Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755698 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #870 on: May 14, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »

Dear amiatall,

Very nice post. Brahmasri Nochur Venkataraman also says that as soon as you get up, say 6 am in the morning, for sometime, stay in the bed, sitting and investigate where were you just one hour back.
You will find that you were inside the Svtama Tirtham, in the waters
of one's own Self, where mind had disappeared. Then for sometime, on the bed see what is the interval between two thoughts of yours.
Suppose you think I should go to office by 9 am today....period...
I should have quick shave and bath......Period..... What breakfast my wife would be making  today?.... Period.... analyse this peroid between two thoughts, where there were no thoughts at all. It may be second or two or even less than a second.  That period is where you are in Pure Mind which is the Self.

Nice post, thanks once again.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 14, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Who can gauge the State of a Jnani.  Only a Jnani can know the State of an another Jnani. 

Sri Muruganar sings :

“ Those who scrutinize [and judge] the Jnani by outward signs, will come back having seen [Him] as emptiness, [because] they do not see the inner light [of the Jnani], which cannot be known by the [fleshy] eye in the face.”
                                                            Verse—1167, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

Sri Sadhu Om comments that even in the case of Sri Bhagwan there were some people who used to ridicule and find fault with Him. We must understand that it is futile to scrutinize and judge a Jnani by His outward appearance.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 14, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
Dear Sri amiatall,

Yes.  Thank you so much for a very nice post. What you have posted is, in my view, true. When we start to recognize it, thoughts happen and distract us. Vasanas in the thought-form. Yes. There are occasions, when one is at peace with oneself, tranquil, mind free from agitation, or in close proximity to nature, that mind starts to realize that its own projections are being seen, as you said so beautifully. But interest in the objective world from the time immemorial drags to the objects and phenomena.

Dear Sri amiatall, there is a continuity in the sleep, waking and dream states and also between two thoughts. What is that continuity ? Sri Bhagwan says that State of Pure Being. Sri Bhagwan says in Talk—196 that just on waking from the sleep and before becoming aware of the world there is that pure ‘I-I’. From here one can either again lapse into sleep or thoughts of the object may possess him and then he is waking. Sri Bhagwan says that if that pure ‘I-I’, between sleep and waking, is held, the seer remains unaffected by the phenomena. This Pure State momentarily intervenes between sleep and waking. Sri Bhagwan says that if prolonged it is cosmic  consciousness , or even Ishwara. The same is true between the two thoughts, between the subsidence of one thought and rise of another thought. The Self underlies all movement, change and modification brought about by the mind. If mind turn inward and become That, only the Self is.

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 14, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »

Dear Anil,

Once some devotee came and asked Sri Bhagavan: How will you know that another person is a Jnani.  Sri Bhagavan replied: If
I am a Janani, then there is no second and I cannot gauge whether another person is a Jnani since there is only One and without a
second.  If I am an Ajnani, then I can never understand his jnana bodham since it cannot be unfathomed by an Ajnani. In either case, I can never find out."

Sri Bhagavan also once said " From my point of view, every one is a Jnani.  If someone is saying that he is ajnani, ignorant, he is only acting.."       

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:49 AM »

Ji. Yes. I am aware of Sri Bhagwan’s reply as you have mentioned in your post. This was perhaps His usual reply when He was asked by a devotee to explain something from the stand-point of a Jnani. He was and He is the Self of the whole world. How can He designate or identify somebody to be Janai and another an ajani ? From the stand-point of Sri Bhagwan, His mind was dead, or as He often said that everybody was a Jnani and if somebody says otherwise, it can be understood as per His Teaching that he is acting. If it is not acting, what it can be at all from the stand-point of the Reality as Sri Bhagwan has taught us ?

But this discussion is very fruitful indeed. However dear sir, I will not be able to participate in the on-going discussion till at least 17 th of this month due partly to the nature of my work and the other reason is unavailability of net at my work place at present.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
   Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 16, 2011, 04:48:19 AM »
Disciple : Who is God ?
Master: He who knows the mind.
Disciple :My Self, the spirit, knows my mind.
Master : Therefore you are God; and also the sruti declares that there is only one God, the Knower.
                                                         Verse—6, Forty On What Is, Supplement

There is only one God—Eternal, All-pervading, all-knowing.  He is the All-knowing Knower. But there is only one Knower. The Knower is the Knower of the mind.  Do I know the mind ? Anil doesn’t. But ‘I’ KNOW, NAY, EVER-PRESENT ‘I AM’ KNOWS. ONLY EVER-PRESENT, ‘HERE’ AND ‘NOW, THAT ‘I AM’ CAN BE THE ONE AND ONLY KNOWER.
And that ‘I am’, the Knower, is the Self. Mind rises from there and says, ’ I know’. Does a man need say that he is a man ? Does the All-Knowing Knower need say that He knows ? Sri Bhagwan says that by enquiry ‘Who am I?’ remain still as ‘I’, the mind will merge in the Self. Then Witnesss-Knower alone remains. This is as the Experience and neither thinking as such nor there is any scope for going around saying that either I know or I experience. THEREFORE, Sri Bhagwan says,” Summa Iru, or Just Be, or Just be your Natural Self, or as you are.”  That is all we have to do and see for ourselves !

Thank you,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »

Dear Anil,

God or Atma or the Self is only One. The names and forms are different in various religions.  God or the Self is Effulgent. It is Sat Chit Anandam.  That is why, when many Western devotees asked Sri
Bhagavan whether they should switch over to Hinduism, Sri Bhagavan
disapproved such a step, since a man from any religion can attain the
Self realization, by truly following the principles of that religion.

Sri Bhagavan says the same idea in Verses 3,4, and 5 of Sri Arunachala Ashtakam.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Veiling hides our Self-Nature. But phenomena cannot hide our True Nature as the Self, as what in reality we are, in entirety. I know that I am. Only I do not know who I am. Sri Bhagwan says that it is light in darkness or knowledge in ignorance. But, nevertheless, moisture is on the surface. Source of water must be found tracing the moisture. Sri Bhagwan says that the entire creation is Shiva Swarupam.

The world-picture that we see is possible in the darkness of the ignorance only as the cinema show is projected in a dark room only. Why ? Because multiplication is possible only in the reflected light and not in the light of the Brahman. Sri Bhagwan says that for differentiation reflected light is necessary. Take the example of the dream. I am sleeping and dreaming. Dreaming takes place while I am still sleeping. So, Sri Bhagwan says that one sees the unreal dream objects while still in the darkness or ignorance of sleep. On waking , he understands that it was only a dream and all the dream objects were unreal. But this is in the light of the waking, full knowledge. But the waking state is another dream.  As one dreams while still in darkness of sleep, so also the waking dream is possible only in the darkness of ignorance of our Real Nature.

But, our Real Nature, i.e. the Self, has nothing to do with this veiling. The sun has nothing to with the darkness. Darkness is the characteristics of the earth. So also, this veiling is the characteristics of the ignorance. Self is the Self, ever as It is. It is not affected by the ignorance and veiling in any manner whatsoever.     

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan is the Ultimate Sadguru and the Supreme Authority. He says that all these and other Vedantic terms are spoken of only to satisfy the questioners. There is really no need for learning all the difficult terms and their meaning. It is enough indeed if one asks , “ To whom all these questions ?, maintains  Self-attention, and with a keen mind seeks the source of his I-ness and on finding the Source merges in it. This is the Self-enquiry or the Atma-Vichara.

Thank you,
    Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 19, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »

Dear Anil,

Self is ever present, eternal and effulgent. Only our ego hides us,
from knowing or realizing the Self.  When the sun is hidden by clouds, we say the sun is hidden.  Is the sun so small as to be hidden by clouds?  No.  Sun is quite large. But our eyes are hidden
by clouds, without ourselves able to see the Sun.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »

Your post conveys a deep meaning which we, devotees of Sri Bhagwan, should always remember. Thank you so much sir.
The sun is not so small that it can be hidden by the clouds. Insignificantly small clouds only hide or intercept our vision. How ? They come in our line of sight and obstruct our vision very effectively indeed. Thus, clouds only prevent our eyes from seeing the sun. Similarly, it is said that mind hides or obstructs the awareness of the Self. But Self is not lacking in either time ( It is always and ever present.), nor lacking in space ( It is All-pervading.), nor lacking in intensity of light ( It is Illumination Itself.), that It can be hidden by anything emanating from within Itself.

Self is effulgent, as you said. But how the Self is effulgent ? What makes It effulgent ? Although the Self illumines both light and darkness, it is neither light nor darkness. But to know anything, illumination is necessary. Such illumination can only be in the form of light. Therefore, It is also said to be Light which illumines both light and darkness.

Therefore, it can be understood that this Light can only be the Consciousness. Sri Bhagwan says It is infinite and remains ever as Consciousness. In Truth, Consciousness is the Self of which we cannot say we are not aware. No one is away from the Self even for an infinitesimal part of a moment.

So, to drive this very point home Sri Bhagwan says : “ So each one is Self-realised. Yet what a mystery that no one knows this fundamental fact, and desires to realise the Self ? This ignorance is due to the mistaking of the body for the self. Realisation now consists getting rid of this false idea that one is not realised. Realisation is not anything newly got. It must be already therein order that it may be permanent. OTHEWISE REALISATION IS NOT WORTH ATTEMPTING.” ( Talk—482)

All we need do is to cease moving away from the Self, from the Core of our Being, and just be. Then The Self is Self-effulgent and Self-realised. So, Sri Bhagwan says everything comes good in the end.

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 19, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan says that Self is ever present.  Only our ego
prevents it without our realizing it. Once Devaraja Mudaliar was
asking Sri Bhagavan: Bhagavan! I am here for so many years. I
still do not have your Grace, it seems.  Sri Bhagavan replied: Oye,
Grace is always there. But 'you' do not come in the way.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 20, 2011, 06:53:46 AM »
“ Can there be speech or breath in that silent union in which the dual outlook ‘I’ and He [I am He]is merged in oneness ? When ‘I’ is thus destroyed, [that is ] when the look of eye meets together with eye, spoken words are of no use whatsoever.”
                                                                                Verse—997, GVK, Tr. and Comm. Sri Sadhu Om

Sri Bhagwan says that Grace is Self and is not given but It always shines as ‘I-I’ in everyone.. Only ‘you’ do not come in the way. Self-realised Poet Sri Muruganar teaches in the above cited Verse that ‘when eye meets together with eye, spoken words are of no use whatsoever’.  All is One.  In Truth there is no differentiation in  Existence-Consciousness, there is no duality. The purpose of singing stotras by the devotees and the purpose of Upadesa given by the Guru are to destroy the individual sense of ‘I’ or the ego only and thereby to make the difference ‘I’ and ‘He’ merge into oneness that is the State of Supreme Silence. In that Supreme Conscious Silence, there is no one to ask for Grace and no one to bestow Grace. Because that atrocious ‘you’ is not in the way then.

Sri Sadhu Om Comments that the phrase “ When the look of eye meets together with eye” in the cited Verse should be understood to mean when the attention of the limited individual consciousness [the ego]meets with and thereby merges into the unlimited Supreme Consciousness [Self], just like a river meeting and merging into the ocean. If ego is thus completely and decisively destroyed, one always enjoys supreme Bliss of God’s Grace, being one with Him for ever.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
   Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. The eye of the Guru is Consciousness, the Self Supreme.
The eye of the disciple is the individual consciousness. This is
called eye meeting the eye. The verse of Muruganar is on the basis
of one two line couplet from Tiruvalluvar's TirukuRaL.  Here the saint
describes the love between the gentleman and his lover. When
their eyes meet each other, there is no need for any spoken words.

Muruganar has written a poem called Tiru KaN Nokkam in Sri
Ramana Sannidhi MuRai. Here he describes the gazing of Sri
Bhagavan on a particular devotee, intently, with the result the ego
of the disciple gets dissolved. No need to give any upadesa.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 20, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »

Ji. Yes. It has been mentioned below the Verse 997of GVK that the last two lines of this verse are verse 1100 of TirukuRal. After reading your post I tried to look for the poem titled 'Tiru KaN Nokkam' in which the Great Poet describes gazing of Sri Bhagwan on a particular devotee, intently, in the Ramana Sannidhi MuRai. But the poem could not be found because the translation of the title of the poem was not available with me. However, I remember reading the poem 'The Eye-meeting Game' in the Ramana Sannidhi MuRai.

When lover's eyes and glances meet,
Of what avail, O maidens, are
Innumerable spoken words ?
Even words with music are no use
With Venkata, Eye of our eye.
Then, let us play the eye-meeting game.
                           Verse--1619, Homage To The Presence Of Sri Ramana.

What poetry ! What sublimity ! What love ! I am not a poet to describe my feelings.

The whole world knows that those who came to Sri Bahgwan were immediately caught and ovewhelmed in the Love pouring out of His Eyes.  AND IT IS AS TRUE TODAY AS IT WAS BEFORE 1950, BEFORE HIS MAHA SAMADHI.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 20, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »

Dear Anil,

Wolter Keers came to Him. He stayed in the Asramam for a few days. Not even a single word was exchanged. Keers was simply
listening to others and then seeing Sri Bhagavan and receiving
Sri Bhagavan's gaze. That was enough for him.  He went back,
after buying some photographs of Sri Bhagavan and a couple of
books.  He became self realized and told his friends one evening,
let us have tea. I have to go to Sri Bhagavan. After tea and after
some friends had left, he prostrated before Sri Bhagavan's photograph and left his mortal coil.  Such cases are are. Mastan
Swami came to Him and stood transfixed for 6 hours and gulped the gaze of Sri Bhagavan. In a few years, he became self realized.

Arunachala Siva.