Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759041 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #4035 on: December 18, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
Pythogoras,

I think it is the ego that does not want to forget as I think it is afraid of not knowing something or losing what it has learned but paradoxically at the same time on this path, all memory will also have to be forgotten. So I'm sort of confused.

No,there is absolutely no need to forget anything.In fact all masters had quite a powerful memory,so much so that if they read or heard anything even once,they retained it for ever.The confusion arises in imagining the 'goal' to be bereft of all experiences.No need to forget any experience but what is needed is to drop the 'experiencer' who presently identifies with the experience.

It is also not at all necessary to be preoccupied with 'meditation'.Do we spend hours before a mirror to dress ourselves to prepare  for the day ahead?It is enough to groom  ourselves quickly and take care that we do not dirty ourselves in any manner in the course of the day.Likewise it is important that the mind be dipped in the source and with this 'bath' one may take care that it does not get sullied by worldly thoughts.This needs continuous vigilance and this itself is a very effective sadhana.
Avoidance of work often leads to dullness and delusion.It is important that one is usefully engaged in some purposeful work that is in consonance with one's station in life and predisposition.
While one is engaged in such activity,one has to keep the inner contact through 'smarana'.How time is spent when one is 'not meditating' is as important(and perhaps more so)than the time  spent in 'meditation.'

Wishing you the very Best.

Namaskar.

Pythagoras

• View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: December 19, 2014, 01:05:51 AM »
Dear Ravi,

No I understand that the aspirant will remember everything once realized of the Self that is why I said paradoxically. However the reason why I say the ego seems to not want to forget anything is because from observance I notice it wants to constantly remember some quotes when it is not needed just to feel secure.

Also, why do you say avoidance of work often leads to dullness and delusion? I notice I have been avoid studying as I am being trained to be on the computer most of my days for the stock market and that is my only way of income. Though I know I am not the one working.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: December 19, 2014, 06:20:53 AM »
Sri Vasistha said:

O Rama, kindly listen to this discourse on the dissolution of the universe and the attainment of supreme peace.
This seemingly unending world-appearance is sustained by impure (rajasa) and dull (tamasa) beings, even as a superstructure is sustained by pillars. But it is playfully and easily abandoned by those who are of a pure nature, even as the slough is effortlessly abandoned by a snake. They are of a pure (satvika) nature and they whose activities (rajas) are based on purity and light (satva) do not live their life mechanically, but enquire into the origin and the nature of this world-appearance. When such enquiry is conducted with the help of the right study of scriptures and the company of holy ones, there arises a clear understanding within oneself in which the truth is seen, as in the light of a lamp. Not until this truth is perceived by oneself for oneself through such enquiry is the truth seen truly. O Rama, you are indeed a pure nature: therefore, enquire into the nature of truth and the falsehood, and be devoted to truth. That which was not in the beginning and which will cease to be after a time, how can that be regarded as truth? That alone can be regarded as truth which has always been and which will always be.   
Birth is of the mind, O Rama, and growth is mental, too. And when the truth is clearly seen, it is mind that is liberated from its own ignorance. Hence, let the mind be led along the path of righteousness by the cultivation of dispassion. Equipped with these one should resort to the feet of a master (guru) whose wisdom is perfected. By faithfully adhering to the teachings of the master, one gradually attains to the plane of total purity.
O Rama, behold the self by the self through pure enquiry, even as the cool perceives the entire space. One is tossed over the waters of this illusory world-appearance like a piece of straw only as long as one does not get into the secure boat of self-enquiry. Even as particles of sand floating in water settle down when the water is absolutely steady, the mind of the man who gained the knowledge of the truth settles down in total peace. Once this knowledge of truth is gained, it is not lost.
Source: Yoga Vasistha   

Dear Devotees,

Rather than engaging ourselves into needless and meaningless arguments, we must enquire into the nature of truth and falsehood, and be devoted to Truth behind our own existence. And what is the truth behind our own existence? Guru has  taught "I Am the Self" and Sacred Lore has declared "I am Brahman".  However, this knowledge is intellectual, and therefore this truth must be perceived by oneself for oneself through enquiry. We must board THE  SECURE  BOAT  OF  THE  ENQUIRY and playfully and easily abandon the world-appearance. Only then we will cease to be tossed over like a piece of straw, on the waters of this illusory world-appearance. Hence the ULTIMATE TEACHING:

BEHOLD  THE  SELF  BY  THE  SELF  THROUGH  PURE  ENQUIRY.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:26:26 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: December 19, 2014, 06:31:43 AM »
Pythogoras,
Your response seems to confirm what I have already said.

However the reason why I say the ego seems to not want to forget anything is because from observance I notice it wants to constantly remember some quotes when it is not needed just to feel secure

The way out of this difficulty is to understand the words of the Gita by reflecting on its essence-not to banish the words.It is not a problem of memorizing the words but a superficial clinging to them just to feel secure-for example,the following inspirational words of the Lord:
"Abandon all dharmas and take refuge in Me alone. I will deliver thee from all sin and evil, do not grieve."
This needs to be understood in essence and not superficially.This means surrendering oneself and not abandoning 'work'.This would imply that one has to find the Lord and feel his presence,understand that the Lord alone is the 'doer'.To know this without any doubt.
So,what is needed is to reflect on whatever is read and get deep into the core of what one has read or heard and make it one's own.In other words,internalize the teachings.

It also means not to be selective about the words of the Lord-He has emphasized 'works' as much as 'Knowledge' and these two are not contradictory.A superficial mind would latch onto what is 'convenient' and ignore what is not.

why do you say avoidance of work often leads to dullness and delusion? I notice I have been avoid studying as I am being trained to be on the computer most of my days for the stock market and that is my only way of income. Though I know I am not the one working[.

Income has to be earned in a honest way.This is one basic requirement and comes under 'Dharmic Living' and this is quite important.

Imagining that 'I am not the one who is working' does not lead to anything.Better to be a 'Doer' conscious of his limitations and this would lead to earnestness in sadhana to get rid of these limitations.

Spiritual Living has to be built on strong foundation of Dharma.It requires a thorough examining of one's motives and actions and weeding out whatever is of dubious value.It is only a mind that is purged of all dross that becomes fit for the spiritual path.This does require total integrity,patience,perseverance and vigilance.

'Work' means a whole lot of things-It may mean Physical exercises,Reading Good Books,Going out to buy vegetables and free women folk working in the kitchen from such chores,helping someone with his studies,working to earn a living,Cleaning up the house to keep things tidy,- all that forms a part of daily living-The mind and body  should be usefully engaged and all the while Sadhana can be pursued.This is the essence of Gita.

Namaskar
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:34:55 AM by Ravi.N »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: December 19, 2014, 10:12:23 AM »
Quote  from Sri Ravi:
"Spiritual Living has to be built on strong foundation of Dharma. It requires a thorough examining of one's motives and actions and weeding out whatever is of dubious value. It is only a mind that is purged of all dross that becomes fit for the spiritual path. This does require total integrity, patience, perseverance and vigilance."

Dear Sri Ravi and Dear Devotees,

While I accept, in general, that one, aspiring to live a spiritual life, should seek always to live a pure life, as enjoined by the Guru and Scriptures,, nevertheless, I feel and understand, without doubt whatever, that one who is attracted to Sri Bhagwan?s Teaching of the Atma-vichara, and drawn to His Lotus feet, should straight away practice it without losing further time . For, Sri Bhagwan Himself has unequivocally taught and a number of His great devotees affirmed experientially that Self-enquiry itself is capable of bestowing all the daivic qualities  and virtues needed for its practice. Since all daivic qualities are inherent in the Self, when He is sought, the Self Himself confers on Its earnest seekers whatever is needed, including integrity, patience, perseverance, et al, and weeds out whatever is dubious and asuric in such a one, ON  THE  PATH.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:15:33 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: December 19, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Maurice Frydman, who was instrumental in compiling Maharshi's Gospel, is a famous name among Sri Bhagwan's devotees. Most of the questions raised in Maharshi's Gospel are said to be his. Once he composed a few verses in English and submitted them to Sri Bhagwan. Of these Verse 8 and 9 are quoted as following:

So long have I been on the stage to please thee,
My eyes are blinded by the lights of the play,
My ears are deafened by the roaring thunders of thy
                                                                              laughter,
My heart is turned to ashes by the flames of dreary
                                                                               sorrow.
Verse 8

My Lord, to please thee, I have made a fool of myself,
And now I am unable to stop the agony of the play,
My Lord, drag me down from the stage,
I have forgotten the way in and the  way out.
Verse 9

Sri Bhagwan was happy to go through these verses.  Sri Frydman then composed another poem in which he put the following answer into Sri Bhagwan's mouth!

My child, our play is an end in itself
And it comes to an end when you see it as play.
You are never on stage, never am I apart.
Yours are the sorrows, the endurance is mine,
I am the Bliss in your joy and salt in your tears.
For your sake I have made a fool of myself,
I play the sun and the earth and your world thereon.
I am your body and mind, their hopes and desires,
I am everything you think you are not;
And when you think you are this, I am also the same.
The play ceases to be when you see it as play,
The world ceases to be when you see it as Me.

Source: Moments Remembered

Note: I shall conclude this post in my next post.

Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:53:29 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: December 19, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »
Anil,
nevertheless, I feel and understand, without doubt whatever, that one who is attracted to Sri Bhagwan?s Teaching of the Atma-vichara, and drawn to His Lotus feet, should straight away practice it without losing further time

I tend to disagree with this anil Bhai.There is no losing of 'time' in sadhana.For it is not the 'path' that is of importance as much as purity of mind and earnestness.This is all that matters.
Introspection,weeding out whatever stands in the way are essential aspect of Viveka and vairagya and help to purify the mind and make it all the more fit to gravitate towards the Divine and realize it.There is no shortcut to this-irrespective of whoever be the 'master' one may cling to or whatever approach one may take to.This is just like a wet match stick cannot catch fire however many times we strike against the 'special surface' on the side of the matchbox whereas a dry one would catch fire even if rubbed against an ordinary surface.
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: December 20, 2014, 05:10:29 AM »
Quote from my post 4039:
"nevertheless, I feel and understand, without doubt whatever, that one who is attracted to Sri Bhagwan's Teaching of the Atma-vichara, and drawn to His Lotus feet, should straight away practice it without losing further time . For, Sri Bhagwan Himself has unequivocally taught and a number of His great devotees affirmed experientially that Self-enquiry itself is capable of bestowing all the daivic qualities and virtues needed for its practice. Since all daivic qualities are inherent in the Self, when He is sought, the Self Himself confers on Its earnest seekers whatever is needed, including integrity, patience, perseverance, et al, and weeds out whatever is dubious and asuric in such a one, ON THE PATH."

Dear Sri Ravi,

I wrote above lines as per my feeling, understanding, experience and out of my own and other great devotees' conviction. Now I must draw your attention to what Sri Bhagwan Himself has taught:
"Regulation of life, such as getting up at a fixed hour, bathing, doing mantra japa, etc., observing ritual, all this is for PEOPLE  WHO  DO  NOT  FEEL DRAWN TO SELF-ENQUIRY OR ARE NOT CAPABLE OF IT. But for those who CAN practice this method all rules and discipline are UNNECESSARY."

There is no mistaking the import of the Message in the above Teaching!
Sri Bhagwan has clarified: "It depends on the superiority of the path one pursues. Unless a person has finished (in this or previous births) the other paths, he will not pursue the Jnana Path;  AND  HE  NEED  NOT  BOTHER  HIMSELF  THAT  HE  HAS  NOT  DONE  THE  VARIOUS  KARMAS  PRESCRIBED  BY  SASTRAS."

It follows that if someone is attracted by His Teaching of the Atma-vichara and to His Lotus Feet, and starts practicing it straightaway, it implies that His Grace has drawn such a one, and he is fit and prepared to follow His Direct and Straight Path.

Quote:
"Introspection, weeding out whatever stands in the way are essential aspect of Viveka and vairagya and help to purify the mind and make it all the more fit to gravitate towards the Divine and realize it. There is no shortcut to this-irrespective of whoever be the 'master' one may cling to or whatever approach one may take to.This is just like a wet match stick cannot catch fire however many times we strike against the 'special surface' on the side of the matchbox whereas a dry one would catch fire even if rubbed against an ordinary surface."

Dear Sri Ravi Bhai saheb, I have written before, and I again reiterate that the greatness of the Self-enquiry lies also in the fact that it itself weeds out all that are undesirable in an aspirant and goes on to conferring all that are essential for the Self-Realisation on the Path itself. This is why Sri Annamalai Swami Swami has also taught that if Self-enquiry appeals to someone, he should practice it, and should not take up some other discipline as preparatory to the Atma-vichara, for SELF-ENQUIRY IS ITSELF THE BEST PREPARARION FOR THE SELF-ENQUIRY.   

And now I wish to quote my first post(11.10.2010) under this topic, which makes us aware of Sri Muruganar's view-point regarding the above:

"Dr.Sarada asked Sri Muruganaron on a visit,"Is it enough if I think of Bhagwan as my Guru and practice self-enquiry?" On hearing the question Muruganar was deeply moved. He went red in face and his voice choked with emotion as he said 'Enough! Enough! Cent percent sufficient.' After a moment's pause he added, 'More than hundred per cent sufficient.' He then stressed that Bhagwan is the only everlasting illumination within us and that His Presence is the only existence everywhere and for all time."

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ravi bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil 

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:36:11 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: December 20, 2014, 06:24:59 AM »
"There is no losing of 'time' in sadhana."

Dear Sri Ravi, I used the terms 'without losing further time' only to express the sense of urgency with which, I feel, one should start practicing Self-enquiry, provided the Path appeals to someone, and is attracted to it. Otherwise, one is always free to do what he likes and to follow what he feels is most suited to him.

Yes, there is no time and space in the Reality, and I am aware that everybody is moving and gravitating towards the Realisation of the Atma-swarupa only. Therefore, everybody has to arrive ultimately, sooner or later, if not in this birth, then in future births, and there is no measuring the time in sadhana. That is all there is to it.

Thanks very much, dear Sir.
Pranam,
 Anil 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: December 20, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
Anil,

It depends on the superiority of the path one pursues. Unless a person has finished (in this or previous births) the other paths, he will not pursue the Jnana Path;  AND  HE  NEED  NOT  BOTHER  HIMSELF  THAT  HE  HAS  NOT  DONE  THE  VARIOUS  KARMAS  PRESCRIBED  BY  SASTRAS.

I have not alluded to any karma prescribed by the sastras but the daily quota  and quality of work that anyone definitely has to be engaged in the course of living.These are just unavoidable and the attitude and motive behind carrying out such works is important.It is one Life and it cannot be split into 'sadhana period'(meditation) and 'non sadhana period'(other activities).
Hence the need to examine all that one does ,thinks and is-all the hidden ambitions,all the frustrations,all the indifference,all selfishness,all hidden desires,all conceit and deceit-everything has to be unflinchingly seen and eliminated.This is not to be left to 'God's or Guru's grace' or 'pursuing of a superior path' -none of that would be of any help as long as one continues to carry all this load from immemorial times and does nothing to eliminate this.
The prescribed disciplines of the sastras are designed to prevent further accumulation of this karmic baggage and the organized way of Getting up at a certain time,doing other works at appointed times,etc are to help set the rhythm and make it easier and automatic -These certainly have their place .In the life of Sri Bhagavan as well he meticulously stuck to these schedules and at any time of the day ,one may predict  where Sri Bhagavan would be and what he activity he would be outwardly engaged in.I have not alluded to these prescribed karmas in my post but since you mention it,I just added their usefulness in the scheme of things.

Anyone genuinely interested in Spiritual Life and sadhana is already marked out by the Grace of God-it is true of any path  and not just 'self-enquiry'-in that one would be guided and made to do all that is needed.Yet,this cannot be taken for granted.There has to be tremendous earnestness,unflinching willingness to get rid of all that stands in the way of the path.Without this willingness ,the guidance would disappear and one would be left to one's compromises.

I will next post how Sri Ramakrishna explains the balance between Grace and Self Effort.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: December 20, 2014, 08:19:27 AM »
God's will and Self Effort

Once, finding it difficult to reconcile the contradictory doctrines of man's free will and God's grace two disciples of the Master went to him for a solution of the same. The Master said,
"Why do you talk, of free will? Everything is dependent upon the Lord's will. Our will is tied to the Lord's, like the cow to its tether. No doubt we have a certain amount of freedom even as the cow has, within a prescribed circle. So man thinks that his will is free. But know that his will is dependent on the Lord's."

Disciples: "Is there then no necessity of practising penance, meditation and the rest? For one can as well sit quiet and say, "It is all God's will; whatever is done, is done at His will."

Sri Ramakrishna: Oh! To what effect, if you simply say that in so many words? Any amount of your verbal denial of thorns can never save you from their painful prick when you place your hand on them. Had it been entirely with man to do spiritual practices according to his will, everybody would have done so. But no; everyone can't do it, and why? But there is one thing: If you don't utilize properly the amount of strength He has given you, He never gives more. That is why self-exertion is necessary. And so everyone has to struggle hard even to become fit for the grace of God. By such endeavour, and through His grace, the sufferings of many lives can be worked out in one life. But some self-effort is absolutely necessary. Let me tell you a story.
Once, Vishnu, the Lord of Goloka, cursed Narada, saying that he would be thrown into hell. At this Narada was greatly disturbed in mind; and he prayed to the Lord, singing songs of devotion, and begging Him to show where hell is and how one can go there. Vishnu then drew the map of the universe on the ground with a piece of chalk, representing the exact position of heaven and hell.
Then Narada said, pointing to the part marked 'hell', "Is it like this? This is hell then!" So saying he rolled himself on the spot and exclaimed he had undergone all the sufferings of hell. Vishnu smilingly asked, "How is that?" and Narada replied: "Why, Lord, are not heaven and hell Thy creation? When Thou didst draw the map of the universe Thyself and point out to me the hell in the plan, then that place became a real hell; and as I rolled myself there, my sufferings were intense. So I do say that I have undergone the punishments of hell.
"Narada said all this sincerely and so Vishnu was satisfied with the explanation.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: December 20, 2014, 08:50:45 AM »
Anil/Friends,

I again reiterate that the greatness of the Self-enquiry lies also in the fact that it itself weeds out all that are undesirable in an aspirant and goes on to conferring all that are essential for the Self-Realisation on the Path itself. This is why Sri Annamalai Swami Swami has also taught that if Self-enquiry appeals to someone, he should practice it, and should not take up some other discipline as preparatory to the Atma-vichara, for SELF-ENQUIRY IS ITSELF THE BEST PREPARARION FOR THE SELF-ENQUIRY

This is true of any path and not just 'self-enquiry'(By the way there are only two paths-the path of Sreyas and the path of preyas;all the rest are just techicalities!).What Sri Annamalai swami has said is that one need not take to a 'preparatory sadhana' in order to become fit for 'vichara'.This does not mean that he did not advocate any disciplined Living.Far from it.
Swami himself came to Sri Bhagavan when he was 18 or 19 and was disciplined under the guidance of Sri Bhagavan.When he took 'two sweets turning around a corner where no one could see him',Sri Bhagavan asked him-'What?Two helpings for you!'.This way Swami understood that wherever one is,one is always under the watchful eyes of the Guru-He developed this attitude.
Again when he was assailed by sexual thoughts,Sri Bhagavan made him stand on a hot rock.He was made to take the responsibility of constructing all the buildings without letting know anyone that all the suggestions came from Bhagavan-and he was made to face all the opposition from chinna Swami and others.
It is after all this and after the 'samadhi' experience , he followed the 'Neti,Neti' version only and advised the same to others as well.

So a lot of 'elimination' he had to do or was made to do-all this are part of sadhana

Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: December 20, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Quote:
"I have not alluded to any karma prescribed by the sastras but the daily quota and quality of work that anyone definitely has to be engaged in the course of living.These are just unavoidable and the attitude and motive behind carrying out such works is important.It is one Life and it cannot be split into 'sadhana period'(meditation) and 'non sadhana period'(other activities).?

Why mention karmas only, Sri Bhagwan has taught also that regulation of life, such as getting up at a fixed hour, bathing, doing mantra japa, etc., observing ritual, all this is for PEOPLE WHO DO NOT FEEL DRAWN TO SELF-ENQUIRY OR ARE NOT CAPABLE OF IT. But for those who CAN practice this method all rules and discipline are UNNECESSARY. Yet, I never said that an spiritual aspirant should not live a disciplined life, whatever path he is following.

As I have understood, sadhana period and non-sadhana period eventually merge together. Initially one allots some fixed time for the sadhana, and I feel that there is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
"Anyone genuinely interested in Spiritual Life and sadhana is already marked out by the Grace of God-it is true of any path and not just 'self-enquiry'-in that one would be guided and made to do all that is needed.Yet,this cannot be taken for granted. There has to be tremendous earnestness, unflinching willingness to get rid of all that stands in the way of the path. Without this willingness ,the guidance would disappear and one would be left to one's compromises."

Dear Sri Ravi, I accept the above, but, at the same time, I have always felt that one who is drawn to Self-enquiry, and to Sri Bhagwan, is in the tiger's Jaws from where there is simply no escape.

Quote from my post:
"I again reiterate that the greatness of the Self-enquiry lies also in the fact that it itself weeds out all that are undesirable in an aspirant and goes on to conferring all that are essential for the Self-Realisation on the Path itself. This is why Sri Annamalai Swami i has also taught that if Self-enquiry appeals to someone, he should practice it, and should not take up some other discipline as preparatory to the Atma-vichara, for SELF-ENQUIRY IS ITSELF THE BEST PREPARARION FOR THE SELF-ENQUIRY."

Quote from Sri Ravi:
"This is true of any path and not just 'self-enquiry'(By the way there are only two paths-the path of Sreyas and the path of preyas;all the rest are just techicalities!).What Sri Annamalai swami has said is that one need not take to a 'preparatory sadhana' in order to become fit for 'vichara'.This does not mean that he did not advocate any disciplined Living.Far from it."

I do not wish to comment on other sadhana and discipline, for I never poured my heart and soul in any sadhana other than Self-enquiry, which to me, is grand fusion of Jnana and Bhakti, or Knowledge and Love. I have absolute Faith in the great efficacy and infallibility of twin weapons of Sri Bhagwan's Vichara. However, I understand that it is only good that there are many paths and spiritual disciplines from which one can adopt a sadhana most suited to one's temperament and level of maturity. 

Dear bhai saheb, I have just gone through your posts in a hurry, and managed to form a response in whatever time I had.  Thanks very much, dear bhai saheb.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:10:08 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: December 20, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"Hence the need to examine all that one does ,thinks and is-all the hidden ambitions,all the frustrations,all the indifference,all selfishness,all hidden desires,all conceit and deceit-everything has to be unflinchingly seen and eliminated.This is not to be left to 'God's or Guru's grace' or 'pursuing of a superior path' -none of that would be of any help as long as one continues to carry all this load from immemorial times and does nothing to eliminate this.
The prescribed disciplines of the sastras are designed to prevent further accumulation of this karmic baggage and the organized way of Getting up at a certain time,doing other works at appointed times,etc are to help set the rhythm and make it easier and automatic -These certainly have their place .In the life of Sri Bhagavan as well he meticulously stuck to these schedules and at any time of the day ,one may predict where Sri Bhagavan would be and what he activity he would be outwardly engaged in.I have not alluded to these prescribed karmas in my post but since you mention it,I just added their usefulness in the scheme of things."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji, yes, these are very beautiful lines. Real Sri Ravi bhai saheb obviously is reflected in them. Thanks very much, sir. Yes, an spiritual aspirant must live a disciplined as well as a contemplative and introspective life, and examine ?..Oh! how beautifully you have written!

"Hence the need to examine all that one does ,thinks and is-all the hidden ambitions,all the frustrations,all the indifference,all selfishness,all hidden desires,all conceit and deceit-everything has to be unflinchingly seen and eliminated"

Ji, yes, Guru's or God's Grace is always there, but one must not forget one's part to make conscious effort, and examine and clearly see and unflinchingly, willingly and lovingly eliminate all those undesirable predispositions, which one has accumulated from time immemorial, and which are obstacles in the realisation of one's Swarupa.

Thanks very much, dear bhai saheb.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:38:38 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Pythagoras

• View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: December 20, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »
Anil/Friends,

I again reiterate that the greatness of the Self-enquiry lies also in the fact that it itself weeds out all that are undesirable in an aspirant and goes on to conferring all that are essential for the Self-Realisation on the Path itself. This is why Sri Annamalai Swami Swami has also taught that if Self-enquiry appeals to someone, he should practice it, and should not take up some other discipline as preparatory to the Atma-vichara, for SELF-ENQUIRY IS ITSELF THE BEST PREPARARION FOR THE SELF-ENQUIRY

This is true of any path and not just 'self-enquiry'(By the way there are only two paths-the path of Sreyas and the path of preyas;all the rest are just techicalities!).What Sri Annamalai swami has said is that one need not take to a 'preparatory sadhana' in order to become fit for 'vichara'.This does not mean that he did not advocate any disciplined Living.Far from it.
Swami himself came to Sri Bhagavan when he was 18 or 19 and was disciplined under the guidance of Sri Bhagavan.When he took 'two sweets turning around a corner where no one could see him',Sri Bhagavan asked him-'What?Two helpings for you!'.This way Swami understood that wherever one is,one is always under the watchful eyes of the Guru-He developed this attitude.
Again when he was assailed by sexual thoughts,Sri Bhagavan made him stand on a hot rock.He was made to take the responsibility of constructing all the buildings without letting know anyone that all the suggestions came from Bhagavan-and he was made to face all the opposition from chinna Swami and others.
It is after all this and after the 'samadhi' experience , he followed the 'Neti,Neti' version only and advised the same to others as well.

So a lot of 'elimination' he had to do or was made to do-all this are part of sadhana

Namaskar

Dear Ravi,

Can you clarify on Sri Annamalai swami's Neti-Neti approach? I read that Sri Bhagavan advice not to, and at other times he says one should.