Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1172643 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5805 on: March 02, 2019, 09:08:19 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  To introvert the mind is the prime thing. The Buddhists consider the flow of 'I- thought to be Liberation; whereas we say that such flow proceeds from its underlying substratum - the only - Reality.

Why should one be meditating 'I am Brahman?' Only the annihilation of 'I' is Liberation. But it can be gained only by keeping the 'I-I' always in view. So the need for the investigation of the 'I'-thought. If the 'I' is not let go, no blank can result to the seeker. Otherwise meditation will end in sleep.

There is only one 'I' all along, but what arises up from time to time is the mistaken 'I'-thought; whereas the intuitive 'I' always remains Self-shining, i.e., even before it becomes manifest.
T--139

Photograph: Sri Ramana Maha Lingam
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:12:45 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: March 03, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: What is body-consciousness? Tell us that first. Who are you apart from consciousness? Body is found because there is body-consciousness which arises from 'I-consciousness' which again rises from consciousness.

Consciousness → 'I-consciousness' → body-consciousness →body.

There is always consciousness and nothing but that. What you are now considering to be body-consciousness is due to superimposition. If there is only consciousness and nothing but it, the meaning of the Scripture Atmanastu kamaya sarvam priyam bhavati - (All are dear because of the love of the Self) becomes clear.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: March 04, 2019, 08:23:38 AM »
In answer to a visitor Bhagavan made the following remarks:

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: "You can have, or rather you will yourself be, the highest imaginable kind of happiness. All other kinds of happiness which you have spoken of as 'pleasure', 'joy', 'happiness', 'bliss' are only reflections of the ananda which, in your true nature, you are."
"You need not bother about the lights which you say you see around things and people. Whether lights are seen or sounds are heard or whatever may happen, never let go the enquiry 'Who am I?' Keep on asking inwardly: 'Who sees these lights or hears these sounds?'"

"What do you mean by taking sannyasa? Do you think it means leaving your home or wearing robes of a certain colour? Wherever you go, even if you fly up into the air, will your mind not go with you? Or can you leave it behind you and go without it?"
Day By Day With Bhagavan

Photograph: Sri Ramana Maha Lingam, Sri Ramanasramam
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:32:10 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: March 04, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »
Devotee: Divya chakshuh (Divine Sight) is necessary to see the glory of God. This physical eye is the ordinary chakshuh.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Oh! I see. You want to see million-sun-splendour and the rest of it!

Devotee: Can we not see the glory as million-sun-splendour?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Can you see the single sun? Why do you ask for millions of suns?

Devotee: It must be possible to do so by divine sight. ?Where the sun shines not, etc. That is My Supreme abode?. Therefore there is a state where this sun is powerless. That state is that of God.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: All right. Find Krishna and the problem is solved.

Devotee: Krishna is not alive.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Is that what you have learnt from the Gita? Does He not say that He is eternal? Of what are you thinking, His body?

Devotee: He taught others while alive. Those around Him must have realised. I seek a similar living Guru.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Is Gita then useless after He withdrew His body? Did He speak of His body as Krishna? Natwewaham jatu nasam ... (Never I was not....)

Devotee: But I want a living Guru who can say the truth first hand.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The fate of the Guru will be similar to the fate of Krishna.
T--336

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: March 04, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: All these are however on the assumption that the jiva (individual self) is separate from the Self or Brahman. But are we separate? 'No', says the Jnani. The ego is simply wrong identity of the Self with the non-self, as in the case of a colourless crystal and its coloured background. The crystal though colourless appears red because of its background. If the background is removed the crystal shines in its original purity. So it is with the Self and the antahkaranas (inner organs).

Still again the illustration is not quite appropriate. For the ego has its source from the Self and is not separate like the background from the crystal. Having its source from the Self, the ego must only be retraced in order that it might merge in its source. The centre of the ego and its core is called the Heart, the same as the Self.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #5810 on: March 05, 2019, 07:07:16 AM »
ramble on ... on and on and on and on .....
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: March 05, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »
Question: What is the nature of the Self?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: What exists in truth is the Self alone. The world, the individual soul and God are appearances in it. Like silver in mother-of-pearl, these three appear at the same time and disappear at the same time. The Self is that where there is absolutely no 'I-thought'. That is called 'Silence'. The Self itself is the world; the Self  itself is 'I'; the Self itself is God; all is Siva, the Self.

Who Am I?

Question: What is the sign of wisdom (viveka)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Its beauty lies in remaining free from delusion after realising the truth once. There is fear only for one who sees even a slight difference in the Supreme Brahman. So long as there is the idea that the body is the Self one cannot be a realizer of truth whoever he might be.
Spiritual Instruction

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:47:32 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: March 05, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »
Dear Sri Beloved Abstract, yes, this is questing which you termed as rambling. Anyway--who is it who feels so troubled?
Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: March 05, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
K.M. Jivrajani: I sometimes concentrate on the brain centre and sometimes on the heart--not always on the same centre. Is that wrong?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: Wherever you concentrate and on whatever centre there must be a you to concentrate, and that is what you must concentrate on. Different people concentrate on different centres, not only the brain and the heart but also the space between the eyebrows, the tip of the nose, the tip of the tongue, the lowermost chakra and even external objects. Such concentration may lead to a sort of laya in which you will feel a certain bliss, but care must be taken not to lose the thought 'I Am' in all this. You never cease to exist in all these experiences.

K.M. Jivrajani: That is to say that I must be a witness?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: Talking of the 'witness' should not lead to the idea that there is a witness and something else apart from him that he is witnessing. The 'witness' really means the light that illumines the seer, the seen and the process of seeing. Before, during and after the triads of seer, seen and seeing, the illumination exists. It alone exists always.

Day By Day With Bhagavan
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:29:11 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: March 05, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »
Question: It is cruel of God's leela (play) to make the knowledge of the Self so hard.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Knowing the Self is being the Self, and being means existence, one's own existence. No one denies one's existence any more than one denies one's eyes, although one cannot see them. The trouble lies with your desire to objectify the Self, in the same way as you objectify your eyes when you place a mirror before them. You have been so accustomed to objectivity that you have lost the knowledge of yourself, simply because the Self cannot be objectified. Who is to know the Self ? Can the insentient body know it? All the time you speak and think of your `I', yet when questioned you deny knowledge of it. You are the Self, yet you ask how to know the Self. Where then is God's leela (play) and where is its cruelty? Because of this denial of the Self by people the sastras (scriptures) speak of maya, leela, etc.
Be As You Are

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: March 06, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
Devotee: Bhagavan always speaks from the highest standpoint.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: (with a smile): People would not understand the simple and bare truth - the truth of their every day, ever-present and eternal experience. That Truth is that of the Self. Is there anyone not aware of the Self? They would not even like to hear it (the Self), whereas they are eager to know what lies beyond - heaven, hell, reincarnation. Because they love mystery and not the bare truth, religions pamper them - only to bring them round to the Self. Wandering hither and thither you must return to the Self only. Then, why not abide in the Self even here and now?

The other worlds require the Self as a spectator or speculator. Their reality is only of the same degrees as that of the spectator or thinker. They cannot exist without the spectator, etc. Therefore they are not different from the Self. Even the ignorant man sees only the Self when he sees objects. But he is confused and identifies the Self with the object, i.e., the body and with the senses and plays in the world. Subject and object - all merge in the Self. There is no seer nor objects seen. The seer and the seen are the Self. There are not many selves either. All are only one Self.
T--145

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: March 06, 2019, 11:35:54 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: "All thoughts are inconsistent with Realization. The right thing to do is to exclude thoughts of oneself and all other thoughts. Thought is one thing and Realization is quite another."

Sri Arthur Osborne: There is no answer to the Who-am-I question. There can be no answer, for it is dissolving the I-thought, which is the parent of all other thoughts, and piercing beyond to the stillness where thought is not.

Sri Bhagwan: "Suggestive replies to the enquiry, such as Sivoham (I am Siva) are not to be given to the mind during meditation. The true answer will come of itself. No answer the ego can give can be right."

Sri Osborne: The answer is the awakening current of awareness mentioned at the end of Chapter One, vibrating as the very essence of one's being and yet impersonal. By constant practice this is to be made more and more frequent until it becomes continuous, not only during mediation but underlying speech and action also. Even then the vichara is still to be used, for the ego will try to make a truce with the current of awareness and if it is once tolerated it will gradually grow to power and then fight to recover supremacy, like the Gentiles whom the Hebrews allowed to remain in the Promised Land. Sri Bhagavan insisted (for instance, in his replies to Sivaprakasam Pillai) that the enquiry is to be kept up to the very end. Whatever states, whatever powers, whatever perceptions or visions may come, there is always the question of to whom they come until the Self alone remains.

Source: Ramana Maharshi And the Path of Self-Knowledge

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:42:01 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: March 06, 2019, 12:00:19 PM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:

The teaching of Sri Bhagavan was intensely practical. He expounded theory only in answer to the specific needs and questions of devotees and as a necessary basis for practice. When reminded once (in Maharshi's Gospel) that the Buddha had refused to answer questions about God, He replied with approval:

"In fact the Buddha was more concerned with directing the seeker to realize Bliss here and now than with academic discussions about God and so forth."

So also, He himself would often refuse to gratify curiosity, turning the questioner instead to the need for sadhana or effort. Asked about the posthumous state of man, He might reply:

"Why do you want to know what you will be when you die before you know what you are now? First find out what you are now."

A man is now and eternally the deathless Self behind this and every other life, but to be told so or to believe it is not enough; it is necessary to strive to realize it. Similarly, if asked about God He might reply:

"Why do you want to know about God before you know yourself? First find out what you are."

Ramana Maharshi And the Path of Self-Knowledge

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: March 07, 2019, 08:40:24 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi:
He who dedicates his mind to Thee and, seeing Thee, always beholds the universe as Thy form, who at all times glorifies Thee and loves Thee as none other than the Self, he is the Master without peer, being one with Thee, Oh Arunachala! and lost in Thy Bliss.
Stanza-5, Sri Arunachala Panchratna

If Self has form, the world and God likewise have form. If Self is without form, by whom and how can form (of world and God) be seen? Without the eye, can there be sight or spectacle? The Self, the real Eye, is infinite.
Verse-4, Forty Verses On That Which Is

Mr. Nanavati of Bombay asked Bhagavan, "In the fifth stanza of Arunachala Pancharatna reference is made to seeing ?Your form in everything?. What is the form referred to?"

Bhagavan  Sri Ramana said, "The stanza says that one should completely surrender one's mind, turn it inwards and see 'you' the Self within and then see the Self in 'you' in everything. It is only after seeing the Self within that one will be able to see the Self in everything. One must first realise there is nothing but the Self and that he is that Self, and then only he can see everything as the form of the Self. That is the meaning of saying, 'See the Self in everything and everything in the Self', as is stated in the Gita and other books. It is the same truth that is taught in stanza 4 of the Reality in Forty Verses. If you have the idea that you are something with form, that you are limited by this body, and that being within this body you have to see through these eyes, God and the world also will appear to you as form. If you realise you are without form, that you are unlimited, that you alone exist, that you are the eye, the infinite eye, what is there to be seen apart from the infinite eye? Apart from the eye, there is nothing to be seen. There must be a seer for an object to be seen, and there must be space, time, etc. But if the Self alone exists, it is both seer and seen, and above seeing or being seen."
18-4-46 Afternoon, Day By Day with Bhagavan

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:43:09 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: March 07, 2019, 11:25:06 AM »
Devotee: So, it is wrong to begin with a goal: is it?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: If there be a goal to be reached it cannot be permanent. The goal must already be there. We seek to reach the goal with the ego, but the goal exists before the ego. What is in the goal is even prior to our birth, i.e., to the birth of the ego. Because we exist the ego appears to exist too.

If we look on the Self as the ego then we become the ego, if as the mind we become the mind, if as the body we become the body. It is the thought which builds up sheaths in so many ways. The shadow on the water is found to be shaking. Can anyone stop the shaking of the shadow? If it should cease to shake you would not notice the water but only the light. Similarly to take no notice of the ego and its activities, but see only the light behind. The ego is the I-thought. The true 'I' is the Self.

Devotee: It is one step to realisation.

BHagwan Sri Ramana: Realisation is already there. The state free from thoughts is the only real state. There is no such action as Realisation. Is there anyone who is not realising the Self? Does anyone deny his own existence? Speaking of realisation, it implies two selves - the one to realise, the other to be realised. What is not already realised, is sought to be realised. Once we admit our existence, how is it that we do not know our Self?
T--146