls by floating on the surface or swimming on the surface. Therefore, he must dive deep.

Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:16:04 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: October 14, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »
Sri Dilip Kumar Roy:
"But Maharshi," I asked after a hesitant pause, "why is it that the bhakta so often turns away from the jnani, even after they have both attained the goal?" He smiled, "But your premise is wrong, to start with", He said. "For, as soon as the bhakta arrives he finds he is at one with the jnani. For then the bhakta becomes bhakti swarupa (the essence of bhakti) even as the jnani becomes jnana swarupa (the essence of jnana) and the two are one, identical, although pseudo-bhaktas and pseudo-jnanis may dub the idea 'crazy' and start pitching into one another". Then He added after a pause, "But such strifes break out only among the followers of the illuminates. The Masters always stay above the battle". I was reminded of Sri Ramakrishna's joke about Rama and Shiva: "Even when they fight", He said, "the duel ends in perfect harmony, peace and love. But Rama's soldiers, the monkeys, and Shiva's henchmen, the ghouls, go ever on clashing and snarling and calling names".
Source: Sri Ramana Smrti

Dear devotees, in ancient times as well as in modern times, when two fighting kings or two antagonistic governments arrived at an understanding and made truce, their armies ceased to fight against each other and 'cease fire' was called, but here even when the warring Gods' duel ends in perfect harmony, peace and love, their armies and followers go ever on clashing and snarling and calling names!
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:06:58 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: October 14, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »
I know not from what distant time thou art ever coming nearer to meet me. Thy sun and stars can never keep thee hidden from me for aye.

In many a morning and eve thy footsteps have been heard and thy messenger has come within my heart and called me in secret.

I know not only why today my life is all astir, and a feeling of tremulous joy is passing through my heart.

It is as if the time were come to wind up my work, and I feel in the air a faint smell of thy sweet presence.

Gitanjali, Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: October 15, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
Maya Mari Na Mun Mara, Mar Mar Gaye Shareer
Asha Trishna Na Mari, Keh Gaye Das Kabir
Sri Kabir

"Neither Maya died, nor the mind died, nor died the hopes, desires and delusion; only body died again and again, said Das Sri Kabir."

Dear devotees, this is one of most profound verses from Sri Kabir's Dohe. Sri Kabir, remaining in the State of Nishtha and Beatitude, sees the world, which has been projected by the 'mun' or the mind as Maya. Sri Kabir laments that man is so fascinated by this illusory world that he has forgotten the purpose of life which is to get rid of the mind and Maya which give rise to hopes and delusion (asha and trishna). But asha trishna na mari (hopes, desires and delusion are not destroyed), only the body dies again and again.

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:33:36 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: October 15, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna: "You ask me why don't you feel stern renunciation. There is a reason for it. You have desires and tendencies within you. The same is true of Hazra. In our part of the country I have seen peasants bringing water into their paddy-fields. The fields have low ridges on all sides to prevent the water from leaking out; but these are made of mud and often have holes here and there. The peasants work themselves to death to bring the water, which, however, leaks out through the holes. Desires are the holes. You practice japa and austerities, no doubt, but they all leak out through the holes of your desires."
"They catch fish with a bamboo trap. The bamboo is naturally straight. But why is it bent in the trap? In order to catch the fish. Desires are the fish. Therefore the mind is bent toward the world. If there are no desires, the mind naturally looks up toward God."

Dear Devotees,

Only in Pure Mind there is no desire. God or Brahman is apprehended by the Pure Mind. Hence a Mind free of desires will naturally look up toward God because such a Mind is verily God or Brahman. Is it not?
So, Sri Bhagwan taught that desires must become weaker before they cease to assert. As fire cannot be extinguished by pouring spirit over the flames, so also the more the desires are fulfilled, the deeper grows the samskara. Therefore, desires can be weakened by restraining oneself and not by losing oneself in desires. 

Dear devotees, we do not have any desire in sleep. But the state of desirelessness in sleep made us no less happy than now. In the waking state we continue to be the same existence as in sleep with the limitation of the body added. In sleep we are not aware of the body and we do not limit ourselves to this body. So, in sleep, we do not find anything separate and different from the Self. But in the waking state these limitations make us see other objects separate from our Self, and hence desire arises to acquire them. We didn't make ourselves miserable by not entertaining desires in sleep. But now in the waking state we entertain desires because we have confined and limited ourselves to this human frame. Limiting ourselves to this block of a body therefore is the cause for the rising of desires.

Sri Bhagwan:Why do you wish to retain these limitations and continue to entertain desires?

Why should we wish to retain these limitations and continue to entertain desires, and go through trials and tribulations, experiencing sorrow and misery birth after birth? So, Sri Bhagwan has taught that desires will be rendered weaker by knowledge. We know that we are not the mind and we exist even without it as in sleep. The desires are in the mind. Contemplating on such knowledge helps one to control the desires, by reminding every time one attempts at satisfaction of a desire that it is better to desist. Such repeated reminder and remembering our true nature will certainly weaken the desires in  due course, and thus prevent the precious water from leaking through the holes of desires, as it were.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:40:33 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: October 15, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Knowledge of Truth:

The muddled mentality that mistakes the unreal for the Real is the genesis of woeful births.

For those of undimmed perception, free from delusion, darkness departs and rapture rushes in.

Heaven is nearer than Earth for those who dispel all doubt and know the Truth.

All knowledge acquired through the five senses is worthless to those without knowledge of Truth.

In everything of every kind whatsoever, wisdom perceives Truth in that thing.

Those who find the highest Reality here and now follow a path which never comes back to this world.

Having thought profoundly and realized fully That which is, one need never think of being born again.

Wisdom is that rare realization of Perfection's True Being, which banishes forever the folly of rebirth.

He who clings to life's true support clings not to lesser things. Sorrows, which destroy by clinging, no longer cling to him.

Desire, delusion and indignation --annihilation of these three terms is the termination of torment.

Tirukural

Dear devotees, Indeed! Tirukural is verily a treasure-trove or repository of wisdom. Anil
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:17:00 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: October 15, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »
Sri Joshi: I am a beginner. How should I start?

Sri Bhagwan: Where are you now? Where is the goal? What is the distance to be covered? The Self is not somewhere far away to be reached. You are always that. You have only to give up your habit, a long-standing one, of identifying yourself with the non-self. All effort is only for that. By turning the mind outwards, you have been seeing the world, the non-Self. If you turn it inwards you will see the Self.
Day By Day With Bhagwan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: October 15, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »
Dear devotees, what follows is a rare but gripping conversation, which contains some profound wisdom for seekers and devotees of all faiths:

Question: It is stated that 'by the Grace of a Guru the highest state is reached in a moment.' Is this true?

Sri Bhagwan: Yes. If the disciple is in a ripe state. The ajnana will be removed only by the avalokana (look) of the Sadguru.

Question: Is the kripa, flowing towards one proportional to one's merit?

Sri Bhagwan: If the vessel is small, the kripa that he receives will be small. If the vessel is big, the kripa will be proportionately more.

Question: If the vessel is small, how to make it big?

Sri Bhagwan: The water in all vessels is the same. [After a pause]. There is no question of more kripa or less kripa for one who surrenders (saranagata).

Question: What is meant by surrender or saranagati?

Sri Bhagwan: When one surrenders there is no kartrtwa bhava, i.e., there is no sense of agency in him. There will be 'udasina bhava' and he will not feel any anxiety about acts or results. He does not commence any work for his own sake, and he becomes a 'sarva arambha parityagi' (vide Gita, chapter 14). He will have no ahamkara (feeling of 'I'). The feeling of I, ahambhava will vanish either by jnana marga or by saranagati.

Question: In the books it is stated that Bhagavan is an ocean of Mercy. Is it a fact?

Sri Bhagwan: Ocean? Ocean (sagara) has a limit, a boundary (or coast line), but the kripa of Bhagavan has no such limit. It is limitless. It knows no bounds.

This explanation of Sri Bhagavan gave us great satisfaction, roused new hopes, and opened a new chapter in our spiritual lives.

Source: Surpassing Love And Grace

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:33:20 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »
Jaise Til Mein Tel Hai, Jyon Chakmak Mein Aag
Tera Sayeen Tujh Mein Hai, Tu Jaag Sake To Jaag
Sri Kabir

Translation

Like the oil is inside the seed, just as the fire is inside the Flint Stone,

Your God is inside you; knowing this, if you can wake up, then wake up.

Dear Devotees,

It is a little intriguing that man easily understands that there is oil in the oilseed and fire in the wood, which are hidden; but does not understand that which is not all that hidden (so hidden), that is, God is abiding in the hearts of all beings, causing them to turn around by His Power as if they were mounted on a machine! We do not understand that Lord is abiding in the hearts of all beings as the very Self, and that as creatures we are born in Him, sustained in Him and finally are resolved into Him, for, He is the beginning and the middle and the end of all beings. Other than Him all are fields, and He alone is the Knower of the field in all fields whatsoever. However, if we come to know all this through the holy utterances of the Guru, Sri Kabir beseeches, one must seek to wake up to the Reality within, for that alone is the purpose of life, and for which we, as creatures, are being projected again and again in a Leela called Divine Play. If we first wake up to the Reality within ourselves,then only we will be able be able to see all beings in ourselves(Self), and ourselves (Self) in all beings, and that is the end of the dream-like projection called world or samsara. Tera Sayeen Tujh Mein Hai, Tu Jaag Sake To Jaag !!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:20:49 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: October 16, 2017, 03:33:33 PM »
In the course of a conversation Dr. Henry Hand asked Sri Bhagwan, "Are you conscious of a brotherhood of invisible rishis?"
Sri Bhagwan replied with a question, "If invisible, how to see them?"
Dr. Hand, "In consciousness".
Sri Bhagwan continued, "In consciousness there is nothing external."
Dr. Hand asked, "Is there not individuality? I fear to lose my individual being."
Sri Bhagwan, "Why fear to lose individuality? What is your state in dreamless sleep? Are you conscious of your individuality then?"
Dr. Hand, "It is possible."
Sri Bhagwan, "But what is your experience? If the individuality be there would it be asleep?"
Dr. Hand, "That depends on the interpretation. What does Maharshi say?"
Sri Bhagwan, "Maharshi does not speak for your experience. He does not force anything down your throat."
Dr. Hand, "I know. That is what I like so much about the Maharshi and his teachings."
Sri Bhagwan, "Do you not really take great care to get sound sleep? Do you not prepare your bed carefully? And are you not anxious to lose your individuality in deep steep? Then why fear it?"

Source: The Silent Power

Dear Devotees,

The Knowledge or Jnana does not mean knowledge of something outside oneself.  We must understand that the Knowledge of the Self does not and cannot belong to an individual or an individual-I as 'my' knowledge, that is, as objective knowledge. It is Pure Awareness, aware only of Itself. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that to know is to be. And therefore, our duty is only to be. Hence it is ridiculous to believe that Sages of yore can be found in Consciousness, for there is only one Consciousness and that is the Self-Consciousness. It will be contradiction in terms to believe that individual consciousness which is the reflected consciousness can be found and located in Chidakasa or One, i.e., Self-Consciousness. 

Dear devotees, why this overarching love and fascination for the individuality? Why? Because of love for the Self only. Is there any doubt that one loves oneself only? And there are not two selves. So, even while loving oneself, one loves the Self only. Fact is that the body-mind complex has arrogated the Self to itself and sees all other beings and objects different from itself and says 'I', and that is the birth of the individual. Rising of first person pronoun 'I' is the cause of rising of second and third person pronouns, such as, you, he, she, it, they, we, etc. 

However, having said this, I wish to say that fear of loss of individuality in an unprepared sadhaka is very real. Remember the case of the French officer who came to Sri Bhagwan and wanted no intellectual discussion with Him, but wished to be enlightened straightaway? He blurted out 'no, no!', and took to flight, as soon as Sri Bhagwan faced him and gazed into his eyes.

But we lose our individuality daily and are even anxious to lose it in sleep. An earnest sadhak, learning from the experiences of three states of waking, sleep and dream, and by having Faith in one's Guru, and practicing  His Teaching sincerely with perseverance, overcomes the fear of of losing anything, much less the false and illusory self, and thus prepares himself for the Quantum Leap into Immortality.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil   
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:44:50 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: October 16, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »
Master (Sri Ramakrishna): Please sing a little.
Sri Narendra (Sri Vivekananda) sang:

Upon the sea of Blissful Awareness waves of ecstatic love arises:
Rapture divine! Play of God's Bliss!
Oh, how enthralling!
Wondrous waves of sweetness of God, ever new and ever
enchanting,
Rise on the surface, ever assuming
Forms ever fresh.
Then once more in the Great Communion all are merged, as the
barrier walls.
Of time and space dissolve and vanish:

Dance in delight, O mind!
Dance in delight with hands upraised, chanting Lord Hari's holy
name.   

As Sri Narendra sang the words, 'Then once more in the great Communion all are merged ', Sri Ramakrishna said to him, "One realizes this after attaining Knowledge of Brahman; then all is vidya, Brahman, as you said"