Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 728143 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »

Dear amiatall,

Bhagavan Ramana used to describe this through three avasthas.
Avastha means change.  What are the changes that Consciousness
is witnessing?  It is witnessing Jiva's wakeful state, swapna and
deep sleep.  But we cannot witness Consciousness.  In deep sleep
also there is Consciousness.  But in deep sleep we do not witness
it, though mind is in suspended animation.  Consciousness gives
sukam, bliss, to the Jiva.  Even this bliss which is of course, temporary, is not experienced by Jiva during deep sleep.  Only
in the morning, we say we had blissful sleep.

Consciousness shines and it illumines the Jiva. Consciousness is
simply IS.  That is why it is called Turiya, beyond, Vaisvanara,
[ a name given symbolically for wakeful state, Taijasa, the dream
state.  Why dream is called Taijasa, light?  Because in swapna,
where there is no light or five senses operating, it is the mind
which gives light to the dreams.  That is why we see dreams, we
see colourful dreams.  Even the born blind is said to listen to sounds in his dream, since the mind is there but the eyes cannot see.
The third state is Prajna, again symbolic of consciousness which is there in deep sleep, minus body and mind, but it gives awareness by means of making one enjoy the sukam.

Then there is the fourth state, Turiya.  Actually it is said Turiya which is literally the fourth state. But it is not fourth state, it is beyond, three states, the transcendental state.  A person who has attained Brahma Jnana is every in this state.  He is wakeful even in sleep.  He is sleeping in the wakeful state. He is sleeping in sleepless state!  This is Sukam.

Bhagavan Ramana says in Verse 37 of Sri AAMM:

If I slumber in quiet repose enjoying the Bliss of Being, what other
moksha is there, O Arunachala!

The transcendental state is Moksha, it is the Bliss of Being.  It is
simply Is.  It cannot be witnessed by anything else.  It is all
experiential.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 09:01:42 AM »
 Dear Sri amiatall,

I have seldom seen so much clarity brought about upon the subject
 under discussion as Sri Subramanian ji has done in the above post.
 We will remain indebted to him.

Dear Sri amiatall, 'Consciousness is' as 'I am'. When 'Consciousness is' or 'I am', I am not Anil or amiatall or
 i,you,or
 he, she etc to say even 'I am'.When I am Anil or amitall, I do not palpably experience 'I am'. How beautifully,
 by the simile of sleep, Sri Subramanian ji has made it easy to grasp. Please see:

" Even this bliss which is of course, temporary, is not experienced by jiva during deep sleep. Only in the
   morning, we say we had blissful sleep."

Thank you,
                                                                                  Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »

How Consciousness reveals itself?  It is no doubt, ever there in
every living being.  But only for those who have understood and
convinced that the world, jiva are unreal, it reveals itself as Real.
Then one becomes the Reality.

This revelation does not require scriptural reading. It needs only
inquiry into one's real nature, intense desire for the Self, and a Guru's grace.  Bhagavan Ramana says in Verse 40 of Sri AAMM:

With no knowledge and with only blind desire for you, I have
begun the quest and am tired.  To end this weariness, give me the
clear knowledge to carry on the quest, O Arunachala.

In Verse 42, again He says:

You are beyond the knowledge of all tattvas, all philosophies.
You are only this, the Truth at once and transcendent and immanent,
you are my Arunachala.

In Verse 43 again He says:

You are the sole Reality, O Arunachala, Reveal Yourself as such.

In Verse 44, He says:

How is it, O Arunachala, You told me, 'Turn within and look and ever seek the Self with the inner eye and you will see it."?

In Verse 45, He says:

Faint-hearted though my search was, I have, by your grace, attained the Self, O Arunachala!

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
 Dear Sri Subramanian Ji,

Thank you so much, Sir, for a very exhilarative post and for reminding us that
 so long as the world is taken as real, knowledge of the 'Substratum' i.e. Self
 can not be gained. Besides, your affirmation that neither scriptural knowledge
 nor an exceptionally strong heart are prerequisite for Self-Realization is not less
 exhilarative.

With Regards,

Anil

amiatall

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 09:12:20 PM »
Yes, Subramanian.R always elucidates the facts and that is very helpful. Thank you.

Dear Sri amiatall, 'Consciousness is' as 'I am'. When 'Consciousness is' or 'I am', I am not Anil or amiatall or
 i,you,or he, she etc to say even 'I am'.When I am Anil or amitall, I do not palpably experience 'I am'.

Am I reading it wrong or is there an implication that there is something in You which at one time experiences 'I AM' and at other time do not palpably experience 'I AM'?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »
 Dear Devotees,

Nothing is real except our own Self. Nothing to worry and be anxious about . No real reason to be elated and
 joyful about either.All our desires and wishes,all our plans, all our ambitions, all our actions, all our discussions and
 arguments,all our cravings, all our difficulties, all our losses and gains, all our achievements and failures, etc. that
 is all, that rule us in this relative and illusory world are mere thoughts or thought oriented. All system of forms
 are mere appearances on our own being.

Thoughts, thoughts and only thoughts are they all. Dear Devotees, are they not? From waking to sleep, our
 thought tortured mind no respite from them ever. A thought rises, has its stay till another thought takes its
 place. Sri Bhagwan says that these very thoughts veil our true nature as Self or as Existence, Consciousness
 and Bliss. WE are now also aware, by the Grace of Sri Bhagwan, that all these thoughts are for the thinker
 only.

Sri Bhagwan, out of compassion for us, manufactured and gave us the holistic Self-enquiry to cut these very
 thoughts including the I-thought at the roots i.e.the Source.There are twin divine and unfailing swords
 in the armoury  of the Self-enquiry.

Divine Sword No  1
 Who am I?
 When we raise 'Who am I' question, it is bound to cut all thoughts connected with the I- thought or the thinker  at the root and result in instantaneous Self- attention.Attention reverts back to the thinker from the general thoughts connected with it.This is how general thoughts are to be dealt with.

Divine Sword No  2
 Whence Am I ?
 When the thinker is thus held, it is time to resort to the second divine sword. When we raise 'Whence Am  I'
 question, seeking keenly its Source, it gradually merges in the Source i.e. Self. Once the Taste of Bliss Supreme
 is savoured, It exerts a very powerful magnetic pull to the mind and the mind then seeking its Source ever
 to savour the same Taste irrevocably merge in the Self.

Sri Bhagwan says, " The 'I' casts off the illusion of 'I' and yet remains as 'I'. Such is the paradox Self-Realization."

Thank you

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »
  There is only one real impostor in the true sense and that need not be looked for elsewhere but that is
 our ego or the thinker. It is such a well seasoned rogue that it bandies around about all pervading
 Self to be itself. It hankers after the name, fame and wealth of all sorts. It abhors sorrows and exults in pleasures
 and joys. It knows no contentment. It enjoys pampering and feels self important. It goes on throwing its weight
 around. It is covetous and arrogates to itself whatever suits it.

Who is it that deprives us from knowing our true being as Existence, Consciousness and Bliss ?
 If we are convinced about our real nature as Bliss Itself, why tolerate the 'raison d'etre' for all our woes
 which perpetuates our miserable lives in this mind projected world of the phenomena. Perhaps we lack in
 conviction.  Sri Ram Krishana Param Hans used to narrate a story in which a thief sleeps soundly
 in a room unaware that in the adjacent room lies a hidden treasure. Knowing this, can the thief sleep at all?
 No way.

What is this feeling of 'I' ?
 Who am I?
 Whence am I ?

Dear devotees, this 'I' holds sovereign power so long as a proper enquiry is not afoot. When an earnest enquiry
 is set up, it takes to flight like the impostor in the marriage party.

There is no doubt that 'Who am I' question ends the suzerainty of the connected thoughts and
 'Whence am I' question reins in and merges the sovereign thinker himself in the Source from where it daily
 rises on waking  and where it daily rests in sleep.

Thank you
                                                                            Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »
  Dear devotees, a passage from the Mountain Path is quoted. I feel that the content of the passage is of the
 paramount importance to those who practice Self-enquiry. I myself became gradually enamoured with it.

" If one's discrimination is clear and sharp and if one has the innermost feeling that one's suffering has no end on
 the individual level and that there is no way in which we can go beyond the ego if we use the mind, then the
 method of enquiry can take an altogether different turn. When we first try the method of Self-enquiry, asking
 ourselves 'Who am I ?' this because of our trust in Bhagwan or the scriptures. This means that our enquiry
 does not arise from our own existential doubt about our identity. It merely parrots what is actually Ramana's
 question or someone else's question. But until the question 'Who am I ? What am I ?' becomes our own question,
 burning and all-consuming, arising from our own existential experience of our helplessness and desperate seeking,
 until then we will not be practicing Self-enquiry.Because it is only when we are totally consumed by this
 investigation, this search for our true nature ,that we will experience the profound power of this method.
 We will then experience Self-enquiry as a state of deep stillness that has the capacity to cut off the very
 root of our habitual, unconscious, thinking pattern. Enquiry that does not arise from our own existential
 insecurity, anxiety and despair is merely a repetitive exercise that ends up becoming dry and monotonous, or
 inducing sleep. It is not the Path Bhagwan taught, which wakes us up to our ever-existing real nature.

The question 'Who am I ?' must arise spontaneously and naturally. Without genuine doubt as to one's true
 nature, self-questioning becomes mechanical and dry. "

Thank you,
                                                                  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »
 However, elsewhere in the same article, the author writes as a concession,

" And I do not mean that we should not try to do Self-enquiry when we feel no existential doubt.
 Irrespective of whether our Self-enquiry arises naturally or not, we should subdue all thoughts,
 without thinking about any thing, and enquire 'Who am I ?' Eventually genuine self-questioning
 will arise, and with it will come an experience of profound peace that is spontaneous. Through practicing
 in this way one automatically enters a mode of being where Self-enquiry - the investigation
 of the ego-mind arises naturally again and again, repeatedly bringing an experience of deep sleep.
 Through practice one gets addicted to this dynamic peace which is one's own true nature."

Author-Swami Madhurananda,
                                                                                                    April-JUly 2006
                                                                                                     Mountain Path

Thank you
                                                                           Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
  Dear devotees, I am sorry but in the second line from the
 last line in the above post it should be read, "....repeatedly bringing an experience of deep peace. "

Thank you
                                          Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
  yes, it will not be difficult to infer that there will be vast difference between the enquiry when it arises from
 the existential doubt and when it is merely a repetitive exercise that ends up becoming dry and monotonous.

Moreover, it is essential that we should have the absolute conviction that there is no answer to the
  question 'Who am I ?' on the level of the thinker and his thoughts or at the level of the empirical realities.
  Since any answer that arises from the intellect must be utterly false. Swami Madhurananda says that
  if one thinks one knows the answer, enquiry comes to an end then and there, because the mind, instead of
  becoming still, is filled with thoughts. Yes, I feel that total attention should remain only on the ego or the
  thinker. Any solution suggested by the ego is a  thought only; be it the watching consciousness or the
  witnessing consciousness.

Thank you
                                                                                        Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2010, 08:01:42 AM »

Sri Bhagwan said:

" Born of forms
    Feeding on forms, ever changing its form
    Itself formless, this ego-ghost
    takes to its heels on enquiry. "

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2010, 08:10:21 AM »

Dear Anil,

The question may become answerless immediately [15 minutes in
the case of Bhagavan Ramana] or it may become answerless after
several births.  The moment it becomes answerless, it becomes
Jnana Vicharam and Jnana Bodham.

In Upadesa Saram, Verse 19,  Bhagavan Ramana says:

The Place where this "I" thought arises, what and whence?  Thus
when one seeks to find within, the "I" thought without rising will
lay down its head and die.  This is the quest of wisdom. [Jnana
Vicharam].

Again in Verse 20, He says:

In the place where the thought of ego as "I" non-dually merges as
"I", "I", that thing with awareness of Being, spontaneously on its own
without effort, shining, appears.  Shining by Its very nature, that is the
Infinite, all-full, [Poornam], Supreme Being.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »
 Dear Sri Subramanian Ji

Thank you so much for giving us the verse no  20 of the Upadesa Saram
  in a very beautiful manner of interpretation, as " ...........the thought of ego as 'I'
  non-dually merges as 'I', 'I'...". Dear Sir, can it be said like this that at the point of merging
  the consciousness part of the ego merges with the Absolute Consciousness
  and the insentient part, merely being an idea or a thought, simply vanishes
  or disappear ?

With Regards,

Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »

Dear Anil,

Permanently abiding in egoless state is liberation, says the last
verse of Sad Darsanam. 

Arunachala Siva.