Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758537 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2175 on: September 02, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »
Dear Ramanduli,
as far as I know the Sages compare Realization to sleepless sleep or conscious sleep, e.g. thoughts don't occur but Consciousness shines forth in Its fullness. But even if thoughts occur the Jnani does not consider them as Himself because He knows for sure His Identity with the Absolute.

But my humble opinion is that we cannot really understand intellectually what Realization is. It must be experienced to be known and all descriptions given to us are just for satisfaction of our questioning mind on one hand, on the other hand it is to try to describe as close as possible by relative examples what Reality really is. The truth is that we always experience this Reality but the clouds of thoughts prevent us from realizing It.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #2176 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
The atma vichara as Bhagavan says will lead us to the end where there is no God...

I don't agree on that point. There is God now. There is God after Realization too. Actually Realization means realization that God is your Inner Consciousness and only He is real.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: September 02, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
Dear Hari,

I agree with you. God outside becomes the Self, within you. All Gods are seen in objectified consciousness. The Self is
experienced as Consciousness within, on Self Realization.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:39 AM »
Quote:
“The atma vichara as Bhagavan says will lead us to the end where there is no God, no creation, no asuras and no devas. In deep sleep it occurs. But we need atma vichara constantly in waking state only till we have in deep sleeping state in waking state.
Am I correct?” Sri ramanduli
“I don't agree on that point. There is God now. There is God after Realization too. Actually Realization means realization that God is your Inner Consciousness and only He is real.”

Dear Sri ramanaduli and Sri Hari,

“The difference between God and individual is only in name, form and intelligence. They are the same in their essential nature as the Heart.”
                                   V. 24, Upadesa Saram

“When perception of name and form ceases, there is the vision of the Self. This is also the vision of God, for, God and the Self are the same.”
                                    V. 25, Upadesa Saram

Dear devotees, in my view, both of you are telling the same thing. Sri Bhagwan has taught that all triads including the triad of God, Jiva, and the world, arise depending on the ego. IF ONE ENTERS THE HEART BY THE QUEST OF ‘WHO AM I?’AND SEES THE TRUTH, THE SELF, ALL OF THEM WILL VANISH UTTERLY. Therefore, the triad of God, jiva and jagat is not an objective reality. So, Sri ramanaduli, in my view, is right when he says that the Atma-vichara will lead to the State where there is no triad, no asura, no Deva, no creation, etc.
Yes. All Gods are seen only in objectified consciousness. SELF IS EXPERIENCED AS THE EXISTENCE-CONSCIOUSNESS WITHIN, ON REALISATION.

It follows that God –as he really is—and the real Self— are one and the same. He, as He really is therefore, nameless, formless and without attributes of any kind. If He had attributes, He would be in relativity, and therefore unreal. This is the ultimate truth about God as revealed by Sri Bhagwan.   

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 03, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
Quote:
“as far as I know the Sages compare Realization to sleepless sleep or conscious sleep, e.g. thoughts don't occur but Consciousness shines forth in Its fullness. But even if thoughts occur the Jnani does not consider them as Himself because He knows for sure His Identity with the Absolute.

But my humble opinion is that we cannot really understand intellectually what Realization is. It must be experienced to be known and all descriptions given to us are just for satisfaction of our questioning mind on one hand, on the other hand it is to try to describe as close as possible by relative examples what Reality really is. The truth is that we always experience this Reality but the clouds of thoughts prevent us from realizing It.”

Dear Sri Hari
Yes. Nice. Self is Peace and Happiness. REALISING PEACE AND HAPPINESS WITHIN US IS ALONE THE TRUE REALISATION OF THE SELF. Till then it is only an idea. IDEA COMES AND GOES. WE ARE ALWAYS THAT. Therefore, if we want to replace this idea by the true experience, WE MUST PURSUE THE LINE, “TO WHOM DOES THIS IDEA COME? OR WHO HAS THIS IDEA?” TO  ITS  CULMINATION  IN  SELF-AWARENESS.

Yes. If ‘I am the body’ idea does not conceal Me, I am the perpetual Peace, free from all ideas whatever. 

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 03, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »
Lord Visnu: YOU ARE SELF KNOWLEDGE. You are OM. You are the beginning and the middle and the end of everything and illuminating everything.
Lord Shiva, manifesting as Sri Arunachala Hill, declares: As the moon derives its light from the sun, so other holy places shall derive their sanctity from Arunachala. THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE WHERE I HAVE TAKEN THIS FORMFOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WHO WISH TO WORSHIP ME AND OBTAIN ILLUMINATION.  ARUNACHALA  IS  OM  ITSELF.

I have betrayed Thy secret. Be not offended. Show me Thy Grace now openly and save me, Oh Arunachala!
                         V. 98, Sri Bhagwan, A.M.M.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Annamalai Swami also says that it is rare for Sri Bhagwan to make such an open declaration about something that He had done or accomplished. Sri Swami says that Sri Guhai Namasivaya, a saint, who lived on the Hill a few centuries ago, said in one of his poems that Sri Arunachala Hill will draw seekers in the same way that a magnet attracts iron.
Sri Sawmi says that in ancient times the Shakti , the Power of the Hill was hidden, but Sri Bhagwan made it open to everybody, as is obvious from the V. 98, A.M.M.
Such is the Power of Sri Arunachala  that Sri Bhagwan Himself has said that if one lives at the Foot of Sri Arunachala, one does not need any kind of initiation. If one’s intention is pure and holy, merely living here can be a good sadhana.

Sri Annamalai Swami: If you are attached to places, stay here in Tiruvannamalai for some time. THE BEST PLACE TO DISCOVER THE SELF IS HERE AT ARUNACHALA. THE POWER TO KNOW THE SELF IS AVAILABLE HERE. That has been the experience of many sages, including Bhagwan. ARUNACHALA IS THE SELF. RAMANA IS THE SELF. BOTHE ARE HERE. BOTH ARE INSIDE YOU.

Dear devotees, the Self within us has appeared in Tiruvannamalai as Sri Bhagwan and Sri Arunachala. Sri Bhagwan revealed that the mystery of Sri Arunachala is the mystery of the Self. ‘Some Shakti draws people from all parts of the Globe to this Centre. This Hill is wisdom in visible shape.’

Therefore, nothing should be done by us, HUMANS, to make It a tourist’s place or a picnic-spot, in short, a crowded place. The Sacred Hill attracts seekers from all over the world like a powerful magnet attracts iron-fillings. It is the best place in the world to discover the Self. IT, THE EMBODIMENT OF SELF-KNOWLEDGE   SHOULD   CONTINUE   TO   BE   THAT. Govt. of Tamil Nadu and Govt. of India are certain to do enough to protect Its precious flora and fauna.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: September 03, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »
Dear Anil,

Very beautifully expressed. After reading and imagining it, one can feel the inner happiness (bliss).

Many thanks!

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 04, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »
Dear Devotees,
It is mentioned in the Puranas that on the northern slope of Sri Arunachala, near the Summit, a great Sage known as Sri Arunagiri Yogi sits beneath a big Banyan Tree, in an almost inaccessible spot, teaching in Silence. The story of Sri Arunachala indicates that the Grace of Sri Arunachala, goading men through Mouna-diksha(Silent Initiation) on the Path of Self-enquiry to Liberation, though ever potent, had become inaccessible to the people of this spiritually dark age.

Dear devotees, it is a well known story that Sri Bhagwan, once while wandering on the northern slope of Sri Arunachala, saw a Big Banyan Tree on a large flat rock. It is also well known that He continued to climb but, as He was drawing nearer, He disturbed a hornet’s nest and the hornets in all fury attacked the Leg which had offended them, in revenge, Sri Bhagwan meekly  accepting the punishment. Sri Bhawan later pointed out the position of the almost inaccessible Banyan Tree but He never again set out to reach It and He discouraged His devotees who wished to do so.

But in spite of Sri Bhagwan’s discouragement, once a group of devotees, led by Sri Kunjuswami, set out determined to find It. Sri Kunjuswami, the author of the ill-fated journey  narrated about the incidence in his ‘Living with the Master’ thus:
Devotees’ Adventure and Sri Bhagwan’s Forgiveness:
( Sri Kunjuswami, Living With The master)

Sri Kunjuswami: Once we decided to go to the Hill Top. We engaged four coolies and asked them to carry food for us and wait at the Seven Streams on the way to the Top. Mrs. Taleyarkhan, Cohen, some devotees from the Bose compound and some devotees from outside, in all about forty, left as a group. We prostrated before Sri Bhagwan before we left.  Muruganar, Mungala Venkataramayya, Kalyansundaram Iyer, an English devotee by name Thomson and his friend, a Zamindar’s son, and the friend’s bodyguard and myself had planned to go and see first the large Banyan Tree referred to by Sri Bhagwan and to join the other party later. This was a secret agreement among us and we did not tell either Sri Bhagwan or the other members of the party whom we saw off at Namasivaya cave.
Keeping in view  the Three Streams mentioned by Sri Bhagwan, we started climbing the Hill at 6 a.m. Around noon, we crossed the Three Streams and reached A STEEP PLACE. We could not see either the Foot or the Top of the Hill. We were perplexed. We could not see Muruganar. We looked for him and  saw him in a bush. When we called him, he came crawling on all fours like a child. We asked him why he walked like that. He said, “How should I walk then?” Venkataramayya was lying on the ground breathless. Kalyansundaram Iyer was speechless, Thompson was sitting absolutely stunned. His friend and the servant were sobbing in fear. I, who was responsible for all this, did not know what to do.
‘This is my end,’ I thought. I felt wretched that I would be leaving the world without seeing Sri Bhagwan’s Face.I wept. Even if I was saved, if one of my companions died how could I go and see Sri Bhagwan? In case such a thing happened, I felt I should give up my life also. The thought that I wouldn’t see Sri Bhagwan anymore made me feel wretched. Till then I had not prayed for anything. On this occasion, a prayer came out of me: “Oh Lord! See that we don’t meet our end without seeing you. Please forgive us.”     
Almost immediately I saw a wood cutter at a distance and shouted to him. He did not respond thinking that we were forest guards. We waved our ochre robes and said we were from the Ashram and he need not be afraid of us. He came to us and said, “Why did you come here? You can’t go to the Hilltop from here.” When we said we wanted to go to the Seven Springs, he took us by our hands and brought to the others, who were waiting for us. By Sri Bhagwan’s Grace there was a light shower which drenched us and we felt cool and refreshed.
The others had eaten and wondered what had happened to us. Looking at our torn clothes and the scratches on our body, they teased us for attempting to go to the Banyan Tree without telling them.
We ate, took some rest and came down to Virupaksha Cave. We all wondered how we could go and see Sri Bhagwan in this state. What could we tell Him? First we sent Thompson and his friend to their house in town, we sent away Mrs. Taleyarkhan, Cohen and others also. Four of us stayed back till dusk and went to Palakothu.

In the meantime, Thompson and his friends went straight to the Ashram, as they felt they should see Sri Bhagwan, who had saved them from a dangerous plight. They prostrated to Sri Bhagwan outside the Hall without being seen by Him. Mungala also did likewise.

Without knowing any of this, I went to Palakothu, had my bath and went and prostrated before Sri Bhagwan around 7 p.m. Sri Bhagwan said, “What mischief have you done?” I was completely shaken by this question. “The Zamindar’s son came in an awful condition and prostrated outside the Hall. Mungala, whose condition was worse, did the same. You come and stand before me in all innocence. What mischief have you done?”

I narrated everything that has happened. I said, “If we had told you of our plan first, you wouldn’t have given us permission. Hence we left without telling You. We have been punished for going without your permission. Please forgive us.” Sri Bhagwan said, “If you had told me, I would have asked not to go. All right.“ I  took His “all right” for forgiveness and was greatly relieved.

Dear devotees, Sri Muruganar, Sri Mungala, Sri Kunjuswami and others, who embarked on this ill-fated journey, were all great and distinguished devotees of Sri Bhagwan and it is very surprising that they undertook a journey, which Sri Bhagwan disapproved. It is true that Sri Bhagwan seldom forbade His devotees, in the present case,  it was clearly not appropriate to attempt from what the Guru Himself had refrained, after the hornet incidence. Therefore, devotees themselves invited their plight, by finding themselves in so precarious a position that they dared  proceed neither up nor down. And ultimately they prayed to Sri Bhagwan and by His Grace and Mercy, managed to come back to the Ashram, as narrated by Sri Kunjuswami himself above.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: September 04, 2012, 01:40:07 PM »
Dear Anil.

This is a wonderful story concerning Sri Bhagavan and also His devotees. The banyan tree in northern slope of Hill -
called Vada Ala maram, is where Arunagiri Siddha is also said to stay. Sri Bhagavan mentions this in His Arunachala
Mahatmyam translation in Tamizh verses.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: September 04, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
Dear Sri Anil, Very intersting story. Thank You for sharing it.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 04, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
Quote:
“This is a wonderful story concerning Sri Bhagavan and also His devotees.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Jewell

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. This is indeed a wonderful story. I have neither seen nor heard anything like that before.  Although there are many wonderful stories concerning Sri Bhagwan and His loving devotees, this one has a special place in their lives. Sri Bhagwan offers the offending Leg to the hornets, to be attacked furiously by them, and Himself meekly accepting the punishment! It at once teaches so many spiritual lessons.
Dear sir, we must all have done some sadhana in our past births to come to His Feet in this birth. Now that we have come, insignificant jivas that we are, we cannot hope to pay back.
However:
‘To keep your teachings constantly in mind,
To watch your conduct attentively and learn the lessons thereof,
To dispel the delusion of the ego and abide firmly in the Self like You—
That is the service which all devotees should render to
You their Sad-Guru, O Ramana !’

Sri G. V. Subbaramayya

Pranam,
  Anil   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: September 04, 2012, 03:18:11 PM »
Dear Sri Anil, Yes,Very true. What can we do only,is to abide in the Self,like our Guru Ramana told us to do. And enjoy such a wonderful stories.:-)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: September 04, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »
Dear Anil. Jewell,

Once G.V. Subbaramiah brought her two daughters to Asramam during Christmas vacation from his place in Andhra.
The two young girls cheered the devotees in the Hall. The elder one was a little docile and the younger one was mischievous.
Once the younger one (I think her name is Indira) was taking books one by one from the book-shelf behind Sri Bhagavan's
sofa and was disturbing the arrangement. Once Sri Bhagavan asked: Aye, enna panRe? yei. what are you doing? The girl
said I am staying summa! Sri Bhagavan said: See, she is doing some work there but she says I am still. This is the essence of
atma vichara. One can do any work and still be still in mind.

Later, Indira took one book and asked Sri Bhagavan what it was. Sri Bhagavan saw the verse, deham, naham, koham, soham,
'Body, I am not?, Who am I?,  I am Siva.

Sri Bhagavan said: Please repeat the four words, deham, naham, koham, soham.  The girl repeated it faithfully several times
and then Sri Bhagavan said: This is enough for you. Don't forget these words.

On the day of leaving for back home, Sri Bhagavan touched Indira's head and said: Don't forget deham, naham, koham, soham.

Indira and Lalita and their father returned home. Within three months, Indira became afflicted with some unknown fever
and during that high fever time also, she was telling deham, naham, koham, soham..... She died peacefully within a few
days.

G.V. Subbaramiah buried her body at the back of his house and raised a small samadhi, with inscription deham, naham, koham,                     
soham.

When GVS informed about the demise of Indira and what he had done, Sri Bhagavan approved his step.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: September 04, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

What a touching story... I am deeply touched by it...
The life of Bhagavan is full of wonderful stories and happenings. His life itself is Ultimate teaching,He didnt have to give any formal teaching because we can learn everything from it. What a Wonder..

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: September 04, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »
Dear Anil, Jewel,

This verse from which the first words on all the four lines, were given by Sri Bhagavan to Indira is as under:
It appears as Verse 10 of Ulladu Narpadu - Anubhandam - Sat Darsanam - Supplement:

தேஹம்  கடம் நிகர் ஜடம் இதற்கு அஹம் எனும் திகழ்வு இலதால்
நாஹம் சடலம் இல் துயிலிநில் தினம் உறு நமது இயலால்
கோ ஹ ம் கரன் எவன் உளன் உணர்ந்து உளக் குறையுள்ளே
சோஹம் புரண அருணகிரி சிவ விபு சுயம் ஒளிர்வான்

Arunachala Siva.