Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755709 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4815 on: June 08, 2016, 07:06:41 PM »
Quote:
"Several devotees have repeatedly declared that they do not go to Maharshi to talk or to put Him questions, that they have had quite enough of intellectual preparation, and that they are happiest when no visitors carry on talk and when Maharshi is seated still in samadhai giving them the lead for their own samadhai. This is specially the case with those who have been working on the lines recommended and adopted by Mahaeshi, i.e., Atma Vichara (pursuing the quest 'Who am I?'). Once Kapali Sastri asked Maharshi if a disciple may go to more than one Guru with advantage or without detriment to his progress. Maharshi answered that he could--WITH  THE  PROVISO  THAT  THE  CURRENT  OF  THOUGHT  OF  BOTH  GURUS  SHOULD  BE  SUBSTANTIALLY  THE  SAME.  This explains why those pursuing Maharshi's line of preparation for Samadhi find His Presence so helpful--the very atmosphere of Maharshi's hall being full of the quest 'Who am I?' !!!

Source: Self Realization, Sri B.V. Narsimha Swami

Dear Devotees,

This is what I have been telling all along that those who are pursuing Sri Bhagwan?s Teaching need not go anywhere, for thinking of Him and practicing His line of Teaching, that is, the Atma-vichara, sincerely and earnestly is, in my view, most helpful in sadhana.

Sri B. V. Marsimha Swami says that those who are working on the lines recommended and adopted by Sri Bhagwan are happiest when nobody asks question and when He is seated still in Samadhi and thus giving them lead for their own Samadhi. Today, if one has been to Sri Ramanasramam and practiced Atma-vichara either in the Old Hall or Samadhi Hall, he must have found that  His Presence is so palpable, and the very atmosphere of these august Halls are full of the Quest 'Who am I?' Now, He is not seated physically to answer the questions of visitors, and therefore, there is no possibility of obstructing His 'Mauna Vyakhya' , or His teaching in Silence. One who feels he has had enough of intellectual preparation and wants only Sri Bhagwan seated still in Samadhi, for such a one, indeed, the atmosphere in His Ashram is more conducive and congenial for pursuing the sadhana of His Atma-vichara, perhaps more than ever before!! This is why perhaps earnest seekers from all over the world are coming to Him in ever-increasing number!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:10:51 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: June 09, 2016, 08:16:46 PM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:
??????.., a Guru often withholds the technique of spiritual practice as a secret to be revealed only to those whom he finds fit and initiates into it personally. However, with Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan, no such precaution is necessary. It is a person's own understanding that opens this method to him, or his lack of understanding that closes it.
Source: The Teaching of Ramana Maharshi In His Own Words

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: June 09, 2016, 08:19:08 PM »
Dear Devotees,

My last question on Sraddha (Faith) is: Sri Bhagwan has taught that Sraddha, Grace and Self are synonymous.  Grace is in the beginning, middle and in the end of Sadhana. How Sraddha (Faith) is indispensible to make the aspirant pursue and progress in Self-enquiry? As I understand, Sri Bhagwan says that there is no one who does not have Faith in oneself. If one lacks Faith (Sraddha) in oneself, or one's being, one will not understand and one will not pursue it.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: June 10, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
"The Self is ever revealed, and is not so something to be attained in the future, it is ever attained! This feeling of I am yet to realise my Self is an error! We may say as it is a willful error by one Self! There can possibly be no Avidya, Ignorance. It is impossible! If one feels so then Bhagavan said No, it is not so, see, look carefully, enquire who feels thus! Therefore, If one truly has such hunger, this error will end this very moment. But how??

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Yes, in that sense even speaking of Self-realization is a delusion. Yes, Sri Bhagwan has taught that since people at large are under the delusion that non-Self is the Self and therefore the unreal the Real, that they have to be weaned out of it by the other delusion known as Self-realization, just as a thorn is used to take out another that is embedded. Sri Bhagwan has taught that because really the Self is always the Self, and therefore, there is no such thing as realizing It.
Sri Bahgwan: Who is to realize what, and how, when all that exists is the Self and nothing but the Self?

There is another perspective: Elsewhere, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Vedantic Text "All is Brahman" means that the world is real as the Self. However, if one regards the world as non-Self, it is not real. This is profound. Everything, whether we call it illusion, ignorance, or Divine Play (Lila), must be within the Self and not apart from it.  So, world, body, non-Self, et al, are within the very Swarupa (the Self)!!! What a great clue for all earnest practisers of the Path of Atma-vichara!

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Nagaraj Ji.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:55:52 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: June 11, 2016, 09:41:27 AM »

Yes, in that sense even speaking of Self-realization is a delusion. Yes, Sri Bhagwan has taught that since people at large are under the delusion that non-Self is the Self and therefore the unreal the Real, that they have to be weaned out of it by the other delusion known as Self-realization, just as a thorn is used to take out another that is embedded. Sri Bhagwan has taught that because really the Self is always the Self, and therefore, there is no such thing as realizing It.
Sri Bahgwan: Who is to realize what, and how, when all that exists is the Self and nothing but the Self?

There is another perspective: Elsewhere, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Vedantic Text "All is Brahman" means that the world is real as the Self. However, if one regards the world as non-Self, it is not real. This is profound. Everything, whether we call it illusion, ignorance, or Divine Play (Lila), must be within the Self and not apart from it.  So, world, body, non-Self, et al, are within the very Swarupa (the Self)!!! What a great clue for all earnest practisers of the Path of Atma-vichara!

Beautiful expressions Sri Anil Ji,

Yes it is Lila. This Lila is the Shakti Manifestation. Lalita Parameswari. It also reminds me of "Nasadiya Sukta" from Rig Veda.

Bhagavan says:

You are yourself the tattva. Is there a different one to know the tattva of another? How can you exist apart from the tattva? The very fact of your existence makes you ask this question. Your very existence is the tattva. Give up the habiliments of the tattva and remain in your essential nature. All the Scriptures tell you only not to waste your efforts in non-truth - non-tattva. Give up the nontattva. Then tattva remains always shining pure and single.

In all Bhagavan's quotes, i always only like to again and again mention the trickery of language which conveys as some action to be done "Give up the habiliments of the tattva and remain in your essential nature" These are want of better words! How does one "Give up" and How does one "Remain in essential nature"

We can best say it is a Re-Cognition (recognition) What to give up, How to remain! Who gives up, Who remains?

You have said it beautifully - "just as a thorn is used to take out another that is embedded" similalry like a stick is used to burn the corpse is itself put into the fire! Like a Camphor burns is fire, is itself consumed to leave ho residue! This is the principle behind the usage of Vibhuti-Tripundra (Bhasma) Bhagavan used to adorn on his forehead.

Thanks my friend.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: June 11, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »
Dear Sri Anil Ji,

The whole essence is summed up in the below Vedic Mantra:

ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदं पूर्णात्पुर्णमुदच्यते
पूर्णस्य​ पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ॥

ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

Meaning:

1: Om, That (Outer World) is Purna (Full with Divine Consciousness); This (Inner World) is also Purna (Full with Divine Consciousness); From Purna comes Purna (From the Fullness of Divine Consciousness the World is manifested),
2: Taking Purna from Purna, Purna Indeed Remains (Because Divine Consciousness is Non-Dual and Infinite).

3: Om Peace, Peace, Peace.

(Source)

Jivatman that we has has emerged from the Paramatman is Purna indeed. What comes from Purna is Purna only!

my little interpretation -

This is Purna (and) That is Purna
From Purna, Purna only comes
From Purna, (even if some of it - 'Purnam') is taken out, (then also) only Purnam alone remains as residue
Peace Peace Peace

This sense of difference that one feels, the Jivatma Bhava, Dehatma Bhava is here known to be Purnam itself. Also the Shad Vikaras, the 6 vices known collectively as the 'Ego' are naturally harmonised if this Truth is known Here and Now. These qualities are known as Vikaras only when Jivabrahma-Aikya is broken, otherwise, these qualities become virtues by verily being the Purnam.

--
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:21:08 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: June 12, 2016, 02:12:34 PM »
ॐ पूर्णमदः पूर्णमिदं पूर्णात्पुर्णमुदच्यते
पूर्णस्य पूर्णमादाय पूर्णमेवावशिष्यते ॥

Dear  Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Thank you so much for drawing my attention to the profound scriptural revelation. I am also fully aware that that such profundity is possible and can emanate only from one who has intuitive understanding of and an insight into the subject-matter.
Before I came to Sri Bhagwan, this profound revelation intrigued me, partly for want of my ability to fully understand and grasp the import of the scriptural Text, and partly because I sensed the enormity and profundity of the significance of the Revelation from whatever little I understood then.

However, as I practiced Sri Bhagwan's Vichara, clouds began to disperse and I were left in no doubt whatever as to the import, and significance of this Vedantic Text, for all devotees and seekers.

Everywhere, in every one of Its apparent parts, in Its every seeming divisions, Self or Brahman is full. For, from the stand-point of Jnana or Knowledge, all differences, all parts and all divisions are not real, they all are illusory, they have no being. Self-- Full, Eternal, All-pervading and Omnipotent-- is what Is. This is why Sri Bhagwan taught: "You are the Self (Purnam,Full, wholeness and Perfection-anil). You exist always. Nothing more can be predicated of the Self than that It exists." And if the Self is what exists alone, indeed, there cannot be anything like realizing or becoming it, but only being the Self and that is myself, yourself and himself.

Dear friend , Sri Nagaraj Ji, Sri Bhagwan has thus taught that though the Self always Is, but knowledge of It is obstructed and the obstruction is called ignorance. If we remove the ignorance, Knowledge shines forth. However, It is not the Self which has knowledge or ignorance, they are only accretions to be cleared away. This is how the Self is said to be beyond knowledge and ignorance, and bondage and liberation. Despite this paradox, Sri Bhagwan always stressed the need for the effort : "As often as the mind goes outward, stop it and fix it in the Self or 'I', from the start to the finish. That is all the effort required on your part."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, the Truth of non-Becoming as stated by the great Sage, Sri Gaudapada in Mandukya Karika that the world did not come into being nor it is going to be destroyed; no one called the individual soul really was ever born; there is neither a bound one, nor one that has become free; nor is there any aspirant.

Therefore, the attainment of  WHOLENESS  AND  PERFECTION   (PURNAM)  BY  PRACTICE  OF  SOME  SADHANA   SEEMS  TO  BE  TRUE  ONLY  IN  THE  EMPIRICAL  SENSE  IN  RELATION  TO  THE  RELATIVE  OR  IMPIRICAL  WORLD.  In my view, considering this only we say that Sri Bhagwan attained Wholeness and Perfection in a single act of Self-enquiry during the famous Death-Experience.

Thanks again, my dear friend, Sri Nagaraj Ji, for some wonderful post!!
Pranam
  Anil           
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:54:44 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: June 12, 2016, 03:22:40 PM »
Quote:
"My last question on Sraddha (Faith) is: Sri Bhagwan has taught that Sraddha, Grace and Self are synonymous.  Grace is in the beginning, middle and in the end of Sadhana. How Sraddha (Faith) is indispensible to make the aspirant pursue and progress in Self-enquiry? As I understand, Sri Bhagwan says that there is no one who does not have Faith in oneself. If one lacks Faith (Sraddha) in oneself, or one's being, one will not understand and one will not pursue it."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji and Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that  'Faith' is in things unknown. One may call the Ultimate Reality by whatever Name one likes and may say that he has faith in it or love it. However, everyone is aware here of the oft-repeated Sri Bhagwan's line, which is the pith and core of His Teaching:' Leave aside God who is not known (Faith in unknown thing), Self is self-evident. Even the greatest egoist cannot deny his own existence, that is in effect to say, cannot deny his Self.' Therefore, generally we call the Ultimate Reality by such and such Names and say that we have Faith in those Names and love them. This is so very good and this is one of the most efficacious sadhana devotees and seekers have been pursuing and succeeding from time memorial. Yet, Sri Bhagwan  has taught that no one can deny his own existence or being, and there is no one who does not have  FAITH  in his own existence, there is no one who does not have love for himself (everyone is dear because of love for the Self or Swarupa).

THAT  IS  BECAUSE  FAITH  AND  LOVE  ARE  OUR  REAL  NATURE!!!

And Faith and Love deepen as we progress on the Path. Why? Because by sadhana our mind is purified, and we intuitively begin to sense the Intuitive 'I', or the Self or the Swarupa, and our real nature as Faith and Love begins to manifest outwardly as well, that is, in whatever actions and things we are engaged in.

Srimad Bhgavad Gita teaches that he that loves the Truth and subdues his whole being to the love of Truth, shall find It. Self is the only Truth, that is, oneSelf. Therefore, it follows that we must to see to it that we remain always devoted to the Truth and the Truth alone. 
But, dear devotees, this is possible only if we renounce the love we bear at present to our myriad false beliefs, so that we may find the Truth reigning supreme in our hearts.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil           
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:28:26 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: June 12, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
D: But one may not be quite sure of God's Grace.
Sri Bhagwan: If the unripe mind does not feel God's Grace, it does not mean that this is absent, for that would imply that God is at times not gracious, that is to say, ceases to be God.

Dear devotees, Sri Bahgwan has taught elsewhere that God's Grace is the same as the conscious immediacy of His Divine Presence, which, again, is the same as Enlightenment or Revelation. And one's ignorance of this self-revealing immediacy of Divine Presence is no proof to the contrary. If the owl does not see the sun that illumines the whole world, it is certainly due to defectiveness in the owl's sight, and it is certainly not the sun's fault. The Supreme Lord is the Eternal Grace. Only thing: The questioner here, in my view,is simply not aware that turning to God and desiring His Grace is itself Grace!
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:51:04 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: June 13, 2016, 10:09:01 AM »
Quote from my previous post:
"Sri Bahgwan has taught elsewhere that God's Grace is the same as the conscious immediacy of His Divine Presence, which, again, is the same as Enlightenment or Revelation. And one's ignorance of this self-revealing immediacy of Divine Presence is no proof to the contrary. If the owl does not see the sun that illumines the whole world, it is certainly due to defectiveness in the owl's sight, and it is certainly not the sun's fault. The Supreme Lord is the Eternal Grace. Only thing: The questioner here, in my view,is simply not aware that turning to God and desiring His Grace is itself Grace!"

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught the Self is Grace. Here He says that God's Grace is the same as the Conscious Immediacy of His Divine Presence, and that is what Enlightenment is. Therefore, it follows that Grace is nothing but the Supreme Lord seated and abiding in the Heart as the Self. The Lord, abiding as the Self, in the Heart, is ever beckoning and ever bestowing Grace, and our ignorance of the same is no proof at all to the contrary.  Hence, turning irreversibly to God  is Grace,  meditating on That which Is (Self), in the Heart,  is showering of His Grace, and culmination of efforts into knowing or being the Self is the embodiment of Grace. This is, in my view, the truth of Grace, as revealed by Bhagwan Sri Ramana. This is why He assured one and all that Grace is always there (for there is no time when He is not), our duty is to enquire or surrender, and know and be what really we are!
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:11:18 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: June 13, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »
And one's ignorance of this self-revealing immediacy of Divine Presence is no proof to the contrary. If the owl does not see the sun that illumines the whole world, it is certainly due to defectiveness in the owl's sight, and it is certainly not the sun's fault. The Supreme Lord is the Eternal Grace. Only thing: The questioner here, in my view,is simply not aware that turning to God and desiring His Grace is itself Grace!"

Dear Sri Anil Ji,

Nice thoughts! Just one point i would like to make, which would add value to your observation. It is not the defectiveness of the owl's sight, but the very owl itself is defective! To illustrate further with a better example, if we take the Rope-Snake scenario, is it the defect of the Snake that it is unable to see the Rope? The very snake itself is the defect!

Bhagavan beautifully illustrated this to Velacheri Ranga Iyer:

One day I told Bhagwan, "Bhagwan has no Grace for me." Bhagwan replied, "Your statement is like that of a man who, standing in the huge floods of the Ganges, complains he is thirsty, and desires a bottle of tap water may be sent to him from Tanjore."

--
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:43:02 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: June 13, 2016, 11:03:39 AM »
Dear Sri Anil ji, this is the other version of the same essence -

in some instance, when some devotee came to Bhagavan and was crying about his difficulties then an ashram inmate, to console this devotee by saying "its like Being in the shore of Ganges, you are crying out of thirst!" Muruganar just walks in and quotes from some old tamil verse to that devotee, "its like as if you are neck deep in th ganges water itself and are crying out of thirst"

Bhagavan who was silently looking at all these, said to Muruganar and to the other devotees "Apdi illa voi" "Its like as if Ganges herself is crying out of thirst".

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: June 13, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »
Quote:
"To illustrate further with a better example, if we take the Rope-Snake scenario, is it the defect of the Snake that it is unable to see the Rope? The very snake itself is the defect!"

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, yes, this is a new and beautiful insight into the rope-snake simile. As the snake is unable to see the rope, the substratum, for the snake itself obviously is the defect; likewise, the jiva is unable to see the Substratum, that is, the Self or  Brahman, for, the jiva itself is the defect! Again, on investigation, the snake merges in the rope, and what remains is only the rope; so also, on Enquiry, the jiva merges in the Substratum, that is, the Self or Brahman, and what remains, pure and simple, is only the Self or Brahman.

Thanks very much, dear friend.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: June 13, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
Quote:
"One day I told Bhagwan, "Bhagwan has no Grace for me." Bhagwan replied, "Your statement is like that of a man who, standing in the huge floods of the Ganges, complains he is thirsty, and desires a bottle of tap water may be sent to him from Tanjore.""

Quote:
"Bhagavan who was silently looking at all these, said to Muruganar and to the other devotees "Apdi illa voi" "Its like as if Ganges herself is crying out of thirst"."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

The above quotes remind me of the following conversation:

Sri Bhagwan: ..............................................................   . There is no greater mystery than this--viz. ourselves being the Reality we seek to gain Reality. We think that there is something hiding our Reality and it must be destroyed before the Reality is gained. It is ridiculous. A day will dawn when you will yourself laugh at your past efforts. That which will be on the day you laugh is also here and now.
D: So it is a great game of pretending?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes.
In Yoga Vasishta it is said, "What is Real (rope and the Self or Brahman-anil) is hidden from us, but what is false (snake and the jiva-anil), is revealed as true." We are actually experiencing the Reality only; still, we do not know it. Is it not a wonder of wonders?
Talk--146

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, that 'we are always experiencing the Reality only' is a great clue, and one can contemplate and meditate on this to one's great benefit. To perceive all, that is, whatever we are experiencing, as the Self or the Swarupa is called 'Pravilapa Drishti'. If one perceives thus, effect is resolved into the cause, or such perception, that is, seeing all as the Self, is, in fact, remembering the verity that underlies the variety. As bubbles, froth, waves, etc., all rising from the ocean are seen as the ocean itself, so also one can see all, world, jivas, et al, as the Self or Swarupa! 'Pravilapa Drishti' is said to be Jnana Itself.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Nagaraj Ji.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:50:30 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: June 13, 2016, 03:58:45 PM »
D: Can destiny (karma) ever come to an end?
Sri Bhagwan: The karmas carry the seeds of their own destruction in themselves.
Talk--11

Dear devotees, can anyone kindly take the trouble to explain as to how do the karmas in themselves carry the seeds of their own destruction?
Pranam,
  Anil