Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757044 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1755 on: May 24, 2012, 06:36:10 PM »
Dear i,

you have rightfully observed, that bodilessness is a foregone conclusion, when one discerns the weight of:

“Be still and know that I am God.”
To be still is not to think. Know, and not think, is the word.

It is also important to note that, the above revelation is essential, basically to 'know' the Self, or to know that which is God. Because, there has already been an effort to 'know' the Self. All these exercises and great revelations are only to 'know' the Self.

Once one has 'known' the Self, once when one has seen the Self, with absolutely no doubts or any more dilemmas, or any kind of 50 50 feelings; there is no more a requirement for such a one to "be still" or do "Self Enquiry" or again repeatedly remain still to know the Self again and again and again.

Knowing is only Once, once it has been known, there is no need to know it again! Jnana vasana or Knowledge is vasana that again propels one to again look within, does self enquiry, and goes through needless discernment again and again, even though he has seen the Self.

For such a one, there is nothing more to do, his own sweet will is his action. all the revelation about thoughtlessness, stilling the mind, looking within, etc.. were only for one to be able to realise the Self or know the Self.

There is no question of Being the Self, Knowing itself is being, unknowingly, we have thought in the past that being is yet again some other level to attain, after 'knowing' the Self.

I do not know how many are able to see what i have tried to convey here, but it is certainly greatly releiving, what ever i just saw, and am conveying it here immediately!

There is nothing more to do, nothing to become!

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 24, 2012, 06:39:57 PM »
And all these line of thoughts or ideas such as, one who has known, will have no need to stay in forum, or he would renounce the world and go away, or he would not declare, etc... all such statements are only ideas, but far from truth!

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 24, 2012, 06:46:46 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Sri Bhagavan clearly elucidates in Verse 32 of Ulladu Narpadu:

When the Vedas have declared, 'Thou art That' -- not to seek and find the nature of the Self and abide in it, but to think
'I am that, not this' is want of strength. Because, That abides for ever as the Self.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

In the Vedanta’s Teaching, ‘Thou art That’ or ‘I am Brahman’, ‘I’ or ‘thou’ is the ego whereas ‘That’ is the Brahman. Ego’s identification with the Brahman at best can serve the purpose that it may not identify with the physical body etc. But that is not the purpose of the Vedanta. Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan teaches that after learning the Vedanta Text, one should enquire into the nature of the Self and remain as That. The Vedantic Teaching ’Thou art That’ does not teach that the ego is Brahman, but that the Pure Consciousness or the Awareness alone is the Self which is Brahman. Sri Bhagwan says that the significance and true import must be traced and understood rather than repeating the bare words or think of them.
Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Quote from Sri Udai
“The Firmness of conviction has to be maintained. We are all Ramana Alone! So that attitude, can we maintain it please ? Mind is not me, body is not me ! And so all the games of mind  ... all that mind tries to convince us ... can we discard all that nonsense holding onto the Firmness that this body is a vehicle and who sits inside is Ramana alone ?  ”

Dear Sri Udai,
Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir. AND WHEN MIND MELTS IN LOVE FOR HIM, OR ONE MERGES IN ONE’S SOURCE WITHIN, HE REVEALS HIMSELF AS PURE KNOWLEDGE.
Regards,
  Anil

Quote from Sri Nagaraj:
“D.: What is moksha (liberation)?

M.: Moksha is to know that you were not born.

“Be still and know that I am God.”

To be still is not to think. Know, and not think, is the word.

(Talks 131)”

Dear Sri Nagaraj:

Ji. Yes. That is true.The experience of ‘I am’ is to be still. Sri Bhagwan teaches to realise ‘I am’ and not to think, ‘I am’.
It is:
“Know I am God” and not
“Think I am God.”

SILENCE ALONE IS TRUTH. SILENCE ALONE IS TRUE ’I’.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: May 25, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Quest or Enquiry in the form ‘Who am I?’ soon makes us see the trap all round and at all levels, and helps us to get disentangled from the ever so obvious. If we face this question we gradually get released from the trap of the ever so obvious body, mind, senses, etc. BUT FACE IT WE MUST.

I AS AN EGO AM BORN AFRESH INFINITE TIMES EVERY DAY. But there is no reality and no permanency in any one of them. So, the relative existence as an ego is nothing other than an imaginary image in our head. In truth, we were never born.
Dear devotees, when I say, ‘I was never born’, it appears, on the face of it, to go straight against the common sense, accepted reality and even respectability of the empirical world. Therefore, realisation of truth requires courage, and a lots of it.

It must be understood that Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching requires complete disappearance of everything I call ‘I’ and at all levels. For instance, what I call ‘my body’ is only an imagined stand-point which must go away. Similarly, what we call ‘my mind, my thoughts, my feelings, etc.’ must disappear.

Sri Bhagwan teaches that entities, such as, ‘I’ and ‘mine’ do not exist. And when the illusion of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ goes away, that which I call ‘my body’ is seen to be non-existent. It then becomes obvious to the seeker that the body exists only in imagination.
WHOSE IMAGINATION? ‘I’, ‘MINE’ AND ‘ME’ ARE PARTS OF THE IMAGINED. The dreamer is the part of the dream. IS IT NOT? WHEN THE DREAM DISAPPEARS, SO DOES THE DREAMER.

Thank you,
  Anil           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: May 25, 2012, 09:54:11 AM »
 Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
"Bodilessness is a foregone conclusion!"

Dear Sri  Subramanian Sir,

Ji.Yes. Bodilessness is a forgone conclusion. All we need do is to stay with this discernment, as Sri Nagaraj so beautifully once said. Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: May 25, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
Dear Anil,

The body will not say 'i'. The Satvastu - uLLa poruL, is ever shining. Then what is creating the problem? In this body, (which is
not really there), there sprouts one which is called with a variety of names as Chitjada granthi, bondage, jiva, sukshma sarira, ego, samsara, mind. Even this ego is formless.  It grabs a form, it stands always with a form, it gulps the forms and becomes fattened. It
will leave a form and catch another form. If sought, it will run away. It is formless ego-ghost. (Verses 24 and 25 of Ulladu Narpadu).

24. The body which is matter says not 'i'. Eternal Awareness rises not nor sets. Between the two, bound by the body, rises the
thought of 'i'. This is the knot of matter and Awareness. This is bondage, jiva, subtle body, ego. This is Samasra, this is the mind.

25. Holding a form it rises; holding a form it stays; holding and feeding on a form it thrives. Leaving one form, it takes hold of another;
When sought, it takes to flight. Such is the ego-ghost with no form of its own.

Arunachala Siva.             

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: May 25, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

That is why this formless ego-ghost has been termed as the hydra-headed by many devotees of Sri Bhagwan. In waking and dream states only this ego-ghost is manifest, while in sleep it remains dormant, and is said to be  resolved in nescience.  So, these states are changing. These changing states along with the ego-ghost, in truth, are illusory. They do not exist. Rope alone exists. Snake in the rope never existed.

Sri Bhagwan says in V. 27 of the Ulladu Narpadu that only in the state in which ‘I’ does not rise, we are That. Therefore, however much we argue here, ultimately it is after attainment of self-extinction alone that we can stay in our true nature where the Self is That.

BEING ‘THAT’ IS BEING THE TRUE SELF, THAT IS, BEING ONESELF, FOR ONESELF ALONE IS THAT.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: May 26, 2012, 07:04:11 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The objects, thoughts, feelings or emotions are all false mental conceptions and the mind rises only after the rise of the ego or the ‘I’-thought. Ego rises from the ABSTRACT CONSCIOUSNESS OR PURE INTELLIGENCE. So, Consciousness is the only truth and all else, such as, mind, ego, body, soul, etc., are mere words.

So, Consciousness is the only Truth and its nature is Bliss. BLISS ALONE IS. In Bliss there is no enjoyer to enjoy. Bliss is that in which enjoyer and joy merge.
BLISS= ENJOYER+JOY

Dear devotees, I am the Self. Can I prove that I am not the Self? Therefore, thinking that I have not yet realised the Self is the obstruction. Sri Bhagwan says that we must get rid of the ideas that we are ajnanis yet to realise the Self that we are! WE ARE THE SELF. IS THERE A TIME WHEN I AM APART FROM THE SELF, FROM MYSELF, FROM ONESELF?

Dear devotees, are we snake or jivas, or the rope or the Self? Are we the substratum or the appearance or the pictures moving on it? We are not the jivas. Only because we think that we are the jivas that the Lord in the Gita says that God resides in the Heart as the operator of the jivas. In truth, there is neither jivas nor any operator. The Self is all. The Self comprises all. It is the screen, the pictures, the seer, the actor, the operator, the light and all else that appears or disappears.
Now, consider:
Being all- encompassing Self, we confound ourselves with the body and because of this obnoxious identification, we imagine ourselves to be the actor. CANNOT WE CLEARLY SEE THAT IT AMOUNTS TO THE AUDIENCE OR THE SEER BEING REPRESENTED AS THE ACTOR IN A MOVIE?
Or imagine the actor in a movie asking if he could enact a scene of his choice without the screen. Sri Bhagwan says that such is the case of the man who thinks of his acting apart from the Self.

Thank you,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 26, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
Sri Bhagwan : What is ignorance ?  It is that which is non-existent. However the worldly life requires the hypothesis of avidya.  Avidya is only our ignorance and nothing else. It is ignorance and forgetfulness of the Self. Can there be darkness before the sun? Similarly, can there be ignorance before the Self-evident and Self-luminous Self? If you know the Self there will be no darkness, no ignorance and no misery.  It is the mind which feels the trouble, misery, etc. DARKNESS NEVER COMES NOR GOES. SEE THE SUN AND THERE IS NO DARKNESS. Similarly, see the Self and avidya will be found to be non-existent. 
                                                                                  Talk—363

Dear Devotees,

We speak of memory and forgetfulness or oblivion of the Self, of the Fullness of the Self. But memory and forgetfulness are only thought-forms.  They alternate so long as there are thoughts. Reality lies beyond thoughts. Whose are the memory and forgetfulness ? It is being called ‘ego’ by every one of us here which in truth is foreign to us. When one looks for it, it is not found. WHY IT IS NOT FOUND? Because it is unreal. HENCE, SRI BHAGWAN TEACHES THAT ‘I’-CONCEIT IS SYNONYMOUS WITH ILLUSION OR IGNORANCE AND WHICH ALONE IS MAYA OR AVIDYA OR AJNANA.

Dear devotees, such being the case, what for there is spiritual sadhana or so much spiritual teaching?  Sri Bhagwan says that the goal of all spiritual teaching and sadhana is to realise that there never was ignorance.

Besides, Sri Bhagwan teaches THAT IGNORANCE MUST BE OF ONE WHO IS AWARE. THAT AWARENESS IS JNANA AND JNANA IS ETERNAL AND NATURAL. AJNANA IS UNNATURAL AND UNREAL.

Dear devotees, having learnt the above truth from the Guru, why are we not content then?
Because impressions or samskaras have not been destroyed and so long as they last there will always be doubts and confusion. All efforts are directed to destroy the doubts and confusion only. Sri Bhagwan says that to do so their roots must be cut. Their roots are the impressions WHICH MUST BE RENDERED INEFFECTIVE BY THE PRACTICE AS TAUGHT BY THE GURU. Sri Bhagwan says that the Guru leaves it to the seeker to do this much so that he might himself find that there is no ignorance.

Sri Bhagwan further teaches that learning or hearing the above truth from the Guru is sravana. But it is not FIRM. For making it firm and unshaken, one has to practice reflection (manana) and one-pointedness (nididhyasana). SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT MANANA AND NIDIDHYASANA SCORTCH THE SEEDS OF VASANAS AND THEY ARE RENDERED INEFFECTIVE.

NOW MY SUBMISSION WITH REGARD TO DISCUSSION WHETHER ONE IS A BEGINNER OR ADVANCED IN TAPAS:

Dear devotees, if someone is not a beginner or if someone is not advanced, please tell me why some extraordinary persons get unshaken Jnana on hearing the Truth only once from the Guru? SRI BHAGWAN SAYS, “BECAUSE THEY ARE ADVANCED SEEKERS, WHEREAS RAW SEEKERS TAKE LONGER TO GAIN UNSHAKEN KNOWLEDGE.”
PLEASE TELL ME, ANYONE OF YOU, WHY DID SRI BHAGWAN MAkE THE ABOVE STATEMENT, IF ALL SEEKERS ARE AT THE SAME LEVEL, ALWAYS, AND NATURALLY?

Thank you,
  Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 26, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »
Dear i,

Vallalar sang,

"Kadaiyai thiranden Vaanguvor illai"

I opened the shop, but nobody is there to buy, referring to eagerness in sharing the "bliss" of Atman.

Is one of the most profound statements of ecstasy, which expresses his eagerness/sadness, that nobody is ready to truly listen to That.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
Therefore, from discussion in my last post, it follows that indeed ther are raw and advanced seekers so far as shedding of ignorance by spiritual practice is concerned.

Thank you,
   Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 26, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Nagaraj,
 VaLLaLAr said this:

கடை விரித்தேன் கொள்வார் இல்லை கட்டிவிட்டேன்

kadai means 'antam'.'mudal' is first and 'kadai' means 'end'.In those days the 'shops' used to be situated on the outskirts of the Village.Hence these shops were also called 'kadai' as they were situated at the end of the village.
What VaLLaLar says is that he Openly explained(விரித்தேன்-spread it out for all)the Truth or kadai and there were no takers!One has to take possession(koLLvAr) as Subramanian has pointed out elsewhere  and not just latch onto descriptions of Truth.
kattivitten -He says that he just 'wrapped up ' and let things be.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: May 26, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »
Dear i,

thank you for explaining this beautifully.

therefore, does it not now discern that it is upto the (koLLvAr) each one to take it.

i am am no where insisting, i am some Vallalaar or am i making some statements that i have realised truth or something. In the very same spirit as above, i am just expressing what ever i am seeing, honestly, after all if, i am deluding, then i have to delude only myself first.

In this way, whether it is latching onto descriptions of truth, etc... can only be discerned about oneself alone, unfortunately, we cannot know about this of others, and i see, it is not important as well, if others are speaking out of anubhuti or simply faking what they are saying, if what is expressed is worth seen, taken and discerned, then that is pure wisdom.

Don't we take the medicine given by doctors out of faith? Everybody has to tap into their intuitive intelligence, take what is to be taken and disregard what is to be disregarded.

Therefore, each one takes what he discerns, it is completely upto the (KoLLvAr),

Now, (KoLLvAr), cant complain, this is not to be given, only this and that has to be given.

"Each one is already realised, only one has to claim it" but no body claims it. That direct has been Sri Bhagavan.

Therefore, from discussion in my last post, it follows that indeed ther are raw and advanced seekers so far as shedding of ignorance by spiritual practice is concerned.

Dear i,

To discern that there are raw and advanded seekers so far as shedding of ignorance by spiritual practice is concerned can be directly discerned as oneself being a baby, child, youth, adult, and then old person, But all throught He was the same.

In the same way, when we say, somebody as raw or beginners or advanced seekers, essentially they are the same. this movement of beginner to advanced is as good as being a baby, child and adult, but never has changed really.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:25:01 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: May 26, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Nice. In fact I did not know that kadai, shop is so named because it was in the olden days, outside the village.

I think this is where Guru krupa or AruL comes into the scene. As Tayumanavar has sung:

I tried to see You with my knowledge and saw only the darkness, I did not also see me!(apara vidya is avidya, says Sri Sankara).
My guru said see with my AruL (and then only saw the Light.)

AruLal evaiyum pAr enRAn - atthai
  aRiyAthe sutti en  aRivAle pArthen
IruL Ana poruL kaNdathun allAl - kaNda
  ennaiyum kaNdilen ennEdi thozhi - Sankara
Sankara Sambu Siva Sankara Sankara Sankara Sambu

than pAdam chenniyil vaithAn ennaith
  thAn ARinthen manam thAn iRanthene - Sankara

(Ananda KaLippu - Verse 13 & 10)

pAdam chenniyil vaithAn = pAda diksha.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 26, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »
Dear Devotees,

When one is the Self, there is no relativity, no ignorance. When one is Pure intelligence or  Pure illumination, there is no discrimination and there is no so called DISCERNMENT either. Mind, jivas, Jnana, ajnana, etc., including all discussions on them, are mere words, from the stand-point of Absolute Reality.  ONLY THE SELF IS AND IT ADMITS NO DISCUSSION ABOUT IT. All these discussions are possible only from the stand-point of relativity and ignorance called ‘I’-conceit or the ego.  Yes, one is a baby, a child, a youth, an adult and then an old person. But the Essence remains the same all through different stages of life. Even this discernment is possible only from the stand-point of relativity only. AND FROM THE STAND-POINT OF RELATIVITY, THERE ARE ADVANCED SEEKERS AND THERE ARE RAW SEEKERS, SO FAR AS SHEDDING THE IGNORANCE BY SPIRITUAL PRACTICE IS CONCERNED, AS SRI BHAGWAN HIMSELF SAID. Otherwise, how can a certain seeker immediately realises Atma-swarupa the moment he hears the truth from the Guru and some take years to even recognise the ‘I am’ness in them and start holding on to It?

Thank you,
  Anil