Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758120 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #900 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:26 AM »
 This path [attention to the ‘I’] is the direct path; all other are indirect ways. The first leads to the Self, the others elsewhere. And even if the latter do arrive at the Self it is only because they lead at the end to the first path which ultimately carries them to the goal. So, in the end, the aspirant must adopt the first path. Why not do so now ? Why waste time ?
                          Sri Bhagwan, quoted here from Padamalai, Ori. Source-Conscious Immortality, P-176

Dear Devotees,

“Why not do so now ?” “Why waste time ?” All other ways in the end will lead to the Self-enquiry by means of which alone can one arrive at the Self. There should be no doubt about that. So as I understand it is as follows :

We may make substantial progress following other paths. But, nevertheless, these paths, on their own, cannot take the aspirants to the Self. Sri Bhagwan says that these paths in the end lead to the Vichara which, in fact, and not those paths themselves, enable the aspirant to the Self. Self is here and now. Truth is here and now. ‘I am’ here and now. Where ever we are we have to return here and now. And not somewhere else at some future date. So Sri Bhagwan asks, ‘Why not take up Vichara here and now ? Why waste time ?” 

“ Regard the question ‘Who am I ?’ as the axe that cleanly severs the doubts that beset you now, and are that bound to do so in the future.”
                                                                     V. 25, Self-enquiry, Padamalai

Thank you,
   Anil

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 24, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sakti nipada was given to Sri Bhagavan in Madurai by goddess Meenkashi. The divine power that descended on Him did wonders
in due course of time. The goddess made Him to achieve self realization from 'death experience' in just 20 minutes and also directed Him to Tiruvannamalai.

Arunachala Siva.
Please, where can I find this episode of Sri Bhagavan's life?
Is it in an authobiography?

Greetings,
Jyoti

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 24, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »

Dear Jyoti,

1. It is briefly explained in Sri Ramana Ashottaram.

2. It is also there in the 8 volume, Arunachala's Ramana, the Boundless Ocean of Grace. But I am not able to tell you in which
volume this explanation is.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 25, 2011, 08:24:56 AM »
Sulking, pretending you are an independent being, and saying ‘I’, is empty, futile and captious.
                                                                                                  Verse—14, Ch. Self-enquiry, Padamalai

Taking the underlying consciousness [I am] as the one unique refuge for your attention, live your life.
                                                                                                    Verse—16, Ch. Self-enquiry, Padamalai

The awareness of being, ‘I am’ [sat-bodha], which shines as the source of intellect, is the divine grace that enables the attainment of true jnana.
                                                                                                    Verse—17, Ch. Self-enquiry, Padamalai

Dear Devotees,

No one, in Truth, is individual. Individuality is a mere pretension. So, saying ‘I’ as an independent being is futile and empty. What to do ? For fulfilment of the purpose of the human life, one and only one refuge for attention is the underlying consciousness ‘I am’. Sri Muruganar says ‘I am’ is Sat-bodha. Therefore, Sat-bodha, ‘I am’, is that Divine Grace that enables the attainment of the true Swarupa. Sri Bhagwan says that in the quest for the Self, ‘I am’-ness which is the primary datum of our experience is the one infallible clue. Sri Bhagwan has emphatically asserted that no clue other than the aham-vritti [the ‘I am’-ness] can lead one directly to the Self-realisation.

What is self-evident to us ? Are the experiences that we derive through the senses are self-evident ? It must be evident to all of us that the experiences gained through the senses are far from being self-evident. Sri Bhagwan says that ‘I am’, or ‘I exist’ is the only permanent  and self-evident experience of everyone. Self alone is self-evident, pratyksha. So, for self-investigation, He says, only thing to do is to be ‘I am’ and remain as That.

Thank you,
   Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 25, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »
“’Leaving the corpse-like body as an actual corpse and remaining without even uttering the word ‘I’ by mouth, if one enquires , ‘What is it that rises as “I” ?’ then in the Heart a certain soundless sphurana, ‘I-I’, will shine forth of its own accord.’” 
                                                                                    Sri Bhagwan

Dear Devotess,

Sri Bhagwan thus explains the Technique. Leave the body as what it is. An actual corpse. If not a corpse, what it is ? ‘I’, the Self animates it. Only contrary to experience, we utterly and falsely believe otherwise.
Put the question only once, “Who am I ?”, remain still solely concentrated on the sense that is ‘I’, without even uttering the word ‘I’. What happens ? Sri Bhagwan says that when serious quest for the Self is made, THE I-THOUGHT AS A THOUGHT DISAPPEARSAND SOMETHING ELSE FROM THE DEPTH TAKES HOLD OF YOU. And that something is not the ‘I’ which launched the quest. There is the Presence remaining as mere witness. Sri Bhagwan says that It is real ‘I’, the Self, the true import of ‘I’.

The answer to the question is the soundless sphurana ‘I-I’ that shines as the silent jnana in the Heart. ‘i-I’. Why I-I-I-I-i….. ? Because in Reality there is no break in the experience of ‘I’ unlike the broken experience of the ego-I. Sri Bhagwan says that the Original Name I-I-I is always going on spontaneously without any effort on the part of the individual silently. It is Aham-Aham. Even in the dark Aham-Aham, even in the deep sleep, Aham-Aham. Even during the dream, Aham-Aham. Even In the waking, Aham-Aham. Always Aham. Beyond manifestation and unmanifestation. It is only when I swerve from the Original Aham tangentially and manifest as ahamkara, as the wretched ego assuming a body-mind and with it the sense of doership that leads us to oblivion.

Therefore, Sri Muruganar sings : ‘Do not imagine that there are two ‘I’s and suffer and lament as a consequence. By consolidating yourself in the Self, know and enjoy the ‘I’ as  one.’
                                                                                                V. 25, Self-enquiry, Padamalai

Thank you,
   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 25, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »

Dear Anil,

I-thought is the primary thought. From this all thoughts about body etc., emerge.  It is like the stone thrown on a tank. It produces circles after circles and ultimately all circles disappear. With this
I- thought, one should seek the source.  Like the dog scenting the
master, and catching him.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 25, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I-thought is the primary thought. Both the I-thought as well as this-thought emanate from the same source, i.e. the Self. Sri Bhagwan says that although I-thought is known as a thought, it is not really a thought like the other thoughts. For, all other thoughts are not essentially inter-related with each other, I-thought is equally and essentially related with each and every thought of the mind. Otherwise, these thoughts would not have any locus-standi at all.
Ji. Yes. The birth of I-thought is like a stone thrown in a body of water. The body of water in the case of the birth of the I-thought is the Consciousness. It produces circles after circles and ultimately all circles disappear. Nay. Why only homogeneous circles ? It produces ripples after ripples, circles after circles, ellipses after ellipses, parabolas after parabolas and the Guru alone knows in what shapes and sizes thoughts would issue out, all this-thoughts, on the substratum of the Consciousness, to imprison the cental I-thought. Without the I-thought there can subsist no thought at all. Therefore, I-thought is fundamentally different from the other thoughts of the mind.

It follows, therefore, that I-thought is the primary cause. The body and the world is subsequent to the birth of the I-thought. So, if by enquiry, this troublesome I-thought is got rid of, the secondary one will evaporate of its own accord. Reality shines as ‘I-I’ in the Heart unbroken by proliferating this-thought. Dear sir, this is how I have understood, followed and experienced the Guru’s Teaching.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 26, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »
On his dedicated head he carries,
As if it were his own, all burdens
His devotees should bear.
He bestows on them with natural ease
A rich life filled with peace serene.
Even if I have drunk poison, or if
I am caught ‘twixt the tusks of elephants,
“Fear no,” he tells me and protects me,
This Lord Ramana of Aruna.
                                                     Verse—937, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

What is this “I” that rises from within ?
Only a thought that like a bubble floats
Up to the troubled surface of Awareness.
In sleep the sea is still, no bubble rises,
Then too you are and are aware you are.
You are not the “I” that rises and sets,
You are the sole Awareness in the All,
The eternal, uncreated light of Being.

Verse—1048, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

In sleep the sea is still. No bubble rises. In sleep, I, the Self, or the Consciousness, is still and unalloyed, experiencing the UTTER  RELAXATION OF THE SWARUPA. My instrument of cognition is not there. Still, ‘I AM’ and aware too that ‘I AM’. I wake, and, lo, I see bubbles rising and beginning to proliferate. I am no longer the sea itself. What becomes of me ? I become bubbles. Identify myself with the bubbles, rising and setting. Pity ! THE SOLE AWARENESS IN ALL, THE ETERNAL, UNCREATED LIGHT OF BEING IS FRAGMENTED INTO PETTY CONSCIOUSNESS IN LAMPS, AND BULBS; AND DARKNESS TAINTED LIGHT.

Thank you,
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 26, 2011, 10:41:51 AM »

Dear Anil,

The first verse you quoted from Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai is describing surrender, total surrender.  When all burdens are borne
by God, why do you want to carry the burden on your head?  Sri
Bhagavan says the same thing, in Who am I?:

'When all burdens are borne by Parameswara Sakti, why do you keep on thinking, I should do this, I should do that.? When  a man travels in a train, which carries and moves with all burdens, why do you keep
your small bundle on you head, instead of placing it on the train?

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 26, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »

"Even if I have drunk poison, or if
I am caught 'twixt the tusks of elephants,
" Fear not," he tells me and protects me,
This Lord Ramana of Aruna."

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much sir. The Verse 937 of Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai is an assurance to those devotees who have surrendered their ego-mind to the Feet, Padam, and await His pleasure. Such devotees are not cocerned about whether the Guru does somethig for them or doesn't.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan is the Sadguru. Sri Muruganar is His Divine Poet. The more I read Sri Muruganar, the more I want to read him. I can never have enough of him. Sometimes I am sad that I cannot read his original composition. However, good translation would do.

Dear sir, in fact it never occured to me that this is the path of Bhakti and that is Vichara. Guru's vakyas are the Brahma vakyas. He has said that seeking the Self and abidance in It is devotion of the highest order. Once you also said to keep the Guru within the Heart and pursue Self-enquiry as taught by Him. Sri Bhagwan is now not in the body. But as He said, where could He go ? He is the INNER SELF. So, I firmly believe that I love my Self, otherwise why should I strive so hard to finally merge into the Self and be the Self Itself ? Because I love the Self. And Sri Bhagwan is none other than that very Self.

Regards,
  Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 26, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »

Dear Anil,

Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam;

NaayiR kadaiyam naayenai nayanthu neeye atkoNdai,
MayapiRavi un vasame vaithittirukkum adhuvanRi
Aayak kadaven naano thaan ennatho engkadhikram
Kaayththiduvai unnudaiya kazhal keezh vaippai kaNNuthale.

[Decad on Melting, Kuzhaitha Pathu, Verse 8, Tiruvavachkam.]

I am lowlier than a dog, but you have shown love towards me and is ruling over this dog. This maya of birth is under your control, as otherwise, Who am I to investigate, what is my right?
Either you keep me at your feet or throw me to the another body.

This is saint's determination. I have been taken over by Siva. Henceforth I am his bonded labour. Who am I to make decisions?
What is my right. Siva shall keep me at his golden feet or throw me into another body, O Lord with an eye in forehead.

This is surrender. total surrender. where there no I at all. ego is completely burnt.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 26, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »

Ji.Very nice post. Thank you so much sir. These are some of the greatest devotional
 songs I have ever read.

"See, see, He is ccaught in the net of my Bhakti".

The above Verse is also perhaps in the Tiruvachkam ?

Is there an English translation of the Tiruvachakam available ? If, yes, kindly give me details.

Regards,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 27, 2011, 05:20:53 AM »
Arjuna, I am the universal Self seated in the heart of all beings; so, I alone am the beginning, middle and the end of all beings.
                                                          Verse—20, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Dear Devotees,

In accordance with the Great Upanishad, “That which was not in the beginning and that which woud not be in the end but which appears only in the middle, cannot be real”. Sugar is in the beginning, sugar is in the end, in between a sugar doll has come into being. Is the sugar- doll real ? Has it any existence apart from the sugar. Soil is in beginning. Soil is in the end. In between images made of soil have come into being. Are these images real. Sri Bhagwan’s standard analogy, to drive this very point home, is silver in mother-of pearl. God, the world and the individual souls are mere appearances in the Consciousness like the silver in mother-of pearl.

Beginning and the end we do not know. But we claim to know the middle. Do we really ? Sri Bhagwan says that if we know the truth of the middle, we shall know the beginning and the middle as well. We neither know the past, nor the future. Sri Bhagwan says that if we realise the truth of the present, past and the future will be known as well.

Thank you,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 27, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
Do not wilt and lose heart—walk with abundant faith in divine grace.
                                                                                 Sri Muruganar, Padamalai

Dear Devotees,

Grace is the primary and essential cause. Rest everything else is secondary. But, there is no moment when Grace is not operating in us. We cannot even remember Him without His Grace, leave aside the Realisation of the Self. We must understand that Divine Grace is not external. It is within us. Grace is the Self.

If we are prompted to learn the technique of Atma-Vichara, and strive on the Path ceaselessly, we are prompted to do so by the Self. Who else can do it ? And that is the Grace. With steady determination, with steadfast efforts with perseverance, one begins to understand that Grace is not something external to us.

One cannot lament that one requires Grace to progress in sadhana. Sri Bhagwan says that Divine Grace is vouchsafed only to those who have either surrendered, or striven hard on the Path to Self-realisation. Therefore, it follows that manifestation of Grace is due to effort and effort is not possible without the Divine Grace. So, one is the cause of the other.

GRACE IS THE BEGINNING, MIDDLE AND THE END. ABUNDANT.  Nothing is possible without the Grace. Is life possible without air ? As abundant air sustains temporal life, Grace is the life-line of the jivas. IT IS EVER-PRESENT; EVER PRMPTING FROM WITHIN. Do not wilt and lose heart—walk with abundant faith in the unfailing Divine Grace. It is not for nothing that Sri Bhagwan says that everything will come good in the end. HIS SAYING SO IS THE MANIFESTATION OF GRACE.

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 28, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Everything that is known through the mind and the senses is not the direct knowledge. Anything known through the mind and the senses is unreal, asat. Knowledge by the Light of the Consciousness alone is real. We must understand that one Consciousness is the material cause for all perceptions.

Error lies in mistaking the petty mind-consciousness as the Self-consciousness. We believe what is mere instrument of cognition to be ‘ourselves’. We exist without the mind. There is no mind in the deep, sleep. Yet we are, we do not deny that we did not exist during the sleep. On waking mind emerges through the five senses and perceives external objects. We term this perception as the direct perception. But is it really the direct perception ?

Direct perception ? We do not recognise It yet. ‘I’ is directly perceived. Is It not ? Only thing is this that we do not recognise It because It does not announce Itself as an object for the senses to perceive and recognise as the knowledge. Sri Bhagwan says that this habit of recognising only external objects through the senses as the knowledge is so strong in us that the perceiving consciousness is forgotten and false mind-consciousness which reins supreme. Does it not ?  And this is the cause of all miseries. Contact of the mind with the not-Self is the root of all miseries. For, there can never be an end to omission and commission, inferences and examples, loss and gain sorrows and joys and so on and so forth.
Since Existence , ‘I’, is Itself shinning as ‘I-I’, as  the ‘Infinite Eye’ in the Heart, that Eye, that Consciousness, that Knowledge, alone is directly perceived. Objects seen by the physical eyes are unreal, asat.
The Great Poet clears the mist ;

“Self alone is the real eye. Therefore, Self, which is known by itself, alone is the real direct knowledge. But insentient people, who do not have Self’s sight, claim the knowledge of alien sense-objects to be direct knowledge.”
                                                                   Verse—878, GVK, Tr. and Comm. Sri Sadhu Om

THOSE WHO DO NOT SEE THROUGH THE SELF’S EYE ARE INSENTIENT PEOPLE , SINCE THEY SEE THROUGH THE INSENTIENT PHYSICAL EYES.     
(Discussion on objectified consciousness or the mind-consciousness to continue in the next post.)
Thank you,
    Anil