Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757949 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #660 on: March 08, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes.  Sri Bhagavan says in Atma Vidya Kirtanam, Verse 5 [In
Osborne's Collected Works, it is titled as Self Knowledge under
Miscellaneous Verses]:

For loosening karma's bonds and ending births,
This path is easier than all other paths,
Abide in stillness, without any stir
Of tongue, mind, body.  And behold
The effulgence of the Self within;
The experience of Eternity; absence
Of all fear, the ocean vast of Bliss.

[Tr. Prof. K. Swaminathan]

Arunachala Siva.

Om Hridayam

• Love Ramana Love Ramana Love Ramana Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 09, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »
A beautiful quote, thank you.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 09, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »

Dear Om Hridayam,

There are six stanzas in that poem.   This is the 4th stanza:

Of what avail is knowing things
Other than the Self?  And the Self being known,
What other thing is there to know?
That one light that shines as many selves,
Seeing this Self within,
As Awareness' lightning flash;
The play of Grace; the ego's death;
The blossoming of Bliss.

[Tr. Prof. K. Swaminathan]

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 09, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »
Lo, very easy is Self-Knowledge,
Lo, very easy indeed.

I wish to cite Verse- 3 and Verse- 6 of Atma-Vidya Kirtanam ( Self-Knowledge ) as follows :

The thought ‘ I am the body ‘ is the thread
On which are strung together various thoughts.
 Questing within, enquiring ‘Who am I ?
And whence this thought ? all other thoughts
Vanish. And as ‘I’, ‘I’ within the Heart-cave
The Self shines of its own accord.
Such Self-awareness is the only Heaven,
This stillness, this abode of Bliss.
                                             Verse-3,  Self-Knowledge
This Stillness, Life Eternal, is the Abode of Bliss Supreme. 

Annamalai the Self, the Eye
Behind the eye of mind which sees
The eye and all the other senses
 Which know the sky and other elements,
The Being which contains, reveals, perceives
 The inner sky that shines within the Heart
 When the mind free of thoughts turns inward,
Annamalai appears as my own Self.
True, Grace is needed; Love is added.
Bliss wells up.
                                            Verse-6, Self-Knowledge, Tr. Prof.  K. Swaminathan
So, Message is crystal-clear.  ‘ When only the mind free of thoughts turn inward, Annamalai appears as my own Self.’
Grace of the Master, Love of the seeker, Bliss wells up.

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 09, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
I wish to conclude the on-going discussion on Silence with citation of  verses from ‘Occasional Verses’, included in  the Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi, as following :

Silence

Silence, the unique language, ever surging in the
Heart, is the state of grace.

Miracle of Dakshinamurti

Who is the youthful guru beneath the banyan tree ?
Very old are the pupils who seek him.
The handsome teacher’s speech is silence.
Cleared are all the pupils’ doubts.

Under the wonderful banyan trees shines the youthful
Guru.  Aged pupils come to Him. Silence is this teacher’s
Speech. Gone are the doubts in the pupils’  minds.

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 10, 2011, 06:43:50 AM »
Sri Bhagwan says that unless one holds on to the Divine Power present within every one, the Consciousness of the Self, one cannot discard thoughts and attributes. Sri A.R. Natarajan , in his ‘ The Living Guru’ has included a conversation that Sri Viswanatha Swami had with Sri Bhagwan.
Sri Viswanatha Swami : How am I to rise above my present animal existence ? My own efforts in that direction have proved futile. I am convinced that it is only a superior might that could transform me.

Sri Bhagwan : Yes, you are right. It is only on this awakening of a power mightier than the senses and the mind that these can be subdued. If you awaken to and nurture the growth of this power within you everything else will be conquered.

We are all linked to the Power within but for which we cannot function at all. So, Sri Bhagwan emphasises to look within for tapping this divine power, nurturing its growth, and channeling it for one’s sadhana.

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 10, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »
It is thus plain that the purpose of the intellect is to realize its own dependence upon the Higher Power and its inability to reach the same. So it must annihilate itself before the goal is reached.
                                                                                                   Talk-502
Intellect cannot itself reach the Power that lights it. Intellect is only an instrument of the Self.  That which is beyond it cannot be known by it. This conclusion we must reach by discrimination and Vichara. We must understand that intellect is the instrument wherewith to know the empirical things. But Sri Bhagwan says that I am already known, being the Self which is Itself Pure Knowledge. Therefore, how can I be object of knowledge being Myself the Eternal Subject ? Sri Bhagwan says that the intellect only enables to see and know things external to me, things outside myself, and not that which is its own source. Yes, thus far, to that extent, the intellect is certainly useful. After all, it helps to analyse ourselves, and no further.

Whose is the intellect ? For whom the mind or intellect functions ?
For the ego.
Sri Bhagwan says, “ Merge the intellect in the ego and and seek the source of the ego. The ego disappears.”

Thank you,
   Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 10, 2011, 08:55:29 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes.  To transcend the animal existence, and to realize the Self,
Guru's gaze or grace or both are necessary.  When the elephant
dreams of a lion, then it wakes up with a huge cry, or even sometimes
dies.  This is the death of ego, due to Guru's grace and gaze.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:42 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you so much for a very nice post.  God, Guru and the Self are One. The great devotee, Sri K. Laksmana Sarma ( WHO) has versified this truth so beautifully as follows :

The power of God, well-known in the world as Grace, has three forms, namely as God, the Supreme Being, as the Holy Guru and as the Real Self in the Supreme State.
                                                                                V. 216, The Supreme Science as taught by Sri Ramana

Sri Sarma comments that devotion to God leads one to the finding of the Guru who is none other than God Himself. Devotion to the Guru leads up to the true awareness of the Self, who  is God Himself.

Dear sir, Guru is the Self. Therefore, the Gaze of the Guru is the Gaze of the Self, although the Self Itself does not gaze.  This gaze of the Guru is certain to awaken the devotee from the deep slumber in which he has fallen from the time immemorial, just as the elephant is awakened with a start by seeing a lion in the dream. The Gaze of the Guru is the realization of the Grace.

Regards,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan says this in Verse 15 of Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai:

KaNNukku KaNNai KaNNinRi KaaN unai
Kaanuvathu evar par Arunachala!

There are three interpretations for this verse.

1. Eye of the eye you are, and without eyes you see.
    Who can see You, O Arunachala!

2. You are the sight within the eye, and without eyes, You see.
    Who can see You but Yourself, O Arunachala!

3. You are the all-seeing Witness, seeing all sights and seen by
    none.
    Who can see you?  It is for You to see me and give me Your
    grace! O Arunachala!

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 11, 2011, 07:59:50 AM »
Sri Bhgwan :
See wherefrom thought arises. It is the mind.
See for whom the mind and intellect functions. For the ego.
Merge the intellect in the ego and seek the source of the ego.
The ego disappears.
                                                Talk-618

Devotee : I mean when the spirit is disembodied, does it carry intellect with it ?
Sri Bhagwan : Spirit is not disembodied. The bodies differ. It may not be a gross body. It will then be a subtle body, as in sleep, dream or day-dream. Intellect does not alter; the bodies may differ according to circumstances.
Devotee : The spirit-body is astral body then ?
Sri Bhagwan : The intellect is the astral body now .
Devotee: How can it be ?
Sri Bhagwan : Why not ? You seem to think that the intellect cannot be limited like a body. It is an aggregate of certain factors. What else is the astral body ?
Devotee : But the intellect is a sheath ?
Sri Bhagwan : Yes. Without intellect no sheath is cognised. Who says that there are five sheaths ? Is it not the intellect that declares thus ?
                                                                                               Talk-206
Therefore, intellect is a sheath or the astral body which cognises other sheaths. Intellect being astral body, it is an aggregate of certain factors. What are  these certain factors ? Samskaras. Impressions. What are they ? Non-Self.
They all are eventually reduced to thoughts. What are they all ? thoughts and only thoughts.

See for whom thoughts arise ?
For the mind.
For whom the mind and intellect function  ?
For the ego.
Merge the intellect in the ego and seek the source of the ego.
The ego disappears.

Thank you,
    Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »

Who can ever find Thee ?
Who but (Thyself) can find Thee, Oh Arunachala !

Thank you so much for a very apt reminder.

Is it true silence to rest like a stone inert and unexpansive , Oh Arunachala ?
                                                       V. 87, Akshara Mana Malai

One art Thou without a second; Who then could dare elude Thee and come in ? This is only Thy jugglery, Oh Arunachala ! 
                                                                          V. 12, Akshara Mana Malai

In silence Thou saidst, ‘Stay silent’ and Thyself stoodst silent, Oh Arunachala !
                                                                                     V. 36, Akshara Mana Malai

Shine as my Guru, making me free from faults and worthy of Thy Grace, Oh Arunachala !
                                                                          V. 19, Akshara mana Malai

I am a simpleton devoid of learning. Do thou dispel my illusion, Oh Arunachala !
                                                                              V. 58, Akshara Mana Malai

Unless Thou extend Thy hand of grace in mercy and embrace me, I am lost, Oh Arunachala !
                                                                               V. 51, AksharaMana Malai

Reagards,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 11, 2011, 10:26:28 AM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan who was showing the most sublime character in His
life had to say such things, where are we to go?  To what hell, we
shall go?

Verse 19 of Sri AAMM:  O Arunachala, You who stand and shine before me in the form of my Guru, destroy utterly my faults, cure me and convert me, and as Your servant govern me!

Verse 7 of Sri Arunachala Nava Mani Maalai:

That moment when as Annamalai, You called me and mad me Your own, You took sole charge of my spirit and my body.  What more do I want?  Merit or defect I know none apart from You. My very life
You are.  Do with me what You will.  Only, only give me ever increasing love for Your twin feet.

[Tr. Prof. K. Swaminathan.]

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: March 11, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »

Thank you so much sir for a very  nice post.

Ji. Yes. Grace is the primary and essential cause in matter spiritual. As Sri Bhagwan has said, one cannot acquire dispassion, nor learn and walk the path, nor can realize the Truth, and nor can inhere in the Self, in the absence of the Guru’s Grace. Realization is due to the Guru’s Grace more than teachings, lectures, discussion, meditation etc. These are at best secondary.

Sri Arunachala appeared as a Great Column of Blazing Fire. The Great Lord took the form of the Hill, out of compassion, in response to the prayer of the Great Gods,  Sri Brahma and Sri Vishnu. Again, He compassionately took Human Form so that mortals are not misled by the Insentient Form of the Hill. Bhagwan Guru Sri Ramana is the Human Embodiment of Sri Arunachala and His Compassion.

The Grace of the Lord will open the eyes of those who love Him, and before the thought of Him can even arise in the heart, will speak to them inwardly saying, ‘Behold it is I !’
Lending sharpness to my sight and directing my gaze to His Holy Feet it kept me close by His side, the Grace of my Lord.
                                                    V. 976, Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam

It will manifest in all its grandeur to aid and comfort His devoted followers whenever some affliction befalls them.
It is the Grace of my Lord who, with a most captivating appearance, placed His Feet upon the earth, approached and became my Master.
                                                                   V. 1036, Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam

Yes. He is always there without fail to guide and give strength whenever His loving and adoring devotees falter.

Regards,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:18 AM »
Sri Bhagwan: Make effort. Just as water is got by boring a well, so also you realize the Self by investigation.
Devotee : Yes. But some find water readily and others with difiiculty.
Sri Bhagwan : BUT YOU ALREADY SEE THE MOISTURE ON THE SURFACE. YOU ARE HAZILY AWARE OF THE SELF.PURSUE IT.  When the effort ceases the Self shines forth.
                                                                                                                               Talk-240

Sri Bhagwan says that discussion such as, ‘I know’ or I know not’ invites ridicule. Are there two Selves, seeing and seen ? The Self is One and only One. And we already see the moisture on the surface. Dim light of the Self is readily available in the surface-self or the ego-self. We all are hazily aware of the Self in the surface-self. Therefore, what is meant by the above is this that the surface-self or the ego self must help itself and the dim light in it is enough to commence the Great Inward Journey. The associated consciousness in the surface self is certain to yield for deeper and larger consciousness gradually.

“ By the Self, one must know the Self.”

“ By the Self, one must attain the Self.”

“ Imperfect Knowledge is the means of the perfect knowledge.”

The above is best achieved by holding on to the I-thought till it is completely merged in the Larger Consciousness of the Self.  Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is the epoch-making formulation of all the scriptural statements such as ‘Know thyself and such’. The greatness of the Atma-vichara, the Royal Straight Path, lies in this truth and is obvious to discern.

Thank you,
     Anil