Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1137066 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5790 on: February 24, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The ultimate Truth is so simple. It is nothing more than being in the pristine state. This is all that need be said. Still, it is a wonder that to teach this simple Truth there should come into being so many religions, creeds, methods and disputes
among them and so on! Oh the pity! Oh the pity!

Maj. Chadwick: But people will not be content with simplicity; they want complexity.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Quite so. Because they want something elaborate and attractive and puzzling, so many religions have come into existence and each of them is so complex and each creed in each religion has its own adherents and antagonists.
For example, an ordinary Christian will not be satisfied unless he is told that God is somewhere in the far-off Heavens not to be reached by us unaided. Christ alone knew Him and Christ alone can guide us. Worship Christ and be saved. If told the simple truth - "The
Kingdom of Heaven is within you" - he is not satisfied and will read complex and far-fetched meanings in such statements. Mature minds alone can grasp the simple Truth in all its nakedness.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: February 24, 2019, 11:37:42 AM »
Question: Meditation is more direct than investigation because the former holds on to the truth whereas the latter sifts the truth from the untruth.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: For the beginner meditation on a form is more easy and agreeable. Practice of it leads to self-enquiry which consists in sifting the reality from unreality. What is the use of holding on to truth when you are filled with antagonistic factors? Self-enquiry directly leads to realization by removing the obstacles which make you think that the Self is not already realized. Meditation differs according to the degree of advancement of the seeker. If one is fit for it one might directly hold on to the thinker, and the thinker will then automatically sink into his source, pure consciousness. If one cannot directly hold on to the thinker one must meditate on God and in due course the same individual will have become sufficiently pure to hold on to the thinker and to sink into absolute being.
Meditation is possible only if the ego is kept up. There is the ego and the object meditated upon. The method is therefore indirect because the Self is only one. Seeking the ego, that is its source, the ego disappears. What is left over is the Self. This method is the direct one.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: February 24, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »
Sri Annamali Swami:

About ten days after my arrival I asked Bhagavan how I could attain Self-realisation? He replied, "If you give up identifying with the body and meditate on the Self, you can attain Self-realisation." As I was pondering over these remarks, Bhagavan surprised me by saying, "I was waiting for you. I was wondering when you would come." As a new comer I was too afraid to ask Him how He knew, or how long He had been waiting. But I was delighted to hear Him speak like this because it seemed to indicate that it was my destiny to stay with Him.

A few days later I asked, "Scientists have invented and produced the aircraft which can travel at great speeds in the sky. Why do you not give us a spiritual aircraft in which we can quickly and easily cross over the sea of samsara (world)?" Bhagavan replied, "The path of self-enquiry is the aircraft you need. It is direct, fast, and easy to use. You are already travelling very quickly towards realisation. It is only because of your mind that it seems that there is no movement."

In the years that followed, I had many spiritual talks with Bhagavan but His basic message never changed. It was always: "Do self-enquiry, stop identifying with the body and try to be aware of the Self, which is your real nature."

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:44:29 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: February 25, 2019, 09:09:12 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: "It is possible to perform all the activities of life with detachment and regard only the Self as real. It is wrong to suppose that if one is fixed in the Self one?s duties in life will not be properly performed. It is like an actor. He dresses and acts and even feels the part he is playing, but he knows really that he is not that character but someone else in real life. In the same way, why should the body-consciousness or the feeling 'I-am-the-body' disturb you once you know for certain that you are not the body but the Self? Nothing that the body does should shake you from abidance in the Self. Such abidance will never interfere with the proper and effective discharge of whatever duties the body has, any more than the actor's being aware of his real status in life interferes with his acting a part on the stage."

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: February 26, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Unbroken 'I-I' is the ocean infinite, the ego, 'I'-thought, remains only a bubble on it and is called jiva, i.e., individual soul. The bubble too is water; when it bursts it only mixes in the ocean. When it remains a bubble it is still a part of the ocean. Ignorant of this simple truth, innumerable methods under different denominations, such as yoga, bhakti, karma....... each again with many modifications, are being taught with great skill and in intricate detail only to entice the seekers and confuse their minds. So also are the religions and sects and dogmas. What are they all for? Only for knowing the Self. They are aids and practices required for knowing the Self.

Objects perceived by the senses are spoken of as immediate knowledge (pratyaksha). Can anything be as direct as the Self - always experienced without the aid of the senses? Sense-perceptions can only be indirect knowledge, and not direct knowledge. Only one?s own awareness is direct knowledge, as is the common experience of one and all. No aids are needed to know one?s own Self, i.e., to be aware.

The one Infinite Unbroken Whole (plenum) becomes aware of itself as 'I'. This is its original name. All other names, e.g., OM,
are later growths. Liberation is only to remain aware of the Self. The mahavakya 'I am Brahman (Self)' is its authority. Though the 'I' is always experienced, yet one's attention has to be drawn to it. Only then does knowledge dawn. Thus the need for the instruction of the Upanishads and of wise sages.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:52:31 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: February 26, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai: How long should one go on with this enquiry?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: As long as there is the least trace of tendencies in your mind to cause thoughts. So long as the enemy occupy a citadel they will keep on making sorties. If you kill each one as he comes out, the citadel will fall to you in the end. Similarly, each time a thought rears its head crush it with this enquiry. To crush out all thoughts at their source is called vairagya (dispassion). So vichara (Self-enquiry) continues to be necessary until the Self is realized. What is required is continuous and uninterrupted remembrance of the Self.

Dear devotee, so long as the enemy occupy a citadel they will keep making sorties. Therefore, we must ask and kill the enemy at the very place of their rising until the Self is realized. anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: February 27, 2019, 01:04:14 PM »
Devotee: How do we go to sleep and how do we wake up?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Just at nightfall the hen clucks and the chicks go and hide themselves under her wings. The hen then goes to roost in the nest with the chicks in her protection. At dawn the chicks come out and so does the hen. The mother-hen stands for the ego which collects all the thoughts and goes to sleep. At sunrise the rays emerge forth and are collected again at sunset. Similarly, when the ego displays itself, it does so with all its paraphernalia. When it sinks, everything disappears with it.

Devotee: What does sushupti (sleep) look like?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: In a cloudy dark night no individual identification of objects is possible and there is only dense darkness, although the seer has his eyes wide open; similarly in sushupti (sleep) the seer is aware of simple nescience.

Sri Bhagavan is said to have remarked to an inquisitive person: ?What is the meaning of this talk of truth and falsehood in the world which is itself false??

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: February 27, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
Devotee: How did the ego arise?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Ego is not. Otherwise do you admit of two selves? How can there be avidya (ignorance) in the absence of the ego? If you begin to enquire, the avidya (ignorance) which is already non-existent, will be found not to be or you will say it has fled away.

Ignorance pertains to the ego. Why do you think of the ego and also suffer? What is ignorance again? It is that which is non-existent. However the worldly life requires the hypothesis of avidya (ignorance). Avidya (ignorance) is only our ignorance and nothing more. It is ignorance or forgetfulness of the Self. Can there be darkness before the Sun? Similarly, can there be ignorance before the Self-evident and Self-luminous Self? If you know the Self there will be no darkness, no ignorance and no misery.

It is the mind which feels the trouble, misery, etc. Darkness never comes nor goes. See the Sun and there is no darkness. Similarly, see the Self and avidya (ignorance) will be found not to exist.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: February 27, 2019, 01:22:45 PM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:
Paul Brunton, who arrived more a sceptic than a believer, has given the following account of the first impact the silence of Sri Bhagavan made upon his mind.

"It is an ancient theory of mine that one can take the inventory of a man's soul from his eyes. But before those of the Maharshi I hesitate, puzzled and baffled. . . ......"I cannot turn my gaze away from him. My initial bewilderment, my perplexity at being totally ignored, slowly fade away as this strange fascination begins to grip me more firmly. But it is not till the second hour of the uncommon scene that I become aware of a silent, resistless change which is taking place within my mind. One by one, the questions which I prepared in the train with such meticulous accuracy drop away. For it does not now seem to matter whether they are asked or not, and it does not matter whether I solve the problems which have hitherto troubled me. I know only that a steady river of quietness seems to be flowing near me, that a great peace is penetrating the inner reaches of my being, and that my thought-tortured brain is
beginning to arrive at some rest."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:24:44 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: February 28, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Now that you identify yourself with the body you say that the soul is the light within. You mean that there is light within the body. Think a little and say if the body can raise any questions. It is insentient and cannot say 'I'. Something else says 'I'. What is it? Can it be the Self? The Self is pure and is not aware of any other so as to be able to say 'I'. Who then says 'I'? It is the link between the pure Chit (the Self) and the jada (the body). That is the ego. Who are you now? What is it that is born? The Self is eternal and cannot be born. The body appears and disappears and your identity with it makes you speak of birth and death. See if the true significance of 'I' can ever take birth. For whom is transmigration?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:00:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: February 28, 2019, 12:36:23 PM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:

"A prey to my unsteady mind
I lack patience, I lack constancy, I lack purity.
Forgive the grievous wrong of that poor self,
And do as Thou wilt, Thou who knowest best.
But grant me only ever increasing love
For Thy Feet."

Ultimately, sadhana (spiritual practice) is simply an attack on the ego, and no amount of ecstasy or meditation can carry it to success so long as the ego remains entrenched in hope and fear, ambition and resentment, in any sort of passion or desire. Sri Rama and King Janaka were free from attachment although they lived in the world; the sadhu who tried to roll down rocks on Sri Bhagavan was bound by it although he had renounced the world.

At the same time, this does not mean that mere unselfish action is sufficient without any plan of campaign, for the ego is subtle and tenacious and will take refuge even in those actions that are intended to destroy it, taking pride in humility or enjoying austerity.

Self-enquiry in daily activity, asking oneself to whom any thought occurs, is a plan of campaign and a very potent one. It may not seem so when applied to an unemotional thought, say to one's opinion of a book or a film; but applied to an emotional thought it has terrific potency and strikes at the very root of the passions. One has been hurt and feels resentment -- who is hurt or resentful? Who is pleased or despondent, angry or triumphant? One falls into daydreaming or visualise possible triumphs and thus inflates the ego as powerfully as meditation deflates it; and at such a moment it requires strength and alertness to draw the sword of vichara and cut through the entanglement.
In the activities of life also, Sri Bhagavan enjoined surrender and submission to the Divine Will side by side with vichara. He compared a person who thought he was bearing his own burdens and responsibilities to a passenger in a train who insists on carrying his luggage even though the train is taking it along just the same and a wiser passenger puts it on the rack and sits back comfortably. All the injunctions and examples he gave converge on the one point of weakening self-interest and assailing the I am-the-doer illusion.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:38:12 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: February 28, 2019, 12:39:50 PM »
One day Bhagavan Sri Ramana said, "Why do you think that you are the doer? It is absurd, as it is obvious that 'I' does nothing. 'I' is always the witness. Concentrate on being the witness and let things take their course, they will go on anyhow, you cannot prevent them."
Bhagavan Sri Ramana: "Don't worry about what other people are doing or saying, you have quite enough to do in worrying about yourself. First reform yourself and then it will be time enough to think about the world. How can you help the world until you have helped yourself?"

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: March 01, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
Sri Paul BRUNTON: You mean that it is possible to conduct such a mental investigation into oneself?

Bhagwan SRI RAMANA: Certainly. It is possible to go inwards until the last thought, 'I', gradually vanishes.

Sri Paul BRUNTON: What is then left? Will a man then become quite unconscious or will he become an idiot?

Bhagwan SRI RAMANA: No; on the contrary, he will attain that consciousness which is immortal and he will become truly wise when he has awakened to his true Self, which is the real nature of man.

Sri Paul BRUNTON: But surely the sense of 'I' must also pertain to that?

Bhagwan SRI RAMANA: The sense of 'I' pertains to the person, the body and brain. When a man knows his true Self for the first time something else arises from the depths of his being and takes possession of him. That something is behind the mind; it is infinite, divine, eternal. Some people call it the Kingdom of Heaven, others call it the soul and others again Nirvana, and Hindus call it Liberation; you may give it what name you wish. When this happens a man has not really lost himself; rather he has found himself.
Unless and until a man embarks on this quest of the true Self, doubt and uncertainty will follow his footsteps through life. The greatest kings and statesmen try to rule others when in their heart of hearts they know that they cannot rule themselves. Yet the greatest power is at the command of the man who has penetrated to his inmost depth. . . . What is the use of knowing about everything else when you do not yet know who you are? Men avoid this enquiry into the true Self, but what else is there so worthy to be undertaken?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:56:25 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: March 01, 2019, 12:23:09 PM »
Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai: Is not this world and what takes place therein the result of God's will? And if so why should God will thus?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: God has no purpose. He is not bound by any action. The world's activities cannot affect Him. Take the analogy of the sun. The sun rises without desire, purpose or effort, but as soon as it rises numerous activities take place on earth: the lens placed in its rays produces fire in its focus, the lotus bud opens, water evaporates, and every living creature enters upon activity, maintains it, and finally drops it. But the sun is not affected by any such activity, as it merely acts according to its nature, by fixed laws, without
any purpose, and is only a witness. So it is with God. Or take the analogy of space or ether. Earth, water, fire and air are all in it and have their modifications in it, yet none of these affects ether or space. It is the same with God. God has no desire or purpose in His acts of creation, maintenance destruction, withdrawal and salvation to which beings are subjected. As the beings reap the fruit of their actions in accordance with His laws, the responsibility is theirs, not God's. God is not bound by any actions.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: March 01, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »
Major Chadwick: Bhagavan says he has no disciples?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes.

Major Chadwick: He also says that a Guru is necessary if one wishes to attain Liberation?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Yes.

Major Chadwick: What then must I do? Has my sitting here all these years been just a waste of time? Must I go and look for some Guru in order to receive initiation seeing that Bhagavan says he is not a Guru?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: What do you think brought you here such a long distance and made you remain so long? Why do you doubt? If there had been any need to seek a Guru elsewhere you would have gone away long ago.

Major Chadwick: Then Bhagavan does have disciples!

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: As I said, from Bhagavan's point of view there are no disciples; but from that of the disciple the Grace of the Guru is like an ocean. If he comes with a cup he will only get a cupful. It is no use complaining of the niggardliness of the ocean; the bigger the vessel the more he will be able to carry. It is entirely up to him.

Major Chadwick: Then to know whether Bhagavan is my Guru or not is just a matter of faith, if Bhagavan will not admit it.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: (Sitting straight up, turning to the interpreter and speaking with great emphasis). Ask him, does he want me to give him a written document?