Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755702 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #945 on: June 04, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »

Dear Anil,

Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman used to tell one story. There are
8 roads that lead to Tirvannamalai from various places.  In fact,
Kavyakanta said that Arunachala is like a eight petalled lotus.
One can go by any road, say from Vellore, or Bangalore, or from
Tindivanam or from Kanchipuram or from Chennai etc., etc., But the
point is one should choose any road and proceeds TOWARDS Arunachala. That is, the Goal is the same but paths are different. Like the Self can be attained by bhakti, yoga, jnana and karma. But Jnana is the easiest and direct path.

However, if one should GO AWAY FROM TIRUVANNAMALAI and asks
for Tiruvannamalai, he would never attain it. Instead he may land up in Katpadi or Pondicherry.

Attention towards the Self within is the watchword.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 05, 2011, 08:45:46 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

“But the point is one should choose any road and proceeds TOWARDS Arunachala. That is, the Goal is the same but paths are different. Like the Self can be attained by bhakti, yoga, jnana and karma.”
This is a very nice post. Thank you so much, sir. Sri Bhagwan is both within and witout. Sri Arunachala is both within and without. Sri Bhagwan has said, “ Guru is the Self. Sri Arunachala is the Self”. My submission is ‘journey towards Sri Arunachala without is journey towards Sri Arunachala within. Journey towards the Self ( Sri Arunachala) is also The Journey towards ARUNACHALAM, i.e. Tiruvannamalai.

Dear sir, first of all, dire necessity is to awaken oneself to the consciousness of the indwelling Reality. Sri Vevekananda declared that every human soul is potentially divine and goal of life is to seek this divinity within. By whatever means this is achieved, this is the primary purpose of life and; rest everything else are secondary details of secondary importance. Therefore, first, one should get awakened to the consciousness of the Indwelling Resplendent Reality within. If this much is achieved, either by Enquiry, or by Surrender, or by association with Sages, steady practice with perseverance is bound to thoroughly awaken one to the Pure Consciousness of the Blissful Swarupa, the State of the Supreme Relaxation into one’s own Being.

As for Grace, Grace is all along there. For, Grace is the Self. It follows that Realisation of the Self is the Realisation of the Grace. One is neck-deep in the Ganges, and yet he cries, “I am thirsty”. Is this writing possible without the Self, or the Grace ? It is not something to be acquired and that too outside of oneself.

SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT ALL THAT IS NECESSARY IS TO KNOW ITS EXISTENCE.

Sri Bhagwan says that ignorance is a phantom. It is unreal. Once its unreality is detected, it cannot stay. It is gone.

Dear sir, the magnificent sun is blazing bright. Everyone and everything are submerged in the sunlight. But am I seeing the sun ? To see the sun one must turn one’s eyes in the direction of the sun. Only then can he see the sun. Not otherwise. So also, to see the Sun of the suns, i.e. the Self, turning to It is vital. One is already ever neck-deep in the Grace but It is to be realised by practice alone although it is here and now.       
Dear sir, I again quote a few lines for convenience from your last post as follows :
“Like the Self can be attained by bhakti, yoga, jnana and karma. But Jnana is the easiest and direct path.

However, if one should GO AWAY FROM TIRUVANNAMALAI and asks
for Tiruvannamalai, he would never attain it. Instead he may land up in Katpadi or Pondicherry.

Attention towards the Self within is the watchword.”

Dear sir, I submit that Jnana Vichara is the easiest and direct path because the Self, or the Jnana sought is held from the very beginning of the quest. However, as you so beautifully and significantly said, if one is to swerve away from the Self, seeking It may land one in swarga loka or some other mysterious lokas. Hence, the point is attention from the Self should not swerve at any cost.

Regards,
 Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 05, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes.  Sri Bhagavan has explained the nature of existence in
Who am I? answers themselves. He said Sukam is to everyone's
liking and everyone loves himself. Why? Love is Sukam. This
Sukam is understood by everyone in dreamless deep sleep.
Hence to attain this Sukam even in waking state, one should
do jnana vicharam... Like this, step by step, Sri Bhagavan explains
Jnana Vicharam. Daily reading of Who am I? will be of immense help to everyone.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 05, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »

"Sukam is to everyone's liking and everyone loves himself." Sri Bhagwan has not used the word 'sukam' in 'Who am I ? Instead He has explained 'happiness' as the very nature of the Self. So, do you mean 'happiness' by 'sukam' ? Is it 'sukham' ?

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 05, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan uses the word Sukam in Tamizh Naan Yaar? It is translated as happiness or joy or bliss by different English authors.
Sri Bhagavan also says: Sukam itself is Atma Swarupam, in answer
to Question 26 of Pillai.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #950 on: June 05, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »

Ji. Yes. I understand. There was a little cofusion with regard to the word 'sukam' on account of my Hindi background. In Hindi the word 'sukham' generally means pleasure which is the other side of the same coin, i.e. sorrow and pleasure. And hence the confusion.

"Happiness itself is Atma Swarupam."

Sri Bhagwan says in 'Who am I ?' that 'under the shade it is pleasant; out in the open the heat is scorching. Sri Bhagwan says that someone who keeps on going from the shade innto the sun and then back into the shade is a fool. A wise man stays permanenntly in the shade. Sri Bhagwan says that 'not seeking anything other than the Self is detachment; not leaving the Self is wisdom'.

Therefore, a man of wisdom would not leave the Swarupa to experience the misery ladden world, its objects and its phenomena.

Sri Muruganar sings :
"When the jiva, turning back and returning along the way it came, enters the source, it will drown completely in its intrinsic nature and, in doing so, as the bliss of its own nature manifests clearly within its own understanding, it will abide motionless in that state."
                                                    V. 632, Guru Vachaka Kovai
                                                                                                    (To continue)

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: June 05, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »

Dear Anil,

Once some pandits were discussing about scriptural matters endlessly outside the Hall. Though they were not talking aloud and disturbing others, Sri Bhagavan perhaps, thought that these scriptural discussions were useless. He told them: Why are you standing in the hot sun? It is cool inside.  Why don't you come
inside [the Hall] and meditate?

Here also Sri Bhagavan used the simile of hotsun and shade to prove His point.  What is the use of discussing ad nauseum scriptures?
Sri Ramakrishna used to say: In Panchangam, i.e. almanac, it is stated that it would rain today.  But by crushing that book of alamanc will the rain waters drop from it?  Only when there is God's grace, rains will come. So also the scriputres and scriptural knowledge and discussions.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #952 on: June 05, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »

Discussion on scriptures, ad nauseum, indeed, is like standing in the scorching heat of the sun. Desire for discussion is a vasana which also must come to an end. Besides, endless discussion may create further doubts. However, I feel that reflection on Guru's Words, Sayings and Teaching is helpful.

Dear sir, as for me, I do not wish to participate in any discussion with anybody after this ongoing discussion under the current topics comes to an end. However, so long as I feel urge from within, I shall be uttering words, Guru's Words only.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: June 06, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says in ‘Who am I ?’ that happiness is the very nature of the Self. Therefore, it follows that happiness is innate with the Swarupa. There can be no happiness in the insentient objects. So, going out of the mind and experience of misery are simultaneous, nay, one and the same thing. Desires prompt the mind to externalise. When a certain desire is fulfilled, the mind returns to the Self and enjoys the happiness which is the nature of the Self. But this happiness is short-lived indeed. Because another desire is ready to force the mind to go out. Thus, the going out of the mind and returning to the Self goes on alternately, mind experiencing the Self-happiness for a while so long as it stays with the Self. The same applies to things liked and disliked. But the man in ignorance thinks that the happiness lies in the external objects.

It is the nature of the mind to go out and wander. But this propensity of the mind leads to the way of bondage. When a beautiful bird was trapped in the chimney in the ‘Darshan Hall’, it tried frantically to escape but all its struggles proved futile. Chimney was closed from all sides except in the bottom. But the bird tried to escape through all sides except through the bottom through which it entered the chimney in the first place. Ceaseless effort of the bird to escape to its natural abode proved unsuccessful because all its efforts were directed upwards, the way of bondage, instead of inwards, through which it came, and that is the way of the freedom. Sri Bhagwan says that natural tendency of the bird to go upwards asserted itself even in its attempts at freedom.

So also, our natural tendency to revolve in the world asserts itself even in our attempts at liberation. However, Sri Bhagwan says that ‘if through true discrimination and awareness, the jiva is made to turn back from outward-directed sight to inward sight, and if it remains fixed there, it is certain that it would attain liberation in an instant’.

Therefore, it follows that the Supreme Peace, or Supreme Happiness, or the Supreme Bliss, is within. Supreme Relaxation is to be found only by finding the Source and merging into the Supreme Reality, the Seat of which is the Heart. INWARD, INWARD, IS THE PATH.

Thank you,
   Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Like the chimney and bird story, Sri Bhagavan has given many
examples to advice devotees "to go back in the way they had come."   

Sri Bhagavan used to say three things often:

1. Vandha velaiyai paar.  - i.e. Do the work for which you have come.

2. Irunthapadiye iru - be as you are.

3. IRai aruL cheluthum vazhikke sel - Go by the direction which God
     shows by His grace.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #955 on: June 06, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »

'Go the way you came' is, in my view,the acme of spiritual teaching. Go the way you came. Where from did I come ? From the Source, i.e. the Self. Therefore, in my view, 'Go the way you came' is the same as 'Seeking the Source, merging into It, and Self-abidance'.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 06, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

Dear Anil,

Irunathapadiye iru - irunthapadi is the state of Self, as you are aware.  Iru means Be. Be as you are.

Guru aruL chelthum vazhikke sel - Go in the way that Guru's Grace directs you.  You should always abide by the direction of the guru,
be is miserable life or happy life or disappoining life etc.,

The first one means self inquiry.  The second one means saranagati effots. surrender effects.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »
Dear Sri Subbramanian Sir,
 Ji. Yes. Very nice. "Go the way you came" is the Vichara. " Go in the way that Guru's Grace directs you" is Surrender. Vichara is " Who am I ? Whence am I ?"; Surrender is " Nothig is mine". Both are one and same thing. Sri Bhagwan's Vichara can be summed up in wors 'BE'.

Thank you so much,sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »
The last sentence in my last post should read "Sri Bhagwan's Vichara can be summed up in a single word BE.

Thank you
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 07, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »
Ajya-dharaya  srotasa  samam
Sarala-cintanam  viralatah  param
                                             Verse—7, Upadesa Saram

ajya-dharaya—Like the flow of ghee
srotasa samam—or like the flow of a stream
sarala-citanam—continuous meditation
viralatah param—is better than broken meditation

Therefore, the Verse can be translated as:
“ Like the flow of ghee or like the flow of a stream, continuous meditation is better than the broken meditation.”

Dear Devotees,

This is a Verse for the sadhana or the practice. Efficacy of the continuous meditation cannot be overstated. Broken meditation implies extroversion of the mind to the worldly objects and phenomena. Broken meditation means a fragmented mind. When a devotee asked from Sri Bhagwan how long one should practice Self-enquiry, Sri Bhagwan replied that Enquiry should go on always. Enquiry should go on unceasingly. One should keep the attention riveted to the sense of ‘I’, or the I-thought at all times. Unwavering attention on to the ego-I is bound to sink and merge it into the Self. Time allotment, say for 20 minutes or for 30 minutes, is for the beginners.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says in the cited Verse above from the Upadesa Saram that meditation ( or attention) should be continuous rather than broken, like the flow of ghee or like the flow of the stream. Why ghee ? Why like the flow of  a stream ? Because ghee is a substance which has a great endearing quality. Besides it sticks and when it flows, it flows even. So, meditation should be pleasing and sticking like the ghee and should proceed like its flow. Or like the flow of a stream. A stream flow is a uniform flow unlike the turbulent flow. At any cross-section of the flow, total energy content remains same or constant. Therefore, meditation or the attention should be uniform like the flow of a stream and not like the turbulent flow in which energy content of the flow varies from section to section, at some section it may contain tremendous energy, at another it may be negligible and on yet another the energy content of the flow may be steady. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says that meditation should be continuous, and  not interrupted, like the flow of ghee or the flow of a stream.   

Thank you,
   Anil