Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 768135 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2160 on: August 31, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »
On the 49th day, when the disciples opened the door, they found nothing inside. Not even his body. He just merged in five
elements!  His philosophy in Saiva Siddhantam which is bordering on Advaitam. He also stressed the need for food distribution

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Although underlying essence is the same, two Jnanis, while embodied, are not similar in their conduct. Sri Ramlinga Swamigal’s Life is extraordinary and the dissolution of His body into five elements is quite unusual.
Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: August 31, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »
Quote:
“Preparatory work towards the goal of enlightenment can proceed step-by-step but to "reach the other shore" requires a leap over a gulf.
What exactly is it that you understand on the other shore? First you come to realize that enlightenment was within you all along. You become enlightened when you finally recognize that you already had it. The next realization is that there actually is no "other shore" since reaching it means realizing that there was nothing to reach. "

Dear Deepa,

Yes. That is true. All that insignificant jivas do is the preparatory works towards the Goal of Realisation. That effort is undoubtedly sine-qua-non. But can finite work of the finite jivas produce an infinite result, that is, the Realisation of the Self? No way.
Therefore, yes. When the preparatory work is complete, Realisation is due to the Shining Light of Grace alone, which is, as quoted above by you, a leap over the gulf. That is also the reason why when the preparatory work is complete, Final Realisation happens in a flash. It took Sri Bhagwan only a few minutes and He was the Fully Realised Sage after the Experience was over.

Dear Deepa, the above quoted teaching is similar to Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching. Sri Bhagwan has taught that ‘true Jnana is not something that is attained. It exists as one’s own Swarupa, as one’s own Self.’

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: August 31, 2012, 09:02:11 AM »
Even if the most insignificant of your devotees
come to possess a desire,
you enable them to be enthroned
in the royal assembly
of the king of the gods.
  Ramana Puranam

Dear Devotees,

What follows is a very important conversation between Sri Bhagwan and Sri H.W.L. Poonja, which I felt should be read and understood by all devotees and seekers, whatever the path:

Sri Bhagwan: The Guru never does anything in response to a devotee’s request because He has no sankalpa, no ability to act with a particular goal in mind. BUT BY ABIDING IN THIS DESIRELESS STATE, A SANNIDHI, A PRESENCE , IS CREATED THAT AUTOMATICALLY TAKES CARE OF ALL THE DEVOTEES’ NEEDS AND REQUESTS. I presume you agree with this.
Sri Poonja replies: The enlightened man, the Jnani, does not do anything.  He just sits quietly, like a mountain. He does not respond to your requests by doing anything, but if you go near Him with a desire in your mind, there will be an automatic response. If you throw a rubber ball at a wall, it will bounce back. The angle and speed of the ball off the wall will depend on the angle and speed at which you throw it. The wall does not have to decide how to respond to the incoming ball. When you go into the Presence of a Jnani with desires in your mind, the appropriate response comes back automatically. You don’t have to talk about them. If your mind is in the Presence of of a Jnani, it will be flinging its desires at the wall of His Enlightenment, and that wall will give you back what you desire or need. But if you go into the Presence of a Jnani without any thoughts or desires, what will be reflected back will be the state of thoughtlessness and desirelessness . IN HIS PRESENCE YOU WILL BE ESTABLISHED IN THAT STATE. THIS IS THE SANNIDHI, THE PRESENCE OF A JNANI, AT WORK.
YOU DON’T NEED TO ASK FOR ANYTHING. JUST GO NEAR HIM.     

Dear devotees, how wonderful! BY ABIDING AS THE SELF, A SANNIDHI, A PRESENCE, IS GENERATED, WHICH AUTOMATICALLY TAKES CARE OF THE DEVOTEES’S NEEDS AND DESIRES! And the cited verse above teaches that there is no limit to the desires that the Guru can fulfil. By the ‘insignificant devotees’ mentioned in the Verse, those devotees are implied who come to Sri Bhagwan with worldly desires. The note says that the statement that devotees can become enthroned as king of the gods is merely a metaphor to indicate that there is no limit to the desires that the Guru can fulfil.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: August 31, 2012, 11:22:04 AM »
Dear Anil,

Very nice. His Presence does all the work. His Presence changed Wolter A. Keers without a single word exchanged between them.
His Presence changed Narikutti Swami. His Presence changed Sri Ramanagiri Swami. No need to ask anything.

Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai Verse 16 says:

As a magnet draws iron, draw me to Yourself, O Arunachala,
hold me fast and be one with me.

What does a powerful magnet do?  The mere presence of it draws the iron filings. The iron filings do not speak to it or
express its desire. Just going near, and be near is sufficient.

Arunachala Siva.   

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: August 31, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »
Dear All,

In my journey so far, I've gained "some" self control and also stopped retaliating people. But I am not able to control my emotions esp when some one is harsh towards my dear mother. Its not that I am retaliating but some how not able to control my inner emotions and I am not getting answers for it. What should I do in such case?

I will be very grateful if some one gives me a light on this, as this question is very personal to me. It will be even more relaxing if any one shares teachings of our master related to the same subject.

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: August 31, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »
Dear Anil,

In the post of yesterday, I had given a translation of song. This is from Thayumanavar and not Chidambaram Ramalinga
Swamigal. However, the brief history of life is that of Ramalinga Swamigal.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: August 31, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
Sage Sri Thayumanavar:
“The mind was born there only  (that is Heart)
The mind became dead there only (that is Heart)
All thought emanate from there only (that is Heart)
When I see (and do not understand my true nature) two only from there!”

So, it is the great Sage Sri Thayumanavar who sang the song of ‘Hridaya Vidya’. Thanks very much, sir.

Ji. Yes. If one is sincere, there is no need to petition Him for the fulfilment of worldly desires, or for that matter, any desire. Once He enters one’s life, everything genuinely needed is taken care of. If one loves Him, worships Him, and walks the Path shown by Him, one is already ever in His Sannidhi, His Presence. Then what need is there to keep petitioning Him for this and that?
Ji. Yes. BEING NEAR HIM IS ENOUGH.

Pranam,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: August 31, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
Dear Sri Vinod,

This is only an unwanted thought. As you are aware, all these thoughts appear in Jagrat. They appear and flower in the waking state because of the appearance of the ‘I’-thought. These thoughts hide our inherent happiness.

Sri Bhagwn has taught that abhyasa consists in withdrawal into the Self every time one is disturbed by a thought. Therefore, if we have faith in our Guru and His Percepts, abhyasa is only to prevent any disturbance to the inherent peace that we are. So, prevent this thought at this moment, for we are only in our natural state whether we make abhyasa or not.
Dear Sri Vinod, in as much as we raise these questions, abhyasa, it shows that we require abhyasa. Sri Bhagwan says that remaining without questions or doubts is the Natural State.     

Dear Sri Vinod, you have mentioned about ‘control of mind’ in your post.
What is mind? WHOSE IS THE MIND? It is the nature of the mind to wander and be assailed by myriad thoughts. But we are not the mind. The mind springs up and sinks down. It is impermanent and transitory. We are eternal. Therefore, do not identify with these rising and sinking thoughts. Never mind the mind. If its source is sought, it will vanish leaving ‘US’, THE SELF, AS IT IS.

Dear Sri Vinod, see who you are. You are the Peace. Be that Peace and these thoughts will not assail. This is the Teaching and therefore the only advice that I can give you.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: August 31, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
Dear Anil,

This is precisely what Sri Bhagavan says in Upadesa Saram, Verse 19 & 20.

19.   When once turns within and searches
        Whence this I thought arises
        The shamed I vanishes -
       And wisdom's quest begins.

20.   Where this I notion faded
        Now there as I, as I, arises
       The One, the very Self, The Infinite.

Arunachala Siva.   

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: August 31, 2012, 09:58:18 PM »
Sri Bhagwn has taught that abhyasa consists in withdrawal into the Self every time one is disturbed by a thought.
Dear Sri Vinod, see who you are. You are the Peace. Be that Peace and these thoughts will not assail.

Anil Ji,

These are the words which I will immerse inside me and will never forget. You have my sincere gratitude, since the issue I've mentioned was bothering me a lot and in fact I was so disturbed that I was mentally upset. However now this not gonna happen as I've found cure for it.

Thanks a ton!

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: September 01, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan taught that happiness is within, as our own Self. It exists as our own Swarupa. “LOOK IN WARDS AND FIND IT.” Still we think that we have to do something or go somewhere to discover it. Such is the power of maya, of illusion. Sri Bhagwan used to say that it is akin to a person who is neck-deep in water and crying for water, or like one fish in the ocean asking for direction to it from another fish.

This is the tragic outcome of the erroneous impression and fallacious understanding, resulting in concepts which were reinforced birth after birth, that the location of happiness is outside, and furthermore, that one has to do something or to go somewhere to reach it. We must somehow make ourselves to understand that it is only belief in this illusion that makes the mind search for happiness in the relative world outside.

Dear devotees,
 We would do much better if we understand:

Even while the search for happiness or the Self is on, in the outside world, that which is sought is, in reality, that through which the seeing was taking place. This is so simple, yet it is surprising that we are not able to grasp it. Such is the power of the illusion. Since we are searching, question is searching what? That obviously implies that we are searching for an object. We are searching our own Self, the Swarupa, or true ourselves, are we not? So, we, the subjects, are seeking ourselves as objects, which is well- neigh impossible.
Dear devotees, when this search is however taken to its culmination, WE FIND THAT THE OBJECT WE WERE LOOKING FOR FINALLY TURNED OUT TO BE THE SUBJECT THAT WAS DOING THE SEEING.

The spurious mind sets up the notion that ‘my own Self or Swarupa’ needs to be found, and then even solemnly proceeds to hunt for it as if It were some objects located in some interior place. The mind enjoys such search for an object in the outside world, for it feels fulfilled on thus obtaining it.

Therefore, there is no doubt that this is in truth sheer foolishness. This is as foolish, and even more, as a woman wandering around, looking for her necklace, and asking everyone she meets where she might find it, while all the time it was wrapped around her neck.
SUCH IS THE POWER OF THE MAYA. PENETRATE IT BY THE SHEER INTENSITY OF THE VICHARA, AS TAUGHT, AND BY HIS GRACE, REACH, BE, AND REAMAIN AS THE SWARUPA. THAT IS OUR ONLY DUTY. IS IT NOT?
Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: September 01, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »
   When once turns within and searches
        Whence this I thought arises
        The shamed I vanishes -
       And wisdom's quest begins.

Where this I notion faded
        Now there as I, as I, arises
       The One, the very Self, The Infinite.

Whatever we may say, sir, but this open proclamation of ‘Hridaya Vidya’ gives a great hope to seekers all over the world, irrespective of caste, creed and faith and time and space. There are no two “I’s. So, the ‘I’ of which we are aware in the waking state is a mere notion, a reflection of the Real—a thief, arrogating to itself, the Real Self and camouflaging It. So, when one turns within and searches, can such a spurious entity survive the onslaught of the focussed enquiry? This notion is bound to fade, being an imagined notion. And it is perfectly understandable that where this ‘appearing-disappearing’ notion faded, from THERE itself, the Real Self as ‘I-I’ will arise.  That is the Swarupa, the Self Supreme. IT NEVER RISES, NEVER SETS.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: September 01, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »

“These are the words which I will immerse inside me and will never forget.”

Dear Sri Vinod,

Yes. These are the Immortal Words of Bhagwan Sri Ramana, the Sadguru of the age. If we cling to them and make them our very life, they are certain to take us to the Shore of Freedom from slavery to unending sorrowful desires as well as hate and anger which have bound us in their shackles, and establish in out true Bliss-Nature.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: September 02, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The Lord of the Gita declare in Ch. 16 that there are two types of characters in creation—the Asuric and the Daivic. I cite here a few Verses from this Chapter, which describe what constitute the Demonic heritage and what constitute the Divine heritage, thus:

Fearlessness, purity of heart, steadfastness in knowledge and devotion, control of senses, worship, study of scriptures, austerity, uprightness;  non-violence, truthfulness, freedom from anger, aversion to slander, compassion to living beings, freedom from  sensuality, gentleness, modesty, steadfastness; Vigour, patience, purity, harmlessness, freedom from vanity—all these, O scion of the Bharatas, are present in those born to a Divine Heritage.
                                 V. 16-1, 2, &3, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

The Great Lord says that it is deemed that the Divine Heritage leads to liberation and the demonic to bondage.

In this world there are two types of creation, the divine and the demonic. The Divine Heritage has been described and now hear from Me what constitute the Demonic Heritage, O son of Prtha.

Men of the demonic nature know not what should be done and what should be avoided. Neither purity, nor good conduct, nor truthfulness is found in them. According to them nothing is ultimately real in this world. It is Godless and without any moral basis. Being born of sexual union, what else but lust can be said to be its cause? Holding such views, these lost souls—these men of little understanding—given, as they are, to cruel deeds opposed to general well-being, appear as agents for the destruction of the world. Steeped in lust, motivated by hypocrisy, vanity, arrogance and avarice, they work in pursuit of false values entertained through delusion.
                             V. 16—7, 8, 9& 10, Srimad Bhagavad Gita   

And more:
Obsessed with numerous cares all through life, looking on sex indulgence as the highest aim, convinced that there is no higher purpose in life than this, bound with a hundred cords of hopes and expectations, and enslaved by lust and anger, they strive to accumulate wealth in improper ways for the fulfilment of their sensuous desires.
                              V. 16—11& 12, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear devotees, obviously, one who wishes to live a spiritual life should follow the divine ideals as delineated above by the Lord Himself and shun the demonic traits. Sexuality, anger and greed are those human traits which make us more and more demonic. THEREFORE, THEY ARE THREE GATE-WAYS TO HELL. Sexuality, anger and greed are natural to an unregenerate man. Regulating and overcoming them is what morality is all about and, of course, gateway to spirituality.

These vicious men, oppressive, cruel and sinful as they are—are always hurled down by Me into demonic wombs in life after life, in the transmigratory cycle. O son of Kunti ! Falling into demonic wombs, in life after life, they go to still lower states of degradation, without attaining Me.
                                  V. 16—19& 20, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear devotees, by the above it is not to suggest that men of Demonic Heritage are eternally damned. Creation or transmigratory cycles are said to be an unending process, and perpetual involvement and indulgence in it is attaining to the most heinous destiny—demonic wombs birth after birth. However, still there are hopes and possibility of salvation even for such men of Demonic Heritage.   Divine Grace may descend on them through Sages and Saints and may bring about cataclysmic change in such men.

Dear devotees, Having discussed a few Verses from the Chapter 16 of the Gita, which deals with the Divine Heritage and Demonic Heritage, I now wish to draw your attention to the Teaching of the Great Sage and the Sadguru, Bhagwan Sri Ramana, thus:

“All good qualities or daivic qualities are included in Jnana and all bad asuric qualities are included in ajnana. WHEN JANA COMES ALL AJNANA GOES AND ALL DAIVIC QUALITIES COME AUTOMATICALLY. If a man is a Jnani He cannot utter a lie or do anything wrong. It is, no doubt, said in some books that one should cultivate one quality after another and thus prepare for ultimate moksha, BUT FOR THOSE WHO FOLLOW THE JNANA OR VICHARA MARGA THEIR SADHANA IS ITSELF QUITE ENOUGH FOR ACQUIRING ALL DAIVIC QUALITIES; THEY NEED NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE.”
                                      Sri Bhagwan, Day by Day With Bhagwan   

Dear devotees, if therefore we are pursuing the sadhana of Vichara, we need not necessarily adopt a discipline to cultivate divine qualities, OUR SADHANA ITSELF IS ENOUGH, THUS ASSURES SRI BHAGWAN RAMANA.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil               

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: September 02, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »
The atma vichara as Bhagavan says will lead us to the end where there is no God, no creation, no asuras and no devas. In deep sleep it occurs. But we need atma vichara constantly in waking state only till we have in deep sleeping state in waking state.
Am I correct?

Ramanaduli