Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1017105 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5700 on: January 22, 2019, 08:16:45 AM »
Devotee: Then what is true devotion (Bhakti)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Whatever I do or consider myself doing is really the Lord's doing. Nothing really belongs to me. I am here for the service of the Lord. This spirit of service really is devotion supreme and the true devotee sees the Supreme Being as the Lord immanent in everything. Worship of Him by name and form leads one beyond all name and form. Devotion Complete culminates in Knowledge Supreme. Even when Bhakti or devotion, is actuated by worldly desires in the beginning, it does not cease when the desires: are fulfilled. It increases by an unshakable faith growing perfectly into a supreme State of Realization.

Devotee. Then what is the path of Jnana (Knowledge)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Stripped of the ego he establishes himself naturally in supreme Self-awareness.

Devotee. How can we say that both Bhakti (devotion) and Jnana (Knowledge) lead to the same goal?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Why not? Both paths lead you to a state of supreme Peace, Mounam (Silence of the Self), that passeth all understanding.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: January 22, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »
REJECTION OF THOUGHTS

Devotee:  But you have often said that one must reject other thoughts when he begins the quest, but the thoughts  are endless ; if one thought is rejected, another comes and there seems to be no end at all.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  I do not say that you must go on rejecting thoughts. If you cling to yourself, say the I-thought, and when your interest keeps you to that single idea other thoughts get rejected, automatically they vanish.

Devotee:  And so rejection of thoughts is not necessary ?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: No. It may be necessary for a time or for some.  You fancy that there is no end if one goes on rejecting every thought when it rises. No, there is an end. If you are vigilant, and make a stern effort to reject every thought when it rises, you will soon find that you are going deeper and deeper into your own inner self, where there is no need for your effort to reject the thoughts.

Devotee: Then it is possible to be without effort, without strain!

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Not only that, it is impossible for you to make an effort beyond a certain extent. 

Devotee:  I want to be further enlightened. Should I try to make no effort at all?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  Here it is impossible for you to be without effort.  When you go deeper, it is impossible for you to make any effort.

Dear Devotees,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that rejecting thoughts as and when they arise may only be a steeping-stone. But real Vichara or the Enquiry begins only when one us already off the mental movement or the thought-waves.  Therefore, we must understand that real Vichara or the Enquiry is not intellectual, it is the Anthara Vichara, the Inner Quest, and that's Dhyana (meditation).  Sri Bhagwan says that sticking to existence-consciousness 'I Am' unassailed by thoughts is the practice (sadhana or abhyasa), for one remains vigilant or watchful with effort. Yet, Sri Bhagwan has assured that,  with perseverance, the CONDITION grows intenser and deeper  and a stage comes when our effort and all responsibilities  are taken away from us. That, Sri Bhagwan says, is the AROODHA OR SIDDHI STATE (the State of Realization).

Pranam,
 Anil
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:51:46 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: January 22, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »
Devotee: Are my present qualities of faith, humility and surrender sufficiently intense, or are they still very imperfect and requiring further development? If so, how can I quickly develop them to perfection so as to deserve Grace and early success in the realization of Atman, or in the annihilation of the ego?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi:  Do not entertain such thoughts of imperfection, lack of qualities etc. You are already perfect. Get rid of the ideas of imperfection and need for development. There is nothing to realize or annihilate. You are the Self. The ego does not exist. Pursue the Enquiry and see if there is anything to be realized or annihilated. See if there is any mind to be controlled. Even the effort is being made by the mind which does not exist.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: January 23, 2019, 08:29:17 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi:  You can feel yourself one with the One that exists: the whole body becomes a mere power, a force-current: your life becomes a needle drawn to a huge mass of magnet and as you go deeper and deeper, you become a mere centre and then not even that, for you become a mere consciousness, there are no thoughts or cares any longer they were shattered at the threshold; it is an inundation ; you, a mere straw, you are swallowed alive, but it is very delightful, for you become the very thing that swallows you ; this is the union of Jeeva (individual soul), with Brahman, the loss of ego in the real Self, the destruction of falsehood, the attainment of Truth.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: January 23, 2019, 11:55:53 AM »
I declare with certainty that even when the mind is extinguished and is no more functioning in the form of thoughts, there still exists a Reality ('I Am') as the abode of Jnanananda [the bliss of true Knowledge], which was (previously) hiding (as 'I am this body') as though it were limited by time and space.
V. 924, Guru Vachaka Kovai

The one which is ever-attained (nitya-siddha) and which shines pervading everywhere devoid of (the differences such as) 'now' or 'then', 'here' or 'there', 'existing' or 'not existing', is the pure Siva.
V. 925, Guru Vachaka Kovai

Sri Sadhu Om: Here Sri Bhagavan asserts that even after the annihilation of the first thought which was shining all this time as 'I am this body', there does exist a Self shining as Sat-Chit-Ananda (Existence-Consciousness-Bliss), 'I am I'. Some schools of Buddhism say, "Finally there will remain nothing as Self; only a void (suny) will be there". But Sri Bhagavan refutes this wrong belief and emphatically declares from His own experience, "There certainly does exist a reality [Sat-vastu], which is Jnanananda; that state is not a void (sunya) but a perfect Whole(Purna)". Compare here verse 20 of Upadesa Undiyar, "Where 'I' (the ego-self) dies, that One (the real Self) shines forth spontaneously as 'I-I'; that alone is the Whole (Purna)," and Verse 12 of Ulladu Narpadu, "Self is true knowledge; it is not a void (though devoid of all objective knowledge)".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:05:25 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: January 23, 2019, 12:11:02 PM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: If you deny the ego and scorch it by ignoring it, you would become free. If you accept the ego, it will impose limitations on you and throw you into a vain struggle to transcend them.

Sri V. Ganesan: we have, thus, to set aside thought-attention and regain Self-attention. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: January 24, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »
Devotee:  What prevents the infinite, undifferentiated light of Consciousness arising from the Heart from revealing itself to the ajnani (the ignorant)?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Just as water in the pot reflects the enormous sun within the narrow limits of the pot, even so the vasanas or latent tendencies of the mind of the individual, acting as the reflecting medium, catch the all-pervading, infinite light of Consciousness arising from the Heart and present in the form of a reflection the phenomenon called the mind. Seeing only this reflection, the ajnani    (the ignorant) is deluded into the belief that he is a finite being, the jiva.

If the mind becomes introverted through enquiry into the source of aham-vritti ('I'-ness or 'I-Am'-ness), the vasanas (latent tendencies) become extinct, and in the absence of the reflecting medium the phenomenon of reflection, namely, the mind, also disappears being absorbed into the light of the one Reality, the Heart.

This is the sum and substance of all that an aspirant needs to know. What is imperatively required of him is an earnest and one-pointed enquiry into the source of aham-vritti ('I'-ness or 'I-Am'-ness).

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: January 24, 2019, 11:09:13 AM »
Devotee: I am a beginner. How should I start?

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Where are you now? Where is the Goal? What is the distance to be covered? The Self is not somewhere far away to be reached. You are always That. You have only to give up your habit, a long-standing one, of identifying yourself with the non-self. All effort is only for that. By turning the mind outwards, you have been seeing the world, the non-Self. If you turn it inwards you will see the Self.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: January 24, 2019, 11:32:20 AM »
Devotee: Can all of us be unreal and non-existent? Please enlighten me.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Suppose now I ask you to go and wake all those people in the dream and tell them they are not real, how absurd it would be! That is how it is to me. There is nothing but the dreamer, so where does the question of dream people, real or unreal, arise; still more of waking them up and telling them that they are not real? We are all unreal, why do you doubt it? That alone is real. Everything thing is unreal, like dream objects. However, at a certain stage there exists Truth, the Reality, and World, the unreality; and a Jnani?s job is to awaken the ignorant to the fact that what they see and feel is unreal and that the Reality is their own Being. This can be compared to an elephant dreaming of a lion and suddenly waking up and finding that the lion is unreal and that itself alone is real. The elephant is the jiva or individual, the dream  is the unreal world and the lion, the Jnani or Guru. The Guru is the link between the unreal and the Real.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You must exist in order that you may think. You may think these thoughts or other thoughts. The thoughts change but not you. Let go the passing thoughts and hold on to the unchanging Self. The thoughts form your bondage. If they are given up, there is release. The bondage is not external. So no external remedy need be sought for release. It is within your competence to think and thus to get bound or to cease thinking and thus be free.

Devotee: But it is not easy to remain without thinking.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You need not cease thinking. Only think of the root of the thoughts; seek it and find it. The Self shines by itself. When that is found the thoughts cease of their own accord. That is freedom from bondage.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: January 25, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »
Devotee: It is so difficult to spot the mind. The same difficulty is shared by all.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: You can never find the mind through mind. Pass beyond it in order to find it non-existent.

Devotee: Then one must directly go to seek the ego. Is it so?

Sri Bhagwan: That's it. Mind, ego, intellect are all different names for one single inner organ (antahkarana). The mind is only the aggregate of thoughts. Thoughts cannot exist but for the ego. So all thoughts are pervaded by ego (aham). Seek wherefrom the 'I' rises and the other thoughts will disappear.

Devotee: What remains over cannot be 'I', but Pure Consciousness.

Sri Bhagwan: Quite so. You start seeking happiness. On analysis you find that misery is caused by thoughts. They are called the mind. While trying to control the mind you seek the 'I' and get fixed in Being-Knowledge-Bliss.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:19:43 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: January 25, 2019, 11:51:00 AM »
Devotee: This seems to contradict the statements that the self is beyond the mind, that the mind cannot know Brahman, that it is beyond thought and speech.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: That is why they say that mind is two-fold; there is the higher pure mind as well as the lower impure mind. The impure mind cannot know but the pure knows. It does not mean that the pure mind measures the immeasurable Self, the Brahman, It means the self makes itself felt in the pure mind so that even when you are in the midst of thoughts you feel the Presence, you realize the truth that you are one with the deeper self and the thought-waves are there only on the surface.

Devotee: That means the mano-nasha (destruction of the mind) or the ahankara nasha (destruction of the ego). The destruction of the mind or of the ego you speak of is then not an absolute destruction.

Sri Bhagwan: Yes. The mind gets clear of impurities and becomes pure enough to reflect the truth, the real Self. This is impossible when the ego is active and assertive.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: January 26, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
ॐ नमो भगवते श्री रमणाय ।
Om Namo Bhagavate Shri Ramanaya!

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: The state of non-emergence of 'I' is the state of Pure Being, Pure Awareness. This can be achieved only through enquiring 'Who am I?' Just as a man would dive in order to get something that had fallen in water, so one would dive into oneself with a keen one-pointedness and find the place whence the 'I' originates. The only enquiry leading to Self-knowledge is seeking the source of the feeling 'I'. If one enquires 'Who am I?' within, the individual 'I', the limited 'I' falls down abashed as soon as one reaches the Heart. Immediately Reality manifests itself spontaneously as 'I', 'I'. Although it reveals itself as 'I', it is not the limited 'I' known to us, but the Perfect Being, the Eternal 'I', the Divine Essence in us. The Self, the Truth that you seek to know is thus verily yourself. 

Note: Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi often used the Word ?Heart? for Pure Reality, the Self within us.  anil
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:37:43 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: January 26, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
Sri P. Bannerji (who has recently come after a stay at Aurobindo's Ashram) asked Bhagavan, "Is it a condition precedent for the Lord showing grace that one must be completely devoted? Would not the Lord naturally in his grace be kind towards all his children whether they are devoted or not?"

Bhagavan Sri Ramana: How can one help being devoted? Everyone loves himself. That is experience. If the Self were not his dearest object, would one love it? The Self or Lord is not somewhere else but is inside each of us and in loving oneself, one loves only the Self.

Dear devotees, Sri Bannerji could not understand how the above was an answer to his question.

Hence, Sri Devaraja Mudaliar explained beautifully to him the import of Sri Bhagwan's Teaching thus, "Bhagavan has told us more than once, 'The Lord's grace is always flowing. There is no time at which it is not flowing, and no person towards whom it is not flowing. But only those can receive it who have developed the capacity. Devotion is a condition precedent, not for the flowing of grace from the Lord, but for your being able to receive and assimilate the grace which is there always flowing'."

Anil
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:32:47 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: January 26, 2019, 01:11:06 PM »
Devotee: Is it not hypnotism that you are talking about?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana laughed and replied: You are already hypnotized that you are the body, that you must make an effort to reach somewhere. What I am telling you is to dehypnotize yourself from all these concepts.