Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759217 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #930 on: June 01, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you so much for giving in detail informations about Sri Ramana Ashottaram, Mother Azhagammal's Ashottaram and about Sri Ramana sahasra. Although I found some reference about these works here and there, in fact so far I had not been aware about them. Now that I know, I shall certainly request for them from the Book-depot of Sri Ramanasramam.

Dear sir, time and again you have mentioned in your posts about Sri Ramana Centre, Bangalore, and other such Centres. I have been in Bangalore on a number of occassions, but I never visited the Centre, first because I didn't know where it is located in Bangalore, and second, I hesitated because I didn't know whether it is open to devotees in general. I am also not aware what kinds of activities go on there in the Centre. I read somewhere that the Centre does research works on Sri Bhagwan and publishes books on Him ? Is it an Asram ? I have come to know that there are many such Centres in different cities of India and abroad. How can devotees of Sri Bhagwan benefit from them ?

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 02, 2011, 07:08:15 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that our glory lies where we cease to exist. There are only two ways in order to gain that state—Enquiry and Self-surrender. Contrary to general belief, Self-surrender is not an easy thing to do. For, unless the ego surrenders, crying, “ O Lord  ! Thou art my only Refuge !” , surrender is only partial. And the ego cannot submit unless it recognises the Higher Power. Till then, it feels that anything can be achieved, world can be conquered by efforts alone. However, this is mere pretence, much like the images carved below the temple tower making a pretence by the strained look on their faces and the posture that they themselves are supporting the tower on their shoulders. Thus, the ego has remained stuck up with ‘I am the body’ and ‘I am the doer’ ideas birth after birth from the time immemorial.

Sri Bhagwan reveals that God, who is immanent, in His Grace takes pity on the loving devotee and manifests Himself as a being according to the devotee’s standard. He appears in a body, much like a deer used as a decoy to entice a wild deer. But the Guru is not the body. He is God incarnate. He is the Self within. His real work is from within, making the devotee see the error of his ways. Sri Bhagwan says that Guru is both within and without. The Guru creates the right condition for the devotee to turn the devotee inward and prepares the interior to drag and fix him at the Centre. Therefore, A Guru’s work is :
A push from without and a pull from within; fixity at the Centre.

Ego recognises that there is a power higher than him only when it is frustrated externally and driven internally. Sri Bhagwan often compared the ego with an elephant. He used to say that the ego is like a powerful elephant which cannot be brought under control by any one less than a lion whose very look makes the elephant tremble and die. What the lion’s look does to the elephant, Guru’s look does the same to the ego. It hangs its head in shame and flees away. It recognises the Higher Power. Such recognition gradually leads to total surrender. Sri Bhagwan says that such recognition itself is surrender.

Thank You,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 02, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »

Dear Anil,

Ramana Centre is at the north most end of Bangalore, on the way to
Bellary and Hyderabad.  It is inaccessible to most of the Bangaloreans and one has to take a car and go. It is about 14 kms
from the Bangalore City Railway Station.  You can obtain a copy by post by writing to Ramana Maharshi Centre for Learning, Post Office Road, Sanjay Nagar, Bangalore - 560 094. Telephone 2351 2639, 2351 4930.  Price Rs 40 [for English] plus courier charges.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Thank you so much for giving information about Sri Ramana Centre, Bangalore. The august place is located in the North most end of Bangalore. When in Bangalore, I stay in the South most end of Bangalore. However, dear sir, you did not say anything about the Centre itself.

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 02, 2011, 05:11:31 PM »

Dear Anil,

The Centre is called Sri Ramana Maharshi Heritage Centre. It has got two auditoriums one large and another one small for different purposes like General discourse or a discussion. It has got a book stall and also a dhyana hall. It has also got a library. The Centre is run by Smt Sulochana Natarajan [wife of Sri Natarajan] and her spinster daugher Smt. Sarada.  Sri Natarajan merged with Bhagavan in 2008. The Centere is also running a monthly magazine called Ramana Way, annual subscription is Rs 150.00.  You can also ask for books through online payment or by sending a Demand Draft encashable in Bangalore. I have gone only once since it is quite far off from South Bangalore and I do not have a car.  The Centre also
runs a Ramana Temple where Sri Bhagavan's statue is there. This Temple is towards South by about 5 kms in Makery Circle. But this
is opened only in the morning for 1 hour and evening for 1 hour. 

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 02, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir. So, Ramana Centre, Bangalore, has everything, except perhaps accommodation. Next time, when I visit Bangalore, I wish to visit the Centre also. Every time I wished to reach there, but couldn’t.

I know that the President of the Centre is Dr. Sarada. I have read some books written by her. Her writing on Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching is spontaneous. I have certainly benefitted from her writing as I have from that of yours.

Is Ramana way published monthly ? In how many languages this journal is published ? Are Hindi publications also brought out by the Centre ? Lastly, I wish to subscribe for the ‘Ramana way’. Can it be done through E-mail ?

Regards,
  Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 02, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »

Dear Anil,

Ramana Way is an English monthly publication.  I do not know their e mail address.  I always ask over phone backed by a check [being in Bangalore they accept city cheques] and get the books.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 03, 2011, 08:08:47 AM »
Dear Devotees,

OUR GLORY LIES WHERE WE CEASE TO EXIST.
In order to gain that state, there are only two ways—Enquiry and Self-surrender. It is believed generally that surrender is easy. Devotees believe that all one has to do to surrender is to stand before the Guru, or God and utter, “I surrender”, and the process is complete. As we are aware, this is not surrender. Unless the pair of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ is surrendered in such a way that that no one is left even to seek Grace, surrender cannot be said to be complete. However, Sri Bhagwan has said that partial surrender is possible for all. With ‘Eka Chintana’, partial surrender is certain to fructify into total surrender.

The other way is the Straight Path of Enquiry.

Sri Bhagwan : As the mind, seeking inwardly through the enquiry ‘Who am I?’, reaches the Heart, and the one known as  ‘I’ bows its head in shame, the One appears spontaneously as ‘I-I’. However, that which appears is not ‘I’, or the ego-I. It is the perfection of the real. It is Reality that is the Self.
                                                                                                          V. 30, ULLadu Narpadu

Dear devotees, way is inward, inward, inward……  . With steady and firm determination, one is certain to reach Home i.e. Heart. What becomes of the ego-I which launched the quest ? One realises that it did not exist, it does not exist. What remains after the ego-I hangs down the head in shame ?
Dear devotees, One ‘I’ appears as Itself. This is the Reality. This ‘I’ is Existence- Consciousness Itself. Now, this True ‘I’ does not say I, I, I….  . It appears as ‘I-I’. It is verily ‘I-I’—unbroken, undivided experience. As I need not broadcast that I am a man, similarly, the True ‘I’ need not repeat ‘I-I’. One is “I”, One is its meaning and implication that is Swarupa Itself. One is resplendent and transcendent Existence-Consciousness Himself. To whom in heaven should It say ‘I-I’ ? It is “I”.
                                                                         ( To continue)

Thank you,
    Anil                 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 03, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I know no other God than this
Ramana who utters only
One word and no other word,
“Inward” is the word he utters.
To me, who wished to know the path
Upward, heavenward, even to me,
The word he uttered was this word,
“Inward, inward is the path,
For everyone path is inward.”
                                         V. 533, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

Dear Devotees, I also know no other God than this God in Koupina who teaches only two words “Summa Iru” or ‘Stand Still”. Yes, Path to ‘Summa Iru’ is inward. Yes. Inward, inward is the Path.  AND DESTINATION IS THE HEART where ‘I am’ Consciousness is pure and resplendent unlike the ‘I am so and so’ contaminated and objective consciousness.

Illusory ‘I’ is rising and setting, always remaining what it is –an illusion. The True “I” is as It always is—Existence-Consciousness. IT REMAINS AND ENDURES— FOR E VER. It does not say ‘I’. IT SHINES AS UNBROKEN ‘I-I-I’. It does not think it is ‘I’. It ever is True “I”. It is the True Subject—without subject and object. I AM THAT I AM. Inward, inward, is the Path to the Heart for Experience.
                                                                                                              ( To continue)

Thank you,
   Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 03, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says in ‘Who am I ?’ that all one gives to others, one gives only to oneself. If this truth is known, who indeed will not give to others. Sri Muruganar sings that everything flourishes as one’s own Swarupa. Therefore, whatever a person does, he does that to only himself. If he practices deceit towards other, he brings about his own ruin by becoming an enemy to himself. (V. 808 & 806, GVK)

There is only one Self. Therefore, there is only one True Life. Self is the Self of selves. True Life is the Life of lives. Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan is known to utilise every opportunity for the teaching of this  cardinal Truth. There is an eye-opening story narrated on page-354,355 of the GVK edited by Sri David Godman. The story was originally narrated by Sri Robert Adams, an American devotee who stayed at Sri Ramanshramam between 1947 and 1950. The story narrated in GVK is more or less as follows :

A German lady devotee came to the Ashram and apparently made some kind of donation. But she was unhappy for some reason or the other and complained to Sri Bhagwan. Sri Bhagwan kept silent.  She wanted her donation back and go back to Germany. She started to argue with one of the managers of the Ashram in front of Sri Bhagwan. Sri Bhagwan just looked on. However, He is God Himself. After a while, when He had enough, He said in English :
“ Give her back her donation and add 50 rupees to it.” It was done and she left for Germany.

Following afternoon, when a devotee asked why did Sri Bhagwan do that, Sri Bhagwan replied :

“ When she gave us a donation, to whom do you think she gave it to? She gave it to herself, for there is only one Self. When she took it back, she took it away from herself. When she goes back to Germany, I am sure she will have financial problems until she learns that anything she gives is only given to herself. There are not two or three or four selves, there is only one Self.”

So, deer devotees, implication of the message is inescapable. I am the Self, you are the Self. All are the Self—sentient as well as insentient. Therefore, anything given is given only to oneself. Anything taken away is taken away from oneself. Deceit towards others is deceit and ruination brought about to oneself.

Thank you,
   Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 03, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »

Dear Anil,

It is a nice incident with full of morals. There are many who come
to Sri Bhagavan and expect liberation to be handed over to them on
a platter. They go away when they come to know that Sri Bhagavan never does such things. He only shows the way and each one has to work out himself.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 03, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »

Ji. Yes. It is hard to believe that some people who came to Sri Bhagwan were spiritually so naive that they requested Sri Bhagwan to confer Jnana on them immediately so that their train is not missed and they are able to board the train in time, as if Jnana is some commodity. I am also aware that some devotees cited Sri Vivekananda's example and requested Sri Bhagwan to do the same to him. Sri Bhagwan has said that Sri Vivekananda was ripe and was anxious for Realisation. He must have completed preliminary course in his past births. We all are the Self only. Ego-mind is the obstacle to Its Realisation.
For removal of the ignorance in the form of the ego-mind, necessary effort must be put in and that is the sadhana. Guru cannot realise for the devotees. Sri Bhagwan has said that the devotee must put in his share of the effort. Effort, therefore, is sine-qua-non.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:45 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan’s Cardinal Teaching can be summed up in three words.
Stand Still ( Summa Iru ).
Be (Mouna).

Both within and without shines our Atma-Swarupa whose nature is wholly Mouna. OUR ATMA-SWARUPA IS WHOLLY MOUNA EXISTENCE-CONSCIOUSNESS-BLISS.  We are ignorant of our radiant, effulgent and supremely Blissful Atma-swarupa because mental clouds have concealed us from Real Us as clouds in the sky conceal the sun. Supreme need is to penetrate to the Core of our Being by intense and profound pursuit of Enquiry or Vichara, or by Surrender with ‘eka-chintana’ fructifying into complete Self-surrender.

“Mind of mine, you who through ignorance have subverted your true nature by thinking ‘I am a jiva’! I give you this warning: should you now begin to think ‘I am Siva’, you will be deceived yet again. In the ultimate state the thought ‘I’ does not exist at all. That which truly exists is only the Atma-swarupa, the Heart that exists and shines.”
                                                                              V. 897, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

This ignorance must come to an end. We are not insignificant jivas. Knowing that (may be, this is merely intellectual in the beginning), ‘I’ ever exist and shine as Resplendent  Atma-swarupa, how can ‘I’ remain content with this, seemingly, extremely sorrowful experience, as jiva with a progressively decaying body,  of the world and the phenomena ? Therefore, Sri Muruganar warns the mind, which due to ignorance, have subverted Its Pure Nature into thinking ‘I am a jiva’ not to commit another grievous error yet again by beginning to think ‘I am Siva’. Dear devotees, I am Siva, You are Siva and everything and everybody are Siva only. So, to whom to proclaim ‘I am Siva’ ? What need is there for Siva to do so ? In Siva or Swarupa, ‘I’ does not exist. Swarupa or Siva remains as ‘I’.

This, in my view, is the meaning of the ‘Mouna’. When ‘I’, as ego, reaches the Heart by Vichara, it is irrevocably destroyed.  What remains is the Effugent and Resplendent  Swarupa. In that Swarupa, Sri Bhagwaan says, there is absolutely no possibility of thinking  ‘ I am Siva’ or ‘I am That’.   

In that state ‘Being’ is the only experience.

Thank you,
   Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 04, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »

Dear Anil,

Without realizing one's true nature, if one could say I am a Jiva,
then how is it like? Muruganar says it is like standing neck deep
in Ganga waters and crying I am thirsty, I am thirsty!

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 04, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »

Human beings boast of the endowment of the critical mind. But, without ascertaining the truth of their existence, they keep on asserting that they are limited and bound jivas. So much for the claim that man is rational !
“I AM that I AM”
What is its meaning ?
From the Sacred Utterances of Sri Bhagwan on a number of occasions, it is obvious that it means that a person must abide as the ‘I’. ‘I’ must abide as the ‘I’. I am nothing whatsoever else other than the Self, other than the True ‘I’. Yet I ask, “Who am I ?” Sri  Bhagwan says that only a victim of illusion would ask, “Who am I ?” So are we, are we not ?  We, being the Self always, identify ourselves with the illusory and non-existent non-Self. We are victims of illusion. We need to be disillusioned. Investigation “Who am I ?” is inevitable to end the illusion. The false and insignificant jiva cannot arrogate to itself for ever That which is Existence-Consciousness, and Self of all. Sri Bhagwan says that the ego-I is like a thief.  When a search is launched the thief flees away, similarly, when enquiry as to the True Self is setup, usurper merges into the Source from where it rises in the first place.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan has said that approach to the subject differs according to the personality. Tirvannamalai is always the same place by whichever route it is gained. Self is the same by whichever path it is gained. But, being in Tiruvannamalai, if one asks for the route it is ridiculous. Sri Bhagwan tries to make us understand thus : “ So also, being ever the Self, if one asks how to realise the Self it looks absurd”.  One is the Self. One must remain as the Self. But one identifies the Self with the body and the non-Self. That, Sri Bhagwan says, is ignorance and that must end. On removal, the Self alone is.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil