Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758659 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #840 on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
 6th line in the last post should be read as " Dear devotees, are we mere fictitious, insignificant entities appearing to be emanating from the mind only ?"

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 08, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »

Dear Anil,

This is also the idea expressed by Sri Bhagavan in Verse 5 of
Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam:

He who dedicates his mind to Thee and, seeing Thee, always
beholds the universe as Thy figure, he who at all times glorifies
Thee and loves Thee as none other than the Self, he is the Master without rival, being one with Thee, Oh, Arunachala, and lost in Thy Bliss!

Arunachala Siva.         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 08, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

The fifth Verse of Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam deals with the Path of Bhakti in which one glorifies God with intense love and devotion transcends the world of relativity and merges finally in the feet of the Lord.

Verse no.  3 to Verse no. 5 of Ch.—7 of the  Sri Ramana Gita deal exclusively with the Path of the Atma-Vichara or the Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan. As you are aware Verse—3 of ‘Sri Arunachala Pancharatanam’ also deals  with the Path of the Self-enquiry.

“ He who turns inward with untroubled mind to search where the consciousness of ‘I’ arises, realizes the Self, and rests in Thee, Oh, Arunachala ! like a river when it joins the ocean.”

Water evaporates from the ocean, rain falls, and restless rivers are formed. Restless to join their origin and to regain the repose of the ocean. Likewise, individual ego-I, emanating from the Heart, is restless, and regains beatitude and repose of the ‘Natural State’ only after finding and merging in own source, i.e. the own Self. The ego contains the scent of the Self and therefore the way is the trail of the ego into the Heart.

However, I believe that there is no difference between the Path of Bhakti and Jnana. Glorifying, loving intensely, transcending the samsara and finally merging in the Feet of the  Lord is Bhakti.
Loving the Self, seeking the Self, and finally merging in the Self, is the Path of Atma Vichara or the Self-enquiry.
Thank you so much sir,

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 08, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Bhakti is mother of Jnana. Jnana Matha.  The path of bhakti and
path of jnana lead to the same goal. Saint Manikkavachagar who is also a jnani says in one verse: "Aanal unnai azhutha peRalaame!"
"But, I can weep and get you also. He also says, Bhakti valaiyil paduvon kaanga.  "See he is caught in the net of bhakti."

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 09, 2011, 11:19:07 AM »

Bhakti is the mother of Jnana. If  ‘I’ exists, so exists the Lord. Truth is what is. Therefore, if ‘I’ of the Path of Jnana or Vichara exists, so exists the Lord of the Path of Bhakti. If ‘I’ exists, so exists ‘mine’.

Path of Jnana or Vichara removes the sense of ‘I’, Path of Bhakti removes the sense of ‘mine’. And at the same time the destruction  of the sense of ‘I’ leads to the destruction of the sense of  ‘mine’ and other way round, destruction of  the of ‘mine’ leads to the destruction of the sense of’I’.

Actions performed with unselfish motive and with intense love and devotion to the Feet of the lord is Lord’s actions. So, observing ‘nishkamya’ and remaining free from the sense of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ is Bhakti. And Sri Bhagwan says that the goal of the Vichara is to know that the ‘I’ is not different from the Lord and to remain free from the sense of doership.

So, how bhakti is the mother of Jnana ? End of both jnana and bhakti is the same. Whatever the methods or the paths—destruction of the sense of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ is the goal. One ( Jnana) requires love for the Self, love for the Swarupa, the Natural State; while the other ( bhakti) is love for the Feet of the Lord. Therefore, in truth, bhakti is the mother of Jnana. Bhakti is Jnana Matha as you so beautifully mentioned in your post.

Therefore, in my view, sir, if one indeed wishes to regain the Beatitude and Splendour of the Swarupa which is felt languidly to have been lost in a seeker’s heart, Love for the Self, our Supreme State of True Identity or for the Feet of the Lord is sine-qua-non.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 09, 2011, 11:39:01 AM »

Dear Anil,

Saint Manikkavachagar says Bhakti Vairagya Vichitram.  The wonder
of bhakti - devotion is, that it makes to develop Vairagya, non attachment. Saint Thayumanavar says: Nin seyal anRi en seyal
aavadhu onRum illai. That is, it is all your doings and there is no
such thing as my doing.  This is the ultimate bhakti, leaving everything for the God to do. And that is also Vairagya.  If one
develops this ardent bhakti, then the Self Knowledge starts. Hence bhakti is the mother of jnana.

Sri Bhagavan's case was quite unique. He had His death experience and the Self realization happened.  Then He developed bhakti. He used to go to Madurai Meenakshi Temple and cry before the god and goddess and also the 63 Siva saints and ask: Why not I become one like one of these saints?

Sri Bhagavan never discouraged bhakti. And also the worships,
of names and forms.

Here is the conversation from Talks 273:

Dr. Syed : I have been reading the Five hymns. I find that the hymns are addressed to Arunachala by you.  You are an Advaitin. How do you then address God as a separate being.         

Sri Bhagavan: The devotee, God and the Hymns are all the Self.

Dr. Syed: But you are addressing God. You are specifying this Arunachala Hill as God.

Sri Bhagavan: You can identify the Self with the body. Should not the devotee identify the Self with Arunachala?

Dr. Syed: If Arunachala be the Self why should it be specifically picked out among many other hills? God is everywhere. Why do you specify Him as Arunachala?

Sri Bhagavan: What has attracted you from Allahabad to this place? What has attracted all these people around?

Dr. Syed: Sri Bhagavan.

Sri Bhagavan: How was I attracted here? By Arunachala. The Power cannot be denied. Again Arunachala is within and not without. The Self is Arunachala.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 09, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »

End of both Jnana and Bhakti is knowing oneself. Now, let us consider following two statements of Sri Bhagwan which are His key statements with regard to Jnana, Bhakti and Surrender.

It is enough that that one surrenders oneself. Surrender is to give oneself up to the original cause of one’s being. Do not delude yourself by imagining such source to be some God outside you. One’s source is within yourself. Give yourself up to it. That means that you should seek the source and merge in it.
                                                                                      Talk—208

Surrender can take effect only when it is done with full knowledge as to what real surrender means. Such knowledge comes after enquiry and reflection and ends invariably in self-surrender. There is no difference between Jnana and absolute surrender to the Lord, that is, in thought, word and deed.
                                                                                             Maharshi’s Gospel.

So, only a Jnani can be a true bhakta. For, surrender is to give oneself up to the original cause of one’s being. And that means that one should seek the source and merge in it. And that is the enquiry. Without knowing what actually one is surrendering, surrender cannot be complete. Such knowledge comes only after enquiry and reflection.

Sri Adi Shankara, in my view, sums it up in the Vivekchudamani :
“swaswarupanusandhanam bhaktirityabhidhiyate.”

Therefore, in whatever way one look at it, the one complements the other. Jnana leads to Bhakti and Bhakti leads to Jnana. After all the end of both Jnana and Bhakti is knowing oneself.
Saint Nammalvar : “ I was in a maze, sticking to ‘I’ and ‘mine’; I wandered without knowing my Self. On realising my Self, I understand that I myself am You and that ‘mine’ is only You.”
This, in my view, is the grand synthesis of Jnana and Bhakti. Without understanding true bhakti, one cannot become a true bhakta. This understanding comes with Vichara.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 09, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Bhakti starts with ego intact. As the bhakti matures as surrender, it becomes egoless.  Jnana starts with vanquishing the ego. One is with ego which is vanquished at the end, and another is without ego even at the beginning.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 10, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »
Reflecting “I am the all-blissful Self",
Is worship as with words and flowers.
True circumambulation is the thought,
“In me the million universes roll”,
The reflection that all will ever bow to me ,
And I shall never bow to anyone,
He bows before the Mahalinga-Self.
                                                 Verse—39, Ch.—3,  Ribhu Gita

EVEN WITHOUT THE MIND WE EXIST.

I am waking.
I am sleeping.
I am dreaming.

I am (waking, or sleeping, or dreaming).  Mind outgoing and deriving experiences from its MODES. These mental modes are our waking and dream states and in the state of sleep this mind is indrawn. So, all these ( waking, dreaming and sleeping) are only phenomena passing through the Reflected Light on the substratum of the Self-radiant Being, I AM. Veiling (avarana) cannot hide us completely. One knows that he is; only he does not know who he is. He sees the world but not that all are ‘He’ only, the Brahman.   

How do we know that ‘I am’ ? Does our mind say so ?Do we require a light to find ‘I am’? Do we require reading books to know ‘I am’? It is experience that ‘I am’.  Isn’t it ? Sri Bhagwan says that knowledge due to the mind implies subject and object but experience is eternal. Therefore, this is  the experience that ‘I am’. We all have experience that even without the mind we do exist. I slept well but on waking we say that I do not know anything but slept happily. How can we say that we slept happily ? Because we exist in deep sleep even without the mind which rises on waking to say I do not know anything but nonetheless slept happily. It is easy to see through this paradox. “I Am”, the common factor is there while waking, sleeping and dreaming, to witness all changes and modification of the mind and the ego.

Thank you,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 10, 2011, 01:47:27 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Lakshmana Sarma calls this 'I-am" as asmitha in Sanskrit.
This "I-am"ness is always with us, with all living beings.  Once
Sri Bhagavan was asked: What is waking, dreaming and deep sleep?
How does Consciousness is connected with it?

Sri Bhagavan replied:  How can one not be connected with Consciousness?  Consciousness plus waking is Waking; Consciousness plus dreaming is Dreaming. Consciousness plus deep sleep is Deep sleep.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 10, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »

This is exactly what I meant to say. Other than Consciousness, everything is insentient. Consciousness underlies each and every experience including the states of dream, sleep and waking. By saying, I am waking, I am sleeping and I am dreaming, I meant to express that not only sleeping, dreaming and waking but all phenomena are being enacted on the substratum of the Consciousness i.e. ‘I am’ only.  Mere ‘I am’ is the only Reality and the Existence. Without Existence Itself, no experience whatever is possible.

The seen and the seer is only Consciousness.
The knowledge and the knowable are only Consciousness.
The fixed and the changing are only Consciousness.
The gross and subtle bodies are only Consciousness.
The causal body is, also, only Consciousness.
Illusion and the projected light of Absolute Consciousness are, also, only Consciousness.
The embodied and disembodied are only Consciousness.
Action and causes are only Consciousness. 
                                                          3—19, Ribhu Gita

There is only one Consciousness. The ego-mind and the body are insentient. Life in us is the Same Absolute Consciousness experienced as the Self, or  “I Am”. Transcend the mind that says I am so and so; what remains is “I Am”.  After all, it is not for nothing that the Verse 3—37 of the Ribhu Gita says that “The understanding that I am several crores of universes is the food offering to the Supreme Siva”. It is not for nothing that Sri Bhagwan also observed that “after all, the proper pradakshina is going round the Self, or, more accurately, to realise that we are the Self and that within us all the countless spheres revolve, going round and round.

Therefore, Absolute Truth is the Ralisation. Realisation that I am the Self containing all the selves is the proper pradakshina as well as the proper worship to the Maha-linga.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
   Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 11, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »
World, God, Jiva, time and space are merely illusory mental appearances. Without Consciousness, nothing whatever can ever exist or appear to exist. World, God, JIva. time and space appear only in the Consciousness. Even knowledge and ignorance appear only in the Consciousness. Therefore, all the above are appearing on the screen of the Consciousness “I AM” as pictures on a cinema screen. We are the Absolute Consciousness Itself and not the transitory pictures sometimes appearing and on other times disappearing. There is only one Consciousness. And that is the Absolute Consciousness. All other consciousness that are spoken of, such as mental consciousness, body consciousness  etc.  are only relative states of the same Absolute Consciousness.

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 11, 2011, 08:54:11 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Swarupa means ‘own form’, or the ‘own nature’. We are the Self. So, the Self is our Own Real Form or Own Real Nature. The term Swarupa is generally used to drive the point home that the true nature of the reality is not a mere mental concept but our own inherent ‘Natural State”. Our Swarupa,  Own Real Nature, is always here and now. Rest all other things , all, are coming and going, rising and falling, for the time being, only temporarily. Sri Bhagwan says that the Reality is your own Self, or the Swarupa. So, what we are frantically searching for ? There is nothing for us to realise afresh. What we all are doing is regarding the unreal and the transitory as the real and enduring.  This identification with the ‘not-Self’ should cease so that Swarupa shines as the Pure Knowledge. 

The greatness of the flourishing swarupa is that, being one’s own true nature, it leaves no scope for even saying that it is easy to attain.
                                                                  Verse—62, Padamalai

In that swarupa one can only abide as That. There is no scope of thinking in this state.
                                                                     Verse—63, Padamalai

All else that remains apart from the real is a mental construct, to which there is no definitive and incontestable finality.
                                                                       Verse—65, Padamalai

Investigate and realise that from the very beginning you possess as your own nature the swarupa you are journeying to attain.
                                                                           Verse—69, Padamalai       

ALL ELSE THAT REMAINS APART FROM THE SWARUPA IS A MENTAL CONSTRUCT WHICH IS A BOTTOMLESS PIT.

Thank you,
   Anil                         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 11, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan says in Who am I? as answer to Question 16 as under:

Q: What is the nature of the Self?

Sri B: What exists in truth is the Self alone. The world, the individual soul [jiva] and God [personal god] are appearances in it. Like silver in mother of pearl, these three appear at the same time and disappear at the same time.

The Self is that where there is absolutely no 'I'-thought. This is called Maunam. The Self Itself is the world, the Self Itself is "I";
the Self Itself is God.  All is Siva, the Self.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 11, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much for a very nice post, sir. Sri Bhagwan says in ‘Who am I ?’ that the world, God and individual soul are appearances in the Self, like silver in mother-of-pearl. There is absolutely no I-thought in It and, therefore, no thought whatever due to absence of the root I-thought. The Self is the Self. Nothing whatever can ever be predicated of THAT. Not even Realisation and non-realisation.

Dear sir,  ‘I exist’ is the only permanent Reality. Sri Bhagwan says that I exist or ’I am’ is the only ever present, permanent and self-evident experience of all. Nothing else in the whole creation is as self-evident as ‘I am’. The experience that we have through the mind and the senses are form being self-evident. Self alone is self-evident.

Truth being as the above, we lament that we are ajnani and trying to frantically search for the Self to become Jnani.
Sri Bhagwan says as following in the ‘Day by day with Bhagwan’ : “TO DO SELF-ANALYSIS AND AND BE ‘I AM’ IS THE ONLY THING TO DO. ‘I AM’ IS REALITY. I AM THIS OR THAT IS UNREAL. ‘IAM’ IS TRUTH, ANOTHER NAME FOR SELF. ‘I AM GOD IS NOT TRUE’.     

Regards,
   Anil