Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758404 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #720 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:03 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Sri Bhagwan is the Self. The context of the composition of the Upadesa Saram is enough to understand that all Thirty Verses of the Upadesa Saram were revealed by Him as Lord Shiva, the Supreme Lord and the Self. So, As the Self Sri Bhagwan speaks through these Sublime Verses of the Great Scripture. Sri Shankaranarayana, in Bhagwan and Nayana, comments that all these Verses composed by Sri Bhagwan are elegant, flawless, perfect in all respects, conforming to the canons of Sanskrit poetry. Each and every verse of the Upadesa Saram is inspiring to me and I cannot rate one higher than the other. Therefore, each and every Verse of the Scripture is a priceless gem for me.

The Verse-10 of the Upadesa Saram emphasises the essential truth that all Paths in the end lead to the absorption of the mind in the Self, thus freeing the individual from the tyranny of the mind and its myriad thoughts.

Hrt-sthale manah-svasthata kriya
Bhakti-yoga-bodhasca niscitam
                                                    V. 10, Upadesa Saram

Hrt-sthalle—At eh Hear
Manah-svasthata—the mind fixed in the Self
kriya—(is) the best action
bhakti-yoga-bodhasca—That is Bhakti, Yoga and Jnana
niscitam—( This is )  certain.

Therefore, the Verse can be written as follows :
“At the sacred place, the Heart, the mind being established in the Self is the best action. That is Bhakti, Yoga and Jnana. This is certain.”

So whatever Path adopted by a seeker, in the end it all amounts to the merging of the mind in the Self. This is the best of all actions whatsoever. So, it also amounts to the great truth that whatever the Path, absorption of the mind in the Self is the goal.

In ‘Sri Maharshi’s Way’, below the V. 10, a conversation between Sri Bhagwan and Sri Devaraja Mudaliar has been included which is as follows :

What is the heart referred to ( In V.10) ?
Sri Bhagwan : That which is the Source of all, That in which all live, and That into which finally all merge, is the Heart referred to.

From the above replies and other Statements of Sri Bhagwan, What I have understood about the ‘Heart’ is as following :
The Supreme Consciousness of the Self is indivisible. It does not admit of divisions. There is simply no inside or outside, nor left and right, and nor up and down, for the Self. Therefore, no physical location in the body can be assigned for it. So, it amounts to coming down to our level, out of compassion for us, that a physical location for the ‘Heart’ has been assigned by Sri Bhagwan in the body. (To continue in the next post )

Thank you so much sir.
Regards,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 22, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
So, what happens when the mind is fixed in the Heart or the Self ? Mind becomes extinct. And a very beautiful translation of the Verse-15 of the Upadesa Saram reveals what happens when the mind of the Yogi is thus extict.

‘Mind extinct, the mighty seer
Returns to his own natural being
And has no action to perform.
                                               V. 15, Upadesa Saram

The Same truth has been revealed in V. 31 of the ULLadu Narpadu also :
“ For one who, having destroyed the ego, is awake to the nature of the self which is bliss, what is there to be accomplished ? Other than the self , he is not aware of anything. How can his state can be comprehended ?”
                                                   V. 31, ULLadu Narpadu

JIva, in truth, is the mighty seer. Bundle of thoughts in his mind only is not allowing him to experience himself as the mighty seer and languishes in the prison of the body as the limited, ignorant and insignificant jiva. So, mind extinct, the Mighty Seer returns to His Own Natural Being, i.e. Existence, Consciousness and Bliss. So, for One who is One with the Nectar-like Bliss of the Self, nothing, whatsoever, remains to be accomplished. And His State will be incomprehensible to those who have not effected ‘drsya-varitam.

Thank you,
     Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:01 AM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan also says the same thing in two verses of Sri
Arunachala Aksharamana Maalai.

Verse 48:  To you as my only God, I came, O Arunachala.  It ends as advaita jnana, the ending of the separate ego, and survival as the sole reality, God.   

Verse 50:  Boldly seeking your true Self, I am shipwrecked, ruined.
Have mercy one me, O Arunachala.

Here, it indicates that the ego is shipwrecked and ruined.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 23, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »
We all are enchanted with the ‘I am the body’ idea. But even with a little introspection one can reach the irreversible conclusion that this block of a body cannot be ‘I’.

“ The body is like an earthen pot, inert. Because it has no consciousness of ‘I’, and because daily in bodiless sleep we touch our real nature, the body is not ‘I’.Then who is this ‘I’ ?Where is this ‘I’ ? In the Heart-cave of those that question thus, there shines forth as ‘I’, Himself, the Lord Siva of Arunachala.”
                                                                V. 10, Reality in Forty Verses: Supplement
(Sri Bhagwan originally composed this Verse in Sanskrit and the later translated it into Tamil.)
In bodiless sleep we touch our real nature’ We are’. In bodiless sleep, the body is not, nevertheless, ‘I am’. Therefore, this inert earthen pot cannot be ‘I’. Can it ever be ? Never. That is the truth. Then who is this ‘I’ ? Then what is it which is real ‘I’? Where does the real ‘I’ live ? In the Heart-cave of those that question thus, the Lord Shiva of Sri Arunachala, Himself, shines as ‘I’.

“Who is born ? It is only he who asks ‘Whence am I born ?’ that is truly born in Brahman, the Prime Source. He indeed is born eternally ; he is the lord of saints; he is the ever-new.”
                                                                      V. 11, Reality in Forty Verses: Supplement
                                                                   (Composed on the Occasion of Sri Bhagwan’s jayanti (birthday))
True ‘I’ is not born. Then who says I am born ? What is the ‘I’ that is born ? Wherefrom this pseudo ‘I’ does come ? Such enquiry is bound to lead us to true birth in Brahman. Paradoxically, this is the Birth that is beyond birth and death. He is born eternally, without beginning and end both in space and time. He is ever-new.

Thank you,
   Anil                                   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:47 AM »
“ That indeed is the essential Heart and in it all this world abides. It is  the mirror in which all things are seen. It is the source of all wealth. Hence Awareness may be termed the Heart of all beings. The Heart is not a part of the perishable body inert like a stone.”
                                                                                             V. 23, Forty Verses in Reality, Supplement

The Heart is of the form of Pure Awareness. The Verse reveals that ‘Heart’ is the Mirror which reflects all things as well as all things abide in It. Therefore It is the Awareness alone that is the Heart of all things. Unlike the physical body, the Spiritual Heart is not the part of the perishable body which is inert like a stone. Shake off this earthen pot and one is Awareness.

‘I’ is the most intimate thing, more intimate, in fact, than any other thing to all of us. Isn’t it ? But we take this all encompassing ‘I’ to be ego and identify with the body and the world due to tendencies of the mind as well as the breath.  So, the next Verse, i.e. V. 24, says that by practice of merging the ego in the Pure Heart which is Awareness, the tendencies of the mind as well as the breath can be subdued. Here I wish to say that of all the practices so far enunciated and enjoined, the Self-Inquiry   is the best practice of merging the ego in the Pure Awareness. There is no doubt about that.

Thank you,
   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 23, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. The Verse 8 of ULLadu Narpadu, Supplement, is the Heart-sutra of Sri Bhagavan.  This was written in Sanskrit [it also finds a place in
Sri Ramana Gita], and then translated into Tamizh.

In the center of the Heart-Cave there shines alone the one Brahman,
as the "I-I" the Atman. Reach the Heart by diving deep in quest of the Self, or by controlling the mind with  breath, and stay established in the Atman.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 23, 2011, 01:34:42 PM »

Verse-8, Reality in Forty Verses: Supplement, is the famous Verse 'Hriday kuhara madhye....  ' which has been included as the Verse-4 in the Ramana Gita. In the Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi, it is mentioned that Verse-10 was also composed by Sri Bhagwan, first in Sanskrit and then later was translated by Him into Tamil. I wish to read the original Sanskrit version of this Verse. Where it is to be found? If you have information about it, kindly give me. This, I feel, is important for me. Thank you so much sir.

Regards,

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 23, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »

Dear Anil,

Sat Darsanam [Sanskrit] has been published with commentary of
Kapali Sastri, and this book is available in Asramam book dept. This
is titled Sat Darsana Bhashya and Talks with Maharshi, [the talks that
Kapali Sastri had with Sri Bhagavan.].

As regards Supplement, I am not sure whether only a Sanskrit version with or without commentary is available. There is one book by Lakshmana Sarma, WHO that gives commentary under both Tamizh and Sanskrit versions. But here, the Sanskrit verses are given in Sanskrit-transliteration in Tamizh and not in original Sanskrit verses.  You may kindly check up with Asramam for the original Sanskrit version, with or without commentary of the Supplement.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 24, 2011, 09:20:47 AM »

Only a few verses contained in the Reality in Forty Verses: Supplement, have been composed by Sri Bhagwan, either in Tamil or in Sanskrit, and most of the Verses in it have been  selected from different sources. I wish to read those Verses which were originally composed by Sri Bhagwan in Sanskrit. I shall try to find out whenever I next visit Sri Bhagwan’s Shrine.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
   Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 24, 2011, 09:22:14 AM »
Without us there is no time or space. If we are only bodies, we are caught up in time and space. But are we bodies ? Now, then and always—here, now and everywhere—we are the same. We exist, timeless and spaceless we are.
                                                                   V. 16, Reality in Forty Verses

There is no space, and there is no time, without me. No where in space I am to be found. Time is the name of the movement. I am solid, conscious Stillness. Therefore, in time I am not. Yet, I am everywhere, in everything, in all time always, nay, they (time and space) are in me.

So, space and time exist only with reference to the ego ‘I’-thought. If there is no ‘I’-thought, as in deep sleep, there is no space and time. Nature of Shakti (Power) inherent in Shiva (Consciousness) is to assume a diverse and manifold forms and existence. Movement and extension is innate with the Power inherent in the Consciousness. So, when the Consciousness of the Self manifests mind, its natural propensity for extension and movement assumes the forms of the space and time. That is it. Isn’t it ? But the mind and its progeny, time and space are never apart from the Self. They are rather like the Sun (the Self) and its rays ( mind, space and time all manifold existence).

So, ‘returning to us’ who are responsible for the false manifestation of the space and time, I must say that this ‘us’ is itself a thought and is therefore mental. We, as we truly are, are transcendent to the mind and its false manifestation of forms and et all.

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 24, 2011, 09:25:27 AM »
To see God and not the Self that sees is only to see a projection of the mind. It is said that God is seen by him alone who sees the Self; but one who has lost the ego and seen the Self is none other than God.
                                                         V. 20, Reality in Forty Verses

When scriptures speak of ‘seeing the Self’ and ‘seeing God’ , what is the truth they mean ? How to see the Self ? As the Self is one without a second, it is impossible to see it. How to see God ? To see Him is to be consumed by Him.
                                                            V. 21, Reality in Forty Verses.

“ See That who sees.”  To see God and not the Self is akin to seeing God  and not seeing the seer. So, certainly this seeing is seeing with the pseudo mind. Seeing God, without seeing the Self which sees things and forms outside, and not Itself within, is to see a mere mind created form or figure of God. Ego merging in the Self is seeing the Self as well as seeing God. Therefore, it is self-evident that the Self and God cannot be seen by the borrowed light of the Consciousness of the Self that is the mind. The Self sees Itself and God by Itself.  This is the Direct Knwledge. This is the meaning and implication of the often repeated saying, ‘Becoming food unto Him is to be Him and that indeed is seeing God’.

Ego merged in the Self is to be the Self who is none other than God Himself.

Thank you,
   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 24, 2011, 01:00:54 PM »

Dear Anil,

I checked up in one of the Asramam publications [basically in Tamizh]
with commentaries of Lakshmana Sarma {WHO} on both ULLadu Narpadu and ULLadu Narpadu [supplment].  Here in this book, under
Supplement, the original Sanskrit verses of Sri Bhagavan have been given in Sanskrit.  And also for other verses, the source is also given,
along with Sanskrit original.  One or two Kannada originals have been
given in transliterated Tamizh.

Benedictory Verse - original Sanskrit.  - Yoga Vasishtam.

Verse 1 - Bhaja Govindam - Sanskrit.

Verse 2 - Sanskrit - source not given.

Verse 3 - Sanskrit - source not given.

Verse 4: Sanskrit - Subhashita Ratna Bhandara.

Verse 5: Sanskrit - Srimad Bhagavatam.

Verse 6: Sanskrit - source Prasnottara ratna malika.

Verse 7: Sanskrit - Vivekachoodamani.  Ekasloki.

Verse 8: Sanskrit - original by Sri Bhagavan - Muktatrayam.

Verses 9 and 25: Sanskrit - Devi Kalottaram.

Verse 10: Sanskrit - by Sri Bhagavan.

Verse 11: Sanskrit - by Lakshmana Sarma.

Verse 12: Sanskrit - Viveka Choodamani.

Verses 12 to 17 and 31,32,33,36 and 38 : Only in Tamizh by Sri
    Bhagavan.

Verses 18 and 19: Sanskrit Ashtanga Hridayam.

Verse 20 - Kannada - Prabhu Linga Leelai.

Verses: 21 to 24 and 26, 27, 29 and 30 - Sanskrit Yoga Vasishtam.

Verse 39: Sanskrit - Tattvopadesam.

Verses 2,3,4,6,28,34,37,40 - Sources not known.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 25, 2011, 07:49:17 AM »

Thank you so much for giving detailed information about the sources of all forty Verses contained in the ‘Reality in Forty Verses: Supplement’. So, in all, only 13 nos. Verses of the ‘Supplement ‘  were composed by  Sri Bhagwan, out of which only two nos. Verses, namely, V. 8 and V. 10 were originally composed in Sanskrit and 11 nos. Verses were composed in Tamil by Him. Rest of the 27 nos Verses were selected from different Sources, known or unknown.

However, the information that Sri L. Sarma’s (WHO) Commentary on ‘Supplement’ contain original Sanskrit Verses is a very useful information for me. I would certainly like to read this book and whenever I visit the Asramam, I shall look for this book in the Asramam’s Book-Depot.

Regards,
   Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 25, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
If we think we are the body, then to tell ourselves, ‘No, I am That’, is helpful to abide as That. Yet—since ever we abide as That—why should we always think , ‘I am That ?’ Does one ever think, ‘I am a man’ ?
                                                                                         V. 36, Reality in Forty Verses

The meditation ‘I am He’ is helpful for the one who thinks that the body is the self. So long as one is enchanted with the bodies—physical or subtle—it is indeed a great help to hold that, ‘No, ‘I’, the human being, am not the body, but ‘I’ am “He’, the Supreme Consciousness. Repeated negation  of the body idea and infatuation with it may act as an antidote, and therefore may be helpful in sadhana to some extent.  In the realized state, one is That. He need not assert that ‘I am He’. Doing so in the realized state is futile. A man is a man. He need not assert it. Doing so will only provoke laughter and invite ridicule. If one is not a man, saying so even umpteen times cannot make a being of other species a man. Only when there is doubt as to whether he is a man, or a bird, or a beast that such assertion that , no, I am a man is valid. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says that ‘I am He’ meditation is a help to some extent as far as it removes the erroneous idea that ‘I am this body or the mind’.

Mahavakyas such as ‘Soham’ ( I am He), ’Aham Brahmasmi’, ‘Sivoham’ ( I am Shiva) etc. are the Supreme Revealed Truth. A Realized Sage abides ever as That. And so mere chanting or repeated uttering of these Mahavakyas as sadhana is certainly not what Sri Bhagwan has taught us, His loving devotees.

Sri Bhagwan : “ I am Brahman “ is only a thought. Who says it ? Brahman itself does not say so. What need is there for it to say it ? Nor can the real ‘I’ say so. For ‘I’ always abides as Brahman. To be saying it is only a thought. Whose thought is it ? All thoughts are from the unreal ‘I’ i.e. the ‘I’-thought. Remain without thinking. ( Talk-202)

Brahman does not Say,’ I am Brahman’. So, to be saying so there must be a thinker whose thought it is that “ I am Brahman”. Sri Bhagwan reminds that all thoughts emanates from the unreal ‘I’. Therefore, if the source of the ‘I’-thought is found out by inquiry and ego  gets merged there, irrevocably, one abides as that.

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 25, 2011, 07:52:52 AM »
Although Guru Ramana taught various doctrines according to the level of understanding of those who came to Him, we heard from Him that ‘ajata’ alone is truly His own experience. Thus should you know.
                                                                                        V. 100, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

Ajata is the Supreme Knowledge (Higher than the Highest) that nothing whatsoever exists other than That Which Is. Neither God, nor the jivas, nor the world, ever comes into existence. “ That Which Is” ever exists as It Is, as ‘I Am’.

It is this same ajata that Sri Krishna revealed to Arjuna in an early Chapter (two) of the Gita, and know that it was only because of the latter’s bewilderment and inability to grasp the Truth, that other doctrines were then taught in the remaining sixteen chapters.
                                                                                             V. 102, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

Yes, Nasto vidyate bhavo ( Ch-2, v. !6) was revealed in Ch. 2 of the Srimad Bhagavad Gita.

“Arjuna, the man who knows this soul to be imperishable ; eternal and free from birth and decay—how and whom will he cause to be killed, how and whom will he kill ?”
                                                                                                 V. 21, Ch. 2, Srimad Bhaavad Gita

Any comment ?

Thank you,
    Anil