Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756640 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #810 on: May 01, 2011, 06:22:20 PM »

Dear Anil,

There are 735 verses in Sri Ramananubhuti Part I.

I shall give a rough translation of Verse 458:

He is the god who is having an effulgent third eye on the forehead,
He is the embodiment of all chit-knowledge, he is a jivan muktan,
He has come to glorify the Siva tattvam, and also the sanatana dharma,
He like a brown cow that pours forth milk, when its udders are touched by the mouth of young calf,
And he saved me with that milk of self knowledge,
I prostrate to Him, His golden anklet wearing feet,
The victory of grace of is ours, the victory of grace is ours.

Here the metaphor is both for Siva and Sri Bhagavan.

There are many such verses. Many of them are difficult to translate unless you work hard for it.

Butler or David might take up that project.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 02, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
Devotee :  Gandhi ji adhered to satya (Truth) so long and won realisation of the Self.
 Sri Bhagwan : What is satya except the Self ? Satya is that which is made up of sat.  Again sat is nothing but the Self. So, Gandhiji’s  satya is only the Self.
                                                                                                                                 Talk—647

Our Father of the nation was certainly aware of the State in which one is devoid of thoughts.

Sri Bhagwan : Yes, it is only after the rise of the ‘I’ thought that all other thoughts arise. The world is seen after you have felt “I am“. The ‘I-thought and all other thoughts had vanished for him ( Gandhiji ). ( Talk—647)

Mahatma Gandhi  said that thought is an obstacle to God’s guidance and reached a state in which thoughts do not come and he himself has described that it took no effort to stop thinking. Sri Bhagwan says that of course no effort is necessary to stop thoughts whereas one is necessary for bringing about thoughts. Devotees must be aware of this Teaching of Sri Bhagwan.  But the purpose of this particular post is to say that I am writing and posting and seeing and doing etc because first” I am “. Sri Bhagwan says ( as above ) that the world is seen only after you have felt “ I am “.
                                                                                                ( To be concluded in the next post )

Thank you,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 02, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »
[b

Dear Anil,

Sat = Satyam = Knowledge = Bliss = Love = Grace.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 02, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »
Dear sir, Ji, yes, Sat, Satyam, Knowledge, Bliss, Love, Grace Etc. all are the Self only. They are different Names for the Self only. Only Self is . Self is Brahman. Thank you so much sir. Regards. Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 02, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
“ Each one knows the Self but is yet ignorant. The person is enabled to realize only after hearing the mahavakyas. Hence the Upanishadic text is the eternal Truth to which everyone who has realized owes his experience. After hearing the Self to be Brahman the person finds the true import of the Self and reverts to it whenever he is diverted from it. Here is the whole process of Realisation.”
                                                      Sri Bhagwan, Talk—647

Sri Bahgwan says that sastras dilate upon tattvas in order to find the Self. The Self is untouched by them. But for the seeker, who is pursuing enquiry after hearing that his own Self is Brahman ( shravana ) and ascertaining the true import of “I” (manana) and when thoughts arise he turns the mind inward to the light of true knowledge( nididhyasana), For such a seeker, Sri Bhagwan says that he can straightaway admit the Self and try to be That, for the Self is self-evident.

I am even before Abraham was.

Sri Bhagwan says that the world is seen after I have felt ‘I am’. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says that sadhak or the seeker must remain as the Self. If he cannot remain as the Self, he must ascertain the true meaning and import of “I” and constantly revert to it whenever other distracting thoughts arise. THIS IS THE PRACTICE. WHEN IT IS NATURAL, IT IS SAMADHI.

Thank you,
    Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 03, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I have learnt that the ancient and traditional path of Self-enquiry is pure Jnana Marga, Path of Knowledge, to be followed in silent meditation in hermitage by one who has renounced. This ancient Path, in the spiritually dark age in the modern times in which we live, perhaps, is not considered practicable by many. What Sri Bhagwan did was not merely to restore the ancient and traditional Path of Self-enquiry but created a new Path of Atma-Vichara, adapted to the present age. The Path of Atma-Vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan is a new Path,Royal and Direct, more suited to the present age than the other paths, can be followed everywhere where we are—in city and household, no less than in forests and hermitage, with a period of fixed meditation everyday and continuously and constantly reverting to the Truth of our Being throughout the day and through the day’s mundane activities.

The Atma-vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan, in my view, is not only a great Path to be employed in meditation but to be used in the events of life also. For example, whenever good or bad fortune befall us, whenever triumph or disaster overtake us, or whenever emotions and sentiments overwhelm us, we have great opportunities indeed to recognize the manifestation of the ego and then there assail it no end by asking to whom is the good or the bad fortune, to whom are the triumph and disaster, and of course who is he who is overwhelmed by the sentiments and emotions. Dear devotees, this is the Path in which the situations and circumstances of our life, far from being an obstacle, are made an instrument of sadhana. This is why Sri Bhagwan always discouraged those who expressed desire to renounce the worldly life.     

Thank you,
    Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 03, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »

Dear Anil,

Many think that one should love the Self. And this is duality.  How
can one call it Jnana marga if there is duality.  One devotee asked the
same question to Sri Bhagavan [Talks $ 433], "Love postulates duality. How can the Self be the object of love?"

Sri Bhagavan replied, "Love is not different from the Self. Love of an object of is of an inferior order. And cannot endure. Whereas the Self is identified with Love. God is Love." Love is the Self loving the Self. There is no duality."  Thus affirmed Sri Bhagavan who knew, for unlike His questioners, He had realized the Self.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 03, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I felt myself in an ecstasy of love and delight while reading the line ‘Love is the Self loving the Self. There is no duality’. You have presented the simple but deep Truth of Love simply but tellingly indeed. Thank you so much for such an extraordinary post, sir. I always expect something like this coming from you. Thank you once again.

I love my children, father, mother, wife etc. only because I love my Self. Sri Bhagwan says that all become dear only owing to the love of the Self. This Love of the Self is supremely pure and supremely blissful. This Love of the Self arises spontaneously towards everyone and everything because all is perceived as the Self only which is NOTHING BUT OUR OWN SWARUPA. This Love of the Self is different from the love that arises in the mind for the sense objects. The Self is as It is—free from duality and non-duality. The Self comprises all. ‘I am’ is the Self. Self is Love. God is Love. And there are not many selves but one Self. Therefore, I loving the Self involves no duality.

Only when the Self, the truth of love, is realized will the powerful tangled knot of life be untied. Only when the supremacy of love merges with you has the blessing of liberation been attained. This is the heart of all truth-declaring religions.
               Verse—652, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 03, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Love of an object is an inferior order and cannot endure. Whereas the Self is love, in other words, God is love. (Talk—433)

This love for the sense objects arises and is experienced by the mind.

“ Atmanubhava [ the direct experience of the Self ] is not only experiencing love through the mind but also through the five senses, everywhere and at all times. This is seeing, hearing, eating, smelling and touching love, which is all bliss.
                              Verse—655, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

Just below this Verse following statement of Sri Bhagwan is quoted :

Sri Bhagwan : The world appearance is an association that comprises the five sense perceptions. He who has known it to be wholly Self, the consciousness that is the supreme, knows and experiences the same swarupa through his five sense as well.

Yes, what is the world appearance is an association of the five sense perceptions. The Self-Realised Sage knows this world appearance wholly to be only the Self. Therefore, He experiences nothing other than THE SWARUPA, through the mind as well as the five senses.

Just below the Verse—652 in GVK, edited by Sri David Godman, on page 277, is quoted  a conversation from the ‘Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, 26 th April, 1948, which I feel apt to quote here as well.

Sri Bhagwan : Love itself is the actual form of God. If by saying, ‘I do not love this; I do not love that’, you reject all things, that which remains is swarupa, i.e. innate Self. That is pure bliss, God, Atma or what you will. That is devotion; that is realization and that is everything.

Devotee : The meaning of what you say now is that we should reject all outside things which are bad, and also all those which are good, and love God alone. Is it possible for anyone to reject everything, saying this is no good, that is no good, unless one experiences them ?

Sri Bhagwan : That is true. To reject the bad, you must love the good. In due course that good also will appear to be an obstacle and will be rejected. Hence, you must necessarily first love what is good. That means you must first love and then reject the thing you love. If you thus reject everything, what remains is the Self alone. That is real love. ONE WHO KNOWS THE SECRET OF THAT LOVE FINDS THE WORLD ITSELF FULL OF UNIVERSAL LOVE.

This, in my view, is the great revelation by Sri Bhagwan of a wholly new perspective with regard to neti, neti. It is well known that Sri Bhagwan taught a devotee only what suited to the temperament of that particular devotee best. After all, He is the Seer of all mind. For Atma-Vichara, when ego ‘I’ reaches the Source, what remains is the Self alone. That is real Love. This is obvious enough that for such a one the world itself is full of universal love. 

Thank you,
    Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 03, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »
Question : Many people find self-enquiry very difficult. Even most of Bhagwan’s devotees seem to follow a bhakti path. If one cannot do enquiry successfully, should one first purify the mind with japa ?

Sri Annamalai Swami : No. If you have some interest in the path of self-enquiry you should follow it even if you feel that you are not very good at it. If you want to do self-enquiry effectively and properly you should stick to that method alone. Other methods may be good in their own right but they are not good as preparations for self-enquiry. If you are serious about becoming a good violin player, you take lessons from a good teacher and practice as much as you can. If you encounter some difficulties you don’t switch to the clarinet for a few months, you stay with your chosen instrument and keep practicing till you get it right. The best preparation for self-enquiry is self-enquiry.
Living By The Words Of Bhagwan, Sri David Godman

Thank you,
    Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 04, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »
Sri Bhagwan taught mainly through the most potent power of infinite Spiritual Silence. It is known about Sri Bhagwan that He wrote mostly in response to either some devotee’s request or to meet some specific needs of some devotees. However, although most of Sri Bhagwan’s writing was evoked on account of particular needs of the devotees, it does not mean that their universality is impaired in any way.

Once when Sri Bhagwan was living in Virupaksha Cave the Mother was preparing poppadum on a certain occasion. She asked Sri Bhagwan to help Her. Sri Bhagwan, instead, composed a poem which, in fact, contains profound spiritual instructions under the symbolism of preparing poppadum.

Song of the Poppadum

Verse—2,

Take the black-gram, ego-self,
Growing in the fivefold body-field
And grind it in the quern,
The wisdom-quest of ‘Who am I ?’
Reducing it to finest flour.
Try and make some poppadums
Eat them and your longing satisfy.

Grind the ego-self, growing in the fivefold body-field, in the wisdom-quest of ‘Who am I ?’

Verse—3,

Mix it with pirandai-juice,
Which is holy company,
Add mind-control, the cumin-seed,
The pepper of self-restraint,
The salt of non-attachment,
And asafetida, the aroma
Of virtuous inclination.
Try and make some….satisfy.

All vastus or samagris (materials) essential for preparing poppadum have been arranged. Holy company, mind control, self-restraint, non-attachment and virtual inclination are essential prerequisites for transmuting ‘I’ into THAT.

Verse—4,

In the Heart-mortar place the dough.
And with mind-pestle inward turned,
Pound it hard with strokes of ‘I’, ‘I’,
Then flatten it with the rolling pin
Of stillness on the level slab (of Being).
Work away, untiring, steady, cheerful.
Try and make some …. Satisfy.

Pounding the ego-self hard with strokes of ‘I’, ‘I’, mind turned inward, the rolling pin of Infinite Silence makes it fall crest-fallen in the Infinite Consciousness of Being. Sri Bhagwan says, “ Work away, untiring, steady and cheerful”. Do not allow fatigue to set in.

Verse—5,

Put the poppadum in the ghee of Brahman
Held in the pan of infinite silence
And fry it over the fire of knowledge.
Now as ‘I’ transmuted into That,
Eat and taste the Self as the Self,
Abiding as the Self alone.
Try and make some …. Satisfy.

Finally, the fire of Self-Knowledge, with the ghee of Brahman in the pan of Infinite Silence, transmutes the ego-self into That. EAT, TASTE AND LOVE THE SELF AS THE SELF ABIDING AS THE SELF.

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 04, 2011, 11:18:27 AM »
Dear devotees, 'The Song of the Poppadum' was cited in my last post from 'The Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharhi', tr. by Sri K. Swaminathan.

Thank you,
      Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 04, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »

Dear Anil,

In Atma Vidya Kirtanam, Sri Bhagavan says that the play of Grace is important in Self Inquiry.  The self inquiry is difficult for most of
us because from time immemorial, the vasanas within us, at best,
makes us do only conventional worships and prayers.  [Even these
are not done by many in the modern times]. We go to temples, we do pujas at home and chant prayers.  So to shift to Self Inquiry, away from this conventional type of bhakti marga, it is difficult and it needs the grace of the God or the Self.

Though Sri Bhagavan stressed Self Inquiry in most of His teachings, He did not under rate the bhakti marga.  In fact, He Himself started with Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam, which is full of bhakti bhavana. Only in Sri Arunachala Ashtakam, He describes the self inquiry in Verse 5 onwards.

For example, see this conversation from David Godman's Be As You Are:

[1992 edition - page 120]:

Q: My practice has been a continuous japa of the names of God....

Sri B: You may continue in your present method. When the japa becomes continuous, all other thoughts cease and one is one's real nature, which is japa or dhyana.... When by conscious effort of japa or dhyana, as we call it, we prevent our mind from thinking of other things, then what remains is our real nature, which is japa.
.... What is now regarded as the means, japa, will then be found to be the goal. Name and God are not different.  This is clearly shown in the teachings of Namdev.

I shall put forth here a simple and straight question:

How many of us in the Forum are doing exclusive Self Inquiry, without any other forms of prayers, pujas, etc.,?

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 04, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »
Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:39:12 AM »

Keeping the Guru within Heart, and investigating into the nature of
Self [which is Self Enquiry] is enough.   If one finds Self Inquiry difficult, then he can keep the form of Guru in Heart and take up
intense devotion and blossom that devotion into surrender to the
Guru.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. You said that keeping the Guru within Heart,and investigating into the nature of the Self (which is Self-enquiry) is enough. Grace is the primary cause.One cannot even think about God or the Self without that Grace. " When the mind free of thought turns inward, Annamalai appears as my own Self. True, Grace is needed; Love is added. Bliss well up."

Sri Bhagwan says that so long as there is vibhakti, there must be bhakti.So long as there is viyoga, there must be Yoga. So, as long as duality is there, ther must be God and devotee. Similar is the case in Vichara. So long as there is Vichara, there is duality too. Therefore, on realising the God of devotion, there will be unity only. Ego-'I' merging in the Source, there will be unity only. Self and God are one and the same.

Sri Bhagwan says ( Talk--154)  that "if one is told to have bhakti for God and he does so straightaway, it is all right. But there is another kindof man who turns round and says: 'There are two, I and God. Before knowing the far-off God, let me know the more immediate and intimate 'I'. For him the vichara-marga has to be taught. There is in fact no difference between bhakti and vichara."

Sri Annamalai Swami : No. If you have some interest in the path of self-enquiry you should follow it even if you feel that you are not very good at it. If you want to do self-enquiry effectively and properly you should stick to that method alone.

What I meant to say is exactly what Sri Annamalai Swami ji has replied as above. If one has some interest in Vichara, he should stick to it, even if he is not yet very good at it. We should also at no stage of our sadhana forget that Sri Bhagwan has over and again emphasised that the self-enquiry is the only adequate and infallible means. This is the Royal Straight Path.

Yes. One cannot succeed on this Path without Sri Bhagwan.OF COURSE HE IS THE SUPREME DIVINE COMMANDER ON THIS PATH.

As for the members on this Forum, all I can say is this that Sri Bhagwan is the Guru and the Self of all. He is the Supreme Guide. He alone knows what is the best for us.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 04, 2011, 06:14:26 PM »

Dear Anil,

It may be interesting for you to note that Annamalai Swami himself was given the mantra Siva, Siva, in the beginning.  He quickly climbed from that mantra japa and attained the method of self inquiry easily since he was a ripe soul.  Muruganar was also given the mantra Siva, Siva.  An unknown Harijan was also given a mantra.  Self Inquiry alone is enough only for such ripe souls.  Others have to be given a climbing ladder of mantra japa or pujas.

Take  Sri Ramasramam for example.  In the meditation hall [the Old Hall], there are hardly ten at any time. See the Samadhi Hall, where there are always more people, watching the puja, touching the arti and placing it on their eyes.  Doing parayana from 6.30 PM. etc.,
The bhakti practices should go hand in hand with self inquiry, because most of us are of moderate types and not mature souls.
Maturity should come through Sri Bhagavan's grace only.  That is why He said, play of grace is there....in Atma Vidya Kirtanam.

The bhakti practices also on maturity gets transformed into surrender of ego to that personal god or the Self.

Earlier I was chanting Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva within my lips whenever I was doing some work. This was of and on. Now it becomes more regular. And Arunachala Siva, whom I was seeing as an object, is now seen, at least intermittently in Heart. The mind is quelled. After all, the purpose of self inquiry is also to quell the mind and if this is achieved by ardent japa throughout the day [though I am still not able to do throughout the day], the same goal is reached.

During my visit to Asramam, I am able to spend only about 45 minutes or even less, inside the meditation hall and more time in
Samadhi Hall, because I am not yet adept in meditation of the Self within  my Heart.     

Arunachala Siva.