Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 1171955 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #5685 on: January 15, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: God and the Guru will only show the way to release; they will not by themselves take the soul to the state of release. In truth, God and the Guru are not different. Just as the prey which has fallen into the jaws of a tiger has no escape, so those who have come within the ambit of the Guru's gracious look will be saved by the Guru and will not get lost; yet, each one should by his own effort pursue the path shown by God or Guru and gain release. One can know oneself only with one's own eye of knowledge, and not with somebody else's. Does he who is Rama require the help of a mirror to know that he is Rama?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:59:32 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: January 16, 2019, 09:25:56 AM »
Devotee (Mrs. J.): Why then do we need to concentrate?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana. Concentration, meditation and all spiritual practices are not performed with the object of realising the Self, because the Self is ever-present, but of realising the non-existence of ignorance. Every man admits his own existence and does not need a mirror to prove it to him. Existence is awareness, which is the negation of ignorance. Then why does a man suffer? Because he imagines himself other than what he in reality is, e.g., the body, this, that, and the other - "I am Gopal, son of Parashuram, father of Natesan," etc. In reality he is the intelligent "I-Am" alone, stripped of qualities and superimpositions, of names and forms. Does he see his body and all these qualities, shapes and colours in dreamless sleep? Yet he does not deny that he is then himself existing even without a body. He must hold on to that existence, that lone being - Kaivalya - even when he is in the waking state. The man of wisdom simply is. "I-Am-That-I-Am" sums up the whole Truth. The method is summed up by "Be still and know that I am God." What does stillness mean? Cessation of thinking, which is the universe of forms, colours, qualities, time, space, all concepts and precepts whatever.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:29:15 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: January 16, 2019, 10:09:22 AM »
Bhagavan Sri Ramana: "He says he has 'Liberate Yourself' for his motto. But why should there be any motto? Liberation is our very nature. We are that. The very fact that we wish for liberation shows that freedom from all bondage is our real nature. That has not got to be freshly acquired. All that is necessary is to get rid of the false notion that we are bound.
When we achieve that, there will be no desire or thought of any sort. So long as one desires liberation, so long, you may take it, one is in bondage."
He also said, "People are afraid that when ego or mind is killed, the result may be a mere blank and not happiness. What really happens is that the thinker, the object of thought and thinking, all merge in the one Source, which is Consciousness and Bliss itself, and thus that state is neither inert nor blank. I don't understand why people should be afraid of that state in which all thoughts cease to exist and the mind is killed. They are every day experiencing that state in sleep. There is no mind or thought in sleep. Yet when one rises from sleep one says, 'I slept happily'. Sleep is so dear to everyone that no one, prince or beggar, can do without it. And when one wants to sleep, nothing however high in the range of all the worldly enjoyments can tempt him from much desired sleep. A king wants to go to sleep, let us say. His queen, dear to him above all other things, comes then and disturbs him. But even her, he then brushes aside and prefers to go to sleep. That is an indication of the supreme happiness that is to be had in that state where all thoughts cease. If one is not afraid of going to sleep, I don't see why one should be afraid of killing the mind or ego by sadhana (spiritual practice)."

Dear devotees, Bhagwan Sri Ramana thus kept goading His devotees to discard the 'abhasa' (the fleeting and the transient), and to hold fast only to the eternal Truth and Presence. Since the ego is itself the root and the primal form of ignorance, its annihilation alone is the Supreme Jnana (Knowledge) and the only true manifestation of the blessed Grace. Since the ego, that is, the feeling 'I am the body', is the cause of separation from God, and since the ego is the root from of wretchedness, its annihilation alone is the aim of all the four Yogas.
Sri Bhagwan once observed that so long as the cloud of ego hides the moon of Jnana (Knowledge), the Lily of the Self will not bloom. And the Divine Poet Sri Muruganar of the divine court of Sri Bhagwan has sung:   

"The nature of the ego is similar to that of an elf, being very enthusiastic, rising in many wicked ways by means of innumerable imaginations, being erratic in behaviour, and knowing only things other than itself. But the nature of Self is mere Existence-Consciousness."

Anil.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:13:10 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: January 17, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi:

"What use is the learning of those who do not seek to wipe out the letters of destiny (from their brow) by enquiring: 'Whence is the birth of us who know the letters?' They have sunk to the level of a gramophone. What else are they, O Arunachala?"

"It is those who are not learned that are saved rather than those whose ego has not yet subsided in spite of their learning. The unlearned are saved from the relentless grip of the devil of self-infatuation; they are saved from the malady of a myriad whirling thoughts and words; they are saved from running after wealth. It is from more than one evil that they are saved. Similarly he had no use for theoretical discussions. It is due to illusion born of ignorance that men fail to recognise that which is always and for everybody the inherent Reality dwelling in its natural Heart-Centre and to abide in it, and that instead they argue that it exists or does not exist, that it has form or has not form, or is non-dual or is dual."                                                   

"Can anything appear apart from that which is eternal and perfect? This kind of dispute is endless. Do not engage in it. Instead turn your mind inward and put an end to all this. There is no finality in disputations."

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:03:42 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: January 17, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana: To those who have not realised the Self as well as to those who have, the world is real. But to the former, Truth is adapted to the form of the world whereas to the latter Truth shines as the formless Perfection and the Substratum of the world. This is the only difference between them.

Sri Arthur Osborne: As I recalled Bhagavan saying sometimes that unreal (mithya, imaginary) and real (satyam) mean the same, but did not quite understand.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  "Yes, I do sometimes say that. What do you mean by real? What is it that you call real?"

Sri Osborne answered: "According to Vedanta, only that which is permanent and unchanging can be called real. That is the meaning of Reality."

Then Sri Bhagavan said: "The names and forms which constitute the world continually change and perish and are therefore called unreal. It is unreal (imaginary) to limit the Self to these names and forms and real to regard all as the Self. The non-dualist says that the world is unreal, but he also says, 'All this is Brahman'. So it is clear that what he condemns is, regarding the world as objectively real in itself, not regarding it as Brahman. He who sees the Self sees the Self alone in the world also. It is immaterial to the Enlightened whether the world appears or not. In either case, his attention is turned to the Self. It is like the letters and the paper on which they are printed. You are so engrossed in the letters that you forget about the paper, but the Enlightened sees the paper as the substratum whether the letters appear on it or not.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:23:53 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: January 17, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »
Devotee: When I enquire into the origin of thoughts, there is the perception of the 'I' but it does not satisfy me.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Quite right. Because this perception of 'I' is associated with a form, perhaps with the physical body. Nothing should be associated with the pure Self. The Self is the pure Reality in whose light the body, the ego and all else shine. When all
thoughts are stilled, pure Consciousness remains over.

Devotee: How did the ego arise

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: There is no ego. If there were, you would have to admit of two selves in you. Therefore there is no ignorance. If you enquire into the Self, ignorance, which is already non-existent, will be found not to exist and you will say that it has fled.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: January 18, 2019, 09:04:16 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: You want to see God. But you do not realize that God is within you.

Visitor: I am very much confused. Kindly tell me clearly. My friends told me that you are the greatest Authority.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana spoke slowly and emphatically:

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: If you say that God is to be seen, the necessary implication is that He cannot be seen now but only sometime in the future. Then it would also mean that He appears and disappears. That which appears and disappears cannot be the Truth, the Eternal. Therefore, instead of seeing God it is better to be God. Isn't it? Instead of losing the vision of God and regaining it would it not be far better to be God? If He is true God He must be your Inner Resident. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: January 18, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
INITIAL  DOUBTS

Devotee:  You say one can realise the self by a search of it. What is the character of this search?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi:  You are the mind or think that you are the mind. The mind is nothing but thoughts. Now  behind every particular thought there is a general thought  which is the  ?I?,  that is yourself. Let us call this  ?I?  the first thought. Stick to this I-thought and question it to find out what it is. When this question takes strong  hold on you, you cannot think of other thoughts.

Devotee: When I do like this and cling to myself, i.e., the I-thought, other thoughts do come and go, but I say to myself 'Who am I?' and there is no answer forthcoming. To be in this condition is the Sadhana or practice of  Atma-Nishtha, the exalted state of the Self. Is it so?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana:  This is a mistake that people often make. What  happens when you make a serious quest for the Self is  that the I-thought as a thought disappears, something else from the depths takes hold of you and that is not the  ?I?  which commenced the quest.

Devotee:  What is this something else?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: That is the real Self, the import of I. It is not the ego. It is the Supreme Being itself.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: January 19, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

Bhagavan always says, "Know yourself first. What kind of knowledge is the knowledge of diverse things when the Self that is true Knowledge remains unknown?" He often asked the questioner: "Who asks the question?" That turned the questioner inwards. Many realized in Bhagavan's Presence that He is the Core of one's own being and that He dwells in one's own heart.

"Turn Inward", "Be". The Sadguru in human form pushes you inward and when you really, wholly turn inward, the Sadguru who is ever present in everyone as the Self, takes you over from within. "Be the Self".

One is Self. One is Chit, Pure Consciousness. One is God because the pure Consciousness is limitless, eternal , all-pervasive, non-dual and is perfect Bliss and Peace. In Bhagwan Ramana the external and internal Guru are one. If seeing the Self is seeing God, seeing Sri Ramana is to be the Self. SO INSTANT IS THE TRANSMISSION !
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:42:52 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: January 19, 2019, 12:45:26 PM »
Devotee: Why do we have a place such as the heart to concentrate on for meditation?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: Because you seek true Consciousness. Where can you find it? Can you attain it outside yourself? You have to find it internally. Therefore you are directed inward. The Heart is the Seat of Consciousness or Consciousness itself. I ask you to observe where the 'I' arises in your body, but it is not really quite correct to say that the 'I' arises from and merges in the chest at the right side. The Heart is another name for Reality and this is neither inside nor outside the body. There can be no in or out for it, since it alone is. I do not mean by 'heart' any physiological organ or any plexus or nerves or anything like that; but so long as a man identifies himself with the body or thinks he is in the body, he is advised to see where in the body the 'I'-thought arises and merges again. It must be the heart at the right side of the chest since every man of whatever race and religion and in whatever language he may be speaking, points to the right side of the chest to indicate himself when he says 'I'. This is so all over the world, so that must be the place. And by keenly watching the emergence of the 'I'-thought on waking and its subsidence on going to sleep, one can see that it is in the heart on the right side.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:47:09 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: January 20, 2019, 10:00:13 AM »
Visitor: I am keen on knowing the best method for spiritual sadhana. I find that the scriptures are using technical terms and not simple expressions.

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Why worry about philosophical terms which are difficult. Find out your true nature before attempting to know about the world and God. The world is not apart from you.

Visitor: I will certainly follow your advice but before doing so, I need necessary details to start with.

Bhawan Sri Ramana: Sometimes you are happy and at other times you are miserable. You should attempt to enquire to whom this happiness and sorrow pertain. If you say they are 'for me', then find out who is that ?me?. If you know who you are, everything is solved. Intense longing for spiritual progress will not come overnight. Existence is one?s true nature. Enquire into the Self and remain quiet.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: January 20, 2019, 10:01:56 AM »
"The nature of bondage is merely the rising, ruinous thought ?I am different from the reality?. Since one surely cannot remain separate from the reality, reject that thought whenever it rises."

Sri Muruganar, Guru Vachaka Kovai (779)

Dear devotees, what follows is a beautiful commentary on the above Verse by Sri Sadhu Om:

Sri Sadhu Om: "Is it not by conceiving an imaginary boundary line in the undivided sheet of the Indian Ocean that we determine 'This is the Bay of Bengal?' This line is merely a thought. In truth the ocean has never been divided. An imaginary form whose limit is determined by this thought, becomes the Bay of Bengal. Likewise, it is only because the existence-consciousness 'I' is wrongly imagined
as 'I am limited to this body' that the feeling 'I am a limited and bound individual, separate from the Self' comes into existence. Is not this bondage merely a thought or an imagination? Hence, since Liberation from bondage is only the removal of the first thought 'I am the body', this verse instructs that one should remove that thought by vichara whenever it rises."

Anil
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:05:21 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: January 21, 2019, 09:30:41 AM »
Devotee: What is happiness?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana Maharshi: Happiness is the very nature of the Self; happiness and the Self are not different. There is no happiness in any object of the world. We imagine through our ignorance that we derive happiness from objects. When the mind goes out, it experiences misery. In truth, when its desires are fulfilled, it returns to its own place and enjoys the happiness that is the Self. Similarly, in the states of sleep, samadhi and fainting, and when the object desired is obtained or the object disliked is removed, the mind becomes inward-turned, and enjoys pure Self-happiness. Thus the mind moves without rest alternately going out of the Self and returning to it. Under the tree the shade is pleasant; out in the open the heat is scorching. A person who has been going about in the sun feels cool when he reaches the shade. Someone who keeps on going from the shade into the sun and then back into the shade is a fool. A wise man stays permanently in the shade. Similarly, the mind of the one who knows the truth does not leave Brahman. The mind of the ignorant, on the contrary, revolves in the world, feeling miserable, and for a little time returns to Brahman to experience happiness. In fact, what is called the world is only thought. When the world disappears, i.e., when there is no thought, the mind experiences happiness; and when the world appears, it goes through misery.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: January 21, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
Dear devotees, Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that while practising Self-enquiry, we must fix our attention only and only on the 'I'-consciousness, which exists and shines as oneself, instead of any second or third person thoughts and objects, or any of the five sheaths, or any other centre such as a chakra. What follows is a beautiful commentary by Sri Sadhu Om in which he has succinctly shown that a mind attending only to 'I'-consciousness or the only the first person is no more a mind but verily the consciousness aspect of the Self.

Sri Sadhu Om:

Instead of being directed towards any second or third person, is not our power of attention, which was hitherto called mind or intellect, thus now directed only towards the first person? Although we formally refer to it as ?directed?, in truth it is not of the nature of a 'doing' (kriya-rupam) in the form of directing or being directed; it is of the nature of 'being' or 'existing' (sat-rupam). Because the second and third persons (including thoughts) are alien or external to us, our attention paid to them was of the nature of a 'doing' (kriya). But this very attention, when fixed on the non-alien first person feeling, 'I', loses the nature of ?paying? and remains in the form of 'being', and therefore it is of the nature of non-doing (akriya) or inaction (nishkriya). So long as our power of attention was dwelling upon second and third persons, it was called 'the mind' or 'the intellect', and its attending was called a doing (kriya) or an action (karma). Only that which is done by the mind is an action. But on the other hand, as soon as the attention is fixed on the first person (or Self), it loses its mean names such as mind, intellect or ego sense. Moreover, that attention is no longer even an action, but inaction (akarma) or the state of 'being still' (summa iruttal). Therefore, the mind which attends to Self is no more the mind; it is the consciousness aspect of Self (atma-chit-rupam)! Likewise, so long as it attends to the second and third persons (the world), it is not the consciousness aspect of Self; It is the mind, the reflected form of consciousness (chit-abhasa-rupam)! Hence, since Self-attention is not a doing (kriya), it is not an action (karma). That is, Self alone realizes Self; the ego does not !!

Dear devotees, the mind which is seized with a burning desire for Self-attention, which alone is the correct form of the Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is said to be the fully mature one. Since it is not inclined anymore to attend to anything other than oneself (first person) and not to any second and third persons whatever, it can be said that it has reached the pinnacle of desirelessness, for all sorts of desires and attachments pertain only to second and third persons.

Pranam, 
 Anil
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:38:32 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: January 21, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »
Devotee: If we remain in that state, how can we attend to worldly activity?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana: With an imperfect, diluted  mind, you can claim to have accomplished so much. But that very mind gets its light from the Self only. Just as all living beings get energy from the Sun, this thinking process gets its energy from the Self. If borrowed glory can achieve so much, is it difficult to conceive that with the Source Energy you would be better equipped?