Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757829 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #735 on: March 25, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »

Dear Anil,

These four words Dheham, Naham, Koham, Soham, have got a
very emotional and painful story in the background.

Sri G.V. Subbaramiah, one of the early devotees of Sri Bhagavan once had brought his two young daughters to the Asramam.  They were Indira and Lalita. I think this must be in the year 1941,

Indira was very mischievous. She used to see the books in the
Almirah in the Old Hall, remove them, open some  books, and in the
process, she made them to fall down also.  One day, in the Telugu
Upadesa Saram book, she found these four letters written on the very first page. She read them aloud. Sri Bhagavan said:  Oh, Indira,
all that you have read is the essence of all knowledge.  Keep this as mantra.  So Indira used to repeat these four words often and Sri Bhagavan used to appreciate her.

After some days, the father and two daughters left for their home in Andhra Pradesh.

Around April 1943, Indira fell seriously sick.  All through the months from 1941, she was chanting Dheham, Naham, Koham, Soham very
frequently.  During sickness too, she was chanting these mantras.
She soon developed small pox and finally merged with Sri Bhagavan
on 13th April 1943, which was incidentally Sri Rama Navami day!

It is told that G.V. Subbaramiah constructed a small samadhi over
the place, where girl Indira was buried and wrote down Dheham, Naham,  Koham and Soham.

Arunachala Siva.   

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 25, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
Dear sir,

How some people like Indhira were so lucky to have Deeksha from Bhagavan directly while He was in physical form by His mouth, by His dhrishti by some upadesam and by silence.
We are blessed by His written works and also coming genarations too.

Ramanaduli

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »
Dear Sri ramanaduli,

It is His prerogative. His prey was chosen, while He was in the body, is being chosen and will be chosen, while He is bodiless, ‘now’, by Him. Who, why, and how, He alone knows. It remains a mystery. Even while He was in the body, sitting in the Old Hall, bestowing Grace and radiating Jnana, not all the inmates of Sri Ramanasramam were equally fortunate. Not all of them were fortunate enough to have Sri Bhagwan, by their side, keeping His Hand on their right chest  when they were on their death-bed. Was not the Mother Cow Lakshmi chosen one on whom He unreservedly bestowed Grace and Jnana ? To add, how many of His devotees in those days and now have the same steady wisdom and steadfast devotion as the Great Mother Cow Lakshmi’s ? All  these are unthinkable.

All we can do is to follow the Teaching as taught by Him with utmost devotion to His Feet, with perseverance, and await His Grace and Pleasure.

Thank you so much sir.
Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 26, 2011, 10:47:49 AM »
Devotee : If I go on rejecting thoughts can I call it Vichara ?
Sri Bhagwan : It may be a stepping stone. But really Vichara begins when you cling to your Self and are already off mental movement, the thought-waves.
                                                                                   From Sat-Darshana Bhashya and Talks with Maharshi

Devotee: Surrender is impossible.
Sri Bhagwan : Yes. Complete surrender is impossible in the beginning. Partial surrender is certainly possible for all. In course of time that will lead to complete surrender.
                                                                                                                                 Talk-244

Well. That is how it is. From the above two Statements of Sri Bhagwan, it is obvious that neither Vichara can be at once true, nor surrender at once complete. Warding off, or rejecting the thoughts is the stepping stone for true Vichara in which one abides in the Self, free of thoughts. Similarly, partial surrender , if practiced with growing love and devotion for the Feet of the Sadguru, is certain to lead to the complete surrender in which “I” and “mine” are finally offered to His Feet rather than  this and that possessions. He is, then, swallowed up by Grace and no part is left to ask for Grace. No part is left to care for one’s near and dear ones.

Thank you,
   Anil           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 26, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »
“ Offer the self to the Lord”, they say. Then whose else is it but His already ? Therefore, it is one’s duty to repent for having stolen His possession  [ as ‘I’ and ‘mine’ ] and to restore it back to His Lotus Feet.
                                                                    V. 480, GVK, tr. Sri Sadhu Om

This is a very beautiful poetry, indeed, representing, sublimely, Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching.

Sri Muruganar : “Those who say ‘we should surrender ourselves to the Lord’ do not have an accurate insight into devotion. Self-surrender would become an endeavour ( tapas ) only if there was a separate freedom for the jiva to do; is it not so ? But since the so-called jivatma is ever the possession of the Lord, having no freedom of his own, his foremost duty is that being ashamed of his act of stealing by rising as an independent entity, ‘I’, he should merge back into Him once for all and should become non-existent.”

Lord is the Seer of our mind and heart. Pretension will not do. Sri Bhagwan asks,” Doesn’t He Know ?”

There will be no cause for fear for one whose mind abides by the will of the Lord praying, “ O Lord, let nothing happen according to my wish; let only Thy will be done.
                                                                     V. 481, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

And now a Grand Fusion of Bhakti and Vichara :

Not giving the least room in one’s heart—which is having a great love towards attending towards Self, the true form of God—to any thought raised by vasanas is the right way of offering oneself to the Lord.
                                                                        V. 482, GVK, TR. Sri Sadhu Om

Sri Sadhu Om comments that “Giving no room at all to the rising of thoughts other than the thought of the Self is Self-attention and being firmly established in the Self is surrendering oneself to the Lord”.

Thank you,
    Anil             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 26, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »

Dear Ramanaduli, Anil,

Sri Bhagavan's diksha varied from person to person.  He just gave the
three words to the child Indira.  There was one Tinnai Swami.  Tinnai
means masonry bench, on the front verandah of a house.  There
Sri Tinnai Swami was sitting for 54 years, i.e up to 2003!  He went
with his family and children to Sri Bhagavan, three or four times.  Once when he went [his family was not there with him at that time], and after having darshan of Sri Bhagavan, he asked for permission to get back.  Sri Bhagavan who never says anything to anyone who were leaving [for a few He had told, to go next day and like that], said to
Sri Tinnai Swami, "Iru" [Iru means in Tamizh Be or Stay].  Sri Tinnai Swami took this one word as upadesa and stayed back in Tiruvannamalai for 54 years.  He merged with Sri Bhagavan at a ripe age of 91!   

There are some horripillating incidents in the lives of devotees.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 26, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »
Dear Subramanian ji,

Thank you for the reply. Can you write those stories of Devotees, please. I think most of us get pleasure and learn something from their stories how much they were drawn to Bhagavan. How they overcame their difficulties in their sadhanas.

Ramanaduli

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 27, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Initiation varied from person to person.  Almost everyone who came to Sri Bhagwan wished to receive some Upadesa or Initiation from Him. It has been a customary practice to get a ‘formal initiation’ from a Jnana Guru in the form of Sacred Syllables, or Mantras. It is well known that Sri Bhagwan did not approve of such ‘formal initiation’. Sri Bhagwan has said that Guru observes some rites with fire, water, etc. and utters some mantras and calls such fantastic performances initiation or dikshas, as if the disciples become ripe only after such processes are gone through by the Guru.

Sri Bhagwan has said that Guru’s work proceeds within which may not be immediately apparent. Our Jnana Guru is the Self who is revealing our own truth as the Existence-Consciousness, as ‘I am’, ‘I am’. So, Sri Bhagwan says that Divine Upadesa is natural to everyone and is always going on. Seeking outside Upadesa in the form of Mantras or sacred syllables will only be mental conceptions. When a sincere devotee comes to Sri Bhagwan, His granting of true knowledge ( a peep into Jnana) is the normal form of initiation by Him. This was the normal practice when He was in the body, and this is the normal method now, when He is bodiless Self of all today. There is no doubt about that. Many devotees who came to Sri Bhagwan in the past and those who are earnestly coming now have narrated their experiences and from their narration it is obvious that all have had initiation, in most cases, inexplicable. 

However, this being the normal method of initiation by Sri Bhagwan, there are exceptions as you mentioned in the case of little Indira. Child Indira was given ‘naham’, ‘koham’, ‘soham’; to  Sri Tiinnai Swami Sri Bhagwan said, “Iru”; another devotee was asked to chant ‘Shiva’,’ Shiva. There are some other noted examples as well. Sri Bhagwan has said that Guru’s Grace is unthinkable.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
   Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 27, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
Sri Bhagwan has no Sankalpa, no intention , no will. Sri Bhagwan, other Jnanis and Srimad Bhagavad Gita hold that Jnanis have no sankalpa. In the Self-realized State, The Self Itself makes the body behave, say,or act,  according to the needs and as ordained. No choice or intention can be assigned to Jnani for those actions or the words. They are involuntary.

In the book,  ‘The Power of the Presence ‘, a very illuminating discussion that Sri Narayana Iyer had with Sri Bhagwan on this topic has been included that gives a rare and an extraordinary insight into the way a Jnani’s Power is activated. When Sri Iyer was dejected, He asked from Sri Bhagwan whether the sankalpa of a Jnani  is not capable of warding off the destinies of the devotees, Sri Bhagwan replied thus :

Sri Bhagwan : Does the Jnani have a sankalpa at all ? The Jivanmukta [liberated being] can have no sankalpa whatsoever. It is just impossible.

“Then what is the fate of all of us who pray to you to have Grace on us and save us ?”, asked Sri Iyer and continued, ”Will we not be benefitted or saved by sitting in front of you, or by coming to you ?”

It is in reply to the above question of Sri Iyer that Sri Bhagwan revealed a great secret that gives an extraordinary insight into the way a Jnani’s Power functions when something is brought to the notice of a Jnani. Sri Iyer himself has narrated thus :

Sri Bhagwan turned graciously to me and said: “ ….. a person’s bad karma will be considerably reduced while he is in the presence of a jnani. A jnani has no sankalpa but his sannidhi [presence] is the most powerful force. He need not have sankalpa, but his presiding presence, most powerful force, can do wonders: save souls, give peace of mind, even give liberation to ripe souls. Your prayers are not answered by him but absorbed by his presence. His presence saves you, wards off the karmaand gives you the boons as the case may be, but involuntarily. The jnani does save the devotees, but not by sankalpa, which is non-existent in him, only through his presiding presence, his sannidhi.”
                                                                 Akhilandamma, The Power of the Presence
       [ This all-important reply of Sri Bhagwan to Sri Narayana Iyer  has been quoted in the book from  The Mountain Path 1968, p. 236.]

I wish to add that His ‘Presiding Presence’ is palpable everywhere, every particle of Sri Ramanasramam is charged with His presence; besides, every sacred word that He has uttered, and the Power, Grace, Jnana and Bliss, all radiating from His Photographs; are there for all of us to experience that very Presiding Presence. Some devotees have observed that after His Mahanirvana, His Presence has become even more palpable to them. If one has love for Him in the Heart, He is there, all ready, to clear all doubts and all obstacles in their sadhana. The moment a problem is brought to His notice, its mitigation at once starts to happen.

Thank you,
    Anil                                                                                             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 27, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan's ULLadu NaRpadu, Supplement, Verse 4 describes this.

"Fever is over come by the cool light of the moon.  Want by the good
wish yielding tree, Kalpaga.  And the sin by the Holy Ganga.  Those
three, viz., fever, want and sin all flee at the august sight of the peerless Sage.

Dear Ramanaduli,

The story of Tinnai Swami and also of a lady who came from Gyana to have the darshan of / the Presence of Sri Bhagavan have been posted by me recently, in davidgodman's blogsite.  www.davidgodman.com

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 28, 2011, 10:11:06 AM »
Atma-Vichara is a complete sadhana. Sri Bhagwan Himself has compassionately elaborated its technique and given essential guidelines so that the seeker’s attention’s is  brought back effectively from the external objects to the subject himself and remains focussed and riveted to it.

Sri Bhagwan has said that Vichara should go on always in the waking state. When attention swerves away from it on account of worldly engagement, one should revert back to the Vichara as soon as attention is redrawn to it. Problem arises in the beginning when one sits for enquiring into the true nature of ‘I’ during the time ( half an hour or so) specially allotted for it. Innumerable thoughts intrude and eats away the allotted time. Sri Bhagwan says in “Who am I ?” that the thought ‘Who am I ?’ will destroy all other thoughts, and like the stick used for stirring the burning pyre, it will itself in the end get destroyed. Sri Bhagwan says that when other thoughts arise, one should not pursue them but instead should enquire ‘To whom do they arise ?’ As each thought arises, one should enquire with diligence, ‘To whom has this thought arisen ?’ To me ? Thereupon if one inquires,’Who am I ?’, the mind will go back to its source and the thought that arose will become quiescent.

From the questions put to Sri Bhagwan, it is obvious that many seekers were puzzled; for undesirable thoughts would rush and they were done in by the sheer numerical strength of the thoughts. Most of us fear that the process would be endless.

But, nevertheless, as I said, the Atma-Vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is a complete sadhana.  Sri Bhagwan has also suggested  a shot-cut, an alternative technique by means of which one can bypass rhe double questioning, ‘To whom ?’, and ‘Who am I ?’ Only if we can do it, that is. He hs explained that holding the ‘I’-thought would ward off the other thought more effectively. In addition to warding of the unwanted other thoughts, this technique also has the advantage of dealing only with the single thought that is also the core thought and the root of all thoughts. This, in my view, is the reason why Sri Bhagwan over and over again emphasises to hold on to the ‘I’-thought alone. If only we can do that !

Devotee : You have often said that one must reject other thoughts when he begins the quest, but the thoughts are endless; if one thought is rejected, another comes. There seems to be no end at all.
Sri Bhagwan : I do not say that you must go on rejecting thoughts. If you cling to yourself, the ‘I’-thought and when your interest keeps you on the single idea, other thoughts get rejected. Automatically they vanish.

So, we need not necessarily prevents other thoughts. Sri Bhagwan says that the easiest thing to do is to catch hold of the leading ‘I’-thought.

I need not say, we all are aware what would happen if attention is always on the ‘I’- thought. It will go on becoming clearer and clearer for deeper and deeper Vichara, detaching itself gradually from myriad undesirable thoughts. This intense and profound attention the ‘I’-thought is certain to merge it in the Absolute Consciousness of the Self.

Thank you,
   Anil                             

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 28, 2011, 10:12:23 AM »
Self-inquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is a complete sadhana. Sri Bhagwan has time and again also stressed that moderation in food, sleep and speech are aids in Inquiry.

Devotee : Are there any aids to (1) concentration (2) casting off distractions ?
Sri Bhagwan : Physically the digestive and other organs are kept free from irritation. Therefore food is regulated both in quantity and quality. Non-irritants are eaten, avoiding chillies, excess salt, onions, wine, opium. etc. Avoid constipation, drowsiness and excitement, and all foods which induce them.
                                                                           Talk—28

Therefore, if the seeker is really earnest, he should eschew those foods that induce constipation, drowsiness and excitement. Physical factors which cause the mind to be agitated must also be checked. Dear devotees and seekers, Atma-Vichara is too important to pursue it casually. Sri Bhagwan has said that our effort is sine qua non for the Guru’s Grace to be effective. Therefore, no effort advised by the Guru should be spared. Moderation in food, as suggested above by Sri Bhagwan, is a great aid. This, I also tell you from my own experience. Do it and see the result for yourself. Your own experience in this regard will be a great guide.

Thank you,
   Anil       

amiatall

« Reply #747 on: March 28, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
Dear eranilkumarsinha,

If inquiry is practiced, then everything else takes care of itself including food, sleep etc. For example, I have never regulated or asked any change in my food "menu", but it just regulated itself: years passed and I suddenly noticed that meat was gone, chilly food was gone etc.

The only real and actual effort needed is to turn within. Forget about anything else, it is just distractions.
Notice how Bhagavan always gave self-inquiry, but only after some complaints He would give something else like "regulate food" or "speak mantra", it was in order to gather the mind at one place, because it looks like a split mirror with many particles. The non-split mind grasps inquiry at once and pursues it.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 28, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

Dear amiatall, Anil,

Yes. One need not forcibly avoid meat and other things or regulate the food habits.  Then even that would become an obsessive thought.
Similarly one cannot with a vengeance attack the other thoughts.
Keep the I-thought and pursue self inquiry. Or keep the ego and pursue self surrender.  The I-thought and the ego will become thin
and disappear one day.  So also the food habits, will regulate themselves of their own, once you pursue self inquiry.  Arthur Osborne took several years to leave the meat and fish.  But Chadwick was a vegetarian from day one.  So the practices differ.
But self inquiry will take care of all these, in course of time, if pursued vigorously.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 28, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri amiatall,

Yes. One need not forcibly shun non-vegetarian and spicy foods, nor one need forcibly regulate the dietary regime. As both of you have maintained, I also with firm belief hold that Atma-Vicara is itself capable of regulating everything on its own. What Sri Bhagwan by His reply (re-776) means is that moderation in food is an aid in sadhana. As far as I know He never advised any devotee to forcibly change his food regime. When a devotee complained to Him that an another devotee eats meat, He is said to have remarked that he would himself feel aversion to meat etc. with time. However, it is true that time and again He underlined the importance of moderation in food as an aid in sadhana. " Therefore take moderate food and go on practicing." ( Talk-170 ) we can ourselves understand the value of moderation in food in a spiritual sadhana.

It is also well known that Sri Bhagwan did not approve breath regulation, but all the same, He enumerated Prayanama as an aid and said that if one is not able to internalise, prayanama can be taken up as an aid.

Therefore, my submission is this that  one should willingly and not forcibly observe moderation in food as an aid in sadhana. If one cannot, Atma-Vichara is itself capable of doing it in time, as you said Sri Osborne took a long time before he could shun eating meat etc.       

Thank you so much.

Regards,
    Anil