Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 770399 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #345 on: January 01, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »

Dear Anil,

Summa Iru is one of the Maha Vakyas of Sri Bhagavan.  The story
of this Thinnai Swami came in Mountain Path, sometime in the year
2009.  I am of the view that in Tiruvannamalai, Arunchaleswara and
His son Murugan and other saints have said only this. This is
Arunachala Sampradayam, I think.

Arunagiri Nathar's Tiurpugazh is being sung in Bangalore for
the past 8 days.  Tomorrow is the last day, 9th day [Subramanya
Navham] on which the people climb the small Hill here where there is Muruga temple, singing all the way in each step one Tirupugazh song.  I went for the function today and remained there for about
1 and a half hours.  The give annadhanam at lunch time.  I came
back around 11.30 PM.  It was a pleasant experience.  A group
of more than 100 gents and ladies sing songs.

Arunagiri Nathar was told by Skanda [after singing about 1800
songs]:  Enough.  Summa Iru.  He says in his last poem of 51 stanzas called Kandhar Anubhuti, Summa Iru sollaRa enRalume,
amma poruL onRum arinthalane.... You told me summa iru without speaking, O, I did not first understand it.  The power of silence,
I came to realize later.....

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »
‘Who is the seer ?’ when I sought within, I watched the disappearance of the seer and what survived him. No thought of ‘I saw’ arose; how then could the thought ‘I did not see’ arise ? Who has the power to convey this in  word when even Thou ( appearing as Dakshinamurti ) couldst do so in ancient days by silence only ? Only to convey by silence Thy (transcendent) state Thou standest as a hill, shining from heaven to earth.
                                                                 V-2, Eight Stanzas to Sri Arunachala

In silence Thou sadist, ‘Stay silent’ and Thyself stoodst silent, Oh Arunachala !
                                                               V-36, The Marital Garland of Letters

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

From ancient times, there are various spiritual centres in India representing various spiritual paths, doctrines and philosophies. There is no doubt whatever that among various spiritual centres, Sri Arunachala represents the Path of Self Enquiry and Doctrine of Advaita from the time immemorial.
Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan Himself revealed and made public the ‘Secret of Silence ’ of Sri Arunachala.

“ I have betrayed Thy (secret) workings. Be not offended. Show me Thy Grace now openly and save me, Oh Arunachala !
                                                                         V-98, The Marital Garland of Letters

Besides, message of the following is to be still only:

“ ..even Thou could do so in ancient days by silence only. “

“ Only to convey by silence Thy (transcendent) state Thou standest as a hill, shining from heaven to earth. “

So, by Silence only His State can be conveyed and to express this State of Silence, He is standing as a Hill.

Hence,
Sri Arunachala is conveying His State By Silence. 
Sri Dakshinamurty merged His advanced disciples in His Infinite Silence.
Sri Skanda said to Sri Arunagiri Nathar, “ Summa Iru “.
Sri Murugan, Sri Arunachaleswara’s Son and other great saints and sages who lived in Tiruvannamalai in the ancient times, all said , “Summa Iru.” Or “ Be still.”

Sri Bhagwan said to all those who understood including Sri Thinnai Swami, “ Be.” and repeated the great Biblical statement “ Be still and know that I am God.” umpteen times.

Dear sir, what is our Goal ? Our goal is to to realize our Self, to regain our forgotten ‘Natural State’. AND THAT STATE IS THE STATE OF “I AM”.

Sri Bhagwan says that the meaning or the significance of ‘I’ is God. The experience of  “ I AM “ IS TO BE STILL. ( Talks, No- 194)

“ I AM “ is God and stillness means free from thoughts.

Dear sir, in the light of the above, I feel that your observation that ‘Summa Iru’ is the ‘Arunachala Sampradayam’  is the living truth. I also feel exactly the same.

Indeed, the “ Summa Iru ” or “ Be Still “ is the Sampradayam Arunachalam.

Thank you so much, Sir.

Regards.
                                                                             Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 02, 2011, 09:56:19 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes.  Arunachala Sampradayam is Be Still or Be silent.  This is what was taught by Muruga to Arunagiri Natha and by Sri Bhagavan to His devotees.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 02, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
Dear devotees and seekers,

what is the proper pradakshina ? Sri Bhagwan says that the proper pradakshina is going round the Self, or more accurately, to realize that we are the Self and that within us all the countless spheres revolve, going round and round. Sri Bhagwan in this context cited relevant Verse 3-39 from the Ribhu Gita as following :

Reflecting “ I am the all-blissful Self”
 Is worship as with words and flowers.
 True circumambulation is the thought,
 “ In me the million universes roll”,
 He who knows all beings bow to him.
 And He to none,
 He bows before the Mahaliga-Self.

15.4.46 Morning, P-200/201, Day by day

Dear seekers, it is reported in Day by Day that  there were people who had deep faith that going round Sri Bhagwan is as good as going round the Hill of Sri Arunachala or a Temple image. Sri Bhagwan did not object to it but said that the best going round is going round yourself, or with the bhava expressed in the Verse 3-39 of the Ribhu Gita, as cited above. Sri Bhagwan says that meditation on the Self is the best worship.

Thank you,
                                                                                                           Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. It is a nice story.  People started going round and round the
Old Hall and not only that, they were prostrating at the four corners
of the Old Hall.  This was an irritation to Sri Bhagavan and also to
His devotees, because their movements and their shadows through
the windows were distracting.  It was first started by Thenammal.
Then Sampuranamma.  The Suri Nagamma also started.  Then only
Sri Bhagavan remarked:  "What is this?  First Thenammal started and now everyone is doing.  What is do pradakshina?  It is coming round and round of one's Self within.  What is true namaskram.  It is prostration of the ego to the Self."  He quoted from Ribhu Gita and explained.  Slowly these practices came to halt.   Sri Bhagavan also has said that even before one did Namaskaram to Him in the Hall, He did namaskaram to the Self in him.  That is the greatness of Sri Bhagavan.

Once when Mysore Maharaja came, and after some talk with
Sri Bhagavan, wanted to do namaskaram to Him.  It was a open
Hall. But he was a King. So he hesitated. Sri Bhagavan, as a special case, went to the bathroom with the Maharaja and inside the bathroom,  Maharaja prostrated to Him, setting aside his head gear [Mysore petah, they call it].  It was a wet floor in the bathroom, but Maharaja did not mind it!

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 02, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
  Dear Sir, you have mentioned ( reply 375 ) that Sri Arunagiri Nathar's songs are sung for nine days in Bamgalore. On the ninth day devotees climb a small hill where there is a Muruga Temple. I wish to know where in Bangalor this hill is located so that I may be able to climp the hill and worship in the Muruga Temple when I visit the city some time in May this year. Thank you, sir. Regards. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2011, 06:41:23 AM »
  Dear Sir, every word and every act of Sri Bhagwan while He was on the earth with a body ooze with Grace, Love, Kindness and Divinity. That He went to the bathroom with the king of Mysore so that the king may prostrate to Him is an extraordinary act of kindness and greatness shown to a devotee and not a king by an exalted and divine Guru. Thank you so much for narrating this story, full of Sri Bhagwan's Grace. Regards. Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »

Dear Anil,

Like Mysore Maharaja, the Maharajas of Cochin and Travancore
had also visited Sri Bhagavan.  But there is no special information about their prostrations to Him.  Maharani of Baroda had also
visited Him and she had presented a white peacock to the Asramam.  Even now their progenies are there in the Asramam.  Among various coloured peacocks, there are some white peacocks too in the Asramam. The total number of peacocks in the Asramam has been counted as 27.  There may be more in the Hill.

The Murugan Temple in Bangalore is on Mount of Joy, in Hanumantha Nagar, in South Bangalore.  Any autorickshaw wallah
or taxi wallah can take you there from the Bangalore City Railway
Station.  Yesterday, the Navaham was over and there was
Annadhanam for all visitors.   This was also celebrated in Chennai at Vadapazhani Temple and also in Tiruttani and Pazhani.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 03, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »
Let your mind be engrossed in Me. Be devoted to Me. Offer worship to Me. Be resigned to Me. Beloved as you are of me, I pledge in troth you shall come to Me alone.
                                                                       V-65, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Sarva-dharman parityjya mam ekam sarnam vraja,
Aham tva sarva-papebhyo moksayisyami ma sucah.

Abandoning dependence on all Dharmas ( or on human efforts at moral and spiritual upliftment ), come to Me as the only Refuge. Grieve not, I will deliver you from all sins.
                                                                      V-66, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Sri Mahatma Gandhi regarded Srimad Bhagvad Gita as his Mother. No talk on Gita can be considered adequate without citing and savoring the taste of Her nectar-like Verses 65 and 66 which have been cited above. These two Verses are said to contain the essence of the Gita.
When I first read the above cited two Verses , I concluded that through these Verses the Great Lord is exhorting His dear devotees to surrender unreservedly. That surrender is enough to deliver me from all sins. Surrendering unreservedly, indeed, is enough to deliver one from all sins. But I learnt later from Sri Bhagwan that that kind of surrender is not easy initially and comes to one gradually with deep devotion to the Lord. But what I could not understand is the Lord’s exhortation, “ Abandoning all Dharmas, come to Me as the only Refuge. “ 
Dear sir, no single word of the Gita has been interpreted and misinterpreted more than the word ‘Dharmas’ mentioned in the Verse 18-66..What does actually ‘abandoning all Dharmas’ mean ? Dharma is interpreted by some interpreters to mean karmas. But, well, all karmas, obviously can not be abandoned. By some other schools of thought, this Dharma is interpreted to mean only Vedic ritualism and egocentric works. Some others interpret it to mean abandoning only the fruits of actions and not actions themselves which is supposed to be the main thrust of the Gita by some. Still, some others interpret it to mean that the Gread Lord is asking to abandon all margas and paths and to let the mind of the devotees be engrossed in Him, be resigned to Him, and offer worship to Him. (as said in Verse-65)

I had been confused. But when the Master’s Words of Grace lighted the Verse-66, the meaning as well as the essence of the Verses cited became crystal-clear.

Sri Bhagwan : (All) Sarva is only anaatmanah ( of the non-Self); the emphasis is on ekam (only). To the man who has strong hold of the eka ( one ) where are the dharmas ? It means, “ Be sunk in the Self.”

“ Rather, be fixed in the Self and act according to nature without the right of doership. Then the results of actions will not affect you. That is manliness and heroism.”

“ Thus, ‘inherence in the Self ’ is the sum and substance of Gita teaching. “
                                                                               Talks, no. 58

Thank you so much, Sir.

Regards,
                                                                                             Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 03, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »

[

Dear Anil,

Very true.  Sri Bhagavan said to leave all the dharmas means only
what is outside, that is, the non-Self.  If you hold on to the feet
of Lord, Paadam, or the Self within [Padam], is the only thing that
you have to do.    Then one can be without any anxiety or worry.

Muruganar covers Srimad Bhagavad Gita verses in 5 places in
Guru Vachaka Kovai.

I. Verse 101:  The truth of this pre-eminent state [Ajata] was taught to Arjuna by Lord Krishna in the beginning [in chapter 2 of the Bhagavad Gita].  Krishna spoke of other doctrines in the following chapters because of Arjuna's bewilderment [that arose from] his inability to assimilate it.

Gita II.12:  It is not that I have never existed, nor thou nor these
kings.  Nor is it that we shall cease to exist in future.

Krishna does not mean that the body is immortal but refers to to the true Self, behind all bodies.

Krishna further elaborates in II. 16:

The unreal is never is.  The Real never is not.  Men possessed of
Knowledge of the Truth [Atma Jnanam] fully know both these.

Sri Bhagavan has chosen Verse II. 16 in His Srimad Bhagavad
Gita Saram.

II. GVK Verse 493:  By the fault of [consuming] excess, even
immortalizing ambrosia becomes deadly poison.  Many are the ills
that arise through the fault of immoderation.  Those who realize
the ruinous nature of excess are duty bound to banish it.

[This is also from a Bhagavad Gita sloka, I don't know the verse
number].

III.  Sri Bhagavan's Verse 14, after Verse 801 of GVK.
This is also from a Bhagavad Gita sloka, as  to whether a Jnani
sees everything as one.  This was done  to test King Janaka.

IV. GVK Verse 1033.  Here, the essence of BG X.20 is used.

V. GVK Verse 1178.  Here the substance of Srimad Bhagavad
Gita verse, "I am the Heart of all beings, and am their beginning,
middle and end." is used.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 03, 2011, 01:55:12 PM »
Dear Subramaniyan ji,

In general we can see  peacock in Murugan Hill temples. We can see in Thruparangundram and Palzhani. Bhagavan is also a Muruga avatar. Therefore lots of
peacocks are living in the ashram.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 03, 2011, 02:09:43 PM »

Dear Ramanaduli,

Yes.  Since the hill is nearby in TiruperugundRam, Pazhamuthirsolai,
and Pazhani as also in Tiruvannamalai, peacocks love to live there
and as Muruga's vehicle, they also come to the temples.  Devotees
also offer the peacocks and cocks to the deity, not for 'bali' but
as a simple offering.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 03, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramaian Sir and Sri Ramnaduli, when I visited Sri Ramanasramam during 'Deepam' in Nov, last year , I spotted only a few peacocks, certainly lesser than the usual number.  I could not spot any white  peacock supposed to be the progeny of the peacock offered to Sri Bhagwan by Maharani of Baroda. Thank you. Regards. Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 04, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, I feel that Lord Sri Arunachala Ramana as Lord Sri Krishana sang nectar-like divine songs and gave Gita to the world and as Guru Ramana explained them.
  In the commentary of the Verse 493 of the Guru Vachaka Kovai, I think that Sri Murgunar refers to Verse 6. 16 of Srimad Bhagvad Gita in which Lord Sri Krishana says yoga is not for one who either eats or sleeps too much. In the next Verse i.e. Verse 6. 17 Lord advises moderation in food and sleep.

" Verily, yoga is not for him who eats too much or abstains from eating. It is not for him, O Arjuna who sleeps too much or keeps awake too much. "
      Verse 6. 16, Srimad Bhagvad Gita

" For the man who is temperate in food and recreation, who is restrained in his actions, whose sleep and waking are regulated, there ensues discipline ( yoga) which destroys all sorrows. "
        Verse 6. 17, Srimad Bhagvad Gita

Sri S. Radha krishnan while commenting on these Verses says that we must be free from animal cravings. We must avoid excess in all things.

Sri Bhagwan has also said that sattvic food in moderate quantity is the proper aid in sadhana.
Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
                Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan mentioned Sattvic food in moderate quantities.
Though not in Who am I?, but in several conversations, He has
mentioned excessive sleep is also not good.  He Himself used to
go for sleep on His sofa, at 10 PM and wake up between 2.00 am
and 3.00 a.m.

Arunachala Siva.