Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758939 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1575 on: February 26, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »
ATMA-VICHARA OR THE SELF-ABIDANCE AS REVEALED BY SRI RAMAN MAHAGURU IS THE SAME AS THE STATE [PERENNIAL SPEECH OF THE SILENCE OF THE SELF] BEING EVER CONVEYED BY SRI ARUN MAHAGIRI.

Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:57 PM »
Dear Anil,

This brilliant article must be of interest to you -

http://murugan.org/research/jayavelu.htm

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Achalam69

• View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
Pranams to the group.

I am new to the group. I have ready couple of Sri Bagavans books and have been practicing Self Enquiry to the extent i have understood. There has been always a question in my mind, Am i mature enough to practice Self Enquiry? In 'Who Am I', Bagavan has mentioned that Self Enquiry is only for matured souls. So how do i know where i am now, can i pursue Self Enquiry right away and keep moving with it.

As i can see from the previous post, both Sri Muruganar and Sarada akka are both highly matured from the books they have written and also the association of great souls they have got in this present life.

Does not the process of Niyama and Yama come first before starting Self Enquiry. In Practical terms, if a person is lying a lot, just because he understands Self Enquiry intellectually can he start practising it?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 08, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »
Dear Achalam,

Niyama and Yama are needed to the extent of achieving one's chitta suddhi.  (purity of mind). Even pujas, japas, sandhya
vandhana etc., are all only for chitta suddhi. So these must be followed. Once self inquiry progresses, these will drop off
on their own accord. No need to pull them back and pursue them.

Arunachala Siva.   

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: March 09, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »
Pranams to the group.

I am new to the group. I have ready couple of Sri Bagavans books and have been practicing Self Enquiry to the extent i have understood. There has been always a question in my mind, Am i mature enough to practice Self Enquiry? In 'Who Am I', Bagavan has mentioned that Self Enquiry is only for matured souls. So how do i know where i am now, can i pursue Self Enquiry right away and keep moving with it.

As i can see from the previous post, both Sri Muruganar and Sarada akka are both highly matured from the books they have written and also the association of great souls they have got in this present life.

Does not the process of Niyama and Yama come first before starting Self Enquiry. In Practical terms, if a person is lying a lot, just because he understands Self Enquiry intellectually can he start practising it?

This is my personal understanding...

When Ramana said that Self-enquiry was for matured souls, it is my understanding that it was for those who are convinced of the Truth that there is only ONE SELF and that the biggest obstacle to Realizing this is the belief "I am a body".

Bhagavan said that he saw all as himself, there is nothing but the non-dual Self.

So who is there to consider himself not matured? All questions, limitations, doubts can only be from the mind which is only a bundle of thoughts. And Ramana said to doubt the doubter.

All sadhanas is to become utterly convinced that there is ONLY the Self. Then the struggling, the efforts, the searching ceases. And this permits the veil to dissipate...

Doubt the doubter! 
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: March 09, 2012, 02:38:24 AM »
Dear Achalam,

the question is not whether "am I mature enough to practice Self Enquiry?" the question is, Who am I, that asks if I am mature enough to practice Self Enquiry.

One who begins to get such questions like yours, is itself, a proof of your maturity, of aspiring to know, that which is beyond. The matured one, leaves aside all other questions, and just sticks to this one question alone, Who am I? as, he realises the futility of any other question.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:12:59 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Achalam69

• View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »
Thanks to the members who have replied to my Questions. I was practising Self Enquiry for quite some time and suddenly for the last one month this doubt occupied my mind completely "Am I matured enough to practice Self Enquiry", making me doubt everything, even the path and Bagavan himself. Mind is really dangerous if you start believing its doubts and questions.

Pranams to the three members who put me back in to track. I would like to express my gratitude to them by this reply.
Achalam

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
Unless one jettisons the mind-body complex, the Self enquiry will be no doubt difficult. This is the maturity required. The 'I' in
everyone is the same Atman. What differentiates among them is the different minds (ego) and bodies. Ekatma Bhavam will
be attained  only when one overcomes the mind/body complex.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 13, 2012, 06:05:32 PM »
Dear Devotees,

We all are aware that the ego is well entrenched. It wouldn't yield easily. Doubt, fear, sleep, pretension, smugness, etc., are verily its escape routes--defence mechanism to counter the onslaught of the Enquiry, to perpetuate its hegemony. Whose doubts? Who is afraid? The answer obviously is the ego which is fictitious. Dear devotees, we need to penetrate this seemingly impregnable defence of the ego by means of the searching focus of the Enquiry. We need to plug all its escape routes unsparingly. We must, at the same time, always remember that Sri Bhagwan’s Grace is always there. After all, He is the Commander-in-Chief of this great battle. Sri Bhagwan says that many, many others have succeeded before us. There is no reason then why we cannot.

Thank you,
   Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 13, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
Dear Anil,

That is why it is said that only Sraddha (efforts with attention) is required. Book knowledge, invoking gods, pujas ,mantras
all these would only help chitta suddhi.  In Atma Vichara, one should focus one's attention within, towards Atma, Self or
Heart. Perseverance is also needed.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 14, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »

Quote:
"Being Aware of Aham Asmi --- is enough.
provided there is clear understanding of aham asmi."

Dear Sri Udai,

How will understanding and awareness of 'Aham Asmi' or "I AM" would dawn ?

Thank you,
  Anil

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 14, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »
Dear sir,

There is only one answer but millions questions. Again it is the play of the mind. All  questions arise from the mind only. Sincere seeking, sadhana, and guru's grace can only solve the questions. Long time ago somebody wrote Bhagavan's quote. It is like a man who stands in water and saying I am thirsty. So we all are asking water to drink while standing in water

Ramanaduli

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: April 14, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »
Dear Sri ramanaduli,
               Pranam,

Yes. Excellent. There is only one etenal queston.
Thank you so much.

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 14, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »
Sooner we raise it or face it(the eternal question), sooner we are HOME, at peace with ourselves.

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: April 14, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »
 Quote :"That is why it is said that only Sraddha (efforts with attention) is required. Book knowledge, invoking gods, pujas ,mantras
all these would only help chitta suddhi.  In Atma Vichara, one should focus one's attention within, towards Atma, Self or
Heart. Perseverance is also needed."

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

At present, we are obsessed with the unreality. Reality is our True Nature. Sri Bhagwan says that we are wrongly persisting in unreality.Cessation of unreality reveals the Truth. It is done by thinking of the Reality only. Although it is our True Nature, it appears as if we are thinking of the Reality.Therefore, there is no need for doubting whether we would ever gain the Self.

Dear sir, one who engages in investigation starts holding on to himself, asks 'who am I?' and gradually the Self becomes clear to him. That is the direct way for understanding and awareness of 'Aham Asmi' or 'I am', as Sri Udai said.

Regards,
  Anil