Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758536 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4410 on: June 14, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »
Dear Devotees,

As those who have not practiced Atma-Vichara or the Self-enquiry  may think that Vichara is mere reasoning or analysis, I wish to share my understanding that Vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan is not merely reasoning nor analysing the tattvas, etc,  but  it is directly looking into oneself, and realizing who one really is.

Those who practice Sri Bhagwan's Vichara sincerely and earnestly, I am certain, will learn soon enough to adore the self by the self, worship the self by the self, behold the self by the self, and has only one desire, that is, to be firmly established in the self by the self. Seeking the self with the self through pure enquiry is, in my view, the real self-effort to realize the Self.   

Thanks very m uch.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:53:00 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: June 14, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I have had a copy of the original Yoga Vasishta Maha Ramayana of the great Sage Sri Valmiki, in two volumes, for a long time now, but I never endeavoured to earnestly go through it and thus help myself. However, of late, I secured a copy of the Yoga Vasistha, translated by Sri Venkatesananda of the Divine Life Society, Rishikesh, and now and then I study in all sincerity and earnestness a few Verses from the same. I am a little surprised by so much emphasis the Sage Sri Vasishta has laid on  enquiry in His Teaching and Instruction to Sri Rama. For instance, the great Sage taught that Sri Janaka attained whatever he did by dint of his own enquiry.  He taught Sri Rama to pursue similarly his own enquiry into the nature of truth TILL  HE  REACHED  THE  VERY  LIMITS  OF  SUCH  ENQUIRY. Similarly,  the Great Sage illustrated the example of the great Bhakta Prahlada and revealed that whatever the great Bhakta attained was by dint of his own enquiry and due to naught else.  Yes, I must admit that all this is wonderful, and I am wonder-struck.

Sage Sri Vasishta to Sri Rama:
"O Rama, thus do enquire into the nature of the self, even as Janaka did. Neither god, nor rites and any rituals or any action nor wealth nor relatives are of any use in this; to those who are afraid of the world illusion only self-effort as self-enquiry is capable of bringing about self-knowledge. This ocean of world-appearance can be crossed only when you are firmly established in supreme wisdom, when you see the self with self alone and when your intelligence is not diverted or coloured by sense-perceptions.
Thus have I narrated to you how king Janaka attained self-knowledge as if by an act of grace which caused the knowledge to drop from heaven, as it were. When the limited and conditioned feeling 'I am so and so' ceases, there arises consciousness of the all-pervading infinite. Hence, O Rama, like Janaka, you too abandon in your heart the false and fanciful notion of the ego sense."
Source: Yoga Vasistha, translated by Swami Sri Venkatesananda   

Dear devotees, we too need to undergo ceaseless enquiry, and through it, need to abandon in our heart the false, treacherous and phantom-like notion of the ego-sense which robs us of our essential nature as Sat-Chit-Ananda. Remember, there is no bondage other than fictitious ego's craving for going on acquiring beyond limits and the anxiety to avoid what we consider undesirable.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:20:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: June 15, 2015, 10:21:27 AM »
Dear Devotees,

What is the form of the enquiry that Sage Sri Vasishta has taught to Sri Rama? Let us go through the following passages from the Yoga Vasishta patiently and make out for ourselves:

Enquiry should be undertaken by an intelligence that has been purified by a close study of scripture, and this enquiry should be unbroken. By such enquiry the intelligence becomes keen and is able to realise the supreme; hence enquiry is the best remedy for the long-lasting illness known as samsara.

The wise man regards strength, intellect, efficiency and timely action as fruits of enquiry. Indeed kingdom, prosperity and enjoyment, as well as final liberation, are all the fruits of enquiry. The spirit of enquiry protects one from the calamities that befall the unthinking fool. When the mind has been rendered dull by the absence of enquiry, even the cool rays of the moon turn into deadly weapons, and the childish imagination throws up a goblin in every spot. Hence, the non-enquiring fool is really a store-house of sorrow. It is absence of enquiry that gives rise to actions that are harmful to oneself and to others, and so to numerous psychosomatic illness. Therefore, one should avoid the company of such unthinking people.   

They in whom the spirit of enquiry is ever awake illumine the world, enlighten all who come in contact with them, dispel the ghosts created by an ignorant mind, and realise the falsity of sense pleasures and their objects. O Rama, in the light of enquiry there is realisation of the eternal and unchanging reality; this is the supreme. With it one does not long for any other gain nor does one spurn anything. He is free from delusion, attachment; he is not inactive nor does he get drowned in action; he lives and functions in this world and at the end of a natural life-span he reaches the blissful state of total freedom.

The eye of spiritual enquiry does not lose its sight even in the midst of all activities; he who does not have this eye is indeed to be pitied. It is better to be born as a frog in the mud, a worm in dung, a snake in a hole, but not be one without this eye. What is enquiry? "Who Am I? How has this evil of samsara come into being?" is true enquiry. Knowledge of truth arises from such enquiry; from such knowledge there follows tranquillity in oneself; and then arises the supreme peace that passeth understanding, and the ending of all sorrow.
Source: Yoga Vasistha, translated by Swami Sri Vekatesananda

Thus, in my view, dear devotees, the enquiry that Sage Sri Vasishta taught to Sri Rama was neither mere reasoning nor analysis, but it is also directly looking into oneself and seeking one's Source, and upon reaching the Source, merging into It and remaining as the Self. From what I have gathered reading this book, the enquiry enjoined by the great Sage Sri Vasishta is more or less similar to the one taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana Himself.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:47:23 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: June 15, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
Swami Sri Madhavatirtha:
The notion that 'I' is the first and ultimate name of God is one that is central to an understanding of the Maharshi's teachings on the nature of God and the means by which one can reach him. During my visit another visitor who asked about japa received confirmation of this:

Q: At present I am meditating on the form of an idol, and I am also doing japa in accordance with the instruction I have received from my guru. Am I or am I not fit to conduct the enquiry  of 'Who am I?' ?
M: 'I'  IS  ALSO  THE  GURU  MANTRA.  It is said in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad that the first name of God is 'I'. 'Aham nama abhavat' ('I becomes the name'). Om  came later. Atman always performs the japa of 'I, I'. Without the performer of the japa, no body knows the japa. Everybody constantly does the japa of 'I'. By concentrating on that 'I' meditation will improve. The result of such meditation is knowledge. Even so, if you wish to continue meditation on a form, you may do so. The sadhana that is suitable for a person is the proper method for him.

Source: The Power Of The Presence.

Dear Devotees, everybody constantly does the japa of 'I'--I do, I eat, I perfom yoga, I worship, I do japa, --the japa of 'I' thus goes on. Concentration on that 'I' bestows unfailingly the awareness of being, of the existence. It confers Knowledge.  However, even if it is so,  if one wishes one may continue to meditate on a form or worship a form, or may engage in whatever practice is temperamentally suitable. for one. There is no harm, for they will also ultimately lead to Goal, if performed sincerely, with love and longing for the Divine.   

Having said as the above, I wish to add that now we know with absolute certainty that the father of our personal 'I' is the real I-God. Isn't it? We now know further that if we try to find out the source of the individual 'I', then we will surely reach the other 'I', that is, the Real I-God.

Thanks very much.
Pranam
  Anil

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:50:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: June 16, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
Seeing oneself free of all attributes
Is to see the Lord,
For He shines ever as the pure Self.
V. 25, Upadesa Saram

Sri Bhagwan: "In the name of service to the Guru, they should not waste their time in activities and become disappointed later. Such people will have cause to regret their ignorance in their last days. One should not forget, even for a moment, the aim of satsanga. Having the belief that residence in the ashram will make realisation, which is most difficult to achieve in other places, easy to attain, one should always remain intent upon the realisation of one's true nature. There is no meaning in people who are not interested in that Self-realisation taking this place to be special place. The spiritual service that devotees render to themselves by exerting themselves on the spiritual path for the attainment of their goal--that alone is sacred service to the Guru."

Sadhu Sri Natanananda: "Through these words Hemade it clear that He could not be pleased by anything other than stilling the mind. The real benefit of coming to Him was the subsidence of the mind. Because of this, He would exhort devotees to try to attend to the Self all the time."
Source: Power of the Presence

Dear devotees, I also feel that while one is in one's Guru Ashram, one may engage in some ashram activities, if opportunity to serve comes one's way.  However, in no circumstance, whatever, one should forget the prime purpose of one's visit to the Guru Ashram, which is only and only the realisation of one's true nature, and nauhgt else. I feel that once this is assimilated, "what one should do and what one should not do", during one's stay in the Guru Ashram, will follow of their accord. Such is my conviction.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:48:26 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: June 16, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
In continuation with my previous post:

Sadhu Sri Natanananda has narrated thus:

A gentle man from the West was once sweeping up the leaf plates that were lying outside the ahram dining room. Sri Bhagwan, who happened to come there at that time, asked the devotee what his aim was in undertaking that act.
The devotee replied, "Since my arrival at the ashram, till today, I have not had any opportunity to render any service in the ashram. Thinking that I may get redeemed by performing at least this humble act, which no one else performed, I decided to do this."
Sri Bhagwan told him, "Is sweeping the used leaf plates the means to get salvation? Is it to perform this tapas that you have come here all the way from abroad? Go! Go! Enough of doing this kind of service!  GO  INSIDE ,  SIT  TO  ONE  SIDE,  TURN  YOUR  MIND  INWARD  AND  FIND  OUT  HE  WHO  WANTS  TO  BE  SAVED.  The service of purifying you heart is alone the highest service. That alone can truly redeem you. "

Sadhu Sri Natanananda has observed thus:
In this way Sri Bhagwan explained the truth of tapas to him.
Physical service to the Guru has always been highly esteemed, as the following two verses show:

The ancient scriptures proclaim that those who have served a jivanmukta are deemed to have fulfilled all the vows to please Siva, Brahma and Vishnu, and have made their birth blessed.
O Supreme! If you make me fit to serve you devotees, the state of bliss will automatically be attained by me.

When such statements extol service to the great ones, what is the meaning of Sri Bhagwan's remarks that imply that the time spent in service is wasted?

Service rendered with devotion to the great ones is also performed with an eye on the result. Its purpose is salvation, which can be obtained by the gracious look of the Guru. But the Guru's Grace is earned by inner tapas and not by services rendered outside. Only worshipping the Self is worshipping the Guru. Service to the Guru in the form of reflecting on one's true nature can be performed at all places and at all times.  ALL  ONE  NEEDS  FOR  THIS  SERVICE  IS  EEARNESTNESS  AND  DEVOTION.
Source: Power  of  the  Presence

Dear Devotees,

Yes, indeed.  Devotion to and deep love for the Guru leads one to striving hard on the Path taught by Him, which culminates in intense inner tapas, resulting in jettisoning of the ego-I or complete surrender, and in my view, this is how  the Guru's Grace is vouchsafed.   Sri Bhagwan  taught through the last Verse of the Upadesa Saram (V. 30) that glow of the  Self devoid of ego-I is the greatest Tapas.  Glow of the Self is possible only  when the 'I'-thought or the ego-sense is done away with.  Doing away with the transient ego-sense culminating in the glow of the Self therefore is the greatest Tapas. This is the essence of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching. And in my view, like in the view of so many of His old and new devotees, Self-enquiry is the simplest, safest, straight and direct means for discovering this State.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:51:26 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

James

« Reply #4416 on: June 17, 2015, 05:36:43 AM »
this thread has been going for nearly 90 pages, i think it can be dealt with in a single post  ;) (wink)

if you can remain still, self-enquiry is enough
if you cant, self-enquiry is not enough

kind regards

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: June 17, 2015, 08:42:03 AM »
Dear Sri James,

Welcome to this Forum!

Quote:
"this thread has been going for nearly 90 pages, i think it can be dealt with in a single post  (wink)"

Will you kindly elaborate as to what do you actually mean? I started this topic, as I said before on many occasions, as part of my own sadhana, to share understanding and experience with those who actually practiced it, and not engage ungainfully in mere intellectual polemics and arguments, and I shall continue to write something of and on here till the ego-mind is completely surrendered at His Lotus Feet, and Silence alone prevails. 

Quote:
"if you can remain still, self-enquiry is enough
if you cant, self-enquiry is not enough"

Dear Sri James, I do not know what is your understanding and experience, as far as practice of the Self-enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is concerned. However, I wish to say that as per my understanding and experience, even if one is not able to do away with the thought-waves in the initial stage of its practice, but nevertheless, is able to do it, and feels well while doing it, one must continue with this supremely beneficial practice, for the Self-enquiry, in my view also, is the best preparation for the Self-enquiry.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:44:18 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

James

« Reply #4418 on: June 17, 2015, 09:13:33 AM »

Dear Sri James, Welcome to this Forum!

Thank you Sir, for your welcome.

"this thread has been going for nearly 90 pages, i think it can be dealt with in a single post  ;) (wink)"

The wink means I am jesting about the 90 pages, and the comment is not to be taken seriously, but is light-hearted.

"even if one is not able to do away with the thought-waves in the initial stage of its practice, but nevertheless, is able to do it, and feels well while doing it, one must continue with this supremely beneficial practice,..."

I agree whole-heartedly with your view.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: June 17, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »
Q: Should one keep a goal  before one's eyes?
Sri Bhagwan: What goal is there ? The thing you conceive as being the goal, exists even prior to the ego's own existence. If we conceive ourselves as ego, or body or mind, then we are those things. But if we do not conceive as such then we are our real nature. It is the thinking which gives rise to such troubles. The very thought that there is such a thing as ego is wrong, because ego is I-thought and we ourselves the real 'I'. The thoughtless state is itself realisation.
Conscious Immortality

Dear devotees, when the ego-mind is investigated, it is eliminated, being mere thoughts, and spaceless and eternal 'we' alone remain. Therefore, the question is indeed only one of outlook. Sri Bhagwan says that when we see ourselves, all are understood. We have lost hold of our own Self and go about seeking and doubting other things. It is the thought that works up appearances in so many ways. But we are not the fleeting thoughts, we are the Existence-Consciousness That abides as the Supreme Self--all-pervading and forever.  So, all we have to do is to realise our own Self, eliminating by proper sadhana the fleeting and transient ego which is but a thought after all. Oh! it is wonderful and blissful to know  that the very thought that there is such a thing as ego is wrong! Why? BECAUSE  EGO  IS  MERE I-THOUGHT  WHEREAS   WE  OURSELVES  ARE  REAL 'I'!! Isn't it ludicrous then to set a goal as far as realisation of the Atma-swarupa is concerned?
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:31:15 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: June 18, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »
Dear  Devotees,

Devotees of Sri Bhagwan must be knowing rather well that Sri Bhagwan revealed the meaning of tapas at the very Outset of His Divine Advent, to Sri Ganapati Muni, in 1907. 

Dear devotees, before the great Devotee and Scholar, Sri Ganapati Muni came to Sri Bhagwan, he had about sixty disciples of his own. Most of them are said to have been lawyers, writers and scholars. All people used to fall at his feet and regarded him as a mahamuni. However, once he is reported to have said thus: "In those days so many people used to do namaskaram to me. One day, when I thought about this, I got the feeling, 'What is the difference between them and me?' Nothing. What have I attained or known except that I have read a lot? I  HAVE  ONLY  TORTURED  MY  BODY  THROUGH  EXERCISES  IN  DETACHMENT,  THINKING  THIS  TO  BE  TAPAS.  But nothing more  have I newly understood. "

Sri Muni has said that it was at this stage that the remembrance of Sri Bhagwan came to him spontaneously and love welled up in his heart for him, and suddenly he got this emotional feeling of bhakti for Him. Before coming to Sri Bhagwan he had decided not to bend before any human being because he considered himself an incarnation of Lord Ganesha.  However, when he approached  Sri Bhagwan, he prostrated in a manner as enjoined by the Scripture. Sadhu Sri Natanananda has reminisced thus:

This newly discovered spirit of devotion impelled him (Sri Muni) towards Virupaksha Cave. Finding Bhagwan sitting on a bench outside the Cave, he prostrated himself on the ground and caught hold of Bhagwan's Feet. He crossed his arms so that his right hand would touch Bhagwan's right foot and his left hand the left foot.
Many years later, while I was sitting in Bhagwan's Hall, I heard Ganapati Muni explain, "If I had not crossed my hands, my left hand would have caught Bhagwan's right foot. This according to the sastras, would have been wrong."
After introducing himself Ganapati Muni explained his problem to Bhagwan: "I have read all the sastras, performed japa of the famous mantras, observed hundreds of penances and austerities. Yet I have had no realisation. Is my tapas tainted? I am said to be learned man, yet I do not know. I take refuge in you. Help me!"
After gazing at him in silence for some time, Bhagwan gave His answer:
"If one observes that from which the 'I-I' rises, the mind will subside there. THAT  IS  TAPAS."
Ganapati Muni immediately replied, 'Cannot the same result be obtained through mantra japa as well?"
Sri Bhagwan answered, "If, while one is doing japa of a mantra, one observes where the sound of that mantra rises from, the mind will subside there. THAT  IS  TAPAS. "
Source: The Power of the Presence

Dear devotees, therefore, knowing oneself, having given up attributes, that is, one recognising one's real nature as mere Existence-Consciousness-Bliss, alone is true Tapas. To understand and actually experience as to how the Self-attention itself is transformed into Self-Awareness is indeed the true Tapas.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil             
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:20:10 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: June 19, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
Sadhu Sri Natanananda:
While I was engaged in this search (search for the vision of God and finding a Guru-anil) I heard about the extraordinary greatness of Bhagwan Sri Ramana through a holy person whom  I happened to meet at Perumbudur. On 2nd May 1918, I saw Sri Ramana for the first time at Skandashram on Arunachala.
I beseeched Him fervently in the following words: "It is my great desire that I should actually experience your gracious wisdom. Kindly fulfil my desire."
In those days Sri Ramana was not speaking much. Still, He spoke kindly as follows: "Is it the body in front of me that desires to obtain my grace? Or is it the awareness within it? If it is the awareness, is it not now looking upon itself as the body and making this request? If so, let the awareness first of all know its real nature. It will then automatically know God and my grace. The truth of this can be realised even here and now."
Besides speaking like this, He also explained it in the following way, using examples from my daily experience that I could understand and relate to.
"It is not the body that desires to obtain the grace. Therefore, it is clear that it is the awareness that shines here as 'you'. To you who are the nature of awareness there is no connection during sleep with the body, the senses, the life force (prana) and the mind. On waking up you identify yourself with them, even without your knowledge. This is your experience. All that you have to do hereafter is see that you do not identify yourself with them. In the states of waking and dream try to remain as you were in the state of deep sleep. As you are by nature unattached, you have to convert the state of ignorant deep sleep, in which you were formless and unattached, into conscious deep sleep. It is only by doing this that you can remain established in your real nature. You should never forget that this experience will come only through long practice. This experience will make it clear that your real nature is not different from the nature of God."
Source: The Power of the Presence   

Dear devotees, our sleep-experience, in my view, is central to understanding and practicing Sri Bhagwan's  Atma-vichara, and this is particularly so in the advanced stages of its practice. The same person who slept happily, on waking up, identifies with the body, senses, prana, mind  and myriad objects. People, in general, do not obviously know  that they are of the nature of awareness who has no connection with these insentient body, senses, prana, mind etc.

Dear devotees, after reading so many reminiscences of great, old  devotees as well as reading the accounts of those devotees who came to Him after His Mahasamadhi,  I have reached the understanding that most of the devotees, in their first meeting with Sri Bhagwan itself, understood beyond doubt, and many of them even actually experienced, that they were indeed of the nature of awareness . This is the 'grant of existence-consciousness', Sri Bhagwan speaks of, which is the manifestation of Guru's Grace, and  which acts as initiation, and makes His Teaching easy to understand, assimilate and practice.
Dear devotees, when all of a sudden I became aware of Sri Bhagwan's Presence, as the Guru-Tattva within, I also became simultaneously overcome with the excitement of dawning of knowledge that I am indeed of the nature of awareness ! 
Pranam,
 Anil 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:57:32 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: June 30, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Guru is Ishvara or God, for Satchidananda alone is the Guru. The Guru who appears  externally and seems to move among us  is in truth none other than Supreme Being Himself who shines as the Self. It follows therefore that, Self being the Guru, Guru-Principle or Tattava is always in operation for everyone, and none indeed is left out and bereft of the Guru's Grace which is  always there, for, undoubtedly, His Divine Plan is in place, for everyone, everybody is to be saved, attaining Freedom and Bliss.

Dear devotees, having said as above,  I wish to submit that so long as the mind is full of maddening thoughts and doubts, it is everybody's experience that it is not able to listen to the 'TRUTH' being proclaimed eternally within our hearts, by the Ultimate Self. Isn't it? Hence, in my view, allegiance (fidelity) to one Guru, who attracts and bestows peace and directs towards the Self and grants existence-consciousness,  is imperative for Self-Knowledge.   Why, not only the Guru, but allegiance to His Teaching as the main sravana and contemplation there upon, in my view, is absolutely necessary.

Dear devotees, the worship of the Lotus Feet of such a Guru is essential to achieve all-important concentration and to control the mind from craving for the sensual pleasures and to abide in the Guru's Feet only, and thus get rid of the ego  and attain the highest Goal of attaining non-difference with the Guru. Till that time one should cling to the one Guru, worship Him always,  have great love for His lotus feet in one's heart , and last but not the least, practice His Teaching diligently and steadfastly. This is the way. This is the effort which manifests sometimes as the bhakti and love for the Guru and at other times  in the form of Enquiry!

Sri Bhagwan: "If one resorts to contemplation of the Self unintermittently, until the Self is gained, that alone would do."

Dear devotees, when I read and hear that one should ceaselessly think of the Supreme Lord, I always remember Sri Bhagwan's above Teaching. Supreme Lord shines and abides as the Self. THEREFORE ,  INDEED,   THE  EASIEST   WAY  TO  THINK  OF  THE  SUPREME  LORD  INCESSANTLY  IS  TO  ULTIMATELY   RESORT  TO  THE  ENQUIRY  "WHO  AM  I?" This is profound, profound love and bhakti for the Divine or the Supreme Lord or the Self--the ATAM-SWARUPA!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:58:20 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: June 30, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »
Contd from my previous post:

Dear devotees, so, we see that even Sri Rama had one Guru who was the great Sage Sri Vashishta.  When asked, and the push came to a shove, even Sri Bhagwan admitted Sri Arunachala as His Guru. And it is in the spiritual folklore in this part of the country that Divine Mother Herself sent Sri Totapuri, at last, as the Jnana Guru to confer Jnana on Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa.  And last but not the least, we should remember that even Sri Vivekananda had only Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa as his Jnana Guru. Hence, allegiance (fidelity) to one Jnana Guru who is only the outer manifestation of the Pure Self, and which happens for a divine purpose, and His Teaching is, in my view, absolutely essential, at least till one is fully attuned intuitively to the Inner Teaching going on and being proclaimed eternally, forever.   

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:52:01 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: June 30, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
Sadhu  Sri Natanananda:

Knowing oneself, having given up adjuncts, is itself knowing God because He shines as one's Self.
V. 25, Upadesa Saram

Thus, Self-realisation, which appeared to be rare and difficult to attain, even for the rishis of yore such as Suka, was demonstrated as an experience natural to all by Sri Bhagwan, who shone as the bestower of Jnana and redeemed all.

Dear Devotees,

How true!  Knowing oneself is knowing God!  And what can indeed be better than the Enquiry 'Who am I?' to know oneself? Please tell me, can there be anything better? Thus, Sri Bhagwan not only demonstrated but established for once and all that there was  really no God apart from one who sees Him, and that one's own being is  truly God's Being. Proclaiming thus the  divine nature of man, Sri Bhagwan   revealed that being was thus both the Self as well as God.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:56:16 PM by eranilkumarsinha »