Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758840 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3885 on: September 23, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »
                      CHECKMATE

Cruel King Ego stands with his haughty band,
Ready to wage the chequered game of fate,
Queen Truth waits with army straight at hand,
Battle's to be staged before it gets too late.

Black King wore a blindfold as dark as night,
His mob is ready to fight and mate white Queen,
Fair Queen shone brightly like morning light,
She gathers in her might, surveys the battle scene.

She makes first move and sends a centre pawn
To reign o'er the board and commence attack,
The Black King blocked it with regal scorn,
White Queen sent a knight to lead her pack.

The game progressed 'till locked in fight,
Queen gained the upper hand and he resigned,
It was the triumph over wrong by right
Defeating the wandering perverted mind.

If there's a moral to this chequered tale,
Win or lose, just enjoy the royal game,
Persistence and practice will never fail,
For no thought force ever goes vain.

Sri Alan Jacobs
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:05:47 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: September 24, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:
"This path (attention to the 'I') is the direct path; all others are indirect ways. The first leads to the Self, the others elsewhere. And even if the latter do arrive at the Self it is only because they lead at the end to the first path which ultimately carries them to the goal. So, in the end, the aspirants must adopt the first path. Why not do so now? Why waste time?"

Commenting on the above holy utterance of Sri Bhagwan, the great Devotee and Author, Sri David Godman writes in his book 'Be As You are' as following:

Sri David Godman:
That is to say, other techniques may sometimes bring one to an inner state of stillness in which self-attention or self-awareness inadvertently takes place, but it is a very roundabout way of reaching the Self. Sri Ramana maintained that other techniques could only take one to the place where self-enquiry starts and so He never endorsed them unless He felt that particular questioners were unwilling to adopt self-enquiry. This is illustrated by a conversation in Sri Ramana Gita in which Sri Ramana explained in detail why self-enquiry was the only way to realise the Self. After listening carefully to Sri Ramana's explanation the questioner was still unwilling to accept that self-enquiry was the only route to the Self and so he asked if there were any other methods by which the Self could be realised. Sri Ramana replied:
"The goal is the same for the who meditates on an object and the one who practices self-enquiry. One attains stillness through meditation, the other through knowledge. One strives to attain something; the other seeks the one who strives to attain. The former takes a long time, but in the end attains the Self."

Sri Godman writes further:
Not wanting to shake the faith of a man who had a known predilection for subject-object meditation and, having already ascertained that he was unwilling to take up self-enquiry, Sri Ramana encouraged him to follow his own chosen method by telling him that it would enable him to reach the Self. In Sri Ramana's view any method is better than no method since there is always the possibility that it will lead to self-enquiry.
He gave many other similar replies to other people for similar reasons. These replies, which indicate that methods other than self-enquiry or surrender could result in Self-realisation, should not be taken at face value since they were only given to people who were not attracted to self-enquiry and who wanted to follow their own methods. When He spoke to other devotees who were not attached to what He called 'indirect methods', He would usually reaffirm that self-attention was ULTIMATELY  INDISPENSABLE.
Although Sri Ramana vigorously defended His views on self-enquiry He never insisted that anyone change their beliefs or practices and, if He was unable to convince His followers to take up self-enquiry, He would happily give advice on other methods.
Source: Be As You Are

Dear devotees, after assimilating Sri Bhagwan's Teaching, practicing Enquiry for so many years, and reading so many books on Him, I have also reached at the same understanding as Sri Godman. It is true, nobody can deny, that Sri Bhagwan defended His views on His Atma-vichara rather vigorously. However, yes, He never insisted that anyone should change their beliefs or practices, and to some He happily gave advice and even encouraged on other practices.  But coming to His Lotus Feet, being aware of the Heart, and His Presence as the Heart, or as the Self, and taking up His Atma-vichara, is His Targeted Act of Grace, for He is indeed sitting at Its head (Atma-vichara). Therefore, Love or Bhakti is also indispensable for any spiritual practice, be it Enquiry or others, for Bhakti is Jnana Mata.  Thank you. Pranam. Anil           
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:29:30 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
Dear Friends,

Apropos to Sri Anil Ji, post as above, i feel would also like to express a couple of words, that the book "Be as you are" is a book on the Teachings of Sri Bhagavan edited by the author, and that it need not be ultimate representation of the teachings of Sri Bhagavan. I understand that this book is a systematic and structured compilation of Sri Bhagavan's teachings and responses to different  devotees at different occassions and to various different situation into a systematic order in order to present the vision of the author.

The following are the words of the author in the introduction of the book 'Be as you are'

This standpoint, summarised by his statement that consciousness alone exists, is ultimately the only yardstick by which one can realistically assess the relative truth of his widely differing and contradictory statements. To whatever extent his other statements deviate from this it may be assumed that to that extent they are dilutions of the truth.

Bearing this in mind I have tried to arrange the material in this book in such a way that his highest teachings come first and his least important or most diluted ones last. The only exception is a chapter in which he talks about his silent teachings. It ought to be somewhere near the beginning but I found it more expedient for a variety of reasons to fit it into a section about half-way through the book. I decided on this overall structure for two reasons. Firstly it gives the reader a chance to gauge the relative importance of the various ideas presented, and secondly, and more importantly, it was Sri Ramana?s own preferred method of teaching. When visitors came to see him he would always try to convince them of the truth of his higher teachings and only if they seemed unwilling to accept them would he tone down his answers and speak from a more relative level.

Therefore, what is predominantly communicated in the expressions of the author need not be the ultimate representation of Sri Bhagavan. But yes, many such auxiliary books are excellent guide to give us a peak into discerning the truths of various statements by Sri Bhagavan. The reader must bear in mind that true gospel of Sri Bhagavan are the direct works of Sri Bhagavan such as "Naan Yaar", "Ullathu Naarpatu", "Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai", and the various smaller Hymms, such as Appala Paattu, Aanma Vidya etc...

One who wants to get acquianted with first hand Sri Bhagavan's teachings must do good to first systematically study the above works of Sri Bhagavan, and then other auxiliary books such as "Be as you are" may be studied in order to get a better understanding.

This the reader must be aware of. thank you.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: September 24, 2014, 02:46:17 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

I am Very happy to see You are going to our Father soon. This is indeed so wonderful! 

Wish You peaceful,beautiful and safe journey,my friend!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: September 24, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
I understand that this book is a systematic and structured compilation of Sri Bhagavan's teachings and responses to different devotees at different occassions and to various different situation into a systematic order in order to present the vision of the author.

Yes, my understanding regarding the book under discussion is the same.

Quote:
This standpoint, summarised by his statement that consciousness alone exists, is ultimately the only yardstick by which one can realistically assess the relative truth of his widely differing and contradictory statements. To whatever extent his other statements deviate from this it may be assumed that to that extent they are dilutions of the truth.

Yes, dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, I agree fully and greatly with the great Devotee and the Author of the book. Since Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Consciousness alone exists, therefore, His Statements which deviate from this Teaching because of the predilection of the questioners or the context in which they were made, must be assumed to that extent that they are dilutions of the Highest Truth. I am in complete harmony with the above statement.   

Quote:
I decided on this overall structure for two reasons. Firstly it gives the reader a chance to gauge the relative importance of the various ideas presented, and secondly, and more importantly, it was Sri Ramana's own preferred method of teaching. When visitors came to see him he would always try to convince them of the truth of his higher teachings and only if they seemed unwilling to accept them would he tone down his answers and speak from a more relative level.

Yes, this is what I have also discerned. Whenever visitors to Him sought His Guidance on the spiritual path, He first almost always tried to convince them of His Highest Teachings, and only if they seemed unwilling or unable to accept or adopt them, would He tone down His answers and speak from a more relative level. This is true. There is no doubt about that.

Quote:
The reader must bear in mind that true gospel of Sri Bhagavan are the direct works of Sri Bhagavan such as "Naan Yaar", "Ullathu Naarpatu", "Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai", and the various smaller Hymms, such as Appala Paattu, Aanma Vidya etc...

Yes.  Apropos to you as well, dear Sri Nagaraqj Ji, for suggesting as above. Here I fully agree with you. Devotees who are attracted to Sri Bhagwan and His Teachings must first study sincerely and earnestly His own Works and Compositions, such as the booklets 'Who Am I?', 'Self-enquiry', 'Spiritual Instruction', 'Forty Verses On That Which Is (Ulladu Narpadu)', 'Song Appala Pattu', 'Atma Vidya Kirtanam', and Hyman such as 'Sri Arunachala Panchratna' and other Hymns to Sri Arunachala including, of course, 'Marital Garland of Letters'.  Then, one can read, if one feels the necessity,  'Talks', Sri Muruganar's compositions, and works and reminisces of other great devotees of Sri Bhagwan, such as  Sri Ganapati Muni, 'Who', Sri Osborne, Sri David Godman, Dr. Sarada and others. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:57:44 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: September 24, 2014, 06:11:45 PM »
            Peace, My Heart

Peace, my heart, let the time for
the parting be sweet.
Let it not be a death but completeness.
Let love melt into memory and pain
into songs.
Let the flight through the sky end
in the folding of the wings over the
nest.
Let the last touch of your hands be
gentle like the flower of the night.
Stand still, O Beautiful End, for a
moment, and say your last words in
silence.
I bow to you and hold up my lamp
to light you on your way.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19:44 AM »

Kahat  Kabir  Suno  Bhai  Sadho
(Says Kabir Listen Oh Sadhu)

Sadho  ye  Murdon  Ka  Gaon
Bhatak  Maro  Mat  Koi

(Oh Sadho This is the village of the dead.
Don't Get Lost and Die.)

Sadho  ye  Murdon  Ka Gaon
Peer Mare, Pygambar Mari Hain
Mari Hain Zinda Jogi
Raja Mari Hain, Parja Mari Hain
Mari Hain Baid Aur Rogi
Chanda Mari Hain, Suraj Mari Hain
Mari Hain Dharni Akasa
Chaudan Bhuvan Ke Chaudhry Mari Hain
In Hun Ki Ka Asa
Nauhun Mari Hain, Dus Hun Mari Hain
Mari Hain Sahaj Athasi
Tethis Koti Devata Mari Hain
Badi Kaal Ki Bazi
Naam Anam Anant Rehat Hai
Duja Tatva Na Hoi
Kahe Kabir Suno Bhai Sadho
Bhatak Maro Mat Koi 
Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: September 25, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell, for your good wishes on the eve of my departure. Yes, I am boarding train on 27 of this month, that is, day after tomorrow. However, I shall visit Sri Ramanasramam on the 2nd October, 2014 and stay in the Ashram for five days. I have just been intimated that the necessary leave for this journey is in the process of getting sanctioned, and therefore, I can now prepare for the cherished journey. It is a miracle for me to secure leave in a flood control department in the season of floods. I know it is His Grace. 

Pranam,
 Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: September 25, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
Dear Anil,

Wish you a happy and peaceful journey and a very good darshan of Sri Bhagavan, Matrubhuteswarar and Yogamba
and come back full in heart.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: September 25, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »
                Trust  Love

Trust love even if it brings sorrow.
Do not close up your heart.

Ah no, my friend, your words are
dark, I cannot understand them.

Pleasure is frail like a dewdrop,
while it laughs it dies. But sorrow is
strong and abiding. Let sorrowful
love wake in your eyes.

The lotus blooms in the sight of
the sun, and loses all that it has. It
would not remain in bud in the
eternal winter mist.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: September 25, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »
Jab Mein Tha Tab Hari Nahin, Jab Hari Hai Mein Nahin
Sab Andhiyara Mit Gaya, Jab Deepak Dekhya Mahin

Sage Sri Kabir
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:20:25 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: September 25, 2014, 07:12:38 PM »
Jab Mein Tha Tab Hari Nahin, Jab Hari Hai Mein Nahin
Sab Andhiyara Mit Gaya, Jab Deepak Dekhya Mahin

When 'I' was then Hari was not, now Hari 'Is' and 'I' am not.
All the darkness (illusions) evaporated, when I saw the Light (Illumination) within.

Dear devotees, Sri Kabir explains that till such time we are engrossed within the bounds of our (limited) ego, that is, the mundane 'I' - we are not able to realize the all-pervasive, eternal God. Ego-driven life is a perpetual state of conflict, chaos and of ignorance, which is aptly expressed by the great Sage as darkness or illusion in the Verse above. This darkness - the state of ignorance - diminishes, rather is eliminated, when the all-pervasive effulgence of God (the Light within) is realized or experienced; and we are thus able to transcend the ego-mind.

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:25:15 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: September 25, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell, for your good wishes on the eve of my departure. Yes, I am boarding train on 27 of this month, that is, day after tomorrow. However, I shall visit Sri Ramanasramam on the 2nd October, 2014 and stay in the Ashram for five days. I have just been intimated that the necessary leave for this journey is in the process of getting sanctioned, and therefore, I can now prepare for the cherished journey. It is a miracle for me to secure leave in a flood control department in the season of floods. I know it is His Grace. 

Pranam,
 Anil   

Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,it is certainly His Grace. All is His Grace only!

Truly,i am very happy to hear You are going to our Lord! Sooo exciting! 

Have a most beautiful time there,dear friend!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: September 26, 2014, 06:50:18 AM »
Quote:
"and come back full in heart."

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes, Sir. Six months after the visit to Sri Bhagwan's Shrine, I begin to feel a certain, indescribable emptiness and despondency, which I cannot fill and get fulfilled by any means here in Patna. I begin to feel a constant, progressively increasing pull till it becomes an intense longing. Though it is from within, it seems to me to be emanating from Sri Bhagwan's Shrine at Sri Arunachala. Ji. yes, Sri Ramanasramam is the only Place in the three worlds for me where I am full in heart and at peace with myself.

Thanks very much, Sir, for your kind wishes.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:52:03 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: September 26, 2014, 07:03:29 AM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

Your gesture is so beautiful and heartening, it filled my heart with love, my dear freind, Sri Jewell!

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:08:09 AM by eranilkumarsinha »