Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759546 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #630 on: March 02, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »
Whole objective world is within the subjective consciousness. Truth of one’s own existence is undeniable. This great truth is self-evident to each and every one of us. Sri Bhagwan asks, “ Can you deny the undeniable fact of your existence ? ”

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan’s approach to the Absolute Truth is from the Existence or Sat or Being aspect, as contrasted with the other approaches to the Reality which invariably take one, two or more aspects of the objective world.

‘I’-feeling is known to all of us. Tracing one’s ‘I’ to its source is, to investigate where from it springs, is cent percent certain to reveal the Ultimate Truth. Initially, almost all of us identify this ‘I’ with the grossest form of identification i.e. the body. Here it is worth mention that it is surprising, to say the least, that what a ‘leela’ (play) it is that That which is Pure Consciousness, Pure Knowledge, Pure Intelligence comes inextricably to be identified with the insentient body.

But, we, the devotees of Bhagwan Sri Ramana, have understood this by now and made efforts to detach ourselves from this insulting and the grossest form of identification. Our coming to the Guru, learning and practicing the Path taught by Him, our perseverance on the Path, all these obviously show that our relation with the body has sufficiently become attenuated because this belief of ‘I am the body’ has been persistently challenged by the “ Who am I ? ” investigation. The ‘hriday granthi’ or the knot that ties the Pure Intelligence with the totally insentient body has certainly grown weaker. Our attention is now more and more getting riveted to the Pure Sentience from the ‘lump of earth’ that is the insentient body. Now it is palpable that ‘I’ cannot be the mere insentient body.
                                                                ( To continue in the next post )

Thank you,
   Anil             

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 02, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »
Self Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is termed as Atma Vichara which is based on the undeniable fact of our own existence, the subjective consciousness, ‘I’-feeling, present in the hearts of every beings. When thoroughly acquainted, mastered, and practiced intelligently with whole heart, this great Path acts in two ways. First, it purifies the mind by degrees by effectively and efficiently warding off the thoughts. Second, by analysis, reflection, deep contemplation and intense enquiry, the insignificant, limited, insentient and the transient nature of the body and the world gradually become crystal-clear to the intellect as contrasted with the Pure and Infinite Intelligence that ‘I’, in truth, is. It becomes obvious with perseverance that Pure Intelligent ‘I’ alone is the pervader in his body  as the life and consciousness. This Eternal, Infinite, and Intelligent Pervader alone remains when thoughts are finally eliminated by the twin weapons of Atma Vichara “ Who am I ?” and “ Whence am I ?”.  After all, it is not for nothing that the above twin weapons have been compared to ‘Brahmastra’ and the Path Itself has been termed as ‘The Royal Straight Path’.

Thank you,
    Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 02, 2011, 09:31:18 AM »
 Dear Devotees,

To the devotees of Bhagwan Sri Ramana the world over, Lord Sri Arunachala is 'The Light Of Knowledge' and the Supreme Lord of the Universe who Himself incarnated as Guru Sri Ramana.

Sri Bhagwan says in Tall-218 that the Linga originally manifested as Sri Arunachala when the moon was in the constellation of Orion (Ardra) in December. However, He was first worshiped on Sivaratri day which is held sacred even now.

Today is the Sivaratri day. Sri Arunachala stands splendid in Tiruvannamalai conveying His State from heaven to earth. we all cannot reach there today. But,Sri Bhagwan also says that Sri Arunachala is within you as your own Self.Therefore, worship of the Self, from where ever we are, is the true worship to Him. Sri Bhagwan has also said that Sivaratri day is the 'Day of the Marriage of the Father and the Mother'.

Thank you,
    Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 02, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Today is Maha Sivaratri.  On this day [see Sri Bhagavan's
Tamizh verses on Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam, the Linga which was
hitherto a huge column of Light, became a Hill and all Devas starting from Vishnu started worshipping It.

In Sri Sankara TV Channel, today one gentleman spoke on some
verses of Sivananda Lahari.  He spoke very nicely.  Sivanananda
Lahari brims with bhakti bhava.  Sri Bhagavan has selected some
9 or 10 verses from this work and asked devotees to chant, whenever they could.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 02, 2011, 03:04:30 PM »

Today is Maha Sivaratri.  On this day [see Sri Bhagavan's
Tamizh verses on Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam, the Linga which was
hitherto a huge column of Light, became a Hill and all Devas starting from Vishnu started worshipping It.

In Sri Sankara TV Channel, today one gentleman spoke on some
verses of Sivananda Lahari.  He spoke very nicely.  Sivanananda
Lahari brims with bhakti bhava.  Sri Bhagavan has selected some
9 or 10 verses from this work and asked devotees to chant, whenever they could.

Nandi said :
" That is the holy place. Of all Arunachala is the most sacred ! It is the heart of the world ! Know it to be the secret  and sacred Heart-centre of Siva ! In that place he always abides as the glorious Aruna Hill !"

" That day on which the ancient and wonderful linga of Arunachala took shape is the asterism of Ardra in the month of Mrigasira. And the day on which Vishnu and the other devas worshipped the Lord who emerged in the form of effulgence is the day of Maha Sivaratri."

Siva Said :
" Though in fact fiery, my lacklustre appearance as a hill on this spot is an act of grace and loving solicitude for the maintenance of the world. Here I always abide as the Great One ( Sidha ). Remember that in the interior of my Heart is transcendental glory with all the enjoyments of the world also."

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Do you mean to say that the above Verses were composed by Sri Bhagwan in Tamizh ? For, these Verses have been cited here from 'Sri Arunachala Mahatmya', included in the 'Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi'. I thought that this was an ancient work which was translated by Sri Bhagwan into Tamizh and this is the reason for the inclusion of this Divine Work in the Collection.

You have also mentioned about 'Sivananda Lahri' in your post and also informed that Sri Bhagwan selected some 9 or 10 verses from this work. Dear sir, I have so far not read this work, although I have time and again seen its reference. Kindly tell us something about this important work, and also kindly inform where the verses, selected by Sri Bhagwan, from this work, is to be found.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 02, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »

Yes.  These verses originally in Sanskrit were in Skandam etc.,
Sri picked them up and rendered in Tamizh.

On Maha Sivaratri, there is one more story.  On a Sivaratri night,
at around 8 p.m. T. K. Sundaresa Iyer and other devotees sat around
Sri Bhagavan's sofa and asked Him to say about Sri Dakshinamurty
Stotram.  Sri Bhagavan nodded and kept silent.  It was 10 pm, 12 mn, 2 am, 4 am and then 6 am.  Not a word came from the mouth of Sri Bhagavan.  Then, at 6 am. He said: okay, let us take coffee!

What Sri Dakshinamurty who spoke in silence, can be explained in a talk?  Silence was his speech.  And the disciples understood and they had no doubts.

Actually Sri Bhagavan has rendered in Tamizh 11 verses of Sri
Dakshinamurty Stotram.  These are available in Collected Works.
He also wanted to write an elaborate commentary on Sri Dakshinamurty Stotram. However, it was not to come through.

There is of course one commentary on Sri Dakshinamurty Stotram called Manosollasa by Sureswarar, Sri Sankara's disciple. It is translated into English also and is available in Sri Ramakrishna Math.  Pure essence of advaitam.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 03, 2011, 08:41:04 AM »

Thank you so much for pointing out that the Verses contained in the 'Sri Arunachala Mahatmya' were  taken by Sri Bhagwan from the ancient works, such as Skandam etc and rendered in Tamizh by Him.

The story narrating the 'Maha Mouna' on a Maha Sivaratri night that Sri Bhagwan observed to teach His devotees is very, very inspiring. There is no doubt about 'His Identity'. He Himself has said and indicated that He is the same as Sri Arunachala and Sri Dakshinamurty.

Dear sir, I wished you to kindly tell me something about Sivananda Lahri as well.

Regards,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 03, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »

“ Heart is the centre of the Real. But the ego is impermanent. Like everything else it is supported by the Heart centre. But the character of the ego is a link between spirit and matter; it is a knot (granthi), the knot of radical ignorance in which one is steeped. This granthi is there in the ‘Hrit’, the Heart. When this knot is cut asunder by proper means you find that this is the Self’s centre.”
                                    Sat-Darshana Bhashya and Talks with Maharshi

Therefore, so long as this knot, the granthi, is not cut asunder by proper means, one cannot reach the Self’s centre.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan has mentioned about a passage (nadi) from the Heart centre called, Atmanadi, Brahmanadi orAmritanadi. Sri Bhagwan says that this nadi is the passage of liberation and this is the nadi that is referred to in the Upanishads.

“ When this passage is open, you have no moha, no ignorance. You know the Truth even when you talk, think or do anything-dealing with men and things.”
                                                     Upanishads

Devotee : Hearing all this I am puzzled. I do not know how one can get such great experiences by simply bearing in mind the sayings “ See the Seer “, “ know thyself ”, etc.

[ In the beginning, when I came to know about the Amritanadi, I was puzzled and wondered how one can this great passage can be opened by merely raising the question, “ Who am I ? ” But when I understood Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching in its entirety, all doubts were cleared. However, now I wish to know more about the Atmanadi Sri Bhagwan refers to. Hence, I would request you to kindly let me know your mind about this Great Nadi.] Please, see Sri Bhagwan’s reply to the above question.

Sri Bhagwan : It is difficult indeed, but not impossible once you are earnest about it….
That is why they say you must have the touch of Grace. The influence of Jnanin steals into you in silence…. He need not talk.
                                         Sat-Darshana Bhashya and Talks with Maharshi

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 03, 2011, 09:05:56 AM »

Dear Anil,

Among the various compositions of bhakti and prayer [Stotra-granthas] of Sri Sankara, Sri Soundarya Lahari and Sri Sivananda
Lahari are the best.  While the former, glorifies Mother, in which
in 100 verses, the first 41 verses are full of mantras.  Then the remaining verses speak about the beauty of Mother from head to toe.

Sri Sivananda Lahari however, is full of devotion, and devotion only.
It contains again 100 verses.  It is said to have been composed in
Sri Sailam Temple, in Andhra Pradesh, by Sri Sankara.  Each verse
speaks of Siva's abundant grace and kindness.   The English version
is available in Sri Ramakrishna Math.

Among 100 verses, Sri Bhagavan selected 10 verses and recommended them for  chanting whenever possible.

These are: 1) Verse No. 61;  2) Verse No. 76;  3) Verse No. 83;
4) Verse No. 6;  5) Verse No. 65:  6) Verse No. 15:  7) Verse No.
12;  8) Verse No. 9:  9)  Verse No.11  10)  Verse No. 91.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 03, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »

Thank you so much for giving important information about Sri Sivananda Lahari of Sri Sankara and pointing out the verse no. of 10 nos. verses, selected and recommended for chanting, whenever possible, by Sri Bhagwan.I shall search for this book in Book Stalls in Patna and in Sri Ramkrishna Math. I have with me a copy of Sri Soudarya Lahari with Sanskrit Text, transliteration, translation and notes based on Sri Laksmidhara's commentary by Sri Swami Tapasyananda of Sri Ramkrishna Math. The Mother is adored in Her creative aspect under the name Tripura in this famous Text. The first 41 Verses, out of 100 Verses in the Great Composition, are said to be the source of various Mantras as you said. This Work is highly technical. The preface to the first edition says that the Mantras and the ways of adoration  that are advocated in it must be learnt by a competent student from a competent teacher. This is the reason, perhaps, that whenever I tried to read this Great Work in the past, I couldn't proceed far. However, from your post, it appears that Sri Sivananda Lahari is full of devotion and we can read and understand this Composition even without learning from a competent teacher.

Dear sir, I wish that you kindly say something on 'Amrianadi' as well.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 04, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
A devotee asked from Sri Bhagwan :

There are said to be six organs of different colours in the chest, of which the heart is said to be two finger-breadths to the right of the middle line. But the Heart is also formless. Should we then imagine it to have a shape and meditate on it ?

We all have been reading and hearing about six organs of different colours in the chest and also that among them the Heart is two finger-breadths to the right of the middle line of the chest. So, Sri Bhagwan, out of compassion, gives a physical location for That which is formless so that those who are still infatuated with the ‘I am body’ idea or imagination may have a tangible form to look for. Sri Bhagwan says that the source of ‘I-ness’ is the Spiritual Heart, as contrasted with the physical and beating heart in the left side of the chest. Sri Bhagwan says that a Realized sage experiences the Heart-centre two finger-breadths to the right of the middle line of the chest in relation to the body. Sri Bhagwan replies to the above question :

Sri Bhagwan : No. Only the quest “ Who am I ?” is necessary. What remains all through deep sleep and waking is the same. But in waking there is unhappiness and the effort to remove it. Asked who wakes from sleep you say ‘I’. Now you are told to hold fast to this ‘I’. If this is done the eternal being will reveal Itself. Investigation of ‘I’ is the point and not meditation on the heart-centre. There is nothing like within or without. Both mean either the same or nothing.
                                                               Talk-130

( To continue in the next post)

Thank you,
   Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 04, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »
Sri Bhagwan’s Atma Vichara is not about meditation on the Heart-centre. Investigation of ‘I’ is the point. How can all-pervading Existence be investigated within or without, inside or outside, up or down ? There is no within or without, no inside or outside and no up or down. These are mere imagined concepts. They all either mean the same thing or nothing.

Sri Bhagwan says that meditation on centres other than the ‘Heart’ is only a practice and not the investigation. Sri Bhagwan says that those who meditate on other centres cannot remain aware of the stillness of the mind when it is brought about, but they only infer this stillness of the mind after it again becomes active. On the contrary, the one who meditates on the heart or holds fast to this ‘I’ can remain aware when the mind ceases to be active and remains still.

Stillness does not mean blankness. Contrary to our belief thinking is not the true mode of life. Ours is the Life Eternal. Existence-Consciousness alone is Eternal. I-thought and all associated thoughts are alien to us which prevent our realizing the True Nature as Existence-Consciousness and Bliss. Stillness means not to think but remain, all the same, fully aware without thinking. Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that there is an indescribably wonderful, wonderful Life beyond thinking. Know, and not think, is the word.

Thank you,
    Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:09 PM »

Dear Anil,

The yogis say that there is a nadi [psychic center] called Jiva nadi,
or Atma nadi or para nadi.  The Upanishads speak of a center from
which thousands of nadis branch off.  Some locate such a center in the brain and others in other centers.  The details have been spoken of in great detail by Sri Bhagavan in Talk No. 616. 

Heart-Center on the right side of the chest two digits to the right of
midchest is only for the beginners who seek Atma Vichara.  In fact,
Heart is there all over the place like the Space, all pervading.
We are all in the Heart.  The Heart alone is there. It is from which all jivas take birth, get sustained, and then finally dissolve, and this is explained in Verse 2 of Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam. 

For the seekers, for  the initial efforts, Sri Bhagavan speaks about the center on the right side of the chest.  These details are further given in ULLadu Narpadu, Supplement.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 04, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »

The passage of the current from the Heart to the brain is through sushumna.The Upanishads speak of 'Pare leena'. Sri Bhagwan says that sushumna and all such nadis are comprised in 'Para' which is the atma nadi. The name 'Pare leena' itself implies that all nadis must merge into Para. My question was prompted because I read in Talk-58 that yogis believe that the current rising to sahasrara (brain) ends there. But Sri Bhagwan says that this experience is not complete. For Jnana they must come to the Heart. The Heart is the alpha and omega.

After reading your post, I read Talk-616 also. Sri Bhagwan says that samadhi ensues when one concentrates on Sahasrara, but the latent tendencies are not destroyed. So, the yogi must come down from sahasrara to to the Heart through what is called the jivnadi which is the continuation of the Sushumna. Thus the Sushumna is thus a curve.Starting from the solar plexus and rising through the spinal chord, it reaches the brain or Sahasrara and from there it bends down and and ends in the Heart.

Having discussed as above, I wish to say that Sri Bhagwan has assured ( Talk-616) that those who adopts Atma Vichara and seeks the origin of their ego by diving in the Heart need not worry about nadis, the brain, the Sushumna, the paranadi, the kundalini, pranayama or the six centres.

Dear sir, you have mentioned that Heart-centre on the right side of the chest two digits to the right of midchest is only for the beginners. I would rather say that it is for those who have not got rid of the 'I am body' Idea and remain infatuated with the body and the world. Otherwise, how and what those with the body idea search for the Self. So, they are given a tangible and physical location for the Self.

Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 05, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »
Sri Bhagwan says, " To go to Kailash and return is just a new birth. For there the body-idea drops off ".
                                                                                                           Talk-635

But here is the Kailash ?

Sri Bhagwan : Kailash is on the Himalayas: it is the abode of Siva. Whereas this Hill is Siva Himself. All the paraphernalia of His abode must also be where He Himself is.
                                                                                  Talk-143

Sri Paul Brunton : What is the mystery of this Hill ( Sri Arunachala ) ?

Sr Bhagwan : Just as you have said in Secret Egypt, " The mysrery of the pyramid is the mystery of the Self," so also the mystery of this Hill is the mystery of the Self.
                                                                             Talk-143

Any comment ?

Thank you,
   Anil