Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758344 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2475 on: October 15, 2012, 03:16:46 PM »
Quote from Sri Tushnim:
“Ashtavakra Gita says: Yadi deham prtak kritya, citti vishramya tishtasi. Adhunaiva sukhi shanto, bandha mukto bhavishyasi.
if one detaches oneself from body and remains seated as Awareness [I AM], immediately one is Happy and satisfied and is freed of all bondage.”

Dear Sri Tushnim,

Yes. Ashtavakra Gita says: Being fulfilled by this Knowledge and with his mind absorbed, and contented, the wise one lives happily, seeing hearing, touching, smelling and eating

Quote from Sri Tushnin:
“if i never move out: its summa iru.”

Yes. “I’ (Wise Man) never move out because:
“In the wise one whose worldly life is exhausted and who is no longer a man, there is neither any desire to harm nor mercy, neither insolence nor humility, neither wonder nor mental disturbance.
                                             Ashtavakra Gita

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: October 15, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan reiterates the same idea in the last verse of Arunachala Ashtakam. Like waters that have initially come from
rain clouds and then becoming rivers, should despite all the ways that they go, should come back to the ocean, the source.

The rain drops showered down by the clouds, risen from the sea cannot rest until they reach, despite all hindrance,
once again their ocean home. The embodied soul from You proceeding may through various ways self chosen wander
aimless for a while, but cannot rest till it rejoins You, the Source. A bird may hover here and there and cannot in mid heaven
stay. It must come back the way it went to find at last on earth alone its resting place. Even so the soul must turn to You, O
Aruna Hill, and merge again in You alone, Ocean of Bliss.

Incidentally there is a funny story about Vaigai river. This river in Madurai, a small river unlike Kaveri, starts from Podigai
mountains, runs through Madurai district but ultimately joins the Ramanathapuram lake. It does not merge in ocean.

One Tamizh poet sang: O Vaigai!  You are having a lot of self respect!  That Siva whose half the body is Parvati, was given
hala-hala poison by  the ocean (see Srimad Bhagavatam). And so you refuse to merge in that ocean, but in a lake!

Arunachala Siva.             

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: October 15, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Incidentally there is a funny story about Vaigai river. This river in Madurai, a small river unlike Kaveri, starts from Podigai
mountains, runs through Madurai district but ultimately joins the Ramanathapuram lake. It does not merge in ocean.

One Tamizh poet sang: O Vaigai!  You are having a lot of self respect!  That Siva whose half the body is Parvati, was given
hala-hala poison by  the ocean (see Srimad Bhagavatam). And so you refuse to merge in that ocean, but in a lake!”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. For a change, this is a funny story indeed.
So, the river Vagai is such a great devotee of Lord Shiva that she refused to rejoin the Ocean, her Source, because the Ocean had given hala-hala poison to Lord Shiva whose half the body is Mata Parvati. But Real Shiva is the Ocean of Pure Consciousness Himself. So, how can a jiva (a river) take upon himself the grief of offence to some imagined God? If he does so, he does so at the cost of his own permanent good, to remain languishing in some turbid lake rather than merging in the Great and Pure Ocean, the Source and permanent Abode of all jivas—Satchidananda! Or is there some specific significance attached to this funny story of the river Vagai?

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: October 15, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »
Dear Anil,

It was written in a lighter vein by the poet.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: October 16, 2012, 02:51:12 AM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Something for You friend.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: October 16, 2012, 08:57:39 AM »
Dear Sri Jewell,
AH ! YES. BUT THAT IS NOT ONLY SOMETHING. THAT IS EVERYTHING FOR ME. THAT IS ALL THERE IS.
WHEN MIND MELTS WITH LOVE OF HIM, HE REVEALS AS PURE LOVE, PURE KNOWLEDGE !
IN THAT PURE LOVE, IN THAT PURE KNOWLEDGE, I AND YOU ARE ONE, LOVE ITSELF !

Dear Sri Jewell, you are real jewel among us. Thanks very much for this love and knowledge- soaked gesture and message.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: October 16, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »
Q. But first of all we must find a Guru who can give us sufficient practice and thereby enable us to get rid of these gunas , mustn’t we ?
Sri Bhagwan : If we have earnestness to get rid of these qualities can we not find a Guru? We must have the desire to get rid of them. WHEN ONCE WE HAVE THIS THE GURU WILL HIMSELF COME, SEARCHING FOR US , OR HE WILL SOMEHOW MANAGE TO DRAW US TO HIMSELF. The guru will always be on the alert and keep an eye on us; Ishwara Himself will show us the Guru. Who else will look after the welfare of the children except the father himself? He is always with us, surrounding us. He protects us, as a bird protects its eggs by hatching them under the shelter of its wings. But we must have whole-hearted faith in Him.
Q. But Swamiji ! Guru’s Upadesa (instruction) is necessary for sadhana, isn’t it?
Sri Bhagwan : Oh! Is that so? But that upadesa is being given every day. Those who are in need of it, may have it.
Q. But Sri Bhagwan must bless us that we may be enabled to receive this instruction. That is our prayer.
Sri Bhagwan: BLESSING IS ALWAYS THERE.
                                                                 Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam 

Dear Devotees,

The above quote is in response to recent discussion in the Forum with regard to finding a real Guru in an age in which greedy and ambitious persons are brandishing themselves as Gurus, and the real Gurus are few and far between.

Dear devotees, our duty in this context is to cultivate love and devotion and desire for the Divine. Once one has this longing to get rid of the qualities and be One with the Divine, Sri Bhagwan has assured that the Guru is sure to come searching for such one. THERE SHOULD BE NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT. Therefore, one’s duty is to first have the ardent desire and deep longing. The Guru is within, without, and everywhere. GURU IS GOD HIMSELF WHO IS OUR REAL FATHER AND WE ARE HIS CHILDREN. He alone is responsible for the welfare of His children. He alone is our Protector and Saviour as the mother bird alone is the protector of its eggs by hatching them under the shelter of its wings.
THEREFORE, BALL IS IN OUR COURT.  BECAUSE HIS GRACE AND BLESSING ARE ALWAYS AVAILABLE; HERE, THERE, AND NOW.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: October 16, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
Anil,
Yes,The Guru has already found us,for we will not be attracted to the path if it had been otherwise!
Sri Aurobindo says this beautifully:"He who chooses the Infinite has been chosen by the Infinite. He has received the divine touch without which there is no awakening, no opening of the spirit; but once it is received, attainment is sure, whether conquered swiftly in the course of one human life or pursued patiently through many stadia of the cycle of existence in the manifested universe."
I am posting the wonderful chapter 'Four Aids' from The Synthesis of Yoga,by Sri Aurobindo which covers some of the Fundamental aspects of any form of Sadhana.
Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: October 16, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »
if it is the guru who attracts us and not the otherway round then why does some devotees lose faith in their guru and stop trusting this path or maybe go to other guru ?  :)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: October 16, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »
Dear prasanth, Tusnim and Ravi,

To say that 'I have seen this guru. Now I shall see the other guru also. -- This is the play of ego says, Guru Ramana Vachana Mala of
Lakshmana Sarma. Very very rarely, a change of guru is ordained for you, as in the case of Balarama Reddiar.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
“Also the Guru is not someone outside.If one is in Right earnest,whatever is required for him will happen.”

Dear Sri Ravi,
Ji. Yes. One who chooses Him has already been chosen by Him. Thanks very much, sir.
The above quote is from a reply to Sri Udai, which you posted yesterday, under a different thread. When I read these two lines, I felt that a deep chord has been touched, and gave me the inspiration to write and post my last post. Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: October 16, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
>> The disciple has to see a guru, genuinely.

yes agreed sir. we need to remind that it is only the disciples who when inspired by the other person's vairagya promotes him/her to various titles like swami,guru,baba,maharshi,maharaj and so on.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: October 16, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,
AH ! YES. BUT THAT IS NOT ONLY SOMETHING. THAT IS EVERYTHING FOR ME. THAT IS ALL THERE IS.
WHEN MIND MELTS WITH LOVE OF HIM, HE REVEALS AS PURE LOVE, PURE KNOWLEDGE !
IN THAT PURE LOVE, IN THAT PURE KNOWLEDGE, I AND YOU ARE ONE, LOVE ITSELF !

Dear Sri Jewell, you are real jewel among us. Thanks very much for this love and knowledge- soaked gesture and message.

Pranam,
  Anil

Dear Sri Anil,

Thank You Very much for so kind words,and Beautiful picture of our Great Guru,our Bhagavan!

Yes,it is Pure Love All that there Is,and nothing but Love! We can be only deeply greatful for this Pure Love our Guru is showering on us,for chance to felt it,live it,be it,for making us available for it,for taking us unselfishly into His Arms. By His Ever flowing Grace and Blessings we have opportunity to see ourselfs blossoming,to feel its fragance in our everyday life...

With prayers and love...

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: October 17, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that the seekers fall into two classes: ‘Kritopasaka’ and ‘akritopakasa’. The former has already overcome his predisposition by steady devotion, his mind thus made pure, and has had even some kind of experience but does not comprehend it; but as soon as he is instructed by a competent Master, permanent Experience results. He will raise the right and appropriate question for himself and SEEK AND FIND THE ANSWER IN HIMSELF AS THE UNBROKEN ‘I-I’. On the other hand, the other class (akritopakasa) needs a great effort to achieve this end.  For such class, hearing the truth, reflection and concentration will certainly help him, for they comprise upasana, which Sri Bhagwan says will end in his Self-Realisation.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that Sravana removes the illusion of the Self being one with the body, etc. Reflection makes it clear that Knowledge is Self. One-pointedness  reveals the Self as being Infinite and Blissful.
Sri Bhagwan says that a practiser may by long practice gain a glimpse of the Reality, and this experience may even be vivid for the time being, and yet he will be distracted by the old vasanas and his experience will not avail him. Therefore, such a seeker must continue his manana and nidhidhyasana so that all the vasanas are destroyed and all the obstacles removed. Then only he will be able to remain permanently in the Real State. We must understand that the obstruction to its continuity is the vasanas: If they are still there they are sure to rise with reinforced vigour after reflection. They must be held in check by the vigilance which consists in remembering ‘I am not the body’ and adhering to the direct knowledge gained in course of manana. Such practice is called nidhidhyasana and it is capable of removing the vasanas. Sri Bhagwan says that then dawns the Sahaja State, THAT IS JNANA FOR SURE. Thus the Indirect knowledge gained during Sravana becomes Direct knowledge spasmodically by manana and adhering to the Direct Knowledge till all vasanas are destroyed is nidhidhyasana.  That is the Sahaja, Jnana, for sure.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan taught Sravana, manana and nidhidhyasana vis-à-vis Self-enquiry thus:
(Source: Talks)
The enquiry “Who am I?” is the Sravana.
The ascertainment of the true import of ‘I’ is the manana.
The practical application on each occasion is nidhidhyasana.
BEING AS ‘I’ IS SAMADHI.
Therefore, It follows:
By Sravana “Who am I?”, Knowledge dawns. THAT IS THE FLAME.
By manana, the knowledge is not allowed to vanish, MEANING THAT OTHER THOUGHTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO OVERWHELM THE RIGHT KNOWLEDGE.
By nidhidhyasana, Says Sri Bhagwan, the flame is kept up to burn bright by trimming the wick. Whenever other thoughts arise, the mind is turned inward to the light of true knowledge.
AND WHEN THIS BECOMES NATURAL, IT IS SAMADHI.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: October 17, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
Anil,
Wonderful post.Thanks very much.
Namaskar.