Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757281 times)

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #765 on: April 01, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »

----
Then somebody, at that satsang asked "Is there a possibility to bypass all the stages?" and Robert answered: "Yes. Certainly, like NOW. You just need to wake up NOW and stop playing these games".

[/quote

Dear Amiatall ji,

This statement is 100%. As Robert answered.... the mstake is in waking.. NOW.  Otherwise everyone would have WON.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 01, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »

Dear Ramanaduli,

Yes.  We are not eager to wake up, here and now.  Like school children, we say after 15 minutes, after 15 minutes, after 15 minutes..... Then by the time the waking up takes place the school bus might have gone!  We miss the bus.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 19, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
Mother he is and father too,
Apt for every kind of kinship,
Yes, apt and more than apt.
He is the womb from which are born
All moving things and things unmoving.
Dear child he is and cherished wealth,
Rich learning, wisdom ripe
Blessed by the mouths that daily chant
Vedic hymns to mighty Rudra.
He dwells in the mind’s eye
And the bright unbroken sky,
The Light of lights that shines within
The deep heart’s core.
Venkata,
All in One and One in all,
True seer in whom all truth is seen,
Merciful, liberal giver of grace
Miraculously strong to save, yes,
He is Mother and Father too.

Verse-943, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

Dear Devotees,

I returned back after completing 16 days trip to South India. I had been, by His Grace, in Sri Ramanasramam from the 7th April to 12th April. It is as if I did not come home but came away from Home. Sri Ramanasramam is His Grace embodied. There is no room for any doubt whatever about that.
This time, by His Grace, the room allotted was the vantage point, located Just in the immediate proximity to the Foot of Sri Arunachala (A-7), from where the Holiest Peak is always visible. However, I hardly stayed in the room in the day-time.  I spent almost all time sitting, meditating and weeping in the Samadhi Hall. His Grace enabled me to utilise some time laying banana leaves, placing glasses and pouring water before lunch and dinner every day during my stay in the Ashram. Overwhelmed with Grace and Gratitude, I performed Giripradakshina on the 10th April, starting after prostrating to Sri Bhagwan in the Samadhi Hall and Sri Arunachala from the door-way, having short Darshan of Lord Arunachala and the Mother in the Great Temple, and finally completing the Pradakshina of the Self ( Sri Arunachala ) after prostrating to Sri Bhgwan and Sri Arunachala, just as I started.

Dear devotees, one experienced calm, peace and bliss as soon as he or she entered the Old Hall when Sri Bhagwan was in body, and one experiences the same serenity now as one enters the Samadhi Hall when He is now bodiless. Sri Bhagwan is Here and Now. Thoughtless and intuitive experience of “I Am”, sitting in the Samadhi Hall, or the old Hall, or anywhere within the Ashram Precincts, makes one realize the true import of “I” for the time being. One then understands that this wretched little entity called ego is a mere phantom and ‘I am I’, EVER, whether one is aware or not.(Who is not aware ? It is mind, a mere fiction which is not aware.) Sri Bhagwan teaches, “ Cease desiring, wishing, worrying and just be”. One is ever THAT only. We are ever in Sri Bhagwan only. Where else we can be ? Yes, He is Father and Mother too.

Thank you,
    Anil     

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
Dear Sinha ji,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 19, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »

Dear Anil,

Very nice to read your experiences in the Asramam. It helps the sincere sadhakas to recharge their energy and reinforce their faith in Guru. I am happy you spent some 5 days there.  Did you go to Big Temple and also for giri pradakshina?  Could you buy some books, which you had earlier wanted to buy?

Thanks once again.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 20, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,
                              Pranam,

Ji. Yes. As I mentioned in my previous post, I performed Giripradakshina on the 10th April. I started bare-footed at about 6.0 A.M. after prostrating to Sri Bhagwan and Sri Arunachala and completed the circuit of the Self (Sri Arunachala) at about 9.30 A.M. When I start, I always have a wish to complete the pradakshina without attending to natural calls. It is a gracious miracle that I never felt any urge to attend to natural calls while performing pradakshina, not only on this occasion but on all previous occasions also. However, this is not to imply that when one feels pressure, he should repress it and forcibly not attend to the calls. This time I came to Sri Ramanasramam alone. On previous occasions, when I came with my wife, she attended to natural calls while performing pradakshina and I didn’t even advise her otherwise. However, she also on all occasions completed the circuit round Sri Arunachala bare-footed. I had brief Darshan also of Sri Arunachala and the Mother in the Great Temple during the pradakshina itself.

Dear sir, whenever I visit Sri Ramanasramam, I purchase books from the Book-Depot of the Ashram either on pure intuition or by reference to particular books suggested either by devotees or by the reference found in books that I studied.  On this occasion, I purchased following books:-

1.   Homage To The Presence Of Sri Ramana
(Sri Ramana sannidhi Murai, Tr. Prof. Sri K. Swaminathan)
(As referred and suggested by you)
2.   The Ribhu Gita
(With English translation, transliteration and original Sanskrit text)
(Tr. by Dr. Lingeshwara Rao and Dr. Anil Sharma)
I wished to read the original Sanskrit text of the Ribhu Gita and I learnt from you that the above book is available in the Ashram Book-depot. So I purchased this priceless scripture.

3.   Living By The Words Of Bhagwan
By Sri David Godman

4.   Ramana Maharshi
By Prof. Sri K. Swaminathan

5.   Sri Ramana Reminiscences
By Sri G.V. Subbaramayya

6.   Sri Ramanopadesa Noonmalai
Commentary by Sri Sadhu Om, tr. by Sri Michael James
(Once you mentioned about Sri James. Then I had not heard about him.)

7.   Hindi translation of ‘Who Am I ?’
Sometimes, some people in Bihar ask for Hindi version of this great work from me. So I purchased some four copies of the same.

I am a life-time member of the ‘Mountain Path’ but I had requested the Ashram not to send my copies by post. I collect my copies of the same when I visit the Ashram.

Dear sir, besides the above, I purchased some books on ‘how to learn Tamil’ in Bangalore. I have an ardent wish to read all Original Tamil Compositions of Sri Bhagwan in Tamil itself. For, in my view, Sri Bhagwan’s Tamil Compositions, particularly ‘ Sri Arunachala Aksharamanamalai’ and ‘Sri Arunachal Pancharatna’ are the best devotional songs ever composed in any language in any part of the world. Moreover, Ulladu Narpadu, the Scripture of the Atma-Vichara, was also originally composed by Sri Bhagwan in Tamil. Hence the strong urge to know the great language. Will you kindly suggest ways and means to learn it quickly?

Dear sir, I reached the Ashram on the 7th April and departed on the 12th April after taking breakfast.

Thank you so much sir for your kind appreciation.

Regards,
   Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 20, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
Doubt is not necessarily always a bad thing. It has a role to play. Knowledge of the worldly things, worldly activities and worldly existence are taken for granted. They need to be viewed with doubt. For instance, only when a rectangular table is viewed perpendicular to the plane of the surface of the table it appears rectangular. When viewed from other sides it may appear in different shapes, i.e. triangular, conical etc. What is the true shape of the table per se, shape in itself ? Similarly, the colour of an object is the colour in which it is viewed, or the colour of the background. What is the true colour of the object in itself ? So, what is the thing in itself, as it is ? Likewise, we take the viewer or the perceiver for granted. What is the true nature of the subject who perceives ? If the subject or the perceiver himself is not known or defective, how can he truly perceive the object or the phenomena as they truly are? So doubt the doubter. Isn’t it so?

Devotee: What is that one thing, knowing which all doubts are solved?

Sri Bhagwan : Know the doubter. If the doubter is held, the doubts will not arise. Here the doubter is transcendent. Again when the doubter ceases to exist, there will be no doubts arising. From where will they arise ? All are jnanis, jivanmuktas. Only they are not aware of the fact. Doubts must be uprooted. This means that the doubter must be uprooted. Here the doubter is the mind.

( Quoted from the Editorial of the current issue of the Mountain Path)

Therefore, if only the doubter is held and finally uprooted that one can get rid of the doubts. Otherwise, not. The honoured and the enlightened Editor comments that “we reach the point in discrimination when we begin to doubt the doubter”.  We then finally root out the doubter and then only we can remain fixed in the light of pure awareness. Therefore, he says that doubt, like the ancient adage of using a thorn to remove another thorn, helps us do away with the ego once and for all. In the Light of Pure Awareness, there is no shadow of doubt, for all is revealed as they truly are. The affectionate and pious Editor adds, “We need nothing, we ask for nothing. All is as it should be. We remain free in our heart and clear in our mind”.

Thank you,
    Anil             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 20, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »

Dear Anil,

I am happy to read about T'malai trip.  The guru is like a tiger.
Once he catches you in his jaws, you will not escape from being consumed. Reinforce your faith on Him and the rest will be taken care of. 

You have also bought good number of books.  All are treasures.
Regarding Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai, the translation of Prof. K.
Swaminathan covers only  some songs. The complete translation
is not available.  However, David Godman has done Ramana Puranam, the first one in Sannidhi Murai and then the Upadesa
Tiruvahaval in English.  While the former is available as a book and the latter came as an article in Mountain Path, a few years ago.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 20, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan answered all the genuine doubts of ardent seekers.
He used to patiently explain the answers step by step.  Only when
some one expresses a doubt for the sake of doubt, and for debating
purposes, He would simply say: "Who is the one, who is asking this question?  Who is doubting?  See the doubter.  Doubt the doubter."
It is the ego, which is a phantom existence, raises such questions.
Sri Bhagavan never entertained such questions.  He would either keep silent or ask them as to who is the doubter.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 22, 2011, 09:55:03 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

“Reinforce your faith on Him and the rest will be taken care of.”
Ji. Yes. Thank you so much for imparting the above words of wisdom. Just before reading re-802 posted by you, I had been reading the following verse :

On those who seek and reach
Your Presence, still, silent, speechless,
You bestow daily by one bright glance
Your grace. On me too fell
Your glance ! Of whom but you,
O Lord, can I now think ?
                                   Verse-581, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai, Tr. Prof. K. Swaminathan

I feel that the above verse portrays my present predicament aptly. Of whom but only Him now I can think.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan has said that mind is like the moon which is itself lighted by the sun and by the reflection of the same light of the sun lights the world. But this light being a mere reflection lights the world only feebly. In this feeble reflected light of the moon, thieves, robbers, ghosts , spirits and all sorts of negative elements cause havoc and have the perfect environment to create confusion and doubt and taking advantage of these , they do as they wish. Likewise, the mind itself being insentient is lighted by the light of the Self. However, this light of the mind being merely a feeble and weak reflection of the Self, nothing can be viewed with clarity. Everything is topsy-turvy, every knowledge is relative and therefore doubtful. No existence is certain. Negative mental and psychological forces are ever on the look-out to plot our doom. I never know what is going to become of me next moment. Mind is always full of doubts and confusion. With little scrutiny, lo, the doubter himself is under doubt.

When the sun rises, there is no doubt, no confusion, everything is crystal clear. Sri Bhagwan says that the Self-Realization is akin to the rising of the sun. “Aruno Bhava, chint kanch suvikasay.” There is no doubt, no confusion in the Self. There is no doubter or the thinker either. He is uprooted- root and branch and all. Sri Bhagwan says, ‘Know the doubter, if the doubter is held doubts will not arise.’ When the doubter ceases to exist, wherefrom and for whom the doubts will arise ?

Sri Bhagwan says that so long as the doubter is there, a doubt arises and is cleared; another doubt arises and that is cleared, making way for yet another , yet another and so on. There is no possibility of clearing away all doubts. Therefore,

“ See to whom the doubts arise. Go to their source and abide in it. Then they cease to arise.That is how doubts are to be cleared. Atma samstham manah krtva na kinchidapi chintayet.”
                                                                    Sri Bhagwan

Regards,
   Anil           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52:14 AM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan says that mind/ego is a ghost.  Ahandhai Pey.  The
ghost will always come in night.  No one has seen the ghost at broad
daylight.  People have seen ghost only at night, with white dress [!]
and it calls you, Come, Come.  This ghost disappears at sunrise.
No one has reported seeing ghost in the day time, standing on a bus
stand!

So is the mind/ego.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 22, 2011, 03:12:31 PM »
Dear Sri Subramamanian Sir,

This is exactly what I meant to say. The ghost comes only when the night falls, when the light available is only the feeble, borrowed and reflected light from the moon. The ghost and all such mischief makers take to flight in broad day-light. Simply they do not exist when the sun is blazing. All doubts like a rope appearing to be snake or the post mistaken to be a thief etc. occur only in the dim light or the shadowy light of the moon. Even this dim light is not the own light of the moon but it is also verily the sun-light only. So also with the mind/ego ghost. In the absence of the direct light from the Self, the mind/ego ghost creates all sorts of troubles, creates all sorts of doubts and confusion, for the light available is dim, shadowy. This dim light is also not the own light of the ego or the mind, but verily the light of the Self reflected from the vasanas in the seed form. When Ralization happens, the mind/ego ghost himself takes to flight. In the Blazing Light of the Self, mind/ego itself is consumed. So where from and for whom the doubts will arise ?

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
   Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 23, 2011, 10:21:45 AM »
The simile of the moon is apt to understand the mind. So is the akasa. The moon does not have the light of its own. When the sun rises, the moon is still visible in the firmament-faintly, shadowy, feebly and insignificantly. Its light is then not required. When the sun itself is bathing everything with its blazing light, who cares for the light of the moon ? Mind is akin to the moon. When the Self Itself is directly bathing everything with the Pure Awareness and Knowledge, where is the need for the thought-tainted and reflected awareness of the mind ?

“ Never mind the mind.” Nature of the mind is to wander.But I am not the mind. Am I the mind ? Sri Bhagwan says that the mind springs up and sinks down. Therefore, the mind is impermanent and transitory whereas I am Eternal Self. So, I exist even without the mind as in deep sleep. THE GREAT TRUTH IS THAT THERE IS NOTHING BUT  “ I AM”. INHERENCE IN IT IS THE THING. So Sri Bhagwan says ‘never mind the mind’. If its source is sought, it will vanish leaving the Self unaffected. We must always remember that the mind, body and the world are not apart from the Self. How can they be apart when only ‘I AM”, the Self ? Therefore, why worry about these shadows ? Sri Bhagwan says that after realization of your Swarupa, or the Self, or the “ I Am”, these shadows will not affect you.

The above again may lead to confusion between the pure sattva and impure rajasic and tamasic mind. Therefore, it again requires a little elaboration here. Mind as we know it is only the rajasic and tamasic aspects of the mind. Mind as the power of the Self or Brahman i.e. as Shakti is something mysterious ( Talk-485). In its Sattva aspect it is pure and uncontaminated with thoughts  and therefore it is verily the Self. Pure mind is akin to ‘AKASA’. Just as there are objects in the Akasa, there are thoughts in the mind. It is crystal-clear. The akasa is the counterpart of the mind and objects in the akasa are the counterpoint of the thoughts in the mind.

When I am BE-ing only, there is no question of either knowledge or ignorance in this State. A Sage is mere Being. When one talks of Jnana, Pure Mind in Him is surmised, for Knowledge pertains only to the Mind, Pure Mind in case of Pure knowledge, for Brahman can be apprehended only with the Pure mind. But, nevertheless, a Realized Sage is not concerned with all these things.  HE IS AS EXISTENCE ITSELF IS—SACHIDANANDA. The above elaboration is for us, so long as we feel that we are not realized and are therefore ajnanis.

Thank you,
   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 23, 2011, 11:59:22 AM »

Dear Anil,

There are two ways of looking at a Jnani's life.

1. Already mano nasa has taken place and the Self is revealed.
Then, without mind, how does he speak, attend to daily chores,
write poems and talk to people?  Muruganar says that in the absence
of mind, it is the power of the Self within, which does all these.

2. The second view is that a Jnani has a pure mind, suddha manas.
This view is adopted by Saiva Siddhantis.  It is this pure mind, faultless and blemishless, which does not harbor any other thoughts but thought of the Self, does all the work of attending to daily chores, speaking, and writing poems and teachings.

Arunachala Siva.   

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 23, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »
well said Subramanian garu.