Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755776 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3360 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
“Take the case of bhakti—I approach Iswara and pray to be absorbed in Him. I then surrender myself in faith and by concentration. What remains afterwards? In place of the original ‘I’, perfect self-surrender leaves a residuum of God in which the ‘I’ is lost. This is the highest form of devotion, surrender or the height of vairagya.
You give up this and that of ‘my’ possessions. If you give up ‘I’ and ‘Mine’ instead, all are given up at a stroke. The very seed of possession is lost. Thus the evil is nipped in the bud or crushed in the germ itself.   DISPASSION   MUST   BE  VERY  STRONG  TO DO THIS.  EAGERNESS  TO  DO  IT  MUST  BE  EQUAL  TO  THAT  OF  A  MAN  KEPT  UNDER  WATER  TRYING  TO  RISE  UP  TO  THE  SURFACE  FOR  HIS  LIFE.”
Talk—28

Dear devotees,

How will this level of dispassion be achieved? A bhakta takes interest in God or a Mantra, and fixes the mind on it, such interest being all –absorbing to the exclusion of everything else. This is how dispassion and concentration are gained when one follows bhakti marga. Sri Bhagwan says that the mind thus gains strength to grasp the SUBTLE and MERGE  into it.

Sri Adi Shankara has taught that the reflection on  ONE’S  OWN  SELF is called bhakti. Sri Bhagwan taught the same. THEREFORE,  IT  FOLLOWS  THAT  BHAKTI  AND   SELF-ENQUIRY ARE  ONE  AND  THE  SAME.   THE  SELF  OF  THE  ADVAITINS  IS  THE GOD  OF  BHAKTAS.  Thus it is true bhakti to get rid of thoughts which are alien to us, that is, the Self.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that JAPA contains the word namah and has explained that it is the state in which the mind does not manifest apart from the Self. Only when that state is accomplished there will be an end of japa.  Japa should be made until that state  (AJAPA) is reached. So, there can be no escape from the Self. The doer will be automatically drawn into it and thus the doer vanishes along with the action. 

Thus Sri Bhagwan has conclusively taught that the Bhakti is not different from liberation.  Bhakti is being as the Swarupa.  AND  ONE  IS  ALWAYS  THAT.

So, what is bhakti? TO  THINK  OF  GOD  TO  THE  EXCLUSION  OF  ALL  OTHER  THOUGHTS.  So one thought, that is, the thought of God alone prevails in Bhakti. THEREFORE, THE  ABSENCE  OF   THOIUGHTS   ALONE  IS  REAL  BHAKTI  AND  IT  IS  LIBERATION.

Sri Bhagwan : The Jnana method is said to be Vichara.  THAT  IS  NOTHING  BUT  ‘SUPREME  DEVOTION’.   THE  DIFFERENCE  IS  IN  WORDS  ONLY. 

Dear devotees, so long as there is the sense of separation, bhakti (union) will be sought. In Srimad Bhagavad Gita,  Lord Sri Krishna enjoins that four kinds of pious men adore Him—distressed one, the wealth seeker, Knowledge seeker,  and the Knower. Among them the Knower or the man of Wisdom,, ever communing and single minded in devotion, is the best. Sri Krishna says that He is indeed SUPREMELY dear to such a Knower, and he in turn is dear to Him (Ch 7—16, 17).

Sri Bhagwan: Any kind of meditation is good. But if the sense of separateness is lost and the object of meditation or the subject who meditates is alone left behind without anything to know, it is Jnana.  JNANA  IS  SAID  TO  BE  EKABHAKTI  OR THE  SINGLE-MINDED  DEVOTION.  THE  JNANI  IS  THE  FINALITY  BECAUSE  HE  HAS  BECOME  THE  SELF  AND  THERE  IS  NOTHING  MORE  TO  DO.  He is also perfect and so fearless. Only the existence of a second gives rise to fear. This is mukti. It is also bhakti.

Dear devotees, it follows from the above discussion that it is not correct to say that this path is easy and that path is difficult. It all depends on the temperament and maturity level of the devotee.

A bhakta can easily generate joyful and pleasant mental states, but then that is not the measure of a bhakta’s progress.

Sri Annamalai Swami:  AND  YOU  SHOULD  NOT  THINK  THAT  YOU  WILL  MAKE  MORE  PROGRESS  AS  A  BHAKTA  SIMPLY  BECAUSE  YOU  FIND  IT  EASY  TO  GENERATE  JOYFUL  STATES  OF  MIND.

Sri Bhagwan almost always encouraged an earnest devotee to pursue Vichara and guided his every effort in that direction,  and even went on to teach that effort to silence even one thought, even for a trice, could go a long way towards mind control and Self-awareness.  EVEN  IF  THE  QUESTION  IS  MERELY  VERBAL,  OR  IF  ONE  MERELY  REPEATS   ‘I’, ‘I’, ‘I’, ‘I’…., IT  WILL  EVENTUALLY  LEAD  TO  REAL  EXPEREINCE  BY  SHEER DINT  OF  REPETITION.  After all ‘I’ is the first and foremost name of God. Is it not?   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
   Anil             

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: September 06, 2013, 03:51:33 PM »
Having considered the qualifications of their disciples, even those Jnanis who know that bhakti and Jnana are one single out one as superior to the other. This is to prevent those who have been pursuing the practice of one as preferable to the other from abandoning that one and hankering after the other.
V. 723, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

Sri Bhagwan : As often as one tries to surrender, the ego raises its head and one has to try to suppress it. Surrender is not easy thing. Killing the ego is not an easy thing. It is only when God Himself by His Grace draws the mind inwards that complete surrender can be achieved. But such Grace comes only to those who have already, in this or previous lives, gone through all the struggles and sadhanas preparatory to the extinction of the mind and killing of the ego.
Day By Day With Bhagwan

Sri Bhagwan : As Iswara exists as the self, meditating on the Self is devotion to the supreme God.

“BUT  THE  VICHARA  THAT  YOU  ARE  MAKING  IS  ITSELF  THE  GURU’S  GRACE  OR  GOD’S  GRACE.”

Q:  Then I can dispense with outside help and by my own effort get into the deeper truth by myself.
Sri Bhagwan : True. But the very fact that you are possessed of the quest for the Self is a MANIFESTATION  of the Divine Grace, Arul. It is effulgent in the Heart, the Inner Being, the real Self. It draws you from within. You have to attempt to get in from without. YOUR ATTEMPT  IS  VICHARA,  THE  DEEP INNER  MOVEMENT  IS  GRACE, ARUL.   THAT  IS  WHY  I  SAY  THERE  IS  NO  REAL  VICHARA  WITHOUT  GRACE  NOR  IS  THERE  GRACE  ACTIVE  FOR  HIM  WHO  IS  WITHOUT  VICHARA.  BOTH  ARE  NECESSARY.
Sat-Darshana Bhashya

Pranam,
  Anil     

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: September 06, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Having considered the qualifications of their disciples, even those Jnanis who know that bhakti and Jnana are one single out one as superior to the other. This is to prevent those who have been pursuing the practice of one as preferable to the other from abandoning that one and hankering after the other. 
V. 723, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

I completely agree with this. Abandoning one peactice for other,is actual missunderstanding of both. All the teachers deffend their own way od practice just because of this. It is one more play of the ego,and its way to avoid self extintion. Because,it is not even problem in abandoning,but in that,that ego actualy do this when it is very close.
Also,actual surrender is understanding that there is nothing to surrend. All is just play of conaciousness,ego is nothing,just pure imagination,and in realising this comes the point that all is just the way it is,and should be left just like it is. Coz there is no doer,it is abandoning even wish to surrend. Who is there to surrend???

Bhakti is something which is genuine so long we are not aware of it. It is pure love and devotion to one 'chosen' ideal. Which actualy jnana is. So we can turn all this the way we want,but complete devotion is asked in  any way.

Irronicaly,only real bhakta which I see here,who is completely devoted to his ideal,and even not aware of it,is Sri Subramanian. Like Bhagavan also was,and it is declared like jnani. So,all talk about actual difference betwean both,is empty talk.

Just some of mine,not so humble thoughts.

Thank You Very much,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: September 06, 2013, 06:51:33 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes. And Sri Muruganar sings in Verse 722 of the GVK:
“When you investigate you find that both parabhakti (Supreme Devotion) and Jnana are identical in revealing Swarupa. To claim that, out of these two, one is but the means to the other is due to not knowing the real nature of either.”

Sri Muruganar says that since Supreme Devotion is only the loss of the ego, this state is indeed Jnana-swarupa.

Remarkably, Sri David Godman has mentioned V. 19 0f the Upadesa Saram after the V. 722 in the GVK thus:
“To remain, through the power of contemplation, in the state of Pure Being, beyond thought, is the essential nature of Supreme Bhakti.”

Therefore, either way the ego has to be jettisoned to abide as the Atma-Swarupa. 

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: September 06, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
Sri Muruganar sings in Verse 722 of the GVK:
“When you investigate you find that both parabhakti (Supreme Devotion) and Jnana are identical in revealing Swarupa. To claim that, out of these two, one is but the means to the other is due to not knowing the real nature of either.”

A humble discernment, for either of us, for each one of us, everyone -

It is yet again, ourselves, who see through the eyes of the claimants - "out of these two, one is but the means to the other is due to not knowing the real nature of either."

There really isn't the other out there, in spirit.

We are all rebelling with ourselves in the end

:)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: September 06, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
An Excerpt from ‘The Path of Sri Ramana, Part Two’, authored by the great devotee, Sri Sadhu Om:

Jnana and Bhakti—Consciousness (Chit) and Bliss (Ananda) are the real aspects of Brahman. As Brahman is EXISTENCE (SAT) and Sat is the Reality, Bhakti and Jnana—the real aspects of Brahman—are nothing but Sat, the Reality, i.e., the real Bhakti or the real Jnana are nothing but Brahman Itself. According to the Supreme Teaching:
“Brahman alone shines directly as ‘I-I’,--the Atman.

“Bhakti and Jnana pave the way to the Self. To be as the Self is Jnana; and without loving the Self how to be IT? So, if one is as Self, it is the State of Fullness of Love. If one has ‘Bhakti’ one cannot but be as the Self. So Bhakti and Jnana are not two but the Self, like the two faces of the same coin.”

“Without the power of gravitation, can anything remain stable on earth? So, also, the pull of gravitation is Bhakti; the remaining stable is Jnana. Therefore, neither of them can remain without the other.”
Sadanai Saram

Thanks very much, dear Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: September 06, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »

Dear Sri Anil and Sri Nagaraj

GVK 723 is being quoted and then GVK 722 but you could easily start from say GVK 712 and just read on....

As GVK's authority comes from the fact  that Bhagavan himself checked and occassionally revised and added to this work, we can surely be confident that the truth is there in its wholeness and wholeness cannot easily be divided without creating duality in the mind.  Just a thought !

May "mauna" be the bridge that helps here

" Since only mauna, the swarupa that shines through the pure mind, abides as the final doorway to liberation, whichever of the accepted paths a person may hold onto and advance along, that doorway (mauna) alone is the ultimate entry point and refuge"

GVK 1185.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:18:03 PM by cefnbrithdir »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: September 06, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Beautiful quites! I completely agree,and I believe that nothing can be,or need to be added to this.

Thank You Very much,dear friend,Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: September 06, 2013, 08:40:29 PM »

Dear Sri Anil

Thank you for "Thrice Marvellous Master" - a great poem.

Loneliness of the struggling (ego) "I" is real in unreality - it wants to reach out.

I am thinking of Sri Annamalai Swami after Bhagavan had told him they should not speak again  - for his own benefit.
" If we met accidentally he would walk past me, without acknowledging my presence".

However " By severing the personal link between us, Bhagavan was trying to make me aware of him as he really is. Bhagavan had frequently told me that I should not attach a name and form to the Self or regard it in any way as a personal being".

But what tapas !

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: September 07, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

Thanks very much for your kind appreciation.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: September 07, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om:

“Bhagwan Sri Ramana is the biggest, the most powerful Divine Ganges nearest to us. Let us fall into this Divine Ganges. It will take us effortlessly to the ocean of Supreme Bliss. Let us be carried along the Path of Sri Ramana.  LET  THERE  BE   NO   SWIMMING    AGAINST   OR    ACROSS   THE   CURRENT.  Once fallen into this Divine Ganges (Sri Ramana),  TO  BE  INSINCERE  TO  HIS  TEACHING  IS  SWIMMING  AGAINST  THE  CURRENT.  To twist and interpret His Teachings  TO  FIT  OUR  AIMS,  is swimming across the current, i.e., using the power of the current , not to go to the ocean, but to reach some other points on either of the banks. To dedicate ourselves whole-heartedly and completely and to live the principles of Sri Ramana is being effortlessly carried along the current of that Divine Ganges, i.e., the Path of self-surrender. That which we reach then is nothing but the Ocean of Bliss.  LOVE   WHEN   REFINED  PERFECTLY, TAKES THE FORM  OF  LOVE  FOR  THE  SUPREME  THING.

Dear Devotees,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana is the Sadguru of this dark era in which gurus are proliferating like undesirable weeds everywhere. The main problem is one looks upon Sri Bhagwan’s Body almost exactly as one looks upon one’s own body, and not the WAY HE GAZED  AND  STILL GAZING. One identifies oneself with the body which one knows to be perishable. One transposes this idea of the body on the Deathless, Immortal Sadguru.  AND  THEREFORE, THE  SHEDDING  OF  THE  BODY  IS  TAKEN  TO  BE  A  FULL STOP.  One thinks that His Power to bestow Grace too came to an end with the passing away of the body. But we are aware that Sri Bhagwan was never the body; HE IS THE SELF.  He is the Existence  and the only Illumination there Is. Even while embodied He never limited Himself  to the Body. TRUTH  IS  THAT  THE  VERY  PURPOSE  OF  HIS  INCARNATION  IS  TO  BREAK  AND  DESTROY  THIS  VERY  ILLUSION  BY  CONSTANTLY  DRAWING  OUR  ATTENTION  TO  OUR  TRUE  NATURE.  Therefore, though Sri Bhagwan  assumed a Body as part of a Great Divine Drama, He was, and He is forever the bodiless Self, Eternal and Unchanging.  AND  HIS  TEACHING  OF  THE ATMA-VICHARA  AND  PATH  OF  SELF-SURRENDER  BEARS  THE  STAMP  OF  ETERNITY.  Since our illusion of individuality has been caused by the ‘Avichara’ or non-enquiry, Vichara or the Self-enquiry is the only antidote.  At this point, I also wish to reiterate that the Nature of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching is Holistic and this can be understood by practicing the Method,  FOR  THEN  ONE  IS  LINKED  FROM  THE  VERY  BEGINNING  TO  THE  SELF,  TO  THE  CONSCIOUSNESS  AND  TO  THE   BLISS.

Dear devotees, we do not need others’ testimonials to confirm that Sri Bhagwan is the only Existence and only Illumination. We cannot say with certainty how and why Sri Bhagwan enters one’s life.  BUT  EVERYONE  OF  US  IS  THE  TESTIMONY  HIMSELF  THAT  ONNCE  HE  ENTERS  A  DEVOTEE’S  LIFE,  ALL SEARCH  FOR  A  LIVING  GURU  IS  CERTAIN  TO  END. There is not even an iota of doubt about that, for His Grace envelops and fills every pore of one’s being with Bliss and the individual is lost forever in the vastness called Sri Bhagwan.  Countless number of devotees after His Mahasamadhi have come forward, and  are still coming forward increasingly and narrating how Sri Bhagwan entered their lives, taking more and more of their burden and responsibilities and simultaneously prodding, nudging, and leading them on to the Wonderland of Silence.

HENCE,   THE   QUESTION   OF   QUESTIONING   HIS   CONTINUED   PRESENCE   DOES   NOT   ARISE   IN  THE   LEAST.  If somebody questions, it is simply undesirable and unwarranted and  it is his own undoing.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #3371 on: September 07, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
Dear Sri Anil, friends,

Once I went to the Vitosha mountain (mountain next to my city) with my grandparents. Because of them I chose to take the shortest way to the destination we wanted to go. We took the road. But it was terrible. There was so much slopes, little stones, high stones which we should leap across and so on. They were so ehausted, they even thought we couldn't make it. But by God's Grace we arrived to our destination. On the way back we chose the longest way. It was so much easier. It was pleasure to walk. We didn't think about will we make it but instead we talked about so many interesting things. And the bonus was that this road takes us so much less time!

So in my mind there is no most direct, less direct, harder, easier path. It only depends on the person. The road we took was very difficult for my grandparents but it is almost easy for alpinists and people who go often to mountains. Sometimes something which is more direct takes a lot more time and is less productive for some people than other which is considered easier and more indirect.

Best wishes,
Hari
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: September 07, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »
HENCE,   THE   QUESTION   OF   QUESTIONING   HIS   CONTINUED   PRESENCE   DOES   NOT   ARISE   IN  THE   LEAST.  If somebody questions, it is simply undesirable and unwarranted and  it is his own undoing.    

Dear Sri Anil ji,

i see it quite clearly that this post of yours is rather a response to my musing, i wish to make it clear that my musings are a general are for my own self in my own journey. i felt it was rather unwarranted your above observation! what i expressed are rather simply devoid of any mischief.. and i was not even thinking about you or your views! You may respond to me directly, instead of posting behind curtains!

It is not for us to decide if somebody has to be forced with throat caught on hand to feel the continued presence of some Guru! IT does not mean, that one who feels a want for a living Guru, does not feel the presence of some Guru! It is quite evident how much such a person is a slave of 'knowledge'

As said earlier, this is simply rebelling with ones self! sheer politics is this response!

Wish you the very best Sri Anil Ji! Thanks so much!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: September 07, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
Sri Anil Ji,

i least expected this of you!

Dear Sri Anil and Sri Nagaraj

GVK 723 is being quoted and then GVK 722 but you could easily start from say GVK 712 and just read on....

As GVK's authority comes from the fact  that Bhagavan himself checked and occassionally revised and added to this work, we can surely be confident that the truth is there in its wholeness and wholeness cannot easily be divided without creating duality in the mind.  Just a thought !

May "mauna" be the bridge that helps here

" Since only mauna, the swarupa that shines through the pure mind, abides as the final doorway to liberation, whichever of the accepted paths a person may hold onto and advance along, that doorway (mauna) alone is the ultimate entry point and refuge"

GVK 1185.

Dear Sri cefnbrithdir,

I am afraid :)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: September 07, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
Friends,
Arjuna and ekalavya are both disciples of Dronacharya. :)
I will continue in the Rough-notebook thread.
Namaskar.