Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756984 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #675 on: March 12, 2011, 08:30:08 AM »
Glory to the Guru,
Of the nature of the undivided Absolute, who has appeared as
            an embodiment of Grace, and who has taken me into
                                           your Grace !
Glory to the supreme Guru,
Who is eminently fitted to be rare refuge in all the varities
                                            of worlds !
Glory to the Guru
Who is blemishless, partless, peerless, and pervasive without
                                           a pause !
Glory to the Guru,
Who is the Supreme Siva, the higher than the highest, the
                                             Supreme Self, the Supreme Brahaman !

V. 44-18, The Song of Ribhu

Glory to you, Sadguru ( True Guru )
The blemishless, shining as the originless, undivided
        nature manifest !
Glory to you Sadguru,
The taintless, undivided, supreme Knowledge !
Glory to you , supreme Guru,
Who, transcending the “ taintless Knowledge,” tower as
      the Changeless !
Glory to you supreme Guru,
The realized, the equanimous, the totally non-attached !

V. 44-19, The Song of Ribhu

Thank you,
     Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 12, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »

Dear Anil,

Guru could be anything, not even a human.  Avadhuta in Srimad
Bhagavatam had 24 gurus, even a vulture, and a prostitute, called
Pingala.  The outside guru pushes you inside.  The guru inside
pulls you from within.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 12, 2011, 03:16:45 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Dattatreya had twenty-four gurus. The five elements, earth, water, etc.

“ What is a guru ? Guru is God, or the Self. First a man prays to God to fulfil his desires. A time comes when he will no more pray for the fulfilment of material desires but for God Himself. God then appears to him in some form or other, human or non-human, to guide him to Himself in answer to his prayers and according to his needs. “
                                                                         Sri Bhagwan, ( Guru Ramana )

Again,
“ AS the seekers mind is bent outwards, the Self takes a human shape as a guru to help driving it inward. Tayumanvar says that God, Self or Guru appears as a man to dispel the ignorance of man, just as a deer is used as a decoy to capture a wild deer. He has to appear in a body in order to dipel the ‘I am body’ notion of the seeker.”
                                                                         SriBhagwan, ( Guru Ramana )

God, Guru, and the Self are One. Sri Bhagwan says in Maharshi’s Gospel that Guru’s work lies within the spiritual realm. Ordinary worldly gurus teach only relative knowledge. Most of the spiritual teachers today either repeat parrot-like others’ experiences or only that which are recorded in the scriptures, whereas the Sadguru teaches the Truth as experienced directly by Him. He himself is the Outer Guru to push the seeker within from outside, and He Himself is waiting as the Inner Guru to take him to the Centre once his mind is introverted. Therefore, the Sadguru is One. And His marks are ‘steady abidance in the Self and seeing all with an equal eye and unshakable courage at all times and in all circumstances.’  Glory to the Sadguru !

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
   Anil                         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 12, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
I wish to repost re-704 with some addition and improvement with a view to extend the discussion by two or three more posts on the lines discussed in this post.

Sri Bhagwan: Make effort. Just as water is got by boring a well, so also you realize the Self by investigation.
Devotee : Yes. But some find water readily and others with difficulty.
Sri Bhagwan : BUT YOU ALREADY SEE THE MOISTURE ON THE SURFACE. YOU ARE HAZILY AWARE OF THE SELF.PURSUE IT.  When the effort ceases the Self shines forth.
                                                                                                                               Talk-240

AS one bores deeper into the earth, one encounters wet soil, then fine sand, coarse sand and then water in the aquifer. Likewise, when one investigates deeper and deeper, haze goes on clearing. Body to body consciousness
Body consciousness to I-Consciousness
I-consciousness to Consciousness   

Sri Bhagwan says that discussion such as, ‘I know’ or I know not’ invites ridicule. Are there two Selves, seeing and seen ? The Self is One and only One. And we already see the moisture on the surface. Dim light of the Self is readily available in the surface-self or the ego-self. We all are hazily aware of the Self in the surface-self. Therefore, what is meant by the above is this that the surface-self or the ego self must help itself and the dim light in it is enough to commence the Great Inward Journey. The associated consciousness in the surface self is certain to yield for deeper and larger consciousness gradually.

“ Know thyself.”

“ By the Self, one must know the Self.”

“ By the Self, one must attain the Self.”

“ Imperfect Knowledge is the means of the perfect knowledge.”

The above is best achieved by holding on to the I-thought till it is completely merged in the Larger Consciousness of the Self.  Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is the epoch-making formulation of all the scriptural statements such as ‘Know thyself and such’. The greatness of the Atma-vichara, the Royal Straight Path, lies in this truth and is obvious to discern.

Thank you,
     Anil           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 13, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
Mind is only the dynamic power (sakti) of the Self. When the mind is pure, free of thoughts, and peaceful, it is the Supreme. When Pure Mind becomes restless, it is afflicted by thoughts, giving rise to the triputi (triads ), i.e. God, world and jivas.
There is no difference between matter and spirit and matter and energy. Even according to the modern science, matter is nothing but energy ( Mass-Energy Equivalence Theorem ). Energy is power or force (sakti). So, Sri Bhagwan says that all are resolved in Siva and Sakti, the Self and the Mind.
It follows, therefore, that the triputi or triad i.e. God, World, and jivas, and sheaths are mere appearances in the Self. There is no reality in them whatever. They are all thoughts. Pure imagination.
                   Sleep              Wakefulness

No world                World
                  No Attachment     Attachment
                  The Self                The Self
                                                                                                                                             Talk-280

Maya is attachment to the world.

Sri Bhagwan: Was the world in your deep sleep? Was there attachment to it ?
Devotee : There was not.
                                                                                         Talk-280

But I cannot deny that I didn’t exist in deep sleep. I am all along the same, the same as I had been in deep sleep. Only attachment which are mere thoughts were not there. Am I a mere thought ? Ego-mind was not in the sleep. Sri Bhagwan says that the world and attachment to it are of the mind, not of the Self.

During sleep the Self is Pure whereas in the waking state the contaminated Self or the surface self or the ego-self waxes and wanes.
                                                                         ( To continue in the next post )

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 13, 2011, 10:17:59 AM »
Miseries appear in jagrat ( in the waking state ) only. Sri Bhagwan says, “ If you see your Self they will not appear.
We are happy in our sleep. Are we not ? How is sleep different from the waking state. Only there is no I-thought and associated thoughts flowering in the wake of the waking state. Sri Bhagwan says that the root thought ‘I’ and the flowering thoughts hide our inherent happiness. He asks us to get rid of the obstacles (thoughts) to happiness. Our natural state is one of happiness as is evident in our sleep. We cannot deny that we are happy in sleep. Can we ? Otherwise we would not be saying that we slept happily. We know that it was happiness. Otherwise we would not be inviting and courting the ‘sleep queen’ by preparing feathery beds and pillows.

Therefore, it follows that when there is no thought, no ‘I’, nothing, in fact nothing except myself, I am happy. Sri Bhagwan says that this is the whole Truth.

“I am That.” So, I am, in Truth, not what I claim to be in the waking state. I am That.
Sri Bhagwan: Find your Self: and then “That” is known.
Sri Bhagwan says that this is exactly what is conveyed by Mahavakya “Tatvamasi”.

Thank you,
   Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 13, 2011, 12:56:09 PM »

It is Mother or Sakti or Maya that creates the world and its problems.
It is Her sport.  What can we say about it?  Take the tsunami that has caused devastation in Japan.  Even the earth has wobbled due to that effect.  How to view it?  Excepting that it is Maya's sports.

Maya is two fold, Suddha Maya and Asuddha Maya.  It is Asuddha
Maya, with which we see this world, its happiness and sufferings.
We tend to identify with them.  When one transcends the mind,
then she becomes Suddha Maya and she directs us to Siva.

She is both Jada Swarupini
and she is Chaitanya Rupini.

Sri Bhagavan says Maya is nothing but Mind. Maya is also the Self.  One can see some paradox in this statement.  Yes. She is mind when mind goes outwards and if the mind is turned inwards, she gets merged with the Self.  She is the inseparable part of Self.   

Arunachala Siva.     

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 13, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
Dear sir,

According to the sciencetist the moon is coming closer to earch this month.This pournima's moon will be biger size.It falls on 1/18 of this month.We could see this moon on 18th. After hearing this few astroledgers predicted that, there is a big clamity like this.
They told we should chant God's name or do japam from 10 p.m. to 12 (mid night). Those who are going Giri valam are lucky people.

Ramanaduli,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 13, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »

Dear Ramanaduli,

There are some interesting things about the earth.  It is said to wobble once in 26000 years.  In Srimad Bhagavatam, it is said that
when one king [I forgot the name], found this earth wobbling during
his rule, he handed over the kingdom to his son and went to jungle for meditation.  Recently earth wobbled once, about a month back. Due to Tsunami in Sendai, Japan, the earth has wobbled again three days back and this time, its Axis moved away by four inches and time got shorter by 1/8th of a second or so. Two wobblings in one
month is some thing extraordinary.  You are also telling about the Pournami of this month, where the moon would appear bigger.
I really do not know what will happen to earth.  Anyway we are in Sri Bhagavan's lap.  He is the Refuge of all.

The tsunami again is supposed to happen once in 400 years, according to modern scientists.  But after 2004, India-Sri Lanka tsunami, the worst tsunami of Japan has happened with in 7 years!  The modern scientists have once been proved wrong.

Nostardamus, a famous Italian astrologer has written some predictions.  They are all in cryptic Latin language, and all such predictions in the form of verses, could not deciphered.  I do not
know whether he has predicted one such catastrophe in  2011.

We can trust Nostradamus and other Indian astrologers more than the scientists.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 14, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »

Thank you so much for a very meaningful post (re-711).

Maya, Shakti, Mind etc. are only different names for the Mother. There is only one Truth and that Truth is unmoving and all-pervading Brahman. He alone is All-powerful Existence-Consciousness. But  Power (Shakti) implies movement.  Sri Bhagwan says in Sat-Darshana Bhashya that though God moves by His Power ( Shakti), He transcends the movement. He is ‘Achala’, ‘Atita’. But Power has no separate existence apart from Brahman. Maya has no separate existence apart from God. The Mother is coeval with the Eternal Shiva. 

Ji. Yes. But Sri Bhagwan says that this whole creation or the Movement is though a sport of Maya or the Power (Shakti), it is formulation of God, Ish-Kalpana.
Maya is the same as the mind. Therefore, Sudha Maya is the same as the Pure Mind and Asudh Maya is the same as the Impure Mind. As you have so beautifully said, it is the Asudha Maya or the Impure Mind which first creates and then sees happiness and miseries in it.

Sri Bhagwan says in Sat-Darshana Bhashya that there is no difference between Shakti and Shakta, the Power and the Powerful. You have very beautifully said that it is mind when it goes outwards; but when it becomes pure by Grace and sadhana, it is turned inwards and gets merged with the Self. This, in my view, is the meaning of ‘Ardha Nariswar’.

“ Looking at the movement, one calls it Shakti, Power; settling himself in the support of the movement, Ashray, another calls it Achala. If the former is activity, vyapara, the latter is its support, Ashraya, Substance. Shakti and Vastu, Force and Substance, are inseparable, are indeed two aspects of one and the same Truth. Only without the Sakti vyapara or the movement of the Power, the real Substance is not apprehended. “
                                                               Sri Bhagwan, Sat-Darshana Bhashya

Sri Bhagwan says that this Shakti vyapara is the eternal activity of of Ishwara. However, if this vyapara ( Ish-Kalpana) is transcended, what remains is the Swarupa.

Regards,
  Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 14, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
The very nature of the argument is to veil the truth. Since it is nothing but an art of illusion and imagination, it will delude and confuse the mind. Therefore, no one who has fallen into the dark hole of arguments will see the Sunlight, Self-knowledge.
                                                                                                V. 524, GVK, Tr. by Sri Sadhu Om

Words and thoughts do not reveal Self. On the contrary, they will veil it completely. Therefore, be alert in controlling both speech and thought so that Self, which is hidden by them, will shine of Its own accord.
                                                                                                 V. 525, GVK, TR. by Sri Sadhu Om

Thought and speech cannot reveal the Self. On the contrary, they veil it completely. Sri Muruganar  warns us against falling into ‘the dark hole of arguments’. He says that ‘We’, Self, alone are real. Thought and speech, which is also only the gross form of thought, are alien to us. Since we alone are real, thought, speech and arguments etc. are therefore unreal. Sri Bhagwan taught us technique of  Self-attention which alone can subside infallibly thoughts and speech.

How diametrically opposite is the truth to the worldly perception !  Here thinking is supposed to be living !

Thank you,
   Anil                     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 14, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »

Whatever happens to the earth, we, the devotees of Sri Bhagwan need not worry at all. You have said all when you say, ' Anyway we are in Sri Bhagwan's lap. He is the Refuge of all'.

However, I wish to say that dissolution of the earth must not be in sight, else Sri Bhagwan or other sages must have indicated, if not in general, then to some of His close devotees. What to talk of physical sciences and scientists, they cannot even predict weather accurately even though they have vast data, now computer generated ! Have they ever predicted any major catastrophe and saved lives ? But, of course, they woud not listen to sages.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 14, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »

Dear Anil,

In one another blog, a member is from Japan.  There are also two others.  Their names are Maneesha, Akira and Shibha.  After getting
the news of Earthquake and Tsunami, I and some other members checked up through the blog, whether these ladies are safe. You won't believe that Maneesha had proceeded from Japan to India and was in Tiruvannamalai/Bangalore during that fateful event!  The other two ladies, also informed that they are safe.  They are all Ramana Bhaktas and is it not surprising that Ramana has acted as Refuge for them?  Because they are in Tiger's jaw.  The tiger will not leave its prey.  We are all His prey.  We should only pray to
Him to confer us His golden feet. 

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 14, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »

Glory to Bhagwan Sri Ramana !
Hail to the Sadguru !

There is no doubt that Gracious Sri Bhagwan has acted as Refuge for the fortunate devotees from Japan. Ji.Yes. They are in Tiger's jaw. How can other animal dare harm them ?

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 14, 2011, 06:06:36 PM »

Dear Anil,

The same thing had happened  when Tsunami stuck India and Sri Lanka, in the year 2004.   Many people who saw the sea making inroads into cities, in Chennai and Pondicherry, came rushing to
Tiruvannamalai, by cars, scooters, and buses.  About 3000 people
where fed on that day in the Asramam.

Arunachala Siva.