Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758334 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #690 on: March 15, 2011, 06:55:54 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you so much for narrating in brief the events of the fateful year 2004 when dreaded tsunami stuck India and Sri Lanka. It is overwhelming to learn that almost 3000 devotees of Sri Bhagwan came rushing to Sri Ramanasramam from Chennai and Pondicherry when their lives were threatened when the tragedy stuck. Where else His devotees could go ? Sri Ramanasramam is the Mother for His devotees.

Having said this, I wish to say that Sri Bhagwan has given us the infallible Atma-Vichara to rid ourselves from the miseries of the world. 

Devotee : Is there no way to escape from the miseries of the world ?
Sri Bhawan : There is only one way and that consists in not loosing sight of one's Self under any cicumstances.
                  To enquire " Who am I " is the only remedy for all the ills of the world. It is also perfect bliss.

Talk-532
Regards,

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 15, 2011, 08:53:25 AM »

Dear Anil,

From the point of view of an ardent seeker, the miseries and pleasures would not make any disturbance in him, because he is
trying to transcend the mind - which one causes both.

But most of us are not able to do away with these two easily, 
and that is why we are affected by them.

Muruganar says in Padaamalai:

Verse 2205:  The origin of the concepts of bondage and liberation,
is in the ego, the deception that is the cause of all the pairs
of opposites.  [dwandha buddhi].

Sri Bhagavan also says the same in ULLadu Narpadu, Verse 39.

Padamalai, Verse 548 again:

If bondage and liberation are creations of the mind, all the experiences and states manifested through suttarivu, [objective
consciousness], are likewise concepts.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 15, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »
We bow our heads to the Holy Ramana, the Ocean of Grace, the Infinite, Incommensurable, Unborn Primal Divinity, Guru of all Gurus, shining in the Hearts of all creatures as ‘I’.

Benedictory Verse, Sri  Ramanaparavidyopanishad

When a devotee prayed to Sri Bhagwan to cure Himself from the dreaded disease sarcoma which ravaged His body at the fag end of His earthly life, Sri Bhagwan is reported to have replied that there is no mind to wish to cure Himself. Yes. His mind is dead. He is Bhagwan, the very embodiment of Bliss and Grace. Ever happy and ever the Bestower of Grace. He no wish and desire.

He bestows His Grace and bounties unasked and unaware, like the mother who feeds her child unasked and unaware when the child is sleeping. He showers gifts asked and unasked. Yes, once a devotee is claimed, once He enters the life of a devotee, it does not matter how, He is ever available for protection as well as guidance. All one need do is to invoke His Presence. Lo, He is there watching you conveying the message of the sublime and wondrous inner life.  May His Glory and Grace spread in the eight corners of the world.

Thank you,
     Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 15, 2011, 10:21:21 AM »
This is the very nature of the mind, that it takes as real all that it creates, as is seen in day-dreaming, witnessing dramas, or listening to stories.
                                                                        V. 146, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad

Creation is not other than seeing; seeing and creating are one and the same process. Annihilation is only the cessation of seeing and nothing else; for the world comes to an end by the right awareness of Oneself.
                                                                           V. 147, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad

As it is settled that the world is mental, the world will be real if the mind were real; but if the mind is unreal, then the world also will be unreal. Hence it becomes needful to inquire whether the mind is real.
                                                                             V. 148, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad

When we witness dramas or listen to stories, they appear real as long as mind is riveted to them. As long as attention is focussed on them. But they are not real. Mind acts and reacts to the events unfolding in movies etc. as if they were real. Likewise with the empirical world and empirical phenomena with a difference that it sees what it creates. Seeing and creating are one and the same process and are simultaneous. There is no mind, no world, nothing in the deep sleep. On waking, mind rises and with it rises everything  else. It won’t do to say that others are witnessing the world while one is sleeping. On a little scrutiny, one can reach the conclusion that this argument does not stand when subjected to the test of reality. So, the great devotee and scholar Sri Sarma (WHO) says that it is settled that the world is mental. Therefore, the world can be real only when the mind is real. When the mind itself is unreal, how can the mental world be real ? So, in fact, it is of supreme importance to inquire whether the mind is real. In my view, this is the purpose of the life itself. Every other thing is of secondary importance.

Thank you,
   Anil                 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 15, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »

I do not mean to say that all of us at once can transcend the mind and remain unaffected and oblivious of the pain and pleasure. A seeker invariably encounters pain and pleasure on the Path. It is for the seeker to properly analyse them and move forward rather than allowing these emotions to overwhelm them and get derailed and distracted thus loosing the precious opportunity that has come to us by His Grace. Sri Bhagwan says that to inquire "Who am I ?" is the remedy for all the ills of the world. It is also perfect bliss, perfect happiness. Therefore, truth remains that there is no other way.

Thank you so much, sir, for citing relevant verses from the Padamalai.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 15, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »

Dear Anil,

If one cannot transcend the pains and pleasures, one can definitely
surrender to Sri Bhagavan, listing our miseries.

See this beautiful declarations of Sri Bhagavan in Padamalai:

Verse 2031:  Padam [Sri Bhagavan] who possesses the munificence of grace, has given the assurance that His greatest duty is that of affording protection to devotees.

Verse 230:  Padam lovingly said:  'It will be a duty well done, if you place all your duties upon me.'

Verse 1656:  Like the children of an emperor, my devotees are heirs
to abundant rejoicing.

Verse 371:  For the cruel disease of burning samsara to end, the prescribed diet is to entrust all your burdens to me.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 16, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »

These are the verses of the greatest assurance. Thank you so much for citing them at the most appropriate time. This assurance means a lot and is the life-line for the devotees of Sri Bhagwan.

Dear sir, jiva is the Self. In sleep we are in our natural state. Only we enter this state unconsciously. On waking, mind emerges and is engaged in thinking starting, of course, with the root thought, “ I am the body” and myriad, million associated thoughts following in succession one after another. So, the jiva being the Self notwithstanding, in the waking it gets mixed-up with thinking on the one hand, and on the other hand with the inherent sense of ‘I’ . The result ? I am a limited jiva. I am a man. I am Anil, Sunil. I am this body. I am a father . And now I am a seeker. Sri Bhagwan brings about an immediate correction in this erroneous thinking once he enters this dark life by exposing this very darkness to the Sun of Jnana Who is Sri Bhagwan Himself ! And then it dawns what it means to be a devotee of Sri Bhagwan ! We understand, once for all, that this languishing in the prison of this body is mithya, an illusion, that we are heir to the abundant rejoicing much like the son of an emperor !

Thank you once again for posting an extraordinary post sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 16, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
Always and everywhere there are doorways for getting at the question ‘Who am I ?’. By any one of these the seeker must again and again engage the mind in this Quest.
                                                                 V. 483, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad

The mind must engage in this Great Quest ,’To whom these myriad thoughts ?’ not only during the time allotted as for the sadhana once in a day for half an hour or so, but always whenever  one becomes aware that mind is uselessly chewing meaningless million thoughts and assailing me no end. 

The answer to this question is not an intellectual conclusion. The (proper) answer to it is only the Experience of the Real Self in the Supreme State, arising on the death of the ego, the questioner named the “individual self” ( the soul).
                                                                       V. 484, Sri Ramanparavidyopanishad

Any answer that the mind presents will be a mere mental concept. A mere intellectual conclusion. The great devotee, Sri Who says that the true answer in this quest is the Experience of the Real Self. And the Experience of the Real Self means one  and only one thing and that is ‘B E I N G’. B E I N G will arise only when we erase the soiled consciousness, named the ‘individual self’. So, the answer would emerge from the ‘Core of one’s BEING’. So, the Inspired Poet sings in the next verse thus :

The Real Self will shine as He really is, only in the thought-free Natural State of the Self. In other states the Real Self will not shine as He really is, due to its being mixed up with intellectual views (Beliefs).
                                                                          V. 485, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad

It is not that the Self is not shining even now. What if the mind is chewing million thoughts. They cannot erase altogether the ‘All-powerful Existence’. Everyone is aware of the Existence in the feeling “I am”. ONLY IN THIS STATE HE DOES NOT SHINE AS HE REALLY IS, DUE TO BEING MIXED UP WITH INTELLECTUAL VIEWS OR BELIEFS.

Thank you,
   Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 16, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »

Dear Anil,

One should read Padamalai of Muruganar.  Most of the verses are
only sayings of Sri Bhagavan only.  Here Padam means, the feet
of Sri Bhagavan, Sri Bhagavan Himself and also the formless Self.

Verse 2389:  To attain the flourishing immortal life in which death
is no more, there is no means other than surrender.

[Page 216 of David Godman's English translation]

ULLadu Narpadu, second benedictory verse also says the same thing:

Mature souls who have an intense inner fear of death reach the feet of birthless and deathless Supreme Lord as their refuge.  Through this surrender of theirs they are dead.  Being now deathless, the
eternal, can they again have the thought of death?

Verse 1110: By offering the good mind at the auspicious feet of
God, perfect and never-diminishing bliss will be attained.

Verse 659:  Bliss comes to you by sweet grace, through the self-surrender, you perform lovingly in the heart.

[Page 219 of David Godman's English translation]

Arunachala Siva.           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 16, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »

Ji. Yes. The Padamalai and the Guru Vachaka Kovai of The Sage-Poet Sri Muruganar  portrays Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching  accurately. But , unfortunately, at present I do not have the Padamalai with me at my place of posting which is far away from my permanent residence in Patna ( Bihar ).

Yes, ‘Padam’ in the Padamalai and The Guru vachaka Kovai means the ‘Feet of Sri Bhagwan’, He Himself, as well as the Formless, Infinite Self. Thank you so much sir.

I wish to cite here three verses included under the sub-title ‘Glory of the Guru’s feet’  from the ‘Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam’ authored by Sri Muruganar :

“Through the path of his grace that even gods cannot know, he came as a teacher, in a form knowable to the senses and easily accessible to the hearts of men, setting upon the earth those holy feet that shine like bright jewels set in wisdom’s dawn.”
                                                                                                              V. 422, Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam

He came as a Teacher , in guise of man, to entice, just as a deer is used as a ploy to entice a wild deer. When True Wisdom dawns , those Holy Feet shine as the Luminous, Splendid Sun of Jnana set in the Jnana Itself !

“ The world that is perceived through the five senses is like a fiction played out in space and time. For the perplexed souls of men the only salvation is to follow the feet of the Slayer of Death, he whose nature is pure and limitless intelligence.”
                                                                                                                V. 423, Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam

“ The lotus flowers of his feet sprang up within my heart and shone there as witness, so that I retained no connection whatsoever with anything else. Now I can perceive nothing other than those feet that are the Self whose nature is the highest knowledge.”
                                                                                                                   V. 431, Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam

When those Holy Feet spring up within the heart, no connection with ‘I’ or mine can be retained because those Holy Feet are the Self and the Witness, Pure Illumination, whose nature is higher than the highest Knowledge.

Regards,
  Anil

saraskrishna

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 16, 2011, 05:33:29 PM »
Dear all.. I'm just melting to tears when I read the kindness and love that Bhagwan has showed on those Japanese devotees and the huge 3000 devotees from Pondy and Chennai...

I don't have to words.. yet, I wanted share with you all.  I can't hold on it to me... HE is ever present, I would urge everybody to seek his Grace who comes to me with grief or issues...

Even I had a very recent experience in my house for some family issues, which proved Bhagawan's presence.  The Unchanging, undoubting, firm and steady faith and trust in GURU will definitely lead us in the right way. It is not the question of helping us or saving us from problems, when we believe HE is guiding us, why would we worry then?  I surrender to HIM.. My Father, My Beloved and to be in me forever...

With Love
Bala saraskrishna

Arunachala Shiva Arunachala Shiva...

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 17, 2011, 08:35:35 AM »
Dear Sri saraskrishna,

“ In those who are fortunate enough to surrender to the Feet of their Sadguru, Para –bhakti [i.e. the Supreme Love]will grow. Such Para-bhkti will itself grow into Mei-Jnana, which will destroy completely burn away all other unworthy desires.”
                                                                                           V. 306, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

Involuntary tears are sure sign of the ensuing  Bhakti and Para-bhakti. Even partial surrender with perseverance leads to complete surrender. Sri Muruganar sings that those are fortunate enough who surrender to the Feet of the Sadguru.

“ Worship of [i.e. surrender to] the Feet of the Guru , with Guru-bhakti, is the real mantra, which will destroy all the rising vasanas and bestow Jnana, in which there will be no fear of Maya’s delusion. Thus should you know.”
                                                                                           V. 308, GVK, TR. Sri Sadhu Om

“ Though one performs all kinds of worship to the Guru, who is none other than the Supreme Shiva walking on earth, losing ‘I’, the ego, and merging into Him, the Lord of one’s soul, is the best of worship.”
                                                                                            V. 309, Gvk, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

So, the merging of the ego into the Self is the best worship to the Guru. All other worship to the Guru involve the use of body, speech and the mind and therefore cannot be performed without a break. Sri Sadhu Om here comments that ‘Jiva-Brahma-Aikya’ is the best way of worshipping the Guru.

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 17, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »
Isa-jivayor vesa-dhi-bhida
Sat-svabhavato vastu-kevalam
                                          V. 24, Upadesa Saram

Isa-jivayor :  Between God and jiva
Vesa-dhi-bhida :  the difference is only regarding attributes and knowledge
Sat-svabhvato : by their essential nature as Sat (they both are)
Vastu-kevalam : Absolute Brahman

“Therefore, the Verse reveals that between God and jiva the difference is only regarding attributes and knowledge. By their essential nature as Sat (in essence), they both are Absolute Brahman.”

Vastu kevalam is the Absolute Brahman, Absolute Existence. Absolute Brahman is the Nirguna Brahman who is without limiting attributes whatsoever. Therefore, the Reality is One. The triad of jiva, world, and God are all the illusions of the outgoing mind. Isa-jivayor means the Creator and the created. Sri Bhagwan says that both the Creator and the creature are, in essence are One and the same Reality ( Absolute Brahman ).They differ merely in their attributes of power and knowledge. Ram is the emperor and Shyam is his subject but, nevertheless, both are man, differing only in their attributes.

Vesa-hanatah svatma-darsanam
Isa-darsanam svatma-rupatah
                                          V. 25, Upadesa Saram

Vesa-hanatah : By the elimination of attributes
Savatma-darsanam : accrues the vision of the Real Self, ( and that itself is)
Isa-darsanam:  Vision of God
Svatma-rupatah : as one’s very Self ( Self is One and therefore Self of all )

“ By the elimination of the attributes accrues the Vision of the Self, and that itself is the Vision of God as He is as the Self ( of all ).”

False and illusory attributes have been superimposed on the Self. Therefore, one must get rid of the attributes by proper enquiry and contemplation. One must be able to clearly recognise that one is not the body and the mind which are mere false, imagined concepts of limitation. This can be achieved only when ego has taken to flight either by enquiry or by surrender. Thus when the individual abandons its illusory individual form and sees itself without attributes of the body and the mind, it sees the Creator, or God, as his own True Self.

Thank you,
   Anil                                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 17, 2011, 01:30:54 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes.  There is no Jivatma and Paramatama.  There is only one Atma,
one without a second. 

The Verse 24 of Upadesa Saram says as to what are the differences
between a Jiva and an Iswara.  There are one and the same principle.
But adjuncts and awareness are different. A Jiva has got a mind/ego/ and thoughts and these make all the difference, whereas Iswara is Sarvajana, all knowing.  He does not dictate terms to Jiva.  Jiva in his own follow come under the three-fold activities or five fold activities and suffer.  This is due his karma.  This is explained in
Who am I?  If a Jiva could get free from all attributes, and sees the Lord, then he shines  ever as the pure Self. [Verse 25 of Upadesa Saram.]   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:44 AM »

Thank you so much for discussing the attributes that we superimpose on ourselves and then lament that we are limited and life is miserable. Life is One and That is not miserable at all. THAT LIFE IS ALL BLISS.  That Life is the Self Itself.

What are the attributes after all ? They are all jadam, insentient. Are we insentient ? What is It that makes us sentient ? We are Sat, the Reality Itself. And the Sat is Chit. Only Sat or the Reality is. That Sat or the Reality is not insentient. That Sat is Pure Knowledge, Pure Sentience, Consciousness Itself. Therefore, we, being sentient, are That only.

Vigrahendriya pranadhi-tamah
Naham-eka-sat-tajjadam hyasat
                                 V. 22, Upadesa Saram

Vigrahendriya, prana, dhi, tamah—body, senses, prana or the life current, intellect and nescience
Naham—I am not
Eka-Sat—I am one Sat
Hi—because
Tat—all that (as above) is
Jadam—insentient
Asat—unreal and non-existent

So, Sri Bhagwan reveals that I am one Sat, One Reality. Our True Self, our True ‘I’ is not the body, senses, prana or the life current, intellect and nescience or ignorance. All those are inert, insentient and unreal or non-existent.

It is mentioned that when Sri Bhagwan was asked why the Upadesa Saram speaks of the body, senses etc. as jada, He replied that they are insentient in as much as they are seen apart from the Self. But when the Self is attained, all these are found to in the Self only. Then the question would not arise ( There will be no one to question ) and all will be the Self only.

Regards,
   Anil