Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 767927 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4230 on: February 17, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »
Friends,

This is how Sri Bhagavan begins his tamil translation of Sri Adi Sankaracharya's Atma Bodha:

Can Shankara, the enlightener of the Self, be different from one's own Self? Who but he, does this day, abiding as the inmost Self in me, speak this in the Tamil language?

The Guru is the Self.This Self is Sri Sankara,Sri Ramanuja,Sri Madhwa,Sri Ramakrishna,Sri Bhagavan.
What then is ekanishta?It is to grasp one teaching firmly and putting it into practice until it yields the intended result.This is how Sri Ramakrishna describes this through the parable of the pearl oyster:

Parable of pearl oyster
"One should have faith in the holy name given by the guru and with it practise spiritual discipline. It is said that the pearl oyster makes itself ready for the rain that falls when the star Svati is in the ascendant. Taking a drop of that rain, it dives into the fathomless depths of the ocean and remains there until the pearl is formed."

This does not mean that we 'should not' visit or study the teachings of other great ones.We may do all that and in a way it does help to breakdown mental formations and images that we may be clinging to-something that we may be imagining as 'Fidelity'.
I know people who say-'I do not visit any other Ashram other than that of my guru.I do not even visit temples'.Yet we find these very same persons do not mind visiting anyone for a job or visiting  Hotels or places of tourist interest!

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: February 17, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
Dear Friends,

Here below, i present Sri Bhagavan's assertion of 3 paths - Jnana (Vichara), Bhakti and Yoga - Being end to themselves. Therefore, it is not so that one who is not fit for Enquiry has to do Bhakti, Yoga and then become fit to practice Self Enquiry inorder to realise the Self. Each Path, themselves is as Direct as any other. Just the temperament varies from aspirants owing to ones past Samskaras. I hope, the long drawn debate over the Direct path is now doused. Infact, Sri Anil ji, this was a subject matter of difference I have been having with you as well in the past (This post).

An examination of the ephemeral nature of external phenomena leads to vairagya [dispassion; non-attachment]. Hence enquiry (vichara) is the first and foremost step to be taken. When vichara continues automatically, it results in a contempt for wealth, fame, ease, pleasure, etc. The `I' thought becomes clearer for inspection. The source of `I' is the Heart - the final goal.

If, however, the aspirant is not temperamentally suited to Vichara Marga (to the introspective analytical method), he must develop bhakti (devotion) to an ideal - may be God, Guru, humanity in general, ethical laws, or even the idea of beauty. When one of these takes possession of the individual, other attachments grow weaker, i.e., dispassion (vairagya) develops. Attachment for the ideal simultaneously grows and finally holds the field. Thus ekagrata (concentration) grows simultaneously and imperceptibly - with or without visions and direct aids.

In the absence of enquiry and devotion, the natural sedative pranayama (breath regulation) may be tried. This is known as Yoga Marga. If life is imperilled the whole interest centres round the one point, the saving of life. If the breath is held the mind cannot afford to (and does not) jump at its pets - external objects. Thus there is rest for the mind so long as the breath is held. All attention being turned on breath or its regulation, other interests are lost. Again, passions are attended with irregular breathing, whereas calm and happiness are attended with slow and regular breathing. Paroxysm of joy is in fact as painful as one of pain, and both are accompanied by ruffled breaths. Real peace is happiness. Pleasures do not form happiness. The mind improves by practice and becomes finer just as the razor's edge is sharpened by stropping. The mind is then better able to tackle internal or external problems.

If an aspirant be unsuited temperamentally for the first two methods and circumstantially (on account of age) for the third method, he must try the Karma Marga (doing good deeds, for example, social service). His nobler instincts become more evident and he derives impersonal pleasure. His smaller self is less assertive and has a chance of expanding its good side. The man becomes duly equipped for one of the three aforesaid paths. His intuition may also develop directly by this single method.

~ Sri Ramana Maharshi

?Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi?, Talk 27; 4th February, 1935
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:24:08 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: February 17, 2015, 01:33:08 PM »
Quote:
"I would qualify my answer.Ekanishta is not allegiance to one god or one guru but to the only God / Guru."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Well, I do not know any God, and in my view, Ekanishtha or allegiance or fidelity to the Guru and His Teaching is essential to succeed in spiritual realm.  First one sees Him within, then only the whole world appears to be Shiva-swarupa, not before; first one sees the Self within, then only the whole world appears to be the Swarupa, the Self. Likewise, first one sees the Guru as Tattva within, as not apart from Him, then only one can understand that all Gurus are One, or That, and only the Satchidananda or the Self alone is the Guru, not before. Before that, it is mere play of words or at best blurred intellectual understanding. This is how I have understood it, and one is always free to accept what appeals to one most.  Guru is One whose Presence bestows peace and bliss, and whose Gaze enlightens and removes the darkness of ignorance. One needs to owe allegiance to such a one. Such a one for me is Bhagwan Sri Ramana. But I wish to add that does not mean that one who owes allegiance to his Guru should look down upon others. The one who does so is not a real devotee, for all Gurus are indeed one.

Thanks very much, dear sir.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:34:59 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: February 17, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Who can project Self? Sri Bhagwan is the Self, abiding in hearts of all. Who can project One who Himself is the greatest, nay, the Absolute Projector of all that appears and disappears?  Can a character on the screen project the Writer/ Director? Characters are playing only the roles scripted by the Director, and not otherwise.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: February 17, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
anil,

Guru is One whose Presence bestows peace and bliss, and whose Gaze enlightens and removes the darkness of ignorance. One needs to owe allegiance to such a one. Such a one for me is Bhagwan Sri Ramana

"In the recesses of the lotus-shaped hearts of all jivas, beginning with Vishnu, there shines as absolute consciousness the Paramatman, who is the same as Arunachala Ramana. When the mind melts with love of him and reaches the inmost recess of the Heart wherein he dwells as the beloved, the subtle eye of pure intellect opens and he reveals himself as pure consciousness"

If 'such a one' has clearly stated who he is,and if we profess sraddha in his words,what prevents us from feeling this?

This is how Sri Ramakrishna explains the nature of this Faith:
Childlike faith
"God cannot be realized without childlike faith. The mother says to her child, pointing to a boy, 'He is your elder brother.' And the child at once believes that the boy is one hundred per cent his brother. Again, the mother says that a bogy man lives in a certain room, and the
child believes one hundred per cent that the bogy man lives in the room. God bestows His grace on the devotee who has this faith of a child."

In fact all that we see is God whether we know it or not-for god alone exists.It is not thus difficult to realize this faith and be receptive to the Guru irrespective of whatever the form he appears before us.

Here is another excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
"God can be realized by true faith alone. And the realization is hastened if you believe everything about God. The cow that picks and chooses its food gives milk only in dribblets, but if she eats all kinds of plants, then her milk flows in torrents.
"Once I heard a story. A man heard the command of God that he should see his Ideal Deity in a ram. He at once believed it. It is God who exists in all beings.
"A guru said to his disciple, 'It is Rama alone who resides in all bodies.' The disciple was a man of great faith. One day a dog snatched a piece of bread from him and started to run away. He ran after the dog, with a jar of butter in his hand, and cried again and again: 'O
Rama, stand still a minute. That bread hasn't been buttered.'

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: February 17, 2015, 02:48:32 PM »
Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
"Each Path, themselves is as Direct as any other."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Though I am not against any path whatever, and all paths are most welcome, I do not accept at all the above quoted view. Neither Sri Bhagwan Himself nor His great devotees who moved closely with Him, have taught anywhere, I have not seen, that each path is as direct as any other.  All have proclaimed in unison that Self-enquiry is the direct path.  Therefore, the above quote may be your personal opinion, and everyone is free to have his own.  I wish to add that my understanding is also contrary to the above quote. 

Thanks very much, dear Sri Nagaraj Ji.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:50:06 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: February 17, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »
Anil/Friends,

Here is an excerpt from Sri annamalai swami's diary:

One day a visitor approached Bhagavan and asked: ?Only on account of preponderance of the wicked in this world, there is so much misery. How is one to be happy amidst this??
Sri Bhagavan?s reply: ?All are indeed good. The wicked through their harmful deeds seem to warn ?Do not come near me? while the good are always doing good deeds. Hence all are gurus for us."

These are not mere words-they are meant to be practised and can be put into practice.

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: February 17, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"If 'such a one' has clearly stated who he is,and if we profess sraddha in his words,what prevents us from feeling this?"

Dear Sri Ravi,

First, answer me, dear bahi saheb, do one profess shradha, or is one shrdahwan, that is, full of shradha (I would like to say 'one with shradha')? 

Anyway, such a one has clearly stated that He is none other than the Self abiding in hearts of all. Therefore, for His devotees, His Name and Form have special Meaning, Appeal and Attraction, as the Guru outside, and their shradha and His Grace enable them (His devotees) to  invoke His Presence  and He reveals Himself as the Pure Knowledge, all-pervading, eternal Pure Consciousness. However, they know for certain that walking the Path shown by Him alone will take them to the end of the journey, and enable them to irreversibly merge into Him forever. Not for nothing it is said from the time immemorial that the best Guru-sewa is following the path shown by Him thereby realising the Self. This is the best service one can render to one's Guru.

Thanks very much, dear bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:21:48 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: February 17, 2015, 03:33:14 PM »

Though I am not against any path whatever, and all paths are most welcome, I do not accept at all the above quoted view. Neither Sri Bhagwan Himself nor His great devotees who moved closely with Him, have taught anywhere, I have not seen, that each path is as direct as any other.  All have proclaimed in unison that Self-enquiry is the direct path.  Therefore, the above quote may be your personal opinion, and everyone is free to have his own.  I wish to add that my understanding is also contrary to the above quote. 

Your views, dear sri Anil ji, are nothing short of fanatism! !

I have nothing more to communicate.

Best wishes dear friend,
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:34:58 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: February 17, 2015, 03:37:06 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

You have bestowed upon me that label even before. I didn'd mind then, and I do not care now.

Thanks very much, dear friend, for conferring on me, if not any thing, at least a label, though my wish is to be bereft all labels whatsoever!  Sri Ravi bhai saheb has not done even that.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:43:29 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: February 17, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"These are not mere words-they are meant to be practised and can be put into practice."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji, yes, thanks very much, sir. But every one of us is already practicing that. We do not like to come near evil, and we are learning always from the ephemeral nature of the world. Are we not? But these sources are not our Sadguru.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: February 17, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
anil,

First, answer me, dear bahi saheb, do one profess shradha, or is one shrdahwan, that is, full of shradha (I would like to say 'one with shradha'

The word profess is used in this sense:'To affirm openly; declare or claim'-It may also be used with  negative connotation of a 'pretense' but that is not the case here.

One may not only have shraddha but also affirms it openly-so that is the sense in which that word is used.

Certainly we are not discounting the name and form of the guru-yet it is also of immense benefit not to limit the guru to that alone but also to recognize and feel the presence of the guru in all beings.This is certainly possible and can be done.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: February 17, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
Anil,

" We do not like to come near evil, and we are learning always from the ephemeral nature of the world. Are we not? But these sources are not our Sadguru."

Who gives us this understanding?Does the world outside give  us this understanding?Understanding always comes from within-and it is from the sadguru only.All knowledge comes from him only-be it any knowledge.

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Master:The Mother reveals to me that She Herself has become everything. One day I was coming from the pine-grove toward the Panchavati. A dog followed me. I stood still for a while near the Panchavati. The thought came to my mind that the Mother might say something to me through that dog.

In the upanishads we read about satyakama jabala-how he gets instructed by the bull,Fire,swan,etc.This is a very inspiring story and it is here:
http://anustoriesforchildren.blogspot.in/2010/06/satyakama-jabala.html

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: February 17, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
Quote:
"The word profess is used in this sense:'To affirm openly; declare or claim'-It may also be used with negative connotation of a 'pretense' but that is not the case here."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. so, you employed the word 'profess' in the sense of affirmation, which I feel is appropriate. I asked this because, in my view, the said word has some negative connotation also.

Quote:
"One may not only have shraddha but also affirms it openly-so that is the sense in which that word is used."

Ji, yes, thanks very much.

Quote:
"Certainly we are not discounting the name and form of the guru-yet it is also of immense benefit not to limit the guru to that alone but also to recognize and feel the presence of the guru in all beings.This is certainly possible and can be done."

Yes, I never limited the Guru to Name and Form alone. His Grace enabled me to realise that the Real Guru is the Self. Yes, I see and realise the same Guru-tattva in all great ones, such as Sri Shirdi Baba, Sant Jnaneshwar, Sri Ramamkrishna, Lord Budha, Christ and others. As I said before, I am cent percent certain that this became possible for me only due to His Grace and His Vichara.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:26:25 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: February 17, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
Quote:
"Who gives us this understanding?Does the world outside give  us this understanding?Understanding always comes from within-and it is from the sadguru only.All knowledge comes from him only-be it any knowledge."

Dearv Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes, indeed. Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil